PDA

View Full Version : replaying with new teams/charas

Kyros
10-07-2009, 07:55 PM
So whenever you replay through a FF do you tend to migrate back towards your original/favorite team, or do you mess around with your party by trying out characters you either didn't care to try before or didn't want to b/c you were already comfortable with what you had? I normally like to try to change at least 1 member of my party from what I was used to before when playing through again, but sometimes I end up back with my original party. At the very least I like to use some characters more often so I can see how much I like them instead of just writing them off w/o ever seeing if they were actually fun to use.

Like in FFVIII where I ended up with my same 3 person party I'd used before (Squall/Rinoa/Zell) though I did use Quistis and Irvine a lot more than I did before. I just couldn't see myself replacing any of my guys in the end though so Quistis and Irvine just had good stats while Selphie was the one carrying Cactuar for kamikaze vs Ultimecia...again lol

In my current playthrough of FFVII I'm running Cid when before I used either Red or Vincent. I've used Yuffie some here and there too just b/c she's goofy and I can't help it :P

Edea's-Ether
10-07-2009, 09:09 PM
Actually I max out every charecter so I normaly just do that again lol but my main "killers" for ending the game always end up the same. Simply because I use the charecters I like best.

Vermachtnis
10-07-2009, 09:17 PM
I have a bad habit of only using characters I like, even in multiple playthroughs. I try to rotate around. But where you can't remove the main character a lot of the time you still only have two slots most of the time. So yea, almost every playthough ends up with Cloud, Yuffie, and someone else or Squall, Selphie, and someone else. I liked that in VI, IX, X, and XII you get more options with your team. But even still there seems like only one open slot for.

Kyros
10-07-2009, 09:44 PM
Actually I max out every charecter so I normaly just do that again lol but my main "killers" for ending the game always end up the same. Simply because I use the charecters I like best.

I think the only FF I've maxed out anyones lv was in FFVIII where I got my main party to 100, where's the need for this in all the games :confused: In FFIX I did everything before 80, FVII by 85-90 (woulda been earlier but lved a lot while materia took forever to lv to get ready to kill weapons), wasn't but like 60ish I think in IV and VI, +/- 5 lvs

Bolivar
10-07-2009, 09:54 PM
Lately I've tried to use everyone in all the games. FFVI is great for this on multiple playthroughs because there's just so many of them, and learning to exploit the strengths of ones you didn't before is a fun experience.

In FFVIII, I always defaulted to Squall, Zell, and Irvine b/c their limit breaks were just so powerful, but in my last game I set up the girls so they could be powerhouses as well.

Wolf Kanno
10-08-2009, 01:39 AM
Depends on the game and the circumstances of why I don't use them...

I try to use everyone, I'm pretty good with it in VI. In VII I'm pretty good with one exception. I just hate Yuffie and can never bring myself to use her. I'll get all her Limit Breaks but I never bring her along for story stuff. I would never obtain her if the game didn't make her side story the only means of obtaining one of my favorite summons Leviathan. :roll2

I have a similar problem with Selphie in VIII. I don't hate her (though I'm finding her and most of the cast pretty annoying in my current playthrough) but I never like using her. Probably cause I dislike her Limit Break and in the end, that's all that matters to me in this game due to how the Junction system works.

IX is another game where I have some issues with specific characters, mostly with Dagger and Eiko. I prefer Dagger as a party member but I don't like the character. Eiko always seems like she's more annoying than she really is, I think I'm just bias against her awful character design. But I ultimately I don't like using either character.

In X, I don't use Kimarhi and Yuna very often cause I never find a need to use them. I rarely need healing in battle, I rarely use summons, and Kimarhi kinda got the shaft as the "build your own sub-par character" since he basically comes across as a weak copy of a better character. I usually have to go out of my way to use the whole cast in this game. To be fair, Auron also gets quickly eclipsed by Wakka and Lulu but I use him a lot out of love :love:

I used everyone in XII, though I ended up playing favorites still...

In FFV and now FFIII I have been bit more open about experimenting with all the job classes and finding some amusing combos.

Kyros
10-08-2009, 03:41 AM
I ran Yuna, Tidus, and Wakka as my main 3 in X if I had to choose though the game was pretty easy to mix it up with the in combat roster change ability. Anima was just too good imo, and Yuna's holy was hitting harder than Lulu's flare on my game, even though they both had their ultimate weapons where Lulu's had the mp turbo ability (I was kinda surprised but Anima was still so much better than what Lulu had to offer imo anyway so w/e).

I Can't really stand Selphie in VIII (zomg something in VIII I'm not fond of lol). Her limit was extremely overpowered for a while into the game, but other than that I just preferred everyone else to her when it came to personalities and what they had to offer so sorry Selphie you get to sit on the sidelines.

In IX I keep telling myself I'll drop Garnet for Eiko when I get her. My plan this next play through is to run Zidane, Freya, Eiko, and idk who the 4th will be honestly though. This is replacing 2 of my last members (Garnet->Eiko, Steiner or Vivi ->Freya). I would probably throw Amarant in as the last character since he was always a guy I wanted to use, but when I got him I felt like he was too far behind my main party to be worth it. Plus I didn't feel like I needed to change up my lineup since it was working so nicely already.

In VI I would run Terra more since I hardly used her once I had Celes, Locke, Sabin, and Edgar all together. I would maybe run Relm b/c I always liked her chara lol. Painting pictures > monsters rawr

VII I keep telling myself one day I'll actually use Barret, but after like 10374834 play throughs he's still been dropped every time the second I get a 4th chara. I've just never been a fan of him, and I like all of the other characters (except maybe Cait Sith, he's ok I guess but just don't care for him in battle).

FFI I could always try the white mage challenge I guess :x It was issued by Nintendo Power back in the day, but they had 4 people prove they did it by the time the next month's issue was released so not just 1 person won the contest lol. 4xwhite mages ftw, would hope you never ran out of heals

Edea's-Ether
10-09-2009, 12:59 AM

I think the only FF I've maxed out anyones lv was in FFVIII where I got my main party to 100, where's the need for this in all the games :confused: In FFIX I did everything before 80, FVII by 85-90 (woulda been earlier but lved a lot while materia took forever to lv to get ready to kill weapons), wasn't but like 60ish I think in IV and VI, +/- 5 lvs

I'm an anal retentive player I do everything. I tend to max everyone out befor I even get half way threw the game but its part of the fun for me....Even now i'm still playing Dissidia and CC because I havent maxed the charecters yet....and lack of time on my part of being ale to play....

But in FFVII I used Cloud,Red and Yuffie or Tifa....I like Vincent best but his limits sucked for me.

In FFVIII it was Squall,Zell and Selphie<----best limit she can cast Aura,Triple and The End supreme skills for easy kills.

In FFX I used either Yuna ,Tidus and Rikku but since I had favorite pairings for battles I'd use Auron ,Tidus and Rikku and Yuna,Khimari and Lulu or Tidus ,Wakka and Rikku...The end game I used Yuna,Auron and Tidus.

Kyros
10-09-2009, 06:29 AM
I try to do everything too, but you don't ever need to be max lv for it any any of them really =/ Like in IX I killed everything easy at 70ish even Ozma, and I had all the abilities so why should I care about my lv?

I would use selphie but I normally use cerberus then aura on everyone for big fights anyway in which I dont need her limit to do it for me. With aura on squall, zell, and rinoa seemed like there was little need to try to kill anything unless it was omega or ultimecia till invincible moon kicked in.