PDA

View Full Version : Temperature wimps

Rye
10-13-2009, 08:01 AM
Hux and I are temperature wimps. It's been cold in England, but when it hit a bit over 60 degrees a few days ago, we couldn't stop complaining about how hot it was. I feel like a wimp compared to Californians. Anything over mid-70s and I'm reduced to a sweaty whining mess.

I'm also not very tolerant of cold, though I'm much better with cold than I am with heat. I think I thrive best in the range of 50-60 degrees. I'm oddly specific.

What about you? What temperatures do you like, and what temperatures can you not live in?

The Summoner of Leviathan
10-13-2009, 08:17 AM
I grew up with winters that hit -40C or lower. With consistent weather, I can adapt to -20C and last for a short amount of time before needing to warm up. The key thing is consistent weather. :/

Heat? Not so good but I can manage it if I can not think about it. Working in a kitchen during the summer helped my heat tolerance. :D

theundeadhero
10-13-2009, 08:26 AM
It was 110 yesterday afternoon and I was thinking to myself that the weather was awesome. Then it gets down to 80s at night and I freeze so much my teeth chatter.

TheAbominatrix
10-13-2009, 08:27 AM
I was born and raised in California and I still cant stand the heat. Summer here is awful. 90+ and I start to complain... but I will say, I prefer California to some other places, whereas here it cools down at night (usually). If it's hot I cant sleep, I toss and turn and often have very awful nightmares.

I dont know how I'll do Burning Man :[

Rye
10-13-2009, 08:27 AM
... =O

Marshall Banana
10-13-2009, 08:35 AM
California heat is much better than Kentucky heat, but I love Kentucky weather this year! It's great! Perfect spring, summer, and autumn! I'm hoping for a snowy winter, too.

I don't have much cold tolerance, but I love the cold.

Wolf Kanno
10-13-2009, 10:22 AM
I adore the cold weather. My optimal temperature is anywhere between 40 to low 60 degree weather. I even love when it falls below 0 degrees here.

I can't stand the heat though, once it hits 70 degrees I start to complain and heat will wake me up faster than freezing. I'm waiting for a new Ice Age that would keep my part of the planet in permanent overcast for a few centuries. Stupid life giving sun... :colbert:

Breine
10-13-2009, 10:37 AM
We have really cold winters here (some days around 0 degrees fahrenheit), and the summers can become quite hot as well - sometimes upto 85-90 degrees fahrenheit. - and then there's everything in between.

I can cope with most temperatures I think. Not really that much of a wimp, but surely extremes are extremes and not really that enjoyable.

Heath
10-13-2009, 10:44 AM
I'm usually fine in cold weather in Britain, it's just hot weather I can't stand. It's easier to do something, clothes-wise, about being too cold than too hot. I might complain it's cold, but that's just because I'm British and I have to complain about the weather.

Rantz
10-13-2009, 11:26 AM
I can stand cold better than most people, it seems. Not quite as good with heat.

Slothy
10-13-2009, 11:47 AM
Cold weather is my thing. Back in high school, I once walked to the bus stop and stood outside waiting for it in weather that was -51C with the windchill. This is the point where I mention that I didn't have a hat, gloves, or even own a winter coat (still don't actually). Everyone else huddled for cover where they could find it but I toughed it out by the road.

Then there was the time I biked to Taekwondo in weather above 40C with humidity. Now I usually have no problem just taking the weather and not complaining about it, but I will admit that that nearly killed me.

Parker
10-13-2009, 12:03 PM
I don't look good in summer clothing, but I look reasonably acceptable in a nice coat and scarf and gloves so I prefer cold weather. I am great in hot weather as long as I have my wa-wa, but I look bad in t-shirt/shorts etc.

Marshall Banana
10-13-2009, 12:17 PM
I don't look good in summer clothing, but I look reasonably acceptable in a nice coat and scarf and gloves so I prefer cold weather. I am great in hot weather as long as I have my wa-wa, but I look bad in t-shirt/shorts etc.
I can't wait to get earmuffs!

Peegee
10-13-2009, 01:53 PM
You're in Englandland now. No need for that Imperial nonsense.

I go outside topless when there's snow on the ground.

rubah
10-13-2009, 03:41 PM
I would have a ready answer, but spring time will come and prove me a liar.

if I had my way, the temperature would be 75 during the day and 55-60 at night.

