PDA

View Full Version : Leaving on a jet plane~

Rye
09-17-2009, 03:42 AM
I'm leaving on plane in 7 days! It'll be a flight with a stop over in Dublin. I've only had a plane flight once before, when I was in Italy. It was almost as long as this one is gonna be.

How many times have you been on a plane? Good experiences? Bad? Did you have WI-FI?! Did you get to sleep? Did you use sleep meds to sleep!? DISH IT ALL.

Meat Puppet
09-17-2009, 03:47 AM
Like 10000 times in the past year or it feels that way

Yar
09-17-2009, 03:52 AM
Yes plenty of times. I know my way around Port Columbus International Airport now. :D

I usually have fun unless it's stormy weather. Then I get sick. :S I've flown to (off the top of my head) Chicago, Denver, Charlotte, Cincinnati, Atlanta I think as well. xD More places too.

Freya
09-17-2009, 04:00 AM
I flew to germany then left out of paris. I found out I can't sleep on planes. Also that I can't be near the window. ALSO that taking off and landing scare me.

Kirobaito
09-17-2009, 04:03 AM
1998: Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport to Washington Dulles (round trip)
2000: DFW to New York LaGuardia (round trip)
2001: DFW to Orlando International Airport (round trip)
2004: DFW to Raleigh-Durham International Airport (round trip)
2005: DFW to Chicago O'Hare (round trip)
2005: DFW to Boston Logan (round trip)
2006: DFW to Rome International Airport (via Chicago O'Hare)
2006: London Gatwick to DFW
2008: DFW to Seattle-Tacoma International Airport
2008: Ted Stevens International Airport (Anchorage) to DFW
2008: Southwest Florida International Airport to DFW (via Miami International Airport)
2008: DFW to Edinburgh International Airport (via London Heathrow) (round trip)

Those are all of the plane flights I have been on.

The majority of these flights have been fine. I don't have a lot of problems on planes. Sometimes my ears pop a lot when we descend. Sometimes not. No plane I have been on has Wi-Fi, as I have not flown since that feature has been added.

Sometimes I sleep, and sometimes I don't. If I want to sleep, I can. On my way to Edinburgh, I did not sleep at all, and didn't ever want to, even though it was a 12-hour flight through the night.

Rye
09-17-2009, 04:12 AM
Awww man, KB, that dissapoints me. xD My flight is over night, 8 hours until I get to Dublin, and I was hoping to sleep off the jet lag so I'm not a sleepless zombie-face when Hux greets me the next morning. I don't sleep on public transport, so I'm thinking of taking some slipping medication so that I'm out for a good 8 hours.

rubah
09-17-2009, 04:16 AM
Did you have WI-FI?!
>:[

my plane rides:

2000- Little Rock -> Dallas/Ft. Worth -> San Juan -> St. Croix The last bit was on a tiny little plane:D so cute
2001- Little Rock -> St. Louis -> Chicago, kinda boring
2006- Little Rock -> Atlanta -> London, LONG. LONELY. sat across the isle from a guy who started making some uncomfortable chat after he'd imbibed a bit.
Little Rock -> Memphis -> Indianapolis, :bigsmile:
2007- Little Rock -> Chicago -> Indianapolis
Little Rock -> St. Louis -> Indianapolis
2008- Little Rock -> Dallas/Ft. Worth -> Paris, even longer than the london trip, but I learned a little on that trip, so it maybe wasn't as bad, idk.
2009- Little Rock -> Memphis -> Columbus

Some trips had different returns, so I've also been through Detroit (very trippy) and the Northwest Arkansas Regional airports.

At this point, I'm sick of flying, and will do it minimally until I can afford to fly business class >:[

Computers on airplanes (At least without internet) are massively overrated, unless you're working on some sort of draft or something. YOu also only have a couple of hours battery life, thus even worse. I did play many games of tetris one time, and blogged the moon.

