PDA

View Full Version : I hate the word close.

Quindiana Jones
09-27-2009, 01:28 AM
Close. It just looks wrong. Like there's something missing. Closed is fine. Closed has an end. Close just looks...it just looks like somebody's spelled it wrong.

Tell me about words you dislike and why.

leader of mortals
09-27-2009, 01:43 AM
Tomorrow...

Lets see, two ms... no wait, 1 m, 1 r... no wait double both of them... no wait, fuck

BardTard
09-27-2009, 01:45 AM
I hate the words bodice and preamble. I don't know why, they just sound weird to me.

rubah
09-27-2009, 01:45 AM
Would you say... that the word "close" feel very close?

I don't like throat or sew

Quindiana Jones
09-27-2009, 01:48 AM
NO! It feels very :bou::bou::bou::bou:! :mad2:

Fonzie
09-27-2009, 02:00 AM
I hate the word moist!

Quindiana Jones
09-27-2009, 02:03 AM
So many people do! I love it. Mmmoist. It's so nice to say, but horrible to hear.

Freya
09-27-2009, 02:09 AM
bereft. It sounds like bear ref t. I just don't like it very much!

Also alcohol. I like alcohol but I hate how the word looks.

EDIT: also, Totally. Toe-tallie

Vermachtnis
09-27-2009, 03:21 AM
Rogue and rouge. Those words mock me.

Agent Proto
09-27-2009, 04:32 AM
I suppose the word "colonel" is the word I would hate the most, only because it doesn't sound like how it is spelled. You pronounce it as "kernel" but there is no goddamn R in the word itself. What the hell?

Bunny
09-27-2009, 04:50 AM
Lieutenant.

Fuck you, dude.

Jojee
09-27-2009, 06:36 AM
Lisence. License? Yes. That one.

I'm usually pretty good at spelling. That word has confounded me since I could remember. xD

Meat Puppet
09-27-2009, 07:09 AM
Something really irks me about the word “pussy.” I can’t quite put my fingure on it.

Laddy
09-27-2009, 07:46 AM
Something really irks me about the word “pussy.” I can’t quite put my fingure on it.
Because no girl would let you!

Timekeeper
09-27-2009, 08:38 AM
Lisence. License? Yes. That one.

I'm usually pretty good at spelling. That word has confounded me since I could remember. xD

That's because Americans spell it wrong :monster:

I personally dislike the words aswell, alot and atleast. Mainly for not being words :mad2:

Meat Puppet
09-27-2009, 08:47 AM
then you cannot hate them as words

Ouch!
09-27-2009, 09:01 AM
Did has always bothered me. It's one of those words that reminds me that one of the qualities of our most advanced complicated forms of spoken language is arbitrariness. It also is one of those words which makes me go, "Really, who the fuck comes up with this stuff?"

scrumpleberry
09-27-2009, 09:35 AM
Did has always bothered me. It's one of those words that reminds me that one of the qualities of our most advanced complicated forms of spoken language is arbitrariness. It also is one of those words which makes me go, "Really, who the smurf comes up with this stuff?"

if you think about any single word in the english language it feels like that after a while.

I hate the word ZESSSSST at the minute.

Formalhaut
09-27-2009, 09:50 AM
I know this is'nt a "proper" word, but innit REALLY annoys me!

Rodarian
09-27-2009, 10:38 AM
I suppose the word "colonel" is the word I would hate the most, only because it doesn't sound like how it is spelled. You pronounce it as "kernel" but there is no goddamn R in the word itself. What the hell?

I know how you feel! It drives me batty every time I hear and when I read up on it, I wouldn't recognize the rank designation because of its spelling!! :mad2:

I also dislike the word 'ire' It feels out of place!

Timekeeper
09-27-2009, 10:43 AM
then you cannot hate them as words

Damn you!
Well, I guess I'm in a similar situation as Balthier then.

Shauna
09-27-2009, 11:30 AM
If I stare, and repeat words long enough, I come to hate them. Any word. I start questioning whether what I'm saying actually is a real word, or just something I made up. That annoys me. :(

Rye
09-27-2009, 01:47 PM
Dingleberry makes my skin crawl.

Quindiana Jones
09-27-2009, 02:26 PM
My dingleberry can make your skin crawl, Rye. :jokey:

...wait, what?

Like Bunny, I also hate lieutenant. Left-tenant. Argh!

Breine
09-27-2009, 06:49 PM

That made me laugh, since "dingle" means "dangle" in Danish.. if you catch my drift xD

Ashtray sometimes sounds like asstray. Or at least to my travel partner who, while we were traveling, couldn't stop lauging everytime I'd ask for one at various restaurants and such. "Excuse me, do you have an asstray?"
This made me self-aware and precautious whenever I had to say the word, which was kinda annoying. We did have some laughs because of it, though xD

Like Bunny, I also hate lieutenant. Left-tenant. Argh!

Loo-tenant.

Quindiana Jones
09-27-2009, 07:17 PM
Only if you say it wrong.

Raistlin
09-27-2009, 08:11 PM
Yes, it is an annoying word if you say it wrong, such as if you randomly place an "f" in there.

BardTard
09-27-2009, 08:12 PM
I also hate the word "virtually" because so many people I know overuse it, and I don't think they're even using it correctly. Like they just randomly insert the word into any sentence. It's REALLY annoying!

KentaRawr!
09-27-2009, 08:33 PM
It's virtually impossible to close threads when Lieutenants and Colonels post in them. They're just so zessssssssssty, mods don't care to do it. They did, once, but then someone randomly said dingleberry, and there was mass panic. Innit there was an ash tray! It lacked the proper licensing, though... What a pussy.

Parker
09-27-2009, 09:21 PM
No matter how you say the word "penchant" you sound like a d-bag.

rubah
09-27-2009, 09:29 PM

That made me laugh, since "dingle" means "dangle" in Danish.. if you catch my drift xD

The dangle is implied when you think of what dingleberries are.
May not be the same dangling that you're talking about, but it's very close.

Medi
09-27-2009, 09:38 PM
Rural.

So awkward to say. Rerrrrral. Rooroll?

Quindiana Jones
09-27-2009, 11:48 PM
Yes, it is an annoying word if you say it wrong, such as if you randomly place an "f" in there.

It was my language before yours.

On a serious note, I've never understood why we say left-tenant.

Breine
09-27-2009, 11:57 PM

The dangle is implied when you think of what dingleberries are.
May not be the same dangling that you're talking about, but it's very close.

*googles dingleberry*

..Ahhh, I see.

Bowser
09-28-2009, 06:32 AM
Corn

:crying2:

Jiro
09-28-2009, 10:22 AM
Quin, we share the same dislike of the word close! It just looks unfinished, and I hate how close (close the door) and close (that was close) are the same word but are both entirely different but suck as equally!

There are a bunch of words I don't like, but I gave up on remembering them. I just go with hating the whole English language nowadays :)

Rodarian
09-28-2009, 12:46 PM
Oh I hate the word Breine...

is 'Brian' with a silent e or is Breen or maybe Brinn

Oooo it makes me so mad!!:mad2: *huff*

Quindiana Jones
09-28-2009, 01:57 PM
I was clearly right with "BROOOOOOONGH!"

Timekeeper
09-28-2009, 02:35 PM
Rural.

It's a lovely word for Scottish people to say though, you get the double rolling of the r and the crazy u sound.

Jiro
09-28-2009, 02:38 PM

Brain.

Quindiana Jones
09-28-2009, 02:44 PM
Rural.

It's a lovely word for Scottish people to say though, you get the double rolling of the r and the crazy u sound.

Scottish people can't say "purple burglar alarm". It's hilarious watching them try.

HINT HINT SHAUNA. HINT HINT. :D

Shauna
09-28-2009, 05:16 PM
Psssh. I can so say purple burglar alarm. I can say it with my hands tied behind my back, that's how much I can say it. :mad2:

Quindiana Jones
09-28-2009, 05:23 PM
PROOF.

Rodarian
09-28-2009, 07:47 PM

Brain.

