PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the DSi and PSP!

Kumo
10-08-2009, 03:41 PM
So my DS Lite is dying, and I'm wondering if somebody could shed the light on a subject I don't really know much about for those two systems (PSP and DSi).

BATTERY LIFE. It's the #1 thing I worry about in a game system. I have the DS Lite, and it had a decent battery life (especially with the ability to switch the power settings).

I've been thinking of replacing the DS Lite with the DSi, and also maybe purchasing a PSP in the future (a 3000, not the GO). Could anybody enlighten me to the battery life of each system on the different settings, ie, the longest and shortest in the modes? It would really help me out. Thanks.

Momiji
10-08-2009, 04:00 PM
I don't know anything about the PSP, but the DSi, at full brightness, lasts about 3-4 hours of constant use.

Yeargdribble
10-08-2009, 05:22 PM
I'm not completely sure, but from personal experience it seems like the battery life on PSP 3000 is about 5 hours. You can turn on a feature that auto-dims the screen when appropriate which prolongs the battery life a tiny bit.

Slothy
10-08-2009, 05:44 PM
I have a PSP-2000 and though I've never really bothered to time it I'd say I get at least around 4 hours out of it, maybe more.

The Summoner of Leviathan
10-08-2009, 06:27 PM
I only have a DS Lite, but when I was going to purchase it, I was looking up DSi's too, and from what I can tell the DSi's battery life, according to Nintendo, is slightly less than that of the DS Lite.

PSP? I have no idea though.

JKTrix
10-08-2009, 09:21 PM
This article compares the DSlite and the DSi in various aspects, but has the different battery lives at the different Brightness settings.

Let's Compare The DS Lite and the DSi - DSI - Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/5057883/lets-compare-the-ds-lite-and-the-dsi)

The PSP 3000 and PSP Go battery lives are apparently equivalent, despite the PSP Go not having any moving parts.

PSPgo – Your Questions Answered – PlayStation.Blog.Europe (http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2009/06/12/pspgo-your-questions-answered/)

The raw details:
Battery Life
Nintendo DSi: The lowest brightness (9-14 hrs), low brightness (8-12 hours), medium brightness (6-9 hours), high brightness (4-6 hours), highest brightness(3-4 hours)
Nintendo DS Lite: The lowest brightness (15-19 hrs), low brightness (10-15 hours), high brightness (7-11 hours), highest brightness(5-8 hours)

The battery life is equivalent with the current models meaning approximately 3 to 6 hours for gameplays and approximately 3 to 5 hours for playing back videos.

Yeargdribble
10-09-2009, 05:22 AM
Wow, sounds like if you're looking for battery life the DS Lite is the way to go. I never really play mine on anything but low brightness because there's rarely need to. It so rarely needs charging I tend to forget where the cord is when it finally does.

Kumo
10-12-2009, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. My DS Lite is on it's way to dying. The swivel is chipped and broken, left side speaker goes out all the time, and sometimes the shoulder buttons/touch screen don't respond. It's seen its fair share of battles, so it's almost time to retire it.

I might just go with a DSi first, then get a PSP 3000 later. Screw the PSP Go and not having the physical game anymore! I mean, what if you're system is stolen? How would you get everything back?

Skyblade
10-12-2009, 10:09 PM
I would get a new DSLite over the DSi. Longer battery life and the ability to play GBA games. They're still sold lots of places, even new ones.

Formalhaut
10-13-2009, 03:17 PM
All the DSi is in my uninformed view is a camera.

Kumo
10-13-2009, 11:44 PM
There are DSi only games in the works that use the camera, and there is also an added SD card slot which could add some more homebrew possibilities later or the next iteration of the R4 card. Look at games like Zelda for the DS which used EVERYTHING the system had to offer. You had to use the Mic for noise and blowing, you had to close the system to transfer things from the top screen to the bottom . . . I'm SURE there will be some cool games that use the camera eventually, then people will go out and buy the DSi. I usually use the 2nd lowest brightness, and I'd be happy with 8-12 hours.

