PDA

View Full Version : Mushroom Hunter

rubah
09-20-2009, 09:14 PM
You can be a bold mushroom hunter,
and you can be an old mushroom hunter,
the only thing is, you can't be a bold old mushroom hunter.

Stu and I were picking flowers for ma mamán, and I noticed something I had seen earlier; a veritable toad. stool. out in the yard. This thing looked like it'd support my weight!

You guys know my tendancies towards experimenting, trying new things, and learning, so I picked it (yes!), and pretended to offer it to my parents with the flowers.

Of course, my parents didn't get to be 51/53 years old by trying any old wild mushroom they saw, so I left it outside and told stu to go wash his hands. I took my laptop outside, loaded up a few field guides and started searching.

Excellent! This thing looked like it might be a delicious macrolepiota procera! But I wanted to be certain, so I continued reading, checking to see if M. procera had any deadly twins. I had learned in my last mushroom research extravaganza that some of these are very hard to tell apart, and m. procera had a few traits that mine didn't seem to share. For one, it didn't have a snakeskin pattern, and the inside of the cap was orange..

Turns out there is a look-alike called chlorophyllum molybdites. And though I was loathe to believe it, it had more in common with mine than the tasty M. Procera. The spores appeared to be green, where m. procera is white, it was located in the middle of grass, while m. procera likes to live on dead things and you know, decompose them.

And I sighed with chagrin, tossed the unfortunate cap and stem into the bushes, and returned to tell you on the internet my tale of mycinology.

if I find any psilocybin, I'll alert you guys.

Rye
09-20-2009, 09:29 PM
=O shroom shroom.

When I was a little girl, my favorite thing to do was to get huge hard cover books from Manhattan museums about biology. I had this giant book almost half my size all about mushrooms, especially the deadly kinds. When I held it sitting down, it dwarfed over me, and I learned all about death caps and mushrooms. I wanted to hunt for mushrooms, but we don't have any in the area except for the tiny mushy kinds that grow if you water the lawn too much. :/

Bunny
09-20-2009, 09:37 PM
One time I did shrooms and surfed on my friend's car.

Rye
09-20-2009, 09:54 PM
My roommate tried shroomz and she said she became a gloop of grey goo and she saw spiders all over her body. D:

Rodarian
09-20-2009, 09:55 PM
Here's a shroom growing in my garden... Don't ya all think thats a cuite pie of a mushroom!! ^_^

Meat Puppet
09-20-2009, 11:49 PM
Hahahaha of course I have been mushroom hunting before many times

Timekeeper
09-22-2009, 08:21 AM
This reminds me of the dancing horse head guy that cooks mushrooms. Not a memory that I wanted to re-kindle, it's so damn disturbing!
Youtube - Dancing man wearing a horse mask cooks wild mushrooms. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffDPTKn7HiY)

Jiro
09-22-2009, 12:39 PM
I don't think I'll eat another mushroom after that video.

Rodarian
09-22-2009, 01:00 PM
They say "Curiosity killed the Cat...." :cat:

I will never eat mushrooms again.....X__X

Unbreakable Will
09-22-2009, 02:32 PM
Dammit Timekeeper.... I never want to experience that again...

rubah
09-22-2009, 03:47 PM
I thought it was well-executed 8) You guys didn't like it because you're still minors.

Unbreakable Will
09-22-2009, 04:10 PM
Im 18 thank you :colbert:
Now im off to go massage my wounded pride...

Quindiana Jones
09-22-2009, 04:11 PM
I found that video erotic.

Shattered Dreamer
09-22-2009, 10:33 PM
I made it 40 seconds into that video & had to turn it off! I forgot just how disturbing the olde interweb could be:cry::tongue:

Timekeeper
09-23-2009, 09:06 AM
Yea, sorry about that guys xD
We discovered that at work one day, it was on a list of the most smurfed up youtube videos.

P.S. You're welcome Quin :monocle: