PDA

View Full Version : Names

Jessweeee♪
09-28-2009, 09:01 AM
I'm bad with names. I never remember them when people introduce themselves. I don't want to seem like I didn't care, so I'm afraid to ask them for their names again. Since I've moved to a new place I've been meeting so many people and I only remember a handful of names :(

ITT: We discuss our problems with names :(

Jiro
09-28-2009, 10:26 AM
There's some tricks to remembering people's names when you first meet them. I forget a lot of them but I'll try and help you (because I have the same problem).

Step One - LISTEN :D
Step Two - Make a... rhyme I guess we'll call it, with the person's name. So like, Jess chess or Jess mess etc.
Step Three - Say their name a lot during your first meeting. Just not too much. :)

Yeah I wasn't listening when they taught me this at some little seminar. I usually remember the last person I meet, the rest become jumbled. I should focus on each person individually xD

Jessweeee♪
09-28-2009, 10:30 AM
Hmm...if I can remember that the next time I get a name it would probably help a lot!

Jiro
09-28-2009, 10:44 AM
I don't remember it either so I just wing it by never using their name, just call them buddy or mate or sweetheart or something :monster:

Blue Harvest
09-28-2009, 12:13 PM
I used to be terrible at remembering names but nowadays I'm pretty good at it.

Rodarian
09-28-2009, 12:57 PM
I can recall several times that I've spoken with someone so intensely, yet I fail to ask them their names!! XD XD

Ah well..

Also I hate asking names on the phone...Actually I hate talking on the phone...I like to be brief and to the point.. :P

Timekeeper
09-28-2009, 02:07 PM
Sometimes I remember names, sometimes I don't, but following what Jiro said...
Basic Instructions - How to Remember Names (http://www.basicinstructions.net/?p=408)

Same idea, and it's humorous!

rubah
09-28-2009, 02:52 PM
my problem is I associate their name with their clothes. So unless they're unique looking somehow, I don't remember their faces when they come back the next day with different clothes ._.

Quindiana Jones
09-28-2009, 03:00 PM
Sarah, Emma, Emma, Kate, Amy, Basa, Yev, Esther, Ross, Emma, Alex, Leo, and the other girl.

Those are the people I met at midday today. Emma number 2 was quite hot, as was Sarah and Kate. I have a good Classics class. :)

Raistlin
09-28-2009, 03:28 PM
I am the exact same as Jesswee. I can't remember new people's names to save my life. It takes at least a couple reintroductions (or at least hearing someone else say their name) before it sticks. This process can take weeks.

Jojee
09-28-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm bad with names on a normal basis. When I try, I'm decent at them - I only try at interviews though, and I'm pretty much repeating the person's name in my head the whole time because it'd be embarrassing if I called them by the wrong name and they'd never hire me. :p

Bunny
09-28-2009, 04:30 PM
I'm decent at remembering names if I see myself ever talking to the person again. Most of the time I have no interest in the individual and will completely forget everything about them after the meeting. Some people make good impressions though.

Kirobaito
09-28-2009, 04:49 PM
If I'm actually paying attention when someone introduces themselves, I don't forget it.

VexNet
09-28-2009, 05:17 PM
my girlfriend calls me by her brother and friend's name all the time @_@;;
she says it's a genetic thing since her dad calls her by her mom's name a lot.

but I'm fine with names. =]

Freya
09-28-2009, 05:21 PM
I'm horrible at names. Hell in highschool a girl I talked to for an entire semester I couldn't figure her name out so I just called her honey.

I just can't focus on names! I'm usually introduced to a bunch of people at a time though so it just all gets jumbled!

Vermachtnis
09-28-2009, 05:24 PM
I'm pretty bad at remembering people's names. So I give them nicknames.

Bunny
09-28-2009, 05:35 PM
my girlfriend calls me by her brother and friend's name all the time @_@;;
she says it's a genetic thing since her dad calls her by her mom's name a lot.

but I'm fine with names. =]

Sounds like some wishful thinking on her dad and her parts. Incest is best~

Breine
09-29-2009, 09:41 AM
I'm good with names, you kinda have to be when you're a teacher.

Rocket Edge
09-29-2009, 12:56 PM
I am freaking terrible, it's embarressing.

Agent Proto
09-29-2009, 05:11 PM
I would say I'm pretty good with remembering names after I am told or finding out some way indirectly. On occasion I may forget when my contact with said person is extremely low or if I'm forced to remember several names at once.

scrumpleberry
09-29-2009, 08:14 PM
I am hideously awful

Rodarian
09-29-2009, 08:24 PM
my problem is I associate their name with their clothes. So unless they're unique looking somehow, I don't remember their faces when they come back the next day with different clothes ._.

Well at least I know you'll remember my name cause my dress habits a pretty unique!

aquatius
09-29-2009, 10:18 PM
Lots of people get really angry at my disability to remember names. Still, I was still quite annoyed when someone who I had started to go out with had to ask for my name again about three times... But I didn't say I was annoyed.

Rye
09-30-2009, 12:57 AM
I'm having to learn many new names here at University, and it's really hard. xD I'm baaad at it.

BardTard
09-30-2009, 03:23 AM
Normally if I'm putting someone's number into my phone and I've forgotten their name, I ask "how do you spell that?" I remember faces before I remember names, so sadly I have to rely on this alot. But the good news is, it's pretty effective.

kikimm
09-30-2009, 03:49 AM
I'm really really good with names, to the point where it kinda creeps people out. Like when they have no idea who I am, but I know their name. *shrug* I just pay attention.

Tavrobel
09-30-2009, 04:08 AM
I'm great with names, but only if I care to know. Otherwise, I rely on other people to say that person's name, then I'll start using it. That and cell phone entries.

Markus. D
10-03-2009, 12:14 AM
It usually takes me about five or so introductions... but I really enjoy calling people by full names n_n!

Mogi
10-03-2009, 01:11 AM
When I first got pulled into the music scene, I couldn't remember names for the life of me, but a few weeks had me straightened out and I'm actually really good at it now.
XD

Aerith's Knight
10-03-2009, 12:32 PM
I forget names even if they introduced themselves. After a while, I even forget faces.

"Hey Dennis, how are you?"
"Heeeeeeey... you. It's been... How have you been?"