PDA

View Full Version : Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days Thread~

The Summoner of Leviathan
09-29-2009, 10:34 PM
So it just came out today! I decided to cave and buy it. It is alright so far!

What are your impressions?

Please use spoilers tags when necessary!

EDIT: At Day 75 :D

sdm42393
10-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Since Xion has the ability to turn 100% into a man, and that there was a heavily implied romantic relationship between her and Roxas, would that make them a gay pairing?

The Summoner of Leviathan
10-03-2009, 08:03 PM
I haven't got that far but I've known a spoiler for a long time, so to answer your question:

It would make them as gay as Sora and Roxas as a pairing. Also, I see a lot of AxelxRoxas being pushed in the game :D

G13
10-07-2009, 07:09 AM
I think that may be wishful thinking on your part Bobby. :D

Shadowdust
10-09-2009, 01:46 AM
The game was fun for a little while. Then I got to the Antilion and I've just about had enough. I play games to relax, not to challenge myself. And what's easy for some, is far from easy for me. I tried three times last night and couldn't beat the prick. And from what I've read, this isn't the worst of it so I think I'll stay away from this game for awhile, or at least start the game in beginner mode, though I doubt that will solve the crappy camera issues. :P

Rostum
10-17-2009, 10:28 PM
I play games to relax, not to challenge myself.

:roll2

Ouch!
10-17-2009, 11:11 PM
It gets far worse than the Antlion. For the record, though, I never found the camera to be particularly bothersome. The different dispatch methods for the various types of heartless become a bit frustrating at first, but once you have enough slots released to carry around multiple types of magic and still have room for your abilities, it becomes a lot easier to manipulate.

At any rate, the last two hours or so of gameplay were pretty effin' awesome, and it really worked into the story a lot more cohesively than I originally thought. It almost makes me believe that they didn't just come up with Xion as an excuse to create another game.

Fynn
11-20-2009, 07:41 AM
It gets far worse than the Antlion. For the record, though, I never found the camera to be particularly bothersome. The different dispatch methods for the various types of heartless become a bit frustrating at first, but once you have enough slots released to carry around multiple types of magic and still have room for your abilities, it becomes a lot easier to manipulate.

At any rate, the last two hours or so of gameplay were pretty effin' awesome, and it really worked into the story a lot more cohesively than I originally thought. It almost makes me believe that they didn't just come up with Xion as an excuse to create another game.

Oh yes, it does. The Infernal Engine is a good example. All my healing panels were out and I was left with just minimum HP. It was a miracle. I later found out you could get rid of the archers. :eep:

Wolf Kanno
11-21-2009, 09:13 PM
Just started playing and I'm having fun. I really like the panel system so far but I will agree that the camera is more of a nuisance. Especially since the same buttons to control the camera in Type B also uses the lock on feature which is sadly far more important in this game than other entries...

The story has been surprisingly good so far though I'm barely into it yet. Just passed the scene where Xion reveals she can use the Keyblade, I think its Day 20 or something...

Fynn
11-23-2009, 08:28 AM
I'm on day 200-something already. This game kinda reminds me of Crisis Core, but it's substantially better. It seems like this was planned from the beginning and not just added so that they can make another game. To put is simply - Xion is a FAR better excuse for a story than Genesis was.

Wolf Kanno
11-25-2009, 10:43 AM
I'll agree about Xion, this game has come off a lot better than I was hoping for and I feel the other Org. XIII members are being fleshed out better than I had anticipated.

Not sure where people are getting this difficulty problem though? My main beef is my horrendously limited movement abilites are not good enough to let me complete Time Attack missions or "collect the emblem" missions. Despite that, I'm having a very difficult time pulling myself away from this game. I only started about a few days ago and I'm already on Day 177.

Multiplayer is pretty fun and I'm pretty happy they unlock all of Org. XIII pretty early so you can play as everyone. For those who haven't gotten the chance to play co-op, it uses a point system to determine ranking and hands out medals based on the point system. Now here's the amusing thing, points are these little gray crystals you collect from enemies or objects, there are also blue ones that give big point bonuses. Where this gets interesting is that although you cannot target your partner, you can actually hurt them and knock crystals out of them effectively stealing their points for yourself. Just don't let your friends use Marluxia, Xemnas, or Saix as those guys have huge attack range and tend to easily deal out friendly fire if you both focus on the same opponent.

Fynn
12-01-2009, 08:49 AM
I just beat the game... I think I'm about to cry... I've been waiting for this kind of game for a long time. It's a masterpiece.

Wolf Kanno
12-01-2009, 11:08 AM
I just finished it half an hour ago myself. It really has a gut wrenching ending, especially when you know what happens in Kingdom Hearts 2.

I mean damn... The ending just leaves you a bit numb.

This might possibly be my favorite entry in the series next to Chain of Memories.

Ouch!
12-01-2009, 09:21 PM
This might possibly be my favorite entry in the series next to Chain of Memories.
I'm not quite sure I'd go that far, but it was a pretty solid entry, and it certainly leads me to the belief that while I expect Birth by Sleep to create a lot of new questions, I expect it to reconcile a lot of the things that aren't making a lot of sense about Kingdom Hearts 2. It gives me quite a bit more faith in Nomura's grand plan than I had before playing the game.

Wolf Kanno
12-03-2009, 02:27 AM
I'll agree I'm a bit more optimistic about Birth By Sleep than I was. I was pretty much ready to call off the KH series completely after KH2.

358/2 does have its fair share of faults but I feel the gameplay was still overall solid and the story was very good with an emotionally charged ending and satisfying conclusion. This game is really how I wanted Crisis Core to be but alas that ship has sailed...

McLovin'
12-09-2009, 12:55 AM
I watched the ending on youtube, why the hell is heartless Ansem in the ending? Didn't he die in KH1? I swear the KH universe makes no sense, after 1 they just added a million plot twists in different games on different consoles making it impossible to keep up.
"You will forget me but our memories will always be there."~Xion. WTF. That makes no sense.

Wolf Kanno
12-09-2009, 06:42 AM
Actually, that Ansem is Riku once he allows himself to be swallowed by the darkness in order to have enough power to beat Roxas, most of this was explained in KH2. Xion's quote requires far too many spoilers to properly explain :sweatdrop:

P4ine
12-09-2009, 05:57 PM
@ McLovin'

About the Xion matter, in the universe of Kingdom Hearts, memories aren't actually what you and me would think of a memory. In Kingdom Hearts it's something more trivial, so to say.

You may imagine each memory as some kind of a picture, which, once in your body, can't ever be removed again.
These pictures are tied together, each very single memory. And furtherly (As I interpret it) these tied memories also tie to your soul.
So there's basically some kind of chain of memories inside one in Kingdom Hearts.

Once a memory isn't actually tied to the chain, the memory's owner won't remember the memory's happenings, but the memory itself won't be gone but only untied.

I think this is what Xion meant; they will forget her (their memories will become untied) but the memories will always be there (as explained above).

McLovin'
12-10-2009, 12:20 AM
KH2 is too annoying to go back and play again to understand all this, like redoing the synthesis sidequest, oh god the synthesis ;_;

finaloblivion
12-14-2009, 08:26 AM
Just finished it tonight...and wow, I was impressed. it was truly gut-wrenching and solid, and once you get attached to all these characters throughout this game, it makes everything that happens with Roxas in KH2 much more tragic. the game had its flaws, but overall it was a good play, with the right amount of challenge and definitely a little step up in the writing and dialogue than the previous installments. me likey. now for birth by sleep....

x~Agita~x
01-03-2010, 03:58 PM
I got the game 3 days a go and so far I'm on day 127 or something like that I think....

I found it hard not to get choked up enough in KH2 when Roxas smashed up the computer in the mansion. I'll need more Kleenex once I finish 358/2 and do KH2 all over again.

arcanedude34
01-08-2010, 04:18 AM
Oh yes, it does. The Infernal Engine is a good example. All my healing panels were out and I was left with just minimum HP. It was a miracle. I later found out you could get rid of the archers. :eep:
That's actually vying for my favorite fight in the series.

And to those complaining about the camera: SWITCH TO MODE B. IT'S BETTER. MUCH. MUCH. BETTER.

LowCaloriePie
01-10-2010, 10:18 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that the entirety of 358/2 Days should've been Roxas's story in Kingdom Hearts 2? I mean, half of Sora's story is filler anyway so it's not as if you couldn't cut anything out? I've played a bit of the game at a friend's house and I don't think it's necessarily bad, however, I think it lacks much of the polish that they're putting into Birth by Sleep. A fun cash-in, but still a cash-in.

Jessweeee♪
01-12-2010, 10:29 AM
Mogi and I both bought each other this game for Christmas! I'm on Day 100-ish, right after vacation time!