Anymore, as I've grown older, the ability to sit patiently and wait has come to me, so I really don't take much in the way of entertainment. I read quite a bit of The Count of Monte Cristo while returning from London, but that's really about the only time I've read.

an MP3 player is invaluable if only for the hours of entertainment. You go a little crazy about hour 6. Dinner has been served, you've missed enough of the inflight movie to ignore it, and everyone around you is gearing down for sleep. If you can't sleep, then listen to a song on repeat, and stare out of the window until dawn.
http://www.snowy-day.net/pictures/events/besancon/j%27attends%20l%27aurore.jpg

Kirobaito
09-17-2009, 04:17 AM
Awww man, KB, that dissapoints me. xD My flight is over night, 8 hours until I get to Dublin, and I was hoping to sleep off the jet lag so I'm not a sleepless zombie-face when Hux greets me the next morning. I don't sleep on public transport, so I'm thinking of taking some slipping medication so that I'm out for a good 8 hours.
If you have the same anxiety/excitement that I did, which you likely will, you will not be able to sleep without medication. On 777s now, though, it's so easy to entertain yourself with the numerous movies and episodes of the Big Bang Theory available to you. I got to Edinburgh about noon, got to my apartment at about 3, and spent three hours exploring before collapsing from jet lag. I was in my apartment at the time, luckily, so I didn't just fall over on the street.

Rye
09-17-2009, 04:30 AM
I'm hoping that airplanes, like AMTRAK trains, have a little plug outlet for the laptop, since I requested the window seat, so I'll be able to have a British movie marathon until I fall asleep to pump me up! Bridget Jones w00t!

I know Delta airlines says they have wi-fi, but I don't think it's free, nor do I think it's on international. ;_;

Everyone has flown so much more than me. I am jealous. I really like planes, even when I was 10 and I was stir-crazy on the 8 hour flight to Milan. I don't mind the ear poppy sensation, since you get it everytime you take a train into Manhattan, because of the sudden drop underground into the subway station.

Agent Proto
09-17-2009, 04:40 AM
I've been on several planes and most of the time I stay awake, mainly because I find it difficult to fall asleep in the seats. I find them pretty uncomfortable most of the time. I've flown cross country a few times during the last couple of years, mainly when I was going to visit my ex in California when we were still dating. I also remember flying halfway around the world to the Philippines with my mom. That was one hell of a trip. We stopped by Alaska, Taiwan, and finally made it to Manilla. The experiences were mildly good for the most part.

Miriel
09-17-2009, 04:50 AM
Do yourself a favor and bring a pillow for the ride. Especially for long international flights, those dinky ones they sometimes provide you with doesn't help at all and you'll be wishing you had one.

I've flown from CA to South Korea, New York, Seattle, Mexico, Paris, Paris to Barcelona, Barcelona to Madrid and a bunch more short flights like from LA to SF or LA to Vegas. Never once enjoyed flying. At one point I swore never to fly again. It's exhausting traveling that way. Reading in planes or cars gives me a headache so I rely mostly on in-flight movies and an ipod full of episodes of whatever show I'm currently watching. On the Spain trip we watched a lot of Big Bang Theory which helped the time go by. On the return flight Del Murder and I watched like 4 movies, Taken, Yes Man, Marley and Me, He's Just Not that Into You. But yeah, sleeping is extremely uncomfortable unless you have a nice cushy pillow to rest your head on.

Bunny
09-17-2009, 04:55 AM
I haven't flown internationally yet but I used to frequently make trips from coast-to-coast and I've also flown from Colorado to Hawaii, which are each a couple of hours long. Enough to warrant several movies and provided meals. For the most part, the flights are decent enough and I can't recall a single terrible flight I've been on.

Kirobaito
09-17-2009, 05:09 AM
I'm hoping that airplanes, like AMTRAK trains, have a little plug outlet for the laptop, since I requested the window seat, so I'll be able to have a British movie marathon until I fall asleep to pump me up! Bridget Jones w00t!

