PDA

View Full Version : Bonk returns!

KentaRawr!
09-18-2009, 09:00 PM
Here's the trailer. (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/debut-teaser-bonk-brink/55864)

If you don't know what Bonk is, well, I didn't know what he was until a few years ago, so no worries. :rolleyes2 Bonk is a series of almost Mario-like platformers for the Turbografx-16. This new Bonk is probably being made in response to some of its success on the Wii's Virtual Console. The trailer isn't exactly very promising, though. I think I would've preferred just hearing that it exists instead of seeing this, actually.

Maybe we'll get a new Neutopia, too. :p

Wolf Kanno
09-19-2009, 07:22 AM
Bonk? Back?

Am I the only one checking dates when I read gaming magazines cause half the time I see them talking about gaming franchises and characters I played 15+ years ago? Bionic Commando, Splatterhouse, and now Bonk... :eep:

Rostum
09-19-2009, 10:45 AM
Meh.

Plus that animation was HORRID. My god... There is no way something like that should be allowed to make its way into the industry.

Vermachtnis
09-19-2009, 05:11 PM
I thought this was going to be about The Scout.

Lexy
09-22-2009, 07:29 AM
Wow, that did look horrible, but I would love a GOOD new Bonk game...I grew up on Bonk's Revenge!

Shoeberto
09-22-2009, 04:20 PM
That was a straight-up awful trailer.

Depression Moon
09-23-2009, 02:06 AM
Wow that doesn't even look like a real game, like the fake stuff that my class is doing in animation. I wonder why they decided to bring him back I just heard about this character when gamespot had him in their hero tourney. Was the game announced around then?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-23-2009, 03:55 AM
It reminds me of the sort of token, contractually-obligated FMV you'd see in early PlayStation games like Jumping Flash!.

And I don't think anyone was really hurting to see Bonk return, anyway.

Rostum
09-23-2009, 04:04 AM
It reminds me of the sort of token, contractually-obligated FMV you'd see in early PlayStation games like Jumping Flash!.

Yes, but they pretty much took all the animation and acting principles and threw them out the window and continued to piss on them. It's only okay to break the rules when you've mastered them.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-23-2009, 04:54 PM
Oh, I don't think it's okay.

KentaRawr!
09-23-2009, 05:07 PM
Maybe since the trailer was so bad, we should just talk about the bonk series in general.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-23-2009, 05:38 PM
I don't think Bonk ever really worked outside of Japan. For one thing, they tried to give him attitude in America (just compare the box art (http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/bonk/bonk.htm)). Secondly, his name is "PC Genjin," which means "PC Caveman" but—more importantly—is a pun on the PC Engine, the console for which he was a mascot. Without the pun, the whole concept of this baby-faced caveman just seems arbitrary, if not a bit lame.

KentaRawr!
09-23-2009, 05:57 PM
I played Bonk on the Wii, so I never got to see his attitude. I just figured it was funny that he was named Bonk, and he bonked things. Lulz.

The first game's worlds didn't seem very organized. Going from the grassy place to the desert-like place seemed normal, but then the amount of levels in each world started to seem a bit random.

Some of the levels also came off as boring to play. I'd normally just figure out how to get as high as I could, and then hold the turbo button so I'd glide past the whole level. Maybe it would've been more fun if I played through normally and went for getting as many smileys as possible. But still, I felt happy when I beat the game. The true form of the second to last boss was shocking, though. She was so different. And then there was that big dragon thing which reminds me of Megaman 9's Wily Machine for some reason.

Ramza Beoulve
09-23-2009, 08:40 PM
I played this game when it got to the SNES. I loved it then and love it now, but...

That trailer makes me a mad panda, and my SNES is twisting on his grave right now.

KentaRawr!
09-24-2009, 02:47 AM
It's surprising Super Bonk hasn't been put on the VC. They have Air Zonk on there but not Super Bonk. What an outrage. >:{

musashius
09-24-2009, 02:54 AM
Bonk was the second game I got (after Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu) for my PC Engine (the Japanese version of Turbographix-16). Still one of my favorite games of all time, so this should be pretty sweet.

KentaRawr!
09-24-2009, 03:18 AM
I had heard about the PC-Engine before I ever heard about the Turbografx-16, most likely because all the good games for it came out in Japan.