Ouch!
01-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that the entirety of 358/2 Days should've been Roxas's story in Kingdom Hearts 2? I mean, half of Sora's story is filler anyway so it's not as if you couldn't cut anything out? I've played a bit of the game at a friend's house and I don't think it's necessarily bad, however, I think it lacks much of the polish that they're putting into Birth by Sleep. A fun cash-in, but still a cash-in.
I've never been especially fond of missions-based RPGs which feature a hub level from which the rest of the game revolves. That said, I think calling Days a cash-in is a bit unfair. It's more of a bridge for the series than anything else. It fills in a lot of details about Roxas's existence, but it also opens up a lot of new questions for Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep, the most surprising of which, I thought, was Xigbar's reaction to Xion in the end when he saw her as Ventus. I definitely think that Days 358/2 gets significantly better as it goes on. A lot of the missions are pretty dull, and it drags on at certain parts, but the gameplay is pretty solid, and there's enough new stuff in the plot that it warrants the title, I think.

Mercen-X
01-13-2010, 04:58 PM
I'm always complaining about the difficulty to begin with. I'm no advanced player. I've beaten KH, CoM (on GBA), and KH2. I can't get past (who was it? Vexen?) in Riku's story. KH2: I couldn't even advance past Demyx on Normal mode (necessary to unlock the "secret" footage) and I couldn't beat Sephiroth in either game on easy. There's no way I'd beat him on Normal or Difficult in order to get the extra shish.

Personally, though I haven't met her yet, I love Xion (spoilers via wiki or some such). It's not completely original but that's just part of what makes it good. Then again, I don't hate Genesis or the Tsviets either. Personally, I think they deserve another go.

BTWFYI, ambiguously gay duos are what Japan are all about. Don't fight it. Don't wish on it. Just let it be and let it go. If you're balls-out enough to drag out on argument for or against then you'll merely be the cause of severe irritation to my anus and I'll be forced to drown you in rhubarb pie. Or whatever else I can find of equal humiliation.

Fynn
01-14-2010, 08:12 PM
I wouldn't say it's about homosexuality. More like relationships between men are different there, because it's a different culture. In our culture, men don't often have friendships as close as women do, which is basically a relationship based on love and intimacy, but without the sexual element. I heard in Japan it's more common for guys (straight ones, I might add) to have such friendships with each other. In definition, friendship is a form of love, you know. And KH is all about friendship, not who's gay and who's not, so what's all the fuss about?

LowCaloriePie
01-15-2010, 02:14 AM
I wouldn't say it's about homosexuality. More like relationships between men are different there, because it's a different culture. In our culture, men don't often have friendships as close as women do, which is basically a relationship based on love and intimacy, but without the sexual element. I heard in Japan it's more common for guys (straight ones, I might add) to have such friendships with each other. In definition, friendship is a form of love, you know. And KH is all about friendship, not who's gay and who's not, so what's all the fuss about?

Thanks for the info, I actually didn't know that. :p
But... just as an FYI, that thread was made as a joke.

Fynn
01-15-2010, 07:19 AM

Thanks for the info, I actually didn't know that. :p
But... just as an FYI, this thread was made as a joke.

You must mean the other thread, the one that you made. :D Anyway, I know. Just thought people ought to know and I hoped this would clarify some stuff.

LowCaloriePie
01-15-2010, 12:08 PM
You must mean the other thread, the one that you made. :D Anyway, I know. Just thought people ought to know and I hoped this would clarify some stuff.

Er.... yes. :D

Del Murder
01-19-2010, 02:17 AM
Just beat it. It was fun and it was cool to see some things from CoM and KH2 explained. The story was interesting although some of the stuff with Xion seemed boring and forced.

The missions got kind of boring but I definitely liked this battle system better than the one in CoM. Hated those cards.

Roogle
01-23-2010, 08:56 PM
Just beat it. It was fun and it was cool to see some things from CoM and KH2 explained. The story was interesting although some of the stuff with Xion seemed boring and forced.

I worry that the length of time between each game might confuse a lot of people. Personally, I haven't played the original Kingdom Hearts since its release, which may have been over five years ago — not sure on the time.

Does this game have a summary at the beginning or a dictionary feature like Jiminy Cricket to help you read about events from the other games?

Rostum
01-24-2010, 06:42 AM
I don't know, but the Internet does. :D

qwertysaur
01-25-2010, 08:01 AM
not directly. All references to events in other games are offhand remarks rather than direct exposition, as the game is through the eyes of Roxas and he has no idea whats going on for most of the game.