But yeah, we'll see! I won't buy it in the next few months, but maybe next year.

Skyblade
10-14-2009, 06:00 AM
There are DSi only games in the works that use the camera, and there is also an added SD card slot which could add some more homebrew possibilities later or the next iteration of the R4 card. Look at games like Zelda for the DS which used EVERYTHING the system had to offer. You had to use the Mic for noise and blowing, you had to close the system to transfer things from the top screen to the bottom . . . I'm SURE there will be some cool games that use the camera eventually, then people will go out and buy the DSi. I usually use the 2nd lowest brightness, and I'd be happy with 8-12 hours.

But yeah, we'll see! I won't buy it in the next few months, but maybe next year.

Yes, look at the Zelda game. It was terrible. It had gimmicks for the sake of gimmicks, poor gameplay, bad controls, terrible plot, repetitive dungeons, boring characters, and pointless gimmickry. It was the worst game purchase I've made in a long time. And any attempt to include the camera in a game will be just as bad.

Kumo
10-14-2009, 04:08 PM
I enjoyed The Phantom Hourglass a lot. Totally different world than Twilight Princess, and picked up right after The Wind Waker, continuing the story. It's great when games continue where the last one left off. I found the controls as innovative, not gimmicky. Using that stuff is better than having to input a 14 button combination to solve puzzles and the like on older systems (see Ocarina songs).

Anyways, just read something over on kotaku.com that said nVidia is working on the NEXT chip for the DS due to be announced at the end of 2010. Does this mean ANOTHER new system is on the way? Or just another iteration?

JKTrix
10-15-2009, 10:39 PM
Also notice the big ol' 'Rumor' tag on that post. I wouldn't concern yourself over it much at this point. Nintendo just released the DSi, they will not release another handheld system so soon after that.

I'm not going to say 'they're not working on a new handheld', because that would be incorrect. They (and any company) is always working on something new. Just don't bother waiting for it if you're on the verge of purchase already.

Momiji
10-15-2009, 11:14 PM

That's because you're uninformed. Good job.

Luckily for you, I wrote a nice, long article explaining everything way back when on omgmygame. And this was before I got my hands on some of the ArtStyle games and Flipnote Studio. (http://www.omgmygame.com/node/88)

It's much more than a camera.

black orb
10-16-2009, 09:24 PM
>>> Dont get a PSP, i bought a new one just one month ago and is already giving me problems (game freezing and sometimes unable to read the UMDs)..

Formalhaut
10-16-2009, 09:37 PM

That's because you're uninformed. Good job.

Luckily for you, I wrote a nice, long article explaining everything way back when on omgmygame. And this was before I got my hands on some of the ArtStyle games and Flipnote Studio. (http://www.omgmygame.com/node/88)

It's much more than a camera.

Wow Momiji! Thats a great Article you wrote. I think the camera could have been improved upon. I feel its just a gimmick in my opinion. Basically, fi you already have a fully functioning DS Lite, don't get it unless its beaten up!

Because of your article you get two cookies Momiji: :cookie: :cookie:

Elly
10-17-2009, 01:54 AM
>>> Dont get a PSP, i bought a new one just one month ago and is already giving me problems (game freezing and sometimes unable to read the UMDs)..

are you being wreckless with you PSP or UMDs? like tossing them around? cause there should be no reason for that to be happening, i've never heard of a new PSP doing that... we have 2 PSP-2000s in our home over a year old and they work like new, never had a problem with them, but i'm extra carefull with my UMDs like i am with CD/DVDs, and i keep our PSPs in the official PSP carrying cases the ones with screenguards and spaces for 2 extra UMDs & memsticks...

black orb
10-23-2009, 02:08 AM

are you being wreckless with you PSP or UMDs? like tossing them around? cause there should be no reason for that to be happening, i've never heard of a new PSP doing that... we have 2 PSP-2000s in our home over a year old and they work like new, never had a problem with them, but i'm extra carefull with my UMDs like i am with CD/DVDs, and i keep our PSPs in the official PSP carrying cases the ones with screenguards and spaces for 2 extra UMDs & memsticks...
>>> Nope, im very careful with the console and games, I just play a lot (like all day every day :P)..

JKTrix
10-23-2009, 05:20 AM
There's always a percentage of consumer electronics that just fail for no good reason. Just bad luck of the draw. I hope you took it back and got another one.

I've had my PSP since 2005, and while it's probably a different model from the one you had 'for a month', I have had Zero problems with it.

Also, your posts elsewhere lead me to believe you may be running Custom Firmware, which could be causing your problems. Research the latest news on firmwares and stuff and sort that stuff out.

black orb
10-23-2009, 06:13 PM
There's always a percentage of consumer electronics that just fail for no good reason. Just bad luck of the draw. I hope you took it back and got another one.

I've had my PSP since 2005, and while it's probably a different model from the one you had 'for a month', I have had Zero problems with it.

Also, your posts elsewhere lead me to believe you may be running Custom Firmware, which could be causing your problems. Research the latest news on firmwares and stuff and sort that stuff out.
>>> I dont have custom firmware, i`ll probably install some after the guarantee expires.. and yeah im planning to change it for a another one..

Kumo
10-28-2009, 05:15 PM
What Would The DS Look Like With a Four Inch Screen? - DSI - Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/5391387/what-would-the-ds-look-like-with-a-four-inch-screen)

Here's a little bit of speculation about the new(er) DSi probably coming out this winter in Japan. 4 inch screen? Heck, I'd hate to see what the battery life on that will be. If it's the same as the DSi though, I'd think about getting it.

JKTrix
10-29-2009, 02:11 PM
So it happened. Looks like it was designed for 'old people', who may have vision problems and cannot hold onto the teeny stylus. It comes with a normal sized stylus and a much larger 'Pen'.

Nintendo.co.jp - Nintendo DSi LL (http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/dsiLL/index.html)

To further clarify, the clothing size LL in Japan = XL in the US. It's specifically saying it's an 'Extra Large DSi'. Battery life is better than the DSi, just a little bit worse than the Lite. I guess since it's bigger, they can have a bigger battery. From the page that shows you the specs:

DSiLL
# 最低輝度 約13~17時間
# 低輝度   約11~14時間
# 中輝度   約9~11時間
# 高輝度   約6~8時間
# 最高輝度 約4~5時間
(使用するソフトにより異なります)

DSi
# 最低輝度 約9~14時間
# 低輝度   約8~12時間
# 中輝度   約6~9時間
# 高輝度   約4~6時間
# 最高輝度 約3~4時間
(使用するソフトにより異なります)

DSlite
# 最低輝度 約15~19時間
# 低輝度   約10~15時間
# 高輝度   約7~11時間
# 最高輝度 約5~8時間
(使用するソフトにより異なります)

The numbers are the estimated hours, the rankings depend on which brightness setting. They all depend on the game you're playing.

So, I have to eat a little crow when I said they wouldn't release new hardware so soon. This, I think, is an acceptable release. They're not really adding anything new, this seems to be designed specifically for older people. Given the extended age demographic that Nintendo has reached, I'd say it's pretty nice of them to accomodate their more aged consumers.

Even though I'm a huge DS fan, even I recognize that 99% of the 3D games on the system look like garbage. I do not want to see them on a bigger screen. I think the screen is now the same size as the PSP's screen, just not in widescreen. Yikes.

black orb
10-29-2009, 08:53 PM
So it happened. Looks like it was designed for 'old people', who may have vision problems and cannot hold onto the teeny stylus.
>>> Cool, they are finally thinking about us..

Kumo
10-30-2009, 09:36 PM
I'm definitely thinking of buying the DSi LL to replace my dying DS lite now. I'm sold on the better battery life, and wouldn't mind playing some games on bigger screens.

Elly
10-31-2009, 01:18 AM
it would definately make some of the stylus motion commands in "The World Ends With You" easier to pull off...