PDA

View Full Version : Portable telecommunications devices.

Quindiana Jones
10-07-2009, 02:45 PM
I'm thinking of switching from PAYG to contract. I want texts. I want minutes. I want internet access. O2 (represent!) can give me 1200 texts, 600 minutes and Unlimited Web for just under £20. But, I've always been PAYG so I don't know what's good, bad or ugly. It's a one month deal, which sounds cool. I don't wanna be tied to a contract for years. So advise me, pl0x.

The more important topic of this thread is to talk about your phones. How good/crap are they? What are they? Have you ever punched a llama? What network you on? What phone would you like if you had the money?

Momiji
10-07-2009, 02:48 PM
Black Cherry-colored LG Chocolate, Verizon network, and I never use it enough to even come close to my limit, and I'm on a shared plan with my dad and grandma-- who never use their phones either.

Once my birthday rolls around, my contract will be up and it'll be time to get a new one. Frankly I'm not so fond of the Chocolate's style, and would like to have a flip phone again. Any suggestions?

Rye
10-07-2009, 02:58 PM
I had a really nice touch screen LG Voyager Titanium. But it's at home now.

Right now I have probably the most ghetto phone you can buy in England, but since England is even more into phones than Americans are, it has the standard features (camera, alarm, etc). I have a pay as you go with Virgin with an unlimited texting tariff. Works for me!

Breine
10-07-2009, 03:59 PM
I've had the same Sony Ericsson phone for over three years now, and it still works perfectly fine.

I'm not really into buying new phones all the time and such. As long as they work then it's alright with me.

rubah
10-07-2009, 04:50 PM
I have an LG Glimmer. It was a wonderful concept for a phone, but the hardware is severely lacking. It's also retardedly locked down thanks to Alltel's obsession with selling ringtones.

It does take nice pictures though; I got some prints made a few weeks ago and a lot of them were taken on my phone and look really nice.

I just wish the touchscreen worked better!

Rodarian
10-07-2009, 08:19 PM
Almost everyone on campus has the most up to date advanced BB's , iPhones and other high end cell phones brands...

Me...I have my motorola l6 which has been with me for nearly three years...she does the job and has some modest equipment...... After so many abuses that been done to her, I'm surprised that she hasn't filed a report yet!!..
.Her screen was cracked and didn't get replaced for like six months! Why just this even as I got out my car , I dropped her!

I would dearly miss my baby should I ever upgrade. I did upgrade to a samsung something once about a yera or so back.....I couldn't get use to the controls..So I gave it my mum when she visited. I would buy an iphone though..It would suit me better than a BB....

My package is pre pay Warid..Its kinda pricey in comparison to competitor rates, but the international rates are cheap!! Plus I'm lazy to change networks...

Jowy
10-07-2009, 08:42 PM
I have a landline. It never fails me.

Jojee
10-07-2009, 08:46 PM
I punch llamas all the time. :3

I only get 300 texts a month and that's for both receiving and sending :|, but I'm still on my parents' plan. Once I get my own plan, it's going to have unlimited texting. ^^

Shoeberto
10-07-2009, 08:47 PM
I have an LG Shine, which is okay. It's just so damn locked down. I might like a smart phone or something with a qwerty keypad instead of it, but it works suitably well.

Peegee
10-07-2009, 08:58 PM
I have a refurbished phone. From what seems like 2 years ago.

It is this - [url=http://cellphones.gsmhacks.com/lg-vx8600-ax8600-15/]LG VX8600]

It's not bad, but it does not work in basements / concrete areas. I found this out the hard way. The reception is also not that great. Good thing I don't really use it often.

Dignified Pauper
10-07-2009, 09:07 PM
I work at Verizon Wireless. Right now, I'm using an LG Titanium Voyager, same phone Rye said. It shuts down on occasions here and there, but that's an LG software issue.

I am thinking of switching to the HTC Touch Pro 2, simply because it is an amazing fucking phone. Or the BB Storm 2 that is rumored to be coming out soon according to crackberry, but I wasn't a fan of the first Storm.

