PDA

View Full Version : Watch Your Language! >:(

Laddy
09-27-2009, 06:16 AM
What languages can you speak? What is your native tongue? WHat languages do you desire to learn?

I am considered a language prodigy, I ahve an astounding ability to learn and use words with amazing ease.

I speak English, my native tongue, very well, and I speak French pretty well for learning for only one year.

I want to learn Spanish, Arabic, Japanese, German, and Swahili at some point, however.

Jojee
09-27-2009, 06:31 AM
I speak English, conversational Chinese, a tiny bit of Spanish, and I want to learn everything. :3

Times like this I wish I were a Twilight vampire who didn't have to sleep and could attend college over and over again, because I always think of more exciting things that I would have liked to do, majors I want to pursue, and classes I would have taken!

But it's not too late to learn now, just have less time and resources readily available. ^_^ I would like to brush up on my Spanish, and sign language to start with. Also brushing up on my Chinese so that I'm very proficient in it.

Meat Puppet
09-27-2009, 07:04 AM
I can speak English and count to three in Spanish.

Freya
09-27-2009, 07:07 AM
I speak English of course. I use to be able to converse kinda in German but that all went out the window when I left highschool. I need to refresh and brush up on it :/

I want to learn maybe Italian and one of the Nordic languages, also one of the Asian languages too. If I ever can that is.

Momiji
09-27-2009, 08:15 AM
English, basic Spanish, some Japanese.

Ouch!
09-27-2009, 09:03 AM
I speak English fluently. I used to be fairly proficient in German, but I'm afraid I'm out of practice. I can understand a fair chunk of Spanish, I suppose. I have a decent grasp on the grammatical mechanics of Old English, but to really read and translate anything, I require a fairly heavy gloss as my vocabulary itself is rather lacking.

scrumpleberry
09-27-2009, 09:38 AM
English is the only thing i'm fluent in. I have a basic understanding of a few more languages.

Rantz
09-27-2009, 10:16 AM
I speak Swedish (native tongue) and I'm fairly fluent in English and Elvish.

Rodarian
09-27-2009, 10:29 AM
English, Urdu (note its supposedly my native language but I'm horrid when I speak it!)
and Japanese

theundeadhero
09-27-2009, 10:35 AM
I speak just enough Russian to say, Hello. You're beatuiful. What's your name? How are you?
It's all I ever needed to learn :p

I know just enough German to order food at McDonalds. Okay, more than that after living there for years.

Shauna
09-27-2009, 11:34 AM
English, obviously. But I can speak some Spanish, French and German. Spanish is my next "strongest" language, I suppose you could say. I'm not fluent in any way, but I'm able to understand it fairly well.

Breine
09-27-2009, 12:36 PM
I speak Danish (native tongue) and English fluently, and I speak German pretty fluently. Other than that I know basic Spanish. I also know some words and phrases in a whole lot of other languages, but it doesn't really count.

I'd love to learn how to speak French, but on the whole I want to know everything really.

Vermachtnis
09-27-2009, 03:58 PM
English is my native language and I can speak it alright I guess. I can speak Spanish alright too. And I know a little German.

Bunny
09-27-2009, 04:19 PM
I'm not entirely sure knowing two languages could be considered the mark of a prodigy. The ease in which you learned French is great and all but it really isn't a difficult language to pick up on. Granted, I'm not the best at languages but when I think "prodigy" I think of something a bit more.

I speak English, mainly, because that is all I really need to get by in the world. I can converse in Spanish, German, and French while understanding basic Japanese and Russian phrases. I also know a bit of Hawaiian dialect beyond the standard tourist lingo.

Yar
09-27-2009, 05:31 PM
I'm not entirely sure knowing two languages could be considered the mark of a prodigy. The ease in which you learned French is great and all but it really isn't a difficult language to pick up on. Granted, I'm not the best at languages but when I think "prodigy" I think of something a bit more.There are more bilingual people in the world than there are monolingual people so BUNNY IS RIGHT (omg)

Anyway, I'm starting to forgot all the Spanish I studied in high-school, and I could probably still "survive" in German if given the chance. I'm studying Japanese as my major in college right now.

Laddy
09-27-2009, 05:43 PM
I'm not entirely sure knowing two languages could be considered the mark of a prodigy. The ease in which you learned French is great and all but it really isn't a difficult language to pick up on. Granted, I'm not the best at languages but when I think "prodigy" I think of something a bit more.

I speak English, mainly, because that is all I really need to get by in the world. I can converse in Spanish, German, and French while understanding basic Japanese and Russian phrases. I also know a bit of Hawaiian dialect beyond the standard tourist lingo.
I'm not saying it's the result on being a prodigy, it's all I've applied myself too and as a result all I learned. If I wanted to learn more, I would, but I only have access to learning French now and right now it's all I care to learn.

The Summoner of Leviathan
09-27-2009, 06:17 PM
English is my mother tongue. My parents are anglophones.

Le français est ma deuxième langue. Depuis j'étais dans l'école primaire, j'appris comment parler en français. La côté de ma grandmama paternelle est québécois/acadien. Officiellement, je suis bilingue.

I rarely in French, so my grammar is a bit off. I have really good comprehension though.

日本語は第三の言語を勉強した。でも、ちょっと下手と思う。

I hope that sentence made sense. I need to practice my Japanese more and speak more French.

BardTard
09-27-2009, 08:16 PM
My native tongue is English, which is the only language I can speak fluently. I can speak some Japanese and a little bit of Spanish, and I can say hello in quite a few languages.