Vermachtnis
10-13-2009, 04:38 PM
I get the best and worse of all the seasons. It's really nice in the early spring/late fall. But that's only about a couple of days. I'll take extreme over extreme heat any day. Because you can always put clothes on, but after awhile you can't take anymore off. Also there's humidity which makes everything worse and sticky. Don't have to worry about that with the cold.

scrumpleberry
10-13-2009, 04:55 PM
As long as I have the right clothes, I'm fine with the cold. I love it!

I cannot wear appropriate summer clothes though lol so I just wind up being too hot and very huffy :[ I do love burning myself by spending too much time in a swimming pool on a really really hot day though.

Madame Adequate
10-13-2009, 06:08 PM

I'll be in my cold dead grave long before I let the Europeans win! :colbert:

The Summoner of Leviathan
10-13-2009, 08:49 PM
Cold weather is my thing. Back in high school, I once walked to the bus stop and stood outside waiting for it in weather that was -51C with the windchill. This is the point where I mention that I didn't have a hat, gloves, or even own a winter coat (still don't actually). Everyone else huddled for cover where they could find it but I toughed it out by the road.

Then there was the time I biked to Taekwondo in weather above 40C with humidity. Now I usually have no problem just taking the weather and not complaining about it, but I will admit that that nearly killed me.

Don't they normally cancel school buses when it is -40C? I know my end of the province did.

Tavrobel
10-13-2009, 09:27 PM
There is no temperature range for which I am unable to handle, as long as I have my jeans and a hoodie.

kikimm
10-13-2009, 09:37 PM
I'm not happy til it's like 85 degrees out. *nod*

Shauna
10-13-2009, 09:52 PM
I can cope well with both hot and cold weather. But, no matter what the weather's like, I will complain. :p I can never be happy.

Mogi
10-13-2009, 10:49 PM
It's been over 100 degrees fahrenheit for the last week.
x.x

I live in Florida and I hate the weather here.

Shlup
10-14-2009, 12:13 AM
If the temperature isn't between 75F and 82F, I cry.

Raistlin
10-14-2009, 03:15 AM
I can deal with cold weather, though I prefer it to be 60-70. I can deal with heat when I'm outside and active, but inside I need AC. I really hate humidity, though, which makes east coast summers rather horrific. I miss dry Colorado summers.

Levian
10-14-2009, 04:19 AM
Degrees means little where I'm from, it's that damned wind and rainy wet sludge that messes everything up and makes things freezing cold even at 0C. I deal better with extreme cold than extreme heat, but I prefer sunny weathers.

Slothy
10-14-2009, 04:23 AM
Don't they normally cancel school buses when it is -40C? I know my end of the province did.

They were supposed to cancel school in my district if the temperature hit -50C as far as I know. Obviously someone either wasn't on the ball or didn't take wind chill into account when they checked the weather that morning. I will whole heartedly admit that even though I toughed it out, it was with a great deal of pain and wishing that they had canceled school. Making anyone wait for a bus in those temperatures is literally inhuman.

Jiro
10-14-2009, 04:25 AM
I was fine with the cold while I was at the snow. -5C no worries. But anything under like 10C up here and I can't handle it. The heat is fine, I can cope in 45C weather pretty well. I've had to compete in 42C weather once, that was pretty tough.

Shoeberto
10-14-2009, 04:25 AM
Degrees means little where I'm from, it's that damned wind and rainy wet sludge that messes everything up and makes things freezing cold even at 0C. I deal better with extreme cold than extreme heat, but I prefer sunny weathers.
Samesies... wind at home can take moderate cold to being "OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE TO DESERVE THIS BITING CHILL THAT IS STEALING MY SOUL". Windchill haet.

What Allie said about ideal temperature is basically my thoughts. Cool but not freezing at night and warm but not hot at day just makes everything all-around pleasant :3

Araciel
10-14-2009, 04:36 AM
I can survive in -40 to 40 celsius if needs be, and I have before.. With the right clothing.

How much can I bear without crying?! Probably those extremes.

Iceglow
10-14-2009, 05:02 AM
I can cope in generally any kind of heat but then when it gets really, really hot unless I'm like wearing shorts which is something I hate to wear I get sweaty but I never complain it's too hot I just drink plenty and keep my suncream handy

Timekeeper
10-14-2009, 05:44 AM

I'll be in my cold dead grave long before I let the Europeans win! :colbert:

Win what? The Metric System is French and the English Imperial System is English.

rubah
10-14-2009, 06:10 AM
For some reason, sometimes Brits like to think that they are not a part of The Continent, and thus not quite as European.

The Space Pope
10-14-2009, 06:47 AM
I like my domicile to be roughly 4,200 degrees.

In Kelvin of course, 4,200 Celsius is just plain silly.

NorthernChaosGod
10-14-2009, 08:50 AM
What the hell, I think 60s are coooold. That is jacket weather for me.

Jess
10-14-2009, 09:31 PM
I like heat. I don't like cold, rain or snow.

the worst is when it rains lots and your feet and bottoms of trousers get wet and then you have cold soggy feet for the rest of the day. :mad:

NorthernChaosGod
10-15-2009, 02:42 AM
I usually wear boots in the rain, my pants bottoms don't get wet and my feet stay dry. =D

Jessweeee♪
10-15-2009, 04:44 AM
Below 70 is too cold, above is too hot. Sometimes I kinda like the cold, though.

Iceglow
10-15-2009, 11:27 AM
For some reason, sometimes Brits like to think that they are not a part of The Continent, and thus not quite as European.

Like to point out this...

The United Kingdom and Ireland are strangely enough Islands. A single cross ocean undersea rail connection which could with the right determination be severed by even a terrorist attack does not make us a part of a continent. Continents are by definition a single land mass wherein several countries/states may be contained. Europe is a continent but it does not include the British Isles. The fact that the components of the British Isles are a part of the European Union does not automatically mean the continent has extended and that Dover is directly connected to northern France. Pangea did not mystically reform there. We have for the most part refused the single European currency and will do so for many more years to come as far as I can see. We've refused more intergration with the EU and even today a major political rift in the democracy of the UK is our ties to the EU and their influence over everything in our country when well in excess of 60% of Britons feel that we are not a part of Europe but an independant nation.

Therefore not letting the EU win is a majorly important thing for most people in the UK.

Also, I remember once having to work in a metal tent with a canvas roof during a summer the heat outside was 30+ the heat inside was well in excess of 40+ and my boss asked me to go assist the frozen food dept at a temp of -25 I flat out refused to go do that one. She honestly expected me to change my exposure temp by 60 degrees Celcius.

Parker
10-15-2009, 11:48 AM
Debate in general chat.....someone ban this filth.!

Timekeeper
10-15-2009, 11:51 AM
On the Risk board it clearly states that Great Britain is part of Europe :colbert:

EDIT: Can someone please dispose of NorthernChaosGod my head hurt enough already.

rubah
10-15-2009, 03:41 PM

The United Kingdom and Ireland are strangely enough Islands. A single cross ocean undersea rail connection which could with the right determination be severed by even a terrorist attack does not make us a part of a continent. Continents are by definition a single land mass wherein several countries/states may be contained. Europe is a continent but it does not include the British Isles. The fact that the components of the British Isles are a part of the European Union does not automatically mean the continent has extended and that Dover is directly connected to northern France. Pangea did not mystically reform there. We have for the most part refused the single European currency and will do so for many more years to come as far as I can see. We've refused more intergration with the EU and even today a major political rift in the democracy of the UK is our ties to the EU and their influence over everything in our country when well in excess of 60% of Britons feel that we are not a part of Europe but an independant nation.

Therefore not letting the EU win is a majorly important thing for most people in the UK.

So you're trying to say that Madagascar is not associated with Africa, Japan is not asian, and Cuba, Hispaniola, etc etc etc are not part of the Americas.

aite, sure

Del Murder
10-15-2009, 07:12 PM
I'm not sure what temperature I like the best. Probably around 75-80. I never really pay attention to the number. I can stand any normal range of temperatures as long as they are consistent and gradual. What I don't like is when temperatures are constantly shifting. Cold one day hot the next day. It gives me headaches.

Jojee
10-16-2009, 12:16 AM
I'm so ultra terrible with cold weather. I get cold more than anyone else and I'm always complaining about it. xD

When it's nice and warm and sunny out and I take a walk my mood is automatically gets 10x better and I feel sooo good. When it's freezing and cold and dreary I get so depressed. D;<

75 - low 80s is ideal, with nice sun and a slight breeze, and not much humidity. Below 70 and I am sad monkey. :monkey: Below 60 and I'm very sad! Below freezing and I cryyyyy. Too bad it gets to -40s F in windchill in Wisconsin quite a few times during the winter. :p

Raistlin
10-16-2009, 03:09 AM
Jojo is the biggest cold-wimp I've ever met. It was ~70 in her apartment when I was there, and she was fully dressed with a heavy jacket on AND under a blanket... and she was still sometimes cold. :roll2

Shiny
10-16-2009, 06:19 AM
Anything under 65 is literally painful for me unless I've got a wool coat on than anything under 55.

Black people don't like cold weather. :monster:

ljkkjlcm9
10-16-2009, 06:55 AM
I can deal with whatever temperature I must. I prefer hot to cold I guess. But for me it's always quite simple. When it's hot, I want to be cooler, and when it's cold, I want to be warmer.
So, during the summer the air conditioning is set at like 65, but during the winter the heat is set at like 55.

55 feels like 80 when it's below freezing outside, and 65 feels like ice when it's over 90 degrees outside. It's all relative, but i'm comfortable anywhere between 50-70.

THE JACKEL

blackmage_nuke
10-16-2009, 06:55 AM
I can take pretty high heats as long as the sun isnt blaring down on me. I think thats more of a psychological illusion though.
I always put on more clothes when its cold so im not sure how much i can take as im usually never too cold.

Jojee
10-16-2009, 07:38 AM
Jojo is the biggest cold-wimp I've ever met. It was ~70 in her apartment when I was there, and she was fully dressed with a heavy jacket on AND under a blanket... and she was still sometimes cold. :roll2

It was 75. xD Which can be very cold sometimes, I mean if you don't have the sun shining on you at the same time and all. If I didn't have to pay for my heating bill, my apartment would be set at 78 all winter long~ :</>D As I do have to worry about the bill, it stays 73-75 nowadays, although sometimes I cheat and turn it higher when I'm really cold. xD My roommate last year liked it at 77!

NorthernChaosGod
10-16-2009, 07:45 AM
Man, I prefer the high 70s - low 80s, perfect weather.

It's getting too cold for my tastes now, I need to get a new coat.

Rodarian
10-16-2009, 07:01 PM
Because of humidity in this region, lets just say that the public B.O ain't something you'd like to smell everyday...Thankfully most of time I'm in the shade away from numbing heat...The only thing worse is when the power goes..Which happens quite frequently... 0_o

I miss my Canadian Winters!! T_T

Alex151
10-16-2009, 07:24 PM
My ideal day is cloudy low 60's F with a cool breaze. But that being said I prefer the cold over heat, so if it's not going to be my ideal day then I'd wish it to be in the 40's or so. I can't stand the heat. If I do anything remotely physical then I will be sweating instantly. Being a roofer as well I don't like being in the sun all day, or the heat for that matter.

Brennan
10-18-2009, 02:40 AM
Am I the only one who can withstand the weather whilst wearing shorts in the 30's-100's range?

Iceglow
10-19-2009, 03:51 AM

So you're trying to say that Madagascar is not associated with Africa, Japan is not asian, and Cuba, Hispaniola, etc etc etc are not part of the Americas.

aite, sure

The examples you give don't fully relate to the situation of GB and Europe, you liken individual nations based on geographical location to another whereas Europe and the British Isles is more political. The name Europe is used to describe the EU in news terms, the continent is simply used to describe the European continent sounds confusing I know, it is, it's meant to be so because we just love things to be complex. Europe (or simply the EU) is a international government which affects all it's member states legally speaking. Your examples are a bit like saying China rules all of Asia or that Mexico rules all of the Americas including the USA only not really, they have legal rulings and can overturn court decisions and control what laws a government can pass but the people of that nation are to believe that they have the freedom of will through democratic rights to control their nation when in reality if 60% of British people voted yes to bringing back the death penalty on a ballot someone from France, Germany, Belgium, Poland, Greece could say "No you don't" and thats the end of that no death penalty in England.

