PDA

View Full Version : Be Your True Mind... (Persona PSP Thread)

Wolf Kanno
09-22-2009, 04:21 AM
So the Persona 1 remake for PSP comes out tomorrow. Who has it pre-ordered and who is going to check it out when they get cash?

NeoCracker
09-23-2009, 12:16 AM
I'm getting this as soon as it comes in. No way am I missing out. :heart:

Jessweeee♪
09-23-2009, 05:48 AM
I'm still saving up for Dissidia ;_;

Wolf Kanno
09-23-2009, 05:54 AM
The holidays are coming up. ;)

EDIT; Started playing. The new accurate localization really helps this game. It clears up a lot of confusion in the early parts of the game and Mark and Nanjo both come across a bit more sympathetic than in the original localization. The redone world map helps this game immensely and its great to have all the abilities and persona's going by their real names as opposed to the made up crap in the PS1 version.

The music is a hit or miss. Its very similar to P3 and P4's style which is great in some parts but to be honest, P1 had a pretty good soundtrack to begin with. Most of the music has been great but I was a little disappointed that they changed the hospital music, cause the original was way better for atmosphere purposes.

The new cutscenes are well done and the VA work is top notch.

NeoCracker
09-23-2009, 07:07 PM
Alright, one of the very first lines of dialogue, 'You sure you ain't got the brain rot'.

...WTF?

Wolf Kanno
09-24-2009, 12:10 AM
Its still better than the original... believe me... its much better...

NeoCracker
09-24-2009, 12:17 AM
Its still better than the original... believe me... its much better...

...wow. And I was just thinking after posting that how much worse the dialogue actually got in this game.

"You're the perviest perve to ever perv."
"Well your the haggiest hag in all of haggedry."

And that essentialy is a representation of this games dialogue. Honestly, I really don't have much posotive to say about this game.

The FMV models look good, but the animation of them feels forced.
The single battles, while not taking too long, feel like the drag on much longer then they should.
The battle system is mediocre.
And worse off is some of the dumbest dialogue I have ever heard.

The voice acting isn't bad though. :p

Vermachtnis
09-24-2009, 12:47 AM
xD The dialog sounds hilariously bad. Anyway how is the battle system? I played some of Innocent Sin when the English patch came out and I just didn't feel it. Is it any better than that?

NeoCracker
09-24-2009, 12:58 AM
It's hilariously bad at first.

But right off some dudes butler dies, and the scene expect you to be sad, even though the guy was kind of unlikeable, and you don't know the butler, and he delivers the line "Become the number one man in Japan, and carry the country on your shoulders".

Just run the line "Become the number one man in Japan' through your head, and please tell me what the hell that line means.

And I couldn't dig the combat. It felt slow, and even after that it was mediocre.

Wolf Kanno
09-24-2009, 03:03 AM
They're high school students. High school kids don't speak eloquently, they act like four years old until you start treating them as such and then they act like whiny 2 year olds cause you don't give them respect. This dialogue is just accurate :colbert:

Combat is okay, it mostly shines from the negotiation system. It does have its strategy since your weapons affect your character range but it gets a bit less annoying once you get access to firearms. Not to mention SP regenerates as you walk through battle so you never really have to worry about using SP restoring items unless you are a pansy and don't level. :p It grew on me when I was playing the PS1 version. Mostly, I'm happy to have the negotiation system back as it was my favorite part of Nocturne and P1 and 2

Persona was originally a really weird game, it doesn't take itself as serious as P3 and P4. It has its moments of high drama but like the old school FFs, its buried under some really comical absurdity like the battle with RoboRat and the little girl who attacks you with her monster Teddy Bear. Once the main plot starts to go on it feels like Silent Hill with the Umbrella Corporation thrown in to amp the evil.

The Snow Queen quest is much darker but I find it less satisfying since it literally derails the main plot and basically magically resolves the conflict of the game without addressing anything that actually caused the problem to begin with...

Also, the girl who calls the guy a perv, is a major fan-service. Tami is the official name of the girl MC from a previous MegaTen game Shin Megami Tensei If... Which is the game that originally inspired the creation of the Persona series and P1 takes a lot of its story cues from.

I will say that Persona 1 does have one of the most unlikable casts of characters... well ever. But if you plan to play through P2 you should stick with Nanjo, Elly, and Yuko as they all return as playable characters in P2 in fact P1 does play a pretty large role in P2:EP.

Vermachtnis
09-28-2009, 07:13 PM
So I decided to pick it up after hearing the boss music. Also I like that short haired girl on the cover. Also could they have made the box any harder to open?

NeoCracker
09-28-2009, 10:31 PM
They're high school students. High school kids don't speak eloquently, they act like four years old until you start treating them as such and then they act like whiny 2 year olds cause you don't give them respect. This dialogue is just accurate :colbert:

You know, this is quite possibly the crappiest defense I have ever heard for a games dialogue, especially when the butler, who is an older man, is just as bad as the rest of them.

So were the teachers.

And regardless, perhaps this is why they should stop making accurate portrayals of high school students?

Give me P3 and 4's semi-accurate representations any day. ;)

Or hell, give me the voiceless cast of FF1 anyday for that matter.

Or perhaps a party consisting of Relm, Cait Sith, and Eiko.

Or a yeast infection.

Vermachtnis
09-28-2009, 10:45 PM

I'd form a party with Relm and Eiko.

Wolf Kanno
09-29-2009, 01:34 AM

You know, this is quite possibly the crappiest defense I have ever heard for a games dialogue, especially when the butler, who is an older man, is just as bad as the rest of them.

So were the teachers.

And regardless, perhaps this is why they should stop making accurate portrayals of high school students?

Or a yeast infection.

You fail at recognizing the cheesy epicness of Persona 1 :p

Just for that, you don't deserve to play Persona 2 cause I'm sure you would think its cheesy too. You go play your dating sim/anime horror knockoffs and let the adults enjoy their cheese :colbert:

P.S. You also fail for not recognizing how awesome Relm is. You're not allowed to play FFVI or IX anymore either. I'll make you a curse that makes any game you play turn into either FFVIII or Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter. :mad2:

P.S.S. I WUV CHU!!!

Elly
09-29-2009, 12:59 PM
my coppy came in the mail yesterday, so far i only played 3 hours into it, finishing the hospital part where Eriko joins the party, and i love it... the dialogue isn't that bad so far the cheesy dialogue in the opening sounds like a couple of students ragging on each other, and the buttler using the "#1 man in Japan" line seems like it could be a literal translation telling Brown to be the best in japan literaly one of the people that runs the country... i also love the combat system, can't wait to get some guns though, my real question is what is Masao doing walking around campus with an axe for and how does he get away with it, he has that axe right from the start...

Wolf Kanno
09-29-2009, 05:41 PM
I don't know why he has one nor do I understand how they become regularly available later on...

Vermachtnis
09-29-2009, 06:26 PM
Gozu-Tennoh is kind of mean for something we get so early.

NeoCracker
10-04-2009, 01:08 AM

So were the teachers.

Or a yeast infection.

You fail at recognizing the cheesy epicness of Persona 1 :p

Just for that, you don't deserve to play Persona 2 cause I'm sure you would think its cheesy too. You go play your dating sim/anime horror knockoffs and let the adults enjoy their cheese :colbert:

P.S. You also fail for not recognizing how awesome Relm is. You're not allowed to play FFVI or IX anymore either. I'll make you a curse that makes any game you play turn into either FFVIII or Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter. :mad2:

P.S.S. I WUV CHU!!!
Relm isn't that bad, but could you imagine running an entire game with her dialogue? *SHudders*

And how can my bgame turn into something that doesn't exist? :confused:

I hope you get hit with a truck full of cancer. :love: