PDA

View Full Version : Everquest

Flying Mullet
10-09-2009, 07:09 PM
Did you play it? Do you play it? What did you enjoy about it? What did you hate about it?

Yeah, discuss Everquest here.

I played it for about a year, but never had a character higher than level 15 or so. I just never seemed to have any luck with parties. Either people already had friends (online or offline) that they would party with and wouldn't party with me, or I ended up with the "leftovers", like the time I played a cleric and the warrior I was partied with would run away when his hit points dropped down to three bubbles and leave me to die. Needless to say that party didn't last long.

Markus. D
10-09-2009, 08:51 PM
I believe I was playing the original Lineage back then xD!

Freya
10-09-2009, 09:04 PM
I played it. I also had ti for my playstation when they added in the HDD. My brother was more obsessed with it than I was. I prefer WoW over everquest but you know those hardcore geeks and the EQ. :P

Raistlin
10-09-2009, 10:38 PM
I played it in high school, at least 6 years ago. I had a Ranger in the 50s and a Druid in the 30s. I liked it, but I got tired of it after 6-8 months of hard playing. Apparently it's only gotten worse since then.

I didn't know anyone on my server offline, but I did eventually join up with a good guild and made a few friends that I consistently did quests and stuff with. Or just goofed off with them, as in drinking a ton of ale and try to see who can manage not to fall off the bridges in the wood elf city (I forget it's name).

Rostum
10-10-2009, 07:06 AM
I remember always seeing it in stores back then and thinking how cool it would be. First time I had ever really heard the concept of an MMO. But it wasn't until FFXI that I started playing MMO's.

McLovin'
10-10-2009, 05:27 PM
Played the trial, was fun. Shadowmancer or something wrah!

Bolivar
10-12-2009, 04:06 AM
Yes. All I can say is I'm glad I got sucked into it when I was young and in middle school, because this could have potentially ruined my life if I had done it in say, college or on my own. One summer I would wake up at 10, play until 3 or 4, and repeat. Everyone here knows that story or knows someone who does.

Back in the early years, leveling was hard, or at least wasn't nearly as easy as it is today in EQ or other MMO's for that matter. It was bad to do so much work and only get a little bit of experience. Damn those damage caps were enough to make you go crazy...

I think once I got tired of it, it turned me off from MMO's completely. When all my friends got into FFXI Online, I passed, despite really wanting to play it, and I did the same when WoW became a big thing. I can't play those games anymore. I just can't.

Aerio
10-12-2009, 11:38 AM
Yea, started in middle school. I even picked up eq2 for a few years over WoW. I had a druid in the 50s and a rogue in the 50s and tons of alts. I never dreamed of having a maxed char in EQ though. Was such a long grind. I love Norrath's rich lore and world, but looking back, the game is so outdated and tedious now and everquest 2 is just stale.

Kelethin is the name of the wood elf city, btw. <3 Tree cities.

Raistlin
10-14-2009, 03:09 AM
Kelethin was awesome, and I spent a lot of time there. I remember an orc raid that made my poor computer cry. Now I'm getting all nostalgic about my old adventures, though don't have as many fond memories of EQ as I do about Ultima Online.

Flying Mullet
10-14-2009, 01:00 PM
I had a Ranger once in Kelethin and I remember watching the world go by while I made arrows (fletching, I think it is). That and some nub claiming I was KS'ing him because I was practicing my archery on the peons close to town.

And speaking of crafting/trade skills, I remember I finally increased my Barbarian Warrior's smithing (or whatever) skill to where I could somewhat consistently make chain mail bracers, thus the skill was at a point where it was viable. And that's about the time I quit playing. :cry:

Bolivar
10-14-2009, 09:12 PM
Oh man I remember going to Kelethin as a Dark Elf and basically was on the fringes because they did not want my ass there. Somehow miraculously I think a few people tolerated me because my affinity or whatever was coming towards the middle at that point. But the city in the trees, the landscape, it was a crazy fantastical experience being a dark elf, being used to the caves and the plains in the easterlands, whatever. It was awesome. When I'm done with school I think I'm gonna get into something like FFXIV or something, all this nostalgia just got me hyped for it. Thanks, guys. Thanks alot.

Raistlin
10-16-2009, 03:14 AM
I had a Ranger once in Kelethin and I remember watching the world go by while I made arrows (fletching, I think it is). That and some nub claiming I was KS'ing him because I was practicing my archery on the peons close to town.

And speaking of crafting/trade skills, I remember I finally increased my Barbarian Warrior's smithing (or whatever) skill to where I could somewhat consistently make chain mail bracers, thus the skill was at a point where it was viable. And that's about the time I quit playing. :cry:

Haha, I did the same thing with fletching with my Ranger. I just finally got to the point where it could be pretty useful in making actually useful bows for me (as a 50+ Ranger -- I didn't pick up the skill until fairly late in the game)... and shortly after I stopped playing.

Elskidor
10-17-2010, 09:43 PM
Still have an active account on the original and eq2. There is not an mmo to date that can compare to the challenge and fun of the original Everquest. EQ2 is very bland in comparison, but modern day MMOs are all rather easy and dull. I patiently await for a full remake of Everquest with modern day graphics and a few new techniques. They need to quit watering down games and making them so easy. But I know for games like WoW, the young teen fan base is huge, and they need something easier to keep their attention span. I guess easy mode keeps these types of games from being as addictive too.

escobert
10-17-2010, 10:37 PM
I played it a bit. I ha a few offline friends who played. then I died in the woods one day and we couldn't find my body so I stopped playing after that.