PDA

View Full Version : I have a question about Playstation 3.

KentaRawr!
09-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Which models of a PS3 have backwards compatibility? Is it only the 80GB model, or do other models have it, too? I just want to know before it becomes impossible to find a model with backwards compatibility.

Shoeberto
09-23-2009, 03:34 PM
The only 80gb that has BC is the old MGS4 bundle, as well as some Motorstorm or something bundle that came out before it. That was only software BC, too, which was glitchier than on the 20 and 60gb models. There's no actual current model being sold that has any sort of PS2 bc. You're pretty much stuck either buying something on eBay for jacked up prices or just getting a Slim and holding on to your PS2 (which is my personal recommendation).

They all have PS1 BC, though, fwiw.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-23-2009, 04:47 PM
I just want to know before it becomes impossible to find a model with backwards compatibility.

Wikipedia has a handy guide (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3#Model_comparison). As you can see, though, all models with PS2 backwards compatibility are no longer in production.

Bolivar
09-23-2009, 06:45 PM
You got a couple of options - the older 80GB's, a 60GB, and a 20 GB.

Your best bet is to get a refurbished model, and Gamestop actually has some amazing deals for what you're looking for (imagine that)

Gamestop PS3's (http://www.gamestop.com/Browse/Search.aspx?N=141+196)

The 80 GB with 4 USB ports and Backwards compatibility is $280, that's actually a pretty good deal, but the PS2 emulation is done through software, so it's not as reliable as it is on:

The 60GB model, which has 3 different card readers, 4 USB ports, and full hardware Backwards Compatibility for $330. This is the best PS3 model Sony has made thus far. It's $30 more than a Slim, but I'd imagine you'd be willing to pay $30 for Backwards Compatibility. Also, it's hardware, so it'll be like your games are actually running on a ps2, of course you have extra options like smoothing.

Another $279 deal is the 20GB, obviously it's somewhat of a problem since I believe it doesn't have WiFi, and since a lot of games have installs you'd be running out of space fast. The good news is it's super, super easy to replace hard drives on a ps3, you can buy a lap top hard drive off a site like Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! (http://newegg.com) and it's super cheap for quite a large amount of storage.

Also, if you're using an HDTV, I would recommend getting a really cheap HDMI cable off newegg as well, just thought I'd put that out there.

Iceglow
09-26-2009, 12:53 PM
I've been looking at this too and a lot of old PS1 games are currently becomming available on the PSN I believe it'll be a matter of time before Sony release a service patch update what will update the drivers of the console/bios and allow it to play downloaded ps2 games. If I was Sony I'd do it to try and compete with the xbox arcade system. I doubt they'll be able to give you backwards disc compatability though which sucks. Probably involve a patch in the game files too to make them readable by the ps3 console. The question is with the life expectancy of the PS3 not even being considered as to when it will be replaced we have to ask how long will it take before Sony do something like this?

Bolivar
09-28-2009, 02:24 AM
I've been looking at this too and a lot of old PS1 games are currently becomming available on the PSN I believe it'll be a matter of time before Sony release a service patch update what will update the drivers of the console/bios and allow it to play downloaded ps2 games. If I was Sony I'd do it to try and compete with the xbox arcade system. I doubt they'll be able to give you backwards disc compatability though which sucks. Probably involve a patch in the game files too to make them readable by the ps3 console. The question is with the life expectancy of the PS3 not even being considered as to when it will be replaced we have to ask how long will it take before Sony do something like this?

There were a lot of articles released a while back that Sony already has the patent to do it w/ the cell processors or something, so it's just a firmware update away. Honestly, it all comes down to their plan to keep the PS2 with some shelf life. I'm thinking next year, once it's officially been 10 years.