I know Delta airlines says they have wi-fi, but I don't think it's free, nor do I think it's on international. ;_;

Everyone has flown so much more than me. I am jealous. I really like planes, even when I was 10 and I was stir-crazy on the 8 hour flight to Milan. I don't mind the ear poppy sensation, since you get it everytime you take a train into Manhattan, because of the sudden drop underground into the subway station.
First-class might. If you're not in first class, in all likelihood you won't have an outlet. There are plenty of movies, though, some of them British. The BBC has a channel on the 777 network, IIRC.

Rye
09-17-2009, 05:16 AM
I WISH I was in first-class. Those things cost like, 7,000 dollars! I could never foresee affording that ever. xD

I had to take a one-stop over flight just because straight flight would cost to much. I managed to get a flight under $500 dollars, unf unf unf!

Bummer on the outlet tho. ;;

And I'll look into a nice big pillow, Miriel! Hopefully that + being on the window will be comfy enough for sleep.

Rodarian
09-17-2009, 05:25 AM
I'm a seasoned taaveller so yes I've frequently been on aircrafts of every type.
Some of my wishful thinking in my youth was to be a pilot.I even applied to be a flight attendant once for Emirates.
Last trip I made was to Thailand for spring break.

Most of my flying experience has been a pleasant one. I hardly make a fuss unless its really needed.. Actually its one way to get upgrade. Be as polite as possible while getting your way.

Oh another thing..Dress appropriately. Regardless of whether you travel in economy or first class, dress smart. You don't have to go in a suit or your cocktail outfit mind you! LOL Just don't dress like a slob or wear flip flops or anything remotely undressing. Call me old fashion but nothing urks me more than dressing as if you just rolled out of bed and found something lying on the floor to wear.

If you look at it historically.. People always looked fashionable while travelling because whoever is seeing you knows that you came and went in style.

Bon Voyage Rye ! ^_^

Miriel
09-17-2009, 06:17 AM
Oh another thing..Dress appropriately. Regardless of whether you travel in economy or first class, dress smart. You don't have to go in a suit or your cocktail outfit mind you! LOL Just don't dress like a slob or wear flip flops or anything remotely undressing. Call me old fashion but nothing urks me more than dressing as if you just rolled out of bed and found something lying on the floor to wear.

If you look at it historically.. People always looked fashionable while travelling because whoever is seeing you knows that you came and went in style.

Oh man, I do the opposite of this. :p I've flat out worn pajamas to the airport. I always found that the BEST thing to wear on long flights are loose and comfy clothing. The last flight I took I wore a dress cause I knew I'd be meeting my boyfriend's grandparents at the airport and lemme tell ya, I wanted to crawl out of that dress and into some sweats and a baggy shirt. Unless you have someone to impress on the other side, stick with comfy clothes.

Also, flip flops are amazing and should be worn everywhere. Especially at the airport where they make you take off your shoes anyway.

Bunny
09-17-2009, 06:18 AM
You don't have to go in a suit or your cocktail outfit mind you! LOL Just don't dress like a slob or wear flip flops or anything remotely undressing. Call me old fashion but nothing urks me more than dressing as if you just rolled out of bed and found something lying on the floor to wear.

God, you would loathe me then. I dress comfortably, I'm not out to impress anyone with my clothing or matching skills. My wit is impressive enough.

Breine
09-17-2009, 07:36 AM
How many times I've been on a plane? Gosh, I have no idea.. Many times! I've lost count :count:

I like flying. You get plane food and they give you free juice, coffee, tea and sometimes even wine. Also, free movies. There are many perks. I also like it when the plane takes off... swooooosssshh.
Bring a pillow and comfy clothes. Some people find it hard to fall asleep on planes, so maybe bring ear plugs and such.

Rodarian
09-17-2009, 07:48 AM

Oh man, I do the opposite of this. :p I've flat out worn pajamas to the airport. I always found that the BEST thing to wear on long flights are loose and comfy clothing. The last flight I took I wore a dress cause I knew I'd be meeting my boyfriend's grandparents at the airport and lemme tell ya, I wanted to crawl out of that dress and into some sweats and a baggy shirt. Unless you have someone to impress on the other side, stick with comfy clothes.

Also, flip flops are amazing and should be worn everywhere. Especially at the airport where they make you take off your shoes anyway.

Hahaha I would so give you an evil stare! LOL I appear to forgot nother fact. Yes do dress comfortably. Thats a given..But let me tell you that it its better to wear a loose fit pants than pjs! I know people want comfort but not in pjs! And I still say no to flip flops! You don't have to wear heels. Ballet flats are easier on the eyes and also less effort to slip on and off!!

You don't have to go in a suit or your cocktail outfit mind you! LOL Just don't dress like a slob or wear flip flops or anything remotely undressing. Call me old fashion but nothing urks me more than dressing as if you just rolled out of bed and found something lying on the floor to wear.

God, you would loathe me then. I dress comfortably, I'm not out to impress anyone with my clothing or matching skills. My wit is impressive enough.

Its not about impressing everyone..But you get a little more incentive in terms of politeness and that extra effort the ground/cabin crew will do for you if you dress moderately better.
Unless you're on a destination trip from one tropic to another you can wear your resort clothing..However anything before that I would highly disaprove! And as I mentioned with Mirel's . Comfort is important but try not looking like a schmeel!

Marshall Banana
09-17-2009, 07:51 AM

Hahaha I would so give you an evil stare! LOL I appear to forgot nother fact. Yes do dress comfortably. Thats a given..But let me tell you that it its better to wear a loose fit pants than pjs! I know people want comfort but not in pjs! And I still say no to flip flops! You don't have to wear heels. Ballet flats are easier on the eyes and also less effort to slip on and off!!

Its not about impressing everyone..But you get a little more incentive in terms of politeness and that extra effort the ground/cabin crew will do for you if you dress moderately better.
Unless you're on a destination trip from one tropic to another you can wear your resort clothing..However anything before that I would highly disaprove! And as I mentioned with Mirel's . Comfort is important but try not looking like a schmeel!
I disapprove of your disapproving!

Rodarian
09-17-2009, 07:55 AM
Well that's your right I suppose...Just don't make me catch you wearing something god awful..... You just may find a lil crack on the near window seat... :evilking:

Quindiana Jones
09-17-2009, 10:14 AM
The first time I went on a plane, I was two and going to Tunisia with my family. The second time I was 16 going to Canada alone. It was awesome. Nine and a half hour flight. Nice. With 7 hours time difference. I think. Something like that. It was gorgeous on the way back, because the sun kind of set. It, like, bobbed just under the clouds then stayed there an popped back up two hours later. I watched the sun set and rise in two hours. xD

Parker
09-17-2009, 10:55 AM
I've never flown a plane for more than 5 hours so I am not looking forward to next monday when I have like 20 hours of travelling to do going to Vegas (including the 5 hour layover in Detroit or Minneapolis and like 3 hours coach ride to the airport).

Blue Harvest
09-17-2009, 11:02 AM
I've never been on a plane and would probably hate it.

Rantz
09-17-2009, 01:34 PM
I've flown a few times, probably around ten times or so in total. I agree with everything Miriel has said. I find the single most important thing for a not-so-painful flight is simply being comfortable. A nice pillow and comfortable clothes. An mp3 player is also a must-have for me. I sleep through most of the flight.

Madame Adequate
09-17-2009, 01:41 PM
I've flown dozens and dozens of times in my life, mostly short-haul (Just from England to Northern Ireland) but quite a few long flights to and from the US as well. Short ones are no problem at all, you barely get comfy, they come around with the snack cart, and oh hey we're landing how about that.

Long flights can be pretty rough sometimes. I've been on some that are just fine, but a couple I've had have just been a bad combination of factors and it hasn't been fun. I agree with Miriel about bringing a pillow. Don't worry about entertainment - there's plenty to watch and listen to, I usually find there are MORE movies to watch than I have a chance to. I usually don't have trouble sleeping but regardless of what I am doing, the whole being over 6' thing doesn't gel so well with the whole packed in like sardines thing and my legs are often very cramped by the end.

Oh, and yeah, wear the most comfortable things you can find. Something loose and airy is best so honesty, PJs if I thought for one second you would wear PJs in public :p Nothing wrong with looking nice but trust, you'll go insane if you're uncomfortable.

Peegee
09-17-2009, 02:33 PM
If you get wifi I will be surprised. I've flown to Vancouver and Hong Kong (2x) and did not get wifi.

You will get an a/c outlet unless the airplane is cheap. So bring your Raipod or other electronic toys.

But I bet you'll be watching videos/movies the entire time anyway. And they feed you like all the time, so watch out for that :p

Rodarian
09-17-2009, 03:11 PM
*Is anti pj on a plane!* :colbert:

Marshall Banana
09-17-2009, 03:20 PM
Pajamas are cute.

Rodarian
09-17-2009, 03:35 PM
Yea for the bedroom or sleepovers or camping out....Not on a plane unless it has a private room! :P So no no no!!

Marshall Banana
09-17-2009, 03:40 PM
Rye, wear pajamas just to spite him!

rubah
09-17-2009, 03:48 PM
Rodarian, you'd almost* approve of the stu and I dressed the first few times we flew to meet one another. He'd wear a nice blue shirt and khakis, and I had a cute little blue dress, and it was like we were incognito starlets or something ;D

*I wore flipflops.

Rye
09-17-2009, 04:03 PM
If I wore PJs in public, my Mom would yell at me and try to make me change, like I was a 5 year old who dressed themselves for the first time. xD

I ALREADY GOT MY OUTFIT PICKED, because I like to pretend that something nice is gonna happen to me when I get off the plane, like celebrity photo shoot! Oooh, I told you from my best side, darlin'~ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xqpafUqVT4) :bigsmile:

I think it'll be too cold for sandals, so probably an easily slipped off pair of flats, a pretty new white camisole I bought, and a black cardigan, with jeans. It's a really surprisingly comfy outfit. Maybe a dress if it isn't English death weather. DO YOU APPROVE, RODARIAN? =D

scrumpleberry
09-17-2009, 05:18 PM
I've been on a good few short flights. I could probably count them up but it's not worth the trouble. I enjoy flying, but my ears are horrible and don't pop. Nothing works and then I can't hear properly for days >(

Book/mp3 player :bigsmile: I've never tried to use something with a screen like a laptop or DS.

Kirobaito
09-17-2009, 05:30 PM
I typically wear jeans on flights, rather than shorts, because it can get cold in the cabin. I'll also likely bring a t-shirt and then a small pullover or something, that I can take off if I get too hot.

I have no issues with people wearing pajamas, though. I haven't taken any flights less than 3 hours*, I don't think, so if you're going to be there for a while, you might as well be comfortable.

* Excludes connecting flights such as from Heathrow to EDI.

Marshall Banana
09-17-2009, 05:41 PM
DO YOU APPROVE, RODARIAN? =D
I'M BANNING HIM!

Rodarian
09-17-2009, 06:19 PM
If I wore PJs in public, my Mom would yell at me and try to make me change, like I was a 5 year old who dressed themselves for the first time. xD

I ALREADY GOT MY OUTFIT PICKED, because I like to pretend that something nice is gonna happen to me when I get off the plane, like celebrity photo shoot! Oooh, I told you from my best side, darlin'~ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xqpafUqVT4) :bigsmile:

I think it'll be too cold for sandals, so probably an easily slipped off pair of flats, a pretty new white camisole I bought, and a black cardigan, with jeans. It's a really surprisingly comfy outfit. Maybe a dress if it isn't English death weather. DO YOU APPROVE, RODARIAN? =D

I approve a great deal! :D and I'll let Rubah slide cause she made the effort! And please call me Rod or Roddy! :D

Jess
09-17-2009, 07:03 PM
I've flown a few times.

Flights (all return trips):
London - Crete
London - Cyprus
London - Tunisia
London - Bulgaria
London - Edinburgh

I don't mind the majority of the flight. The take-off and landing is painful for me, because I'm really sensitive to the pressure-change and it really really hurts my ears to the point of bursting into tears. :( but other than that, I don't mind it.

