PDA

View Full Version : Freddy is Back

Shiny
10-05-2009, 10:56 PM
A Nightmare on Elm Street (http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1768686105/)

The remake stars the dude from Watchmen and Little Children, Jackie Earle Hurley who in both roles he plays kind of a weird ass dude who people end up feeling sympathy for at some point in the movie. I don't think this will be any different aside from you know, him violently killing people. I'm not sure what to think of the remake yet, but I know that I like Englund's makeup a lot better. Hopefully the performance will out shadow the fact that he some how has yellow mold on his face (http://ghostradio.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/freddy.jpg) despite being burned alive. The colors used look pretty damn cool as well.

Thoughts about this remake thus far? What are your opinions on movie remakes in general? Also, what are your favorite movie remakes and what are you least favorite remakes?

Crop
10-05-2009, 11:07 PM
My friend said in the trailer that it shows Freddy running away from the parents when they're going to burn him after killing their kids (before Freddy dies). He said Freddy was saying things like "No please, I didn't do anything!".

I'm sorry, but that's bull. Freddy is supposed to be a badass killer with no fear. In a huge conversation me and my friends eventually put him as the most evil person in any film. He kills kids, for pleasure. There is no hidden past of him being abused or anything, he's just plain evil.

As for this remake, since the trailer I think it's going to be crap. I still want to see it though.

McLovin'
10-05-2009, 11:19 PM
NO ROBERT ENGLUND, NO GOOD!

Depression Moon
10-06-2009, 01:36 AM
What's with Hollywood remaking all these older movies lately?

Levian
10-06-2009, 02:50 AM
I've seen and enjoyed all the movies, some more than others, so I'm definitely going to see this one. Looks like they're going for a darker approach than most of the sequels, which might be good. Elm street 2 and 4 through 6 were definitely more funny than they were scary anyway.

My friend said in the trailer that it shows Freddy running away from the parents when they're going to burn him after killing their kids (before Freddy dies). He said Freddy was saying things like "No please, I didn't do anything!".

He's probably just saying that to try and squirm away from the angry mob. Even evil people want to stay alive! I don't think the writers are making him an innocent accused, that would be pretty silly of them after everything that happened in the flashbacks in NoES6. I really hope that's not the case. NoES 6 flashback for those who don't remember: His wife finds his secret basement where he keeps pictures of all the kids he killed, as well as gloves and other killing accesories. She promises not to tell anyone, but Fred kills her. He also kills his father earlier in the movie, but that was just for kicks.

NeoCracker
10-06-2009, 02:54 AM
Produced by Michael Bay. Theres one strike against it.
His voice is unbefitting. Theres a second.
The old face make-up looked much cooler. That makes three strikes.

Now, I'd agree on the whole 'I didn't do anything' to be stupid, but him saying that doesn't default him to being innocent. Could have been just saying that to try to get them to not kill him, so I can't really count that as a strike.

That said, never was a slasher movie fan to begin with, so wasn't into these movies. Highly doubt I'll want to see what looks like a poor quality remake.

Edit: CURSE YOU LEVIAN!

And I enjoyed Freddy Vs. Jason for some reason...

Dreddz
10-06-2009, 08:32 PM
This is terrible. No Robert Englund for starters. I thought any decent human being would know not to make a Elm Street film without him.

Levian
10-06-2009, 08:41 PM
Batman without Nicholson as the joker would've sounded pretty terrible a couple years back too, but I'm glad someone had the guts to do it, turned out great. No Englund could turn out terrible, but who knows.

Shoeberto
10-06-2009, 09:18 PM
It might be good, but it's not really going to be an Elm Street movie.

Like, you can re-imagine a lot of slasher icons, because most of the time they have no personality of their own. They're silent, murdering crazies. But to change Freddy's actor and style so significantly makes this into a whole different animal.

I'm interested in seeing some of the new nightmare scenes, just with a different style and all, but it looks like they're relying a decent bit on material from the original which... is fairly disappointing tbh. They don't really need updating. The first one is perfectly creepy in its own way, y'know?

We'll see, I guess!

Seraphic
10-07-2009, 01:24 AM
After seeing the trailer I got kinda excited for it. -shrugs-
I liked the old version and I like scary movies in general.
But I like the bad ones too, so my opinion doesn't really count for much here,lol. :desu:

Levian
10-07-2009, 02:27 AM
I'm interested in seeing some of the new nightmare scenes, just with a different style and all, but it looks like they're relying a decent bit on material from the original which... is fairly disappointing tbh. They don't really need updating. The first one is perfectly creepy in its own way, y'know?

We'll see, I guess!

I hope they don't borrow too much either, it's just plain going to be boring to watch the same movie over again, but i cant say I see any reason to worry about that just yet. I don't recognize much of the material from the trailer, just the glove in the bathtub and the scene with Kris/Tina floating in mid-air are taken from the original. It seems they are giving Kris a longer role this time too, since she's actually present at a funeral. Looks like she won't be first to go. :p But if you're talking about generic clips with girls skipping ropes and Fred making screechy sounds on pipes, then yeah, those are in all the movies.

Definitely going to be new material with the pool scene and the new swimmer guy character.

Shoeberto
10-07-2009, 02:43 AM
Yeah, I meant the hand in the bathtub and floaty scene... admittedly it's been a few years since I watched the original, so I couldn't be sure how much I remembered of it. But if that much of the trailer is original then it might be okay.

I keep looking at Rorshach as Freddy, though, and it's really just not working for me. The proof will be in the pudding, I guess.

sephireland
10-07-2009, 10:58 AM
I imagine this will be every bit as bad as the Friday remake.

Namelessfengir
10-07-2009, 07:27 PM
i lost all respect for freddy after i saw him fail to kill patrica arquette.... he could have stopped her from making medium.....

Agent Proto
10-07-2009, 07:37 PM
I enjoyed some of the Elm Street movies, but I never was a big fan of horror movies anyway. I agree that some were pretty funny, and changing the actor would be a disaster, but the new guy playing Freddy would probably do a good job, I believe. He was pretty awesome as Rorschach in Watchmen, so I imagine he would do a kickass job as Krueger. Do I plan on watching this? Not in the theaters, the loud noises would freak the hell out of me more than watching it. :/

As for remakes in general? I don't really mind them, but I would say most of them are pretty terrible and don't do the original any justice.

Jessweeee♪
10-07-2009, 08:19 PM
I'm just hoping we don't get a really boring origin story that ends up taking like half the movie or something S:

Mogi
10-07-2009, 08:56 PM
If it's as lacking in story content as the majority of other horror movies, I will hate it. I'll still go see it, because it's interesting to see how literary elements play out in horror movies, but I probably won't have any compliments.