PDA

View Full Version : JayArrPeeGee

Captain Maxx Power
10-02-2009, 12:29 AM
No, not you AZN man *shoes you away*

Anyways, I've had a love of JRPG's for a number of years despite popular opinion that they are less games and more interactive stories. In recent years I've not found any titles that have arrived that peaque my interest. Especially with a tendancy for reviewers to give JRPG's mediocre scores it's difficult for me to find out what is really good or not.

So, what modern JRPG's that have come out in the last five years or so do you think are worthy of my time?

Vermachtnis
10-02-2009, 12:50 AM
Digital Devil Saga, there are two parts and both are equally epic.

Markus. D
10-02-2009, 01:10 AM
It depends how you like your JRPGs... there are simple oldschool JRPGs, Tales Formula JRPGs, Creative JRPGs and Experimental JRPGs.

Captain Maxx Power
10-02-2009, 01:19 AM
I guess most of those. The only JRPG in recent years I hated, and which put me off JRPGs for a number of years, was FF12.

Tavrobel
10-02-2009, 01:25 AM
I don't think that you should hold FFXII to be a typical JRPG to be released within the last five years. It was atypical due to its attempt at re-imagining the battle system. A respectable effort, but not polished enough, in my opinion. Also, the plot sucked horribly. If that's not setting off red flags already, then, I can't help you.

Ouch!
10-02-2009, 11:11 AM
Lost Odyssey. For God's sake. Lost Odyssey.

Jiro
10-02-2009, 12:25 PM
Lost Odyssey, yeah. I also enjoyed Infinite Undiscovery. Anything Persona - it probably holds true for all of the Shin Megami Tensei games but I've only played Persona and Devil Summoner.

I hear Tales of Vesparia is also good, and assuming you enjoy that, then there is a whole series of Tales games for you to look at.

Old Manus
10-02-2009, 02:09 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/oldmanus/rpg.png

I think games should be taken on individual merit rather than this JRPG vs WRPG nonsense.

Wolf Kanno
10-02-2009, 05:15 PM
It depends on what you are looking for. I highly recommend anything with Shin Megami Tensei in the title as they have better turn base mechanics than pretty much anything anyone else releases and despite some teen pop stuff in the Persona series, the rest is genuinely good philosophy and moral ambiguity.

I'm not a huge fan of Tales type games as I find most of their plots just perpetuate the JRPG stereotypes and their battle systems are simple button mashers after awhile.

I guess I'd recommend Suikoden (IV is not as good as the rest of the series but its still better than a lot of other RPGs out there). I'd also recommend some fun SRPGs from Nippon Ichi like the Disgaea series.

Bolivar
10-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Valkyria Chronicles. Period. Seriously. Damn.

Demon's Souls is another.

White Knight Chronicles is coming soon too.

Bam.

Moon Rabbits
10-02-2009, 10:13 PM
It came out 8 years go but it is the best RPG ever made ever ever so play it. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okage:_Shadow_King)

LunarWeaver
10-02-2009, 10:28 PM
I guess I would say Persona 4. Best fun I had with a RPG for a good amount of time. It's too long, I think, but still fun. It breaks some molds. Too many RPGs are the same thing. Like Tales of Vesperia. I felt like I've played that 20 times already. A lot of people love Lost Odyssey. I think there are good moments as far as story and characters go but the battle system was not exciting for me. I eventually started to pick all my characters' commands then turn my chair to my computer and tinker around the Internet until the round was done.

Markus. D
10-02-2009, 11:05 PM
I also enjoyed Infinite Undiscovery

I reccomend this.
Though the gameplay is very run of the mill, soon you'll find the most like-worthy main protagonist in an JRPG ever (even though at the start it'll seem otherwise).

Captain Maxx Power
10-03-2009, 01:10 AM

I think games should be taken on individual merit rather than this JRPG vs WRPG nonsense.

It's a style issue here, I'm after a certain type of RPG which most people know as JRPGs as a blanket term.

Looks like I'll have to get either a PS3 or an 360 to play most of the titles you've recommended.

Ouch!
10-03-2009, 08:21 AM

It's a style issue here, I'm after a certain type of RPG which most people know as JRPGs as a blanket term.

Looks like I'll have to get either a PS3 or an 360 to play most of the titles you've recommended.
Given that most of the titles released in the past five years are for 360 or PS3, I'd think that was a given?

Jiro
10-03-2009, 09:00 AM
I also enjoyed Infinite Undiscovery

I reccomend this.
Though the gameplay is very run of the mill, soon you'll find the most like-worthy main protagonist in an JRPG ever (even though at the start it'll seem otherwise).

I agree, I actually really liked Capell and could relate to him. It's not often you see a protagonist like him.

Seconding the Suikoden series. Also, I'm a fan of the Wild ARMs series.

JKTrix
10-03-2009, 04:16 PM
I highly recommend anything with Shin Megami Tensei in the title as they have better turn base mechanics than pretty much anything anyone else releases

I came to say exactly this

Nifleheim7
10-03-2009, 04:18 PM
It's not a typical JRPG (as far as gameplay goes) but i would definitely recommend Valkyria Chronicles.
It's simply the best JRPG of this generation.

Rase
10-03-2009, 08:07 PM
If you never got around to it and like the old-school feel, Dragon Quest VIII is exceedingly fun.

KentaRawr!
10-03-2009, 08:25 PM
Phantasy Star! :D

Bolivar
10-03-2009, 09:42 PM

Given that most of the titles released in the past five years are for 360 or PS3, I'd think that was a given?

Actually the DS and PS2 might have more, or more worthwhile JRPG's int he alst five years.

I also co-sign Rase, I can't believe i left out Dragon Quest VIII. I couldn't explain the extent of my feelings for this game w/o being chastised.

Dreddz
10-04-2009, 10:59 PM
Persona 4 rekindled my love for JRPG's after many years of disappointment. Anyone doubting the genre needs to play Persona 4 ASAP.

krissy
10-05-2009, 12:15 AM

Actually the DS and PS2 might have more, or more worthwhile JRPG's int he alst five years.

I also co-sign Rase, I can't believe i left out Dragon Quest VIII. I couldn't explain the extent of my feelings for this game w/o being chastised.

hey im a let you all finish but ff7 was the best jrpg in the history of the universe k peace

actually i just wanted to quote this quotation block again

Skyblade
10-06-2009, 12:09 AM
hey im a let you all finish but ff7 was the best jrpg in the history of the universe k peace

Spoken like someone who has never played Chrono Trigger.

If you want a couple excellent JRPGs without getting a XBox 360 or a PS3, go hunt down Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age.

Laddy
10-06-2009, 08:29 AM
Shin Megami Tensei games.

Grandia games.

Suikoden games.

krissy
10-06-2009, 11:39 PM

Spoken like someone who has never played Chrono Trigger.

If you want a couple excellent JRPGs without getting a XBox 360 or a PS3, go hunt down Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age.

like but not as

NeoCracker
10-06-2009, 11:53 PM
Forget the 360 RPG's I'd say. At best they were mediocre, like Lost Oddysy. Star Ocean was good, though thats getting a PS3 port, which will eliminate the most annoying thing in that game, grinding for funeral Buquets. You can still do it, but you don't have to switch back and forth between two god damned disks untold numbers of times.

But PS2 has the persona's, which 3 and 4 are amazing.

Wii has Arc Rise Fantasia coming next year, as well as the DS's Sands of Destruction.

PS2 also has Mana Khemia, which is awesome, though I suggest skipping 2. It uses a lot of things from Atelier Iris, if you've played those, and they are good as well, and adds more tweaks and features to create an awesome title.

The Summoner of Leviathan
10-07-2009, 12:05 AM
Persona 3 or 4 for the PS2. I'd say that P3 has the better plot but P4 has the better game mechanics.

Valkyria Chronicle for the PS3, though it is a sRPG, it is of a different league than your typical grid-like sRPG. Also, the plot is sorta like an alternate universe version of WWII.

Basically nth-ing what others have already said.

Kyros
10-07-2009, 01:36 AM
I loved Suikoden I and II, and III looked pretty cool but never played it. IV was INSANELY short imo, and it wasn't all that great. I didn't even know I was fighting the last boss till after I killed him and was like wtf it's over? I Wasn't close to having ultimate weapons or filling out my 108 stars or anything and was like wow that's lame...

Vermachtnis
10-07-2009, 02:14 AM
PS2 also has Mana Khemia, which is awesome, though I suggest skipping 2. It uses a lot of things from Atelier Iris, if you've played those, and they are good as well, and adds more tweaks and features to create an awesome title.

I dunno, I like Mana Khemia 2. The only thing I didn't like was Whim and Lily. But mostly Whim, Lily was cool for like half a minute in Chapter 9.

Also there's Nostalgia coming out in a couple of weeks. It looks pretty good.

Peegee
10-07-2009, 03:00 PM
"Piqued"

That'd learn ya for flagging my PG radar in your title.

Now go and play Valkyria Chronicles

NeoCracker
10-07-2009, 09:18 PM

I dunno, I like Mana Khemia 2. The only thing I didn't like was Whim and Lily. But mostly Whim, Lily was cool for like half a minute in Chapter 9.

Also there's Nostalgia coming out in a couple of weeks. It looks pretty good.

It's not so much Mana Khemia 2 was a bad game, but it was nothing but a downgraded version of the first game.

Same mechanics, but ugly menus.
A varied cast like Mana Khemia, but the characters were far less interesting.

And of course Flay and Toni's appearances were cool, as well as Zepal's, but none of them had teh same level of appeal as they did when in the first Mana Khemia.

I can fully understand a sequel being different and I can appriciate that, but all Mana Khemia 2 did was try and fail to be Mana Khemia 1.

I dislike this game more for the laziness of the design rather then the game itself. :p