Whether or not we're a part of the continent is simple enough to answer, no we're not we're an island same as Madagascar is an island, same as Cuba is an island and Japan is a collection of islands. Whether or not we should be considered a part of Europe is what is at contention, Geographically we are close to the continent of Europe but no we're not part of the continent.

Like I said it's political so when an English person refers to not letting the Europeans have their way about things it's not as in us not being a part of the continent because thats obvious we're an island, islands by definition do not compose parts of continents they are islands. Island means land surrounded by ocean, technically if all of europe and asia was ruled as one country, that'd be an island too. Same goes for the Americas. It's actually about not letting someone from Georgia saying "Hey, you can't do that!" or someone from Belgium state English people must use the metric system even though that person from Belgium may not have ever been to England, might not ever come to England and is in no way affected by whether we use the metric or imperial system. That is why we don't like the EU in England and that is why we stubbornly refuse to leave pound sterling and other british cornerstones like the imperial system behind.

rubah
10-19-2009, 04:03 AM
I don't know why you keep referring to the EU. The tradition of Brits referring to themselves as separate from the Continent goes back far longer than a couple of decades.

Anyways, refusing to use metric because you don't like the french is kinda adolescent and cruel to your country's engineers and scientists.

Tavrobel
10-19-2009, 04:09 AM
Would you please listen to rubah, people? Torturing engineers is the last thing any of us need.

Iceglow
10-19-2009, 04:14 AM
I don't know why you keep referring to the EU. The tradition of Brits referring to themselves as separate from the Continent goes back far longer than a couple of decades.

Which is exactly what I explained....

is⋅land  /ˈaɪlənd/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ahy-luhnd]

–noun

1. a tract of land completely surrounded by water, and not large enough to be called a continent.
2. something resembling an island, esp. in being isolated or having little or no direct communication with others.
3. a raised platform with a counter or other work surface on top situated in the middle area of a room, esp. a kitchen, so as to permit access from all sides.
4. safety island.
5. a low concrete platform for gasoline pumps at an automotive service station.
6. a clump of woodland in a prairie.
7. an isolated hill.
8. Anatomy. an isolated portion of tissue differing in structure from the surrounding tissue.
9. Railroads. a platform or building between sets of tracks.

Again:

isle  /aɪl/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ahyl]

–noun

1. a small island.
2. any island.

Regardless of the Risk board and regardless of the ignorance of the rest of the world the name speaks for itself: we are Brits from the British Isles and Isles are not continents and not part of continents we're surrounded by water, so what if the ocean between Dover and Calais is like 50 miles or less and can be flown over in 20 mins or so. Back 500 years ago that'd be a 3 night voyage minimum.

The issues of today is the EU and that causes us Brits to react with even more stigmata about being part of the continent.

Gods above and below, what the hell do they teach you kids at school today? Japan is a part of the modern Asian society but no, they're not Asia in fact to be perfectly correct they're Oriental. :P Same as Cuba may be a part of South America by terms of sociological links of the modern world however Cuba is not a part of the Americas it is a small island bordering the Americas.

rubah
10-19-2009, 04:15 AM
If you ask Miriel, it's a crime to refer to asian people as oriental. I wouldn't want to cross her by doing that.

And geeze, I get three essays for the price of three tongue-in-cheek two liners. I think that's a good bargain

Psychotic
10-19-2009, 04:23 AM
Win what? The Metric System is French and the English Imperial System is English.Wait, the smurfing French invented the metric system? Are you sure? Jesus christ, we need to drop that :bou::bou::bou::bou: immediately. And to think I thought it was just the Americans acting out again like they like to with the whole "color" thing. Sorry, guys, I judged you harshly. I'll buy you a beer.

Also, I like the cold. :shobon:

Timekeeper
10-19-2009, 05:30 AM
Regardless of the Risk board

Oh sure, just knock back that key piece of evidence! :rolleyes2

I've actually forgotten the point of this argument, but I think the main problem here is that one half is arguing political and social boundaries and the other half is simply categorizing Britain into it's general geographical region. Just as Australia, New Zealand and several other islands are categorized into the region of Oceania/Australasia, Britain is part of the geographical region of Europe.
Oh yea, it was

So no, they aren't part of the European continent (or any other political affiliation that they don't want with Europe), but they are part of Europe, the region.

EDIT: Oh yea, the French went nuts during their revolutions. They even made decimal time, with clocks, calendars and the lot!