I'd like to learn every language, but there's not enough time in my life for that. If I had to pick only a few, I would like to learn Japanese (which I already know some), Korean because I think it's a very pretty language, maybe Mandarin or Cantonese.

Also Latin would be cool! :D

Raistlin
09-27-2009, 08:16 PM
English and conversational Spanish. I kinda wish I was more fluent in Spanish, but oh well.

scrumpleberry
09-27-2009, 09:05 PM

I'm not saying it's the result on being a prodigy, it's all I've applied myself too and as a result all I learned. If I wanted to learn more, I would, but I only have access to learning French now and right now it's all I care to learn.

so how do you know that you're a prodigy then ;|

rubah
09-27-2009, 09:18 PM
C'est pas difficile d'apprendre le français. Si on étude le vocabulaire un peu, les examens sont très simples. Parler français, d'autre part...

I'm thinking about taking another french class in college if I find time for it. Could be fun!

Medi
09-27-2009, 09:42 PM
Fluent in English and Spanish. Currently learning Italian.

After that, I want to go for Japanese, German, and Arabic. I'd study French, but I'd never be able to pronounce it. -_^

Shlup
09-27-2009, 09:51 PM
I speak English, Spanglish, and a moderate amount of American Sign Language, which I'd like to get better at. Being fluent is Spanish would be convenient, seeing as it's about as common as English where I live, but I'm too lazy to learn it and can't roll an 'r' to save my life anyway.

Aerith's Knight
09-27-2009, 10:01 PM
Dutch, English, German and a little french. I'm doing a three year course in Japanese too.

I'm pretty much avarage for a dutch guy. I know people who speak 6 languages.

Heath
09-27-2009, 11:09 PM
English, conversational German and enough Welsh to confuse tourists.

Madonna
09-27-2009, 11:32 PM
I keep a tenuous grasp on the English language and very little else! I think it a shame so few Americans are bilingual; both my parents speak two languages and the one I know I learned at a school!

Laddy
09-27-2009, 11:44 PM

so how do you know that you're a prodigy then ;|
I was literate at age two, and crafted my first poem at age four. I presented a written six paragraph speech at seven to my class, much to the chargin of myself. I'm better at learning and using words than the actual tense and conjugation aspect(s).

For example, I could write a killer speech in English off the top of my head and and learn French words practically instantly, but how to use those words correctly in the sentence is nothing special.

krissy
09-28-2009, 12:35 AM
I'm better at learning and using words than the actual tense and conjugation aspect(s) (of what).

For example, I could write a killer speech in English off the top of my head and and learn French words practically instantly, but how to use using those words correctly in the a sentence is nothing special.

this is totally nit-picky but i just couldn't resist
hugs

Madame Adequate
09-28-2009, 12:43 AM
I'm exemplary with English and can get by in Estonian. Otherwise all I know how to do is shout loudly in some sort of pig-German.

DAS IST NEIN UNT CHEESBURGEREN, DAS IST UNT REGULARENBURGEREN!

Bunny
09-28-2009, 12:56 AM

I would like nine cheeseburgers. And a side of regular burgers.

Shiny
09-28-2009, 01:40 AM
I am considered a language prodigy, I ahve an astounding ability to learn and use words with amazing ease.

Does anyone else see the humor in that statement?

Anywayz, English, Engrish, Spanish, and Ebonics are languages I speak. Klingon is my native tongue.

Jiro
09-28-2009, 05:58 AM
I speak English, conversational Chinese, a tiny bit of Spanish, and I want to learn everything. :3

I thought that said controversial Chinese when I first read it xD

English, for starters. Though I'm surprised I can speak that half the time. I'm only barely able to include Japanese in these lists, I need to brush up immensely on that. But yes, only two for me. I used to study both Italian and Spanish at school but I didn't really enjoy them at that point. We didn't learn much really.

I want to be fluent in English and Japanese one day, as well as maybe two other interesting languages. I love languages but don't have the opportunity to use them yet. One day maybe!!! :)

Kawaii Ryûkishi
09-28-2009, 06:06 AM
I'm exemplary with English and can get by in Estonian. Otherwise all I know how to do is shout loudly in some sort of pig-German.

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blinkenlights">Blinkenlights</a>.

Aerith's Knight
09-28-2009, 07:21 AM
DAS IST NEIN NICHT UNT EINEN CHEESKASEBURGEREN, DAS IST UNT EINEN REGULAREN NORMALE BURGER!

Meat Puppet
09-28-2009, 07:23 AM
bull’s eye!
except not really.

Mirage
09-28-2009, 11:46 AM
Norwegian and English.

Laddy
09-28-2009, 12:29 PM

Does anyone else see the humor in that statement?

Anywayz, English, Engrish, Spanish, and Ebonics are languages I speak. Klingon is my native tongue.Aw, damn.

I also forget to proofread.

A lot.

Vice Nebulosa
09-29-2009, 03:20 AM
They say (I swear, University of Saskatchewan, if you ask me to cite my source here, your faculty will be throttled alphabetically :eep:) that one's ability to absorb and retain various languages is at its peak in late childhood. Having recently hit what our culture defines as adulthood, I am polluted with the conventions of English far too thoroughly to reap such benefits. I can imagine it . . . my current self struggling bitterly to grasp Latin syntax, while my inner child abusively rags on me from within. :screwy:

Just the one language, but I have endeavored to know it well. Consider it a form of compensation, if you wish. <_< But you would probably be wrong. I like the language well enough; what can I say?

The Space Pope
10-08-2009, 12:20 PM
I speak English, French, German, Ebonics, Ancient Norsk, Neptunian, Klingon, Zalzagok, Moonspeak, Morse Code and Braille.