PDA

View Full Version : Here's what I don't get about the censors.

MJN SEIFER
10-03-2009, 10:09 PM
If the made all major swear words appear as "@$%&" or whatever, how come they left in Tifa, starting to say the F Word, but stopping in time? ("Fu, Fu Fu...") Did they think we wouldn't notice? Even to the youngest players it's obvious what shewas going to say. I really don't understand this...

seiferalmasy2
10-04-2009, 02:03 AM
Swear words are placed in by translation team and seldom actually there in the japanese. It is all to do with context.... Barret does not behave totally like what he does in FF7 english for example.

I never understood that Fu was meant to be that .....but if you look at the original text she is prob just unhappy and irritated and not even remotely abusive/swearing.

I will look that scene up for you right now...

ahhhh it is at don's!

colne_5, text 9

Original Tifa : "Fu, fu, fu... Be nice, Don."

PC: {TIFA}
“Phooey…
Be nice‚Don.”

Japanese:

「ウフフ……よろしくね♥ (yes lovehearts will be placed back in for the retranslation)

-------------

ウフフ = ufufu, うふふ (adv) chuckling; giggling [Ex][G][GI][S][A]

Accurate > hehehe

Translated (pending japanese speaker) > hehehe....nice to meet you.

Fu is not swearing and was never intended to. Unfortunately, the translators haven't worked out that it is just girly giggiling....The first used an approximation of the romaji and the second just used a word that is close to fu....

It is a bit incompetant really, they should know this, and they should certainly have used a dictionary like I did, if not.

So that answers your question?
=======================

On swear words, here is a random of Barret

mds7pb_1, text 115

original:
{BARRET}
“&$*#! What's this,
'It wasn't that tough!' crap?”
{NEW PAGE}
“I don't get it!….”
{NEW PAGE}
“You just handle the Materia‚{CLOUD}!”

japanese:

「ケッ! なにが……
 『それほど、むずかしくはないだろう』だ!」<New>
「ぜんぜんわかんねえ……」<New>
「まあ、いいだろう。
 マテリアはおまえが管理しとけ!」<End>

ケッ! > Ketsu!

EUdict | ketsu | Japanese-English dictionary (http://www.eudict.com/?lang=japeng&word=ketsu)

generally...swearing is all down to context/character personality, but in this case I guess "arse" could be considered swearing. (could be just "ass", will check this up with translator)
===============

MJN SEIFER
10-04-2009, 02:25 AM
Oh I see.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

seiferalmasy2
10-04-2009, 02:55 AM
Let's look up 1 more :)

Sky, text 199

original:
{CID}
“$#&%!! / sh.it
The tail's been hit!”

japanese

<Cid>
「シィィーット!!
 尾翼がやられてるじゃねえか!」<End>

haha in this case there is no doubt :P ?

シィィーット!!

shiiitsuto

blackmage_nuke
10-04-2009, 04:27 AM
Isnt "fu fu fu" like a mild evil laugh usually done be females or effeminate male manga/anime characters?

Ah beaten to it

Quindiana Jones
10-04-2009, 12:12 PM
I think Barrett is actually shouting "Mosquito Larva!".

seiferalmasy2
10-04-2009, 12:57 PM
bah I was wrong....I should have known better becuse I know a little katakana...

That is a small tsu, and simply elongates the "ke" sound to "Keh" (shortening of e sound, makes it sound sharp) which is just equivalent to the sound "tsk" that one makes when they are irritated for example

So barret doesn't actually curse there at all, although in context he can be made to say something light hearted such as "crap" and so forth, but barret was never a Mr.T to begin with....