Even worse!!!:mad2::mad2:

Levian
09-28-2009, 09:41 PM
Douche, with or without the "bag" element.

Bunny
09-28-2009, 10:34 PM
Douche, with or without the "bag" element.

Doucehnozzle is the most hilarious name I have ever been called.

Dolentrean
09-29-2009, 05:29 AM
Moist... its just a strange word.

Timekeeper
09-29-2009, 06:29 AM
Psssh. I can so say purple burglar alarm. I can say it with my hands tied behind my back, that's how much I can say it. :mad2:

PROOF.

We demand it.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-29-2009, 06:45 AM
Tomorrow...

Lets see, two ms... no wait, 1 m, 1 r... no wait double both of them... no wait, smurf

Today: To-day.
Tomorrow: To-<a href="http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/morrow">morrow</a>.

Breine
09-29-2009, 09:01 AM

Brain.

Yes :aimkiss:

it's pinky, it's pinky and the breine

aquatius
09-29-2009, 07:00 PM
Slalem. I know the sl- sound in English is often associated with negative concepts (slither, slime, slow etc.) so that might be partly why.

Rodarian
09-29-2009, 07:37 PM

Brain.

Yes :aimkiss:

it's pinky, it's pinky and the breine

Oh now your avatar makes sense!! XD XD

Shauna
09-30-2009, 07:12 PM

PROOF.

We demand it.

:aimkiss: This is for you guys.

rubah
09-30-2009, 08:02 PM
I started on a journey about a year ago to a little town called Morrow in the State of Ohio.
I've never been much of a traveler, and I really didn't know that Morrow was the hardest place I'd ever try to go.

So I went down to the station for my ticket and applied for tips regarding Morrow not expecting to beguiled.
Said I, "My friend, I'd like to go to Morrow and return no later than tomorrow for I haven't time to burn."

Said he to me, "Now let me see if I have heard you right. You'd like to go to Morrow and return tomorrow night.
You should have gone to Morrow yesterday and back today for the train that goes to Morrow is a mile upon its way.

If you had gone to Morrow yesterday now don't you see, you could have gone to Morrow and returned today at three
For the train today to Morrow, if the schedule is right, today it goes to Morrow and returns tomorrow night."

Said I, "My friend, it seems to me you're talking through your hat. There is a town named Morrow on the line now tell me that."
"There is," said he, "but take me a quiet little tip. To go from here to Morrow is a fourteen hour trip.

The train today to Morrow leaves today at eight thirty-five. At half-past ten to Morrow is the time it should arrive.
So if from here to Morrow is a fourteen hour jump, can you go today to Morrow and get back today, you chump?"

Said I, "I'd like to go to Morrow so can I go today and get to Morrow by tonight if there is no delay?"
"Well, well," said he to me, "and I've got no more to say. Can't get anywhere tomorrow and get back again today."

Said I, "I guess you know it all but kindly let me say, how can I get to Morrow if I leave this town today?"
Said he, "You cannot go to Morrow any more today 'cause the train that goes to Morrow is a mile upon its way."

I was so disappointed. I was mad enough to swear. The train had gone to Morrow and had left me standing there.
That man was right in telling me that I was a-howling jay. I could not go to Morrow so I guess in town I'll stay.

Quindiana Jones
09-30-2009, 11:36 PM
It doesn't count if you say it abnormally slowly, you cheater! That just proves me right!

Timekeeper
10-01-2009, 02:58 PM
A Scottish accent with no R rolling or anything!?
My world is crashing down, everything I believed in is wrong :cry:

Shauna
10-01-2009, 08:27 PM
I am just good at not rolling my Rs at every word. It makes talking awkward, if you do such things. :D

Markus. D
10-03-2009, 12:08 AM
Lieutenant.

smurf you, dude.

It's so much fun to say though!

Lef-tennant.

Zeromus_X
10-03-2009, 03:30 AM
Continuum.

Timekeeper
10-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Vacuum!

Vermachtnis
10-03-2009, 03:58 PM
Vacuum!

Donnie Says Vacuum. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMpTqa8iICs)