That said, HTC TOUC PRO 2 is AMAZING. Way better than that Apple crap, because I don't need all those cool aps. I need coverage, and awesome internet browsing on my phone.

I Took the Red Pill
10-07-2009, 09:48 PM
I was on Cingular 'til I discovered that Cingular gets :bou::bou::bou::bou: reception at my University, so I really had no choice but to switch. I had no service in my dorm room and that just wasn't gon' fly wid me. I switched to Verizon and I'm using an LG Dare, and it's been working gr8 for almost a year now.

Jojee
10-07-2009, 09:50 PM
I want to switch to Verizon or AT&T or something. I'm on an LJ Rumor (which works great for my limited purposes of calling and texting) with Sprint (their reception sucks, and no one else uses them).

Heath
10-08-2009, 12:22 AM
Blackberry 8310, I think. I really like it. For someone who lacks anything near a proper Internet connection at home it's incredibly convenient and it's nice being able to browse the Internet and send e-mails from the phone. It's generally just a pleasing phone to use.

XxSephirothxX
10-08-2009, 02:44 AM
I've got a Samsung Blackjack II (http://www.geek.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/samsungblackjackii.jpg), but since I don't pay for a data plan the fact that it's a 3G smartphone is largely irrelevant for me. By the time I'm willing to plunk down an extra 20+ bucks a month for slow internet on my phone, I'll upgrade to something with a bigger screen, anyway.

The keyboard is much nicer for texting than my old flip phone, at least, and the 2.0 megapixel camera is easily my most-used feature, since it's competent enough to take pleasing day-to-day images.

Blue Harvest
10-08-2009, 11:10 AM
I have two phones atm. My new Nokia 5800 which has developed a problem and won't let me text at all (and it's on contract) and my older Samsung G600 which still works fine (and is on Pay & Go). They're both on o2, which tbh is a great network until you get a problem then they'll just repeat over and over the solutions from the website even when you're practically screaming at them that none of them worked.

Dignified Pauper
10-10-2009, 04:31 AM
I cannot freaking wait for the VZW and Google Android phones to launch. Rumor has it HTC will be making one. This is unprecedented. AAAAND, I have an upgrade available. I'm going to be so cool.

drotato
10-10-2009, 05:44 AM
How good/crap are they?
Preeeeeetty crappy if I do say so myself. /:
What are they?
Samsung, Highnote. Ugh.
Have you ever punched a llama?
No, but I've always wanted one to spit on me so that I could. =D
What network you on?
SPRINT, AND THEY SUUUUUCK.
What phone would you like if you had the money?
I'd switch to AT&T and get one of their nifty touch phones/keyboard thingies. :3

Jess
10-10-2009, 12:07 PM
I have a Nokia 5000.

http://www.getprice.com.au/images/uploadimg/1144/350__1_nokia_5000purple.jpg

It's a cute little phone, not the best but I'm not really too fussed as long as it does what I need it to do.

I'm on O2 Simplicity, Quin - and it's perfect for me. Except I have 600 minutes and unlimited texts, because I text all the time. :jess:

Araciel
10-10-2009, 03:58 PM
I have a Blackberry Storm through work... It's better than most people say it is. I don't pay for it because I work for a cell phone company, but our plans are different... depends on what you need...

32.70/month gives you 100 daytime, unlimited nights and weekends after 9pm and 1000 outgoing texts.

Dignified Pauper
10-10-2009, 04:18 PM
The storm was just piss-poorly designed with a lack of RAM. It causes the thing to slow down drastically once you have a lot of applications.

Fonzie
10-10-2009, 04:42 PM
I have the Blackberry Tour at the moment, and everything is wonderful at the moment!

Tavrobel
10-11-2009, 03:17 AM
I managed to get myself a new Samsung Impression, and not less than five hours ago, too. Ahh, upgrades.

Psychotic
10-11-2009, 04:57 PM
I have a Nokia of some sort. cba to look up the actual model because every Nokia is just some faceless number. If they called them things like Fred or Nancy I'd be able to remember it. It's old now, I guess, but it does the business.