PDA

View Full Version : Uncharted 2

Bolivar
10-13-2009, 07:56 PM
I have to wait till 5 to pick it up and play it! I hope Gamestop doesn't do something shady like not have my pre-order in stock.

Anyway, the multiplayer has been insane and I'm interested on how expansive the full version is. Of course, it'd be ridiculous to not be most excited for the single player.

I mean damn.

Dreddz
10-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Oh hell yes. Doesn't come out here till Friday so Ill be avoiding this thread till then.

I'm expecting greatness.

Depression Moon
10-14-2009, 02:21 AM
I bought the game today and it is truly amazing. It plays just like some kind of action movie. The graphics are too gorgeous for my standard TV so I went blind at first. The single player transitions are great. I love the stealth, I wish there wre more opportunites for me to do them in battle.
I just made it to Chapter 8. Hey this game is great. Liking the story.

Gilghamut
10-14-2009, 04:02 AM
I'm seriously enjoying the game myself. I love how the chapters aren't as short as the first, and the dialogue is great as well as funny, and no forced humor. Loving the action, and the graphics are simply stunning. Probably the best looking game yet on the PS3 followed by Drake's Fortune and Killzone 2

Rocket Edge
10-14-2009, 11:34 PM
What's the multiplayer like?

Bolivar
10-15-