Unless there is turbulence (which I've only had on a couple of the flights I've been on), I find it fairly easy to sleep. It's a much smoother ride than a bus/train ride!

I actually really like airplane food xD most people I know, don't like it. but every in-flight meal I've ever had has actually been pretty nice! Especially the breakfast I had on the way back from Bulgaria at like 3am in the morning xD

I dress comfortably - and appropriately for the country I'm going to be landing in. Most of the time, I've been going somewhere on holiday to a hot country, so I've worn sandals/dresses.etc ... but Rye, as you're coming to England - I suggest warm clothes! It's been pretty chilly for the past few days... I've been getting by OK in cardi's and jumpers but tomorrow I'm going to buy a new leather jacket for warmth. I've seen a lot of people in coats already! :( I miss summertimes already!

Parker
09-17-2009, 07:59 PM
Yea make sure you bring something warm/waterproof in your handluggage just in case!

Mogi
09-17-2009, 09:23 PM
First airplane experience in two months and counting!
:</>D

Levian
09-17-2009, 11:14 PM
I usually bring along some lengthy handheld game on plane rides. Harvest Moon: Friend of Mineral Town was my pick for when I visited BoB back in August and I didn't even manage to finish Spring season during both of the flights.

Jessweeee♪
09-18-2009, 12:35 AM
I've flown a few times P:

Once I got so scared 'cause we were near a storm so the plane was dipping and stuff and D:

Raistlin
09-18-2009, 01:11 AM
I've been on probably dozens of flights, and outside of some annoying delays at Philly, I've had nothing but relatively good experiences. International flights especially tend to be pretty nice (I guess depending on the airline); on my last international flight (to France), we had decent food and individual mini-TVs in the back of the seat in front of us and a pretty nice show and movie collection.

The take-off and landing is painful for me, because I'm really sensitive to the pressure-change and it really really hurts my ears to the point of bursting into tears.

Start chewing gum right before takeoff. That helps to relieve the pressure. If you already do, then maybe try chewing 2 or 3 pieces to make your jaw work more.

Little Jane
09-18-2009, 05:19 AM
A went to Europe from NY a few times to see my ex boyfriend.

short flights are less annoying for me personally. the long to europe ones are a real bothersome sometimes but also appreciated if it meant getting over there. heh. its real uncomfy. i get scared easily of airplanes. I recommend aisle seats because its less clauiphobia whatever you call that and gives you space to breath...it kinda makes you think you got more space to stretch your legs and all but you really dont...i would never wanna be squashed between two people or against the wall.

sitting in the back of the plane means more movement from the plane. i did that once and got sick. X_X

walking once in awhile helps a lot. :D

i recommend wearing stylish yet comfy clothes...i go in skirts a lot and slip on shoes for those security areas.

I never sleep on those flights...which is not nice. :p music helps a tooon to keep you from dying of boredom and the movies help a lot too. :)

Loony BoB
09-18-2009, 02:19 PM
I've been on short-haul (1-2 hours), medium-length (6-8 hours) and proper-long-haul (over a day including one 14 hour non-stop flight) flights. I don't mind short or medium length flights but the long-haul one is one that you don't want to have to do more than once in a short space of time if you can avoid it. Luckily it was pretty good service and there were bucketloads of channels to choose from. It was Auckland to London via Kuala Lumpur, for anyone interested. Then followed by a train to Edinburgh. Then carrying luggage all over Edinburgh to get banks, bus cards, etc. sorted out. THEN going home. Fun.

Anyway, for clothing I agree to be smart if you're meeting someone. If it's a short haul flight, wear whatever suits what you're doing at your destination. If it's medium haul, wear something comfortable that you'd wear in the streets. If it's a flight that's gonna be a very long one, bring a change of clothes. :p

The Space Pope
09-18-2009, 02:24 PM
The last time I was on a plane it was when I left the Army and they kept playing this 10 minute Jackie Chan interview over and over for the whole ride home and a fat man of miscellaneous origin fell asleep on my shoulder.

The Space Pope was not pleased.