PDA

View Full Version : Wii System Menu 4.2 Deletes most Homebrew and MAY BRICK YOUR WII.

Wolfen
10-01-2009, 03:28 PM
System Menu 4.2 - WiiBrew (http://wiibrew.org/wiki/System_Menu_4.2)
Nintendo FAILS. System Menu 4.2 can brick virgin consoles. GGs. - All is Brawl (http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=37705)

So apparently there has been talk of the 4.2 update bricking people's Wiis, even if they have never installed Homebrew. The issues ae being posted on Nintendo's support forums, and deleted if they don't like the way your worded your post.

4.2 deletes Homebrew Channel (unless it has been updated to the new version), gets rid of BootMii, and updates the IOS to IOS70.

So, liek, dun update!

KentaRawr!
10-01-2009, 03:30 PM
It's a shame. I was just thinking of getting Phantasy Star 2 on the VC, but it doesn't let you use the VC unless you update! >_<

Levian
10-01-2009, 04:15 PM
Yowza, definitely not going to update!

KentaRawr!
10-01-2009, 04:35 PM
I just updated with no problems. Just make sure you update the HBC first before you update. But if you don't particularly have a hankering to use the VC, just don't update at all. :p

Shoeberto
10-01-2009, 04:55 PM
Yeah, they didn't even try to slip in any random "features" into this like they have in the past, this is pretty much just anti-homebrew. (previous anti-homebrew updates slipped oh-so-stealthily inside updates that added much-desired features such as... USB keyboard support for the Mii channel) There's really nothing to gain from installing the update if you don't need to.

ljkkjlcm9
10-01-2009, 05:46 PM
to note: Nintendo has stated the following

Some of you have reported problems with your Wii console after updating to the Wii System Menu 4.2. The symptoms most people are describing usually occur when the Wii has been modified. However, some of you also mention your system has never been modified.

We'd like to help get your system working properly again. If you're experiencing problems with your Wii console after downloading Wii System Menu 4.2, and you believe your system has not been modified, please give us a call. If we find that you have a normal system and the update caused your system to not work, we'll repair it at no charge.

Please call our Customer Service Department at your earliest convenience, 1-800-255-3700. We are open 6 AM to 7 PM, Pacific Time, 7 days a week. - NoA tech forums statement

So, they will fix it if something happens, and you have an unmodded Wii.

THE JACKEL

Old Manus
10-01-2009, 05:57 PM
How dare you do what you want with something you personally own!

KentaRawr!
10-01-2009, 06:56 PM
The problem is that the Homebrew Channel can be used to basically get everything Nintendo normally charges you for for free, and it's rather easy to do. I've also heard some people say that the method required to get the Homebrew Channel onto your Wii (but not the software itself) is also illegal in some way, but I don't know anything about that subject, so I'm not one to say.

Ouch!
10-01-2009, 08:59 PM
How dare you do what you want with something you personally own!
How dare you not accept the consequences of breaking your terms of service agreement.

edczxcvbnm
10-02-2009, 12:31 AM
There are two things that always get me about this sort of thing.

1) I never found the appeal of homebrew. I have a computer...why not save all the hassle and just get a controller for the PC and download an ass ton of ROMs. Nintendo and Sony are not going to release patches for their non-existent stuff for your PC and brick it. What is the appeal? I just don't get it. I guess if you are all about importing games but that doesn't seem to be what homebrew is about.

2) I just find it hilarious that Nintendo and Sony seem to have to fight the :bou::bou::bou::bou: out of this stuff and are always one step behind. Never actually designing a comprehensive solution. With the PSP they had 3 different versions and they still do not have it right. This is the first gen with downloading capabilities for everyone so there was bound to be problems but the newer hardware versions only slightly inconvenience the hackers. At this point is it even worth it? It seems like such a pain and so few people use it...why bother any more if you are Nin, Sony or Micro?

Yeargdribble
10-02-2009, 07:23 AM
I pretty much have to agree that I don't see the point in homebrew for consoles. It's effort, it's costly, and it's obviously risky. It makes more sense for handhelds and I do use it those cases, but I understand why it is disallowed.

It's just too darned easy to use it to never have to buy games at retail. I'm sure more publishers would welcome the concept if they could regulate it, but it's always going to be hard to do and honestly, most people don't get interested in homebrew for literally homebrewed games. They are interested in being able to pirate the crap out of everything.

Madame Adequate
10-02-2009, 09:54 AM
I give the new 4.2 Wii update 8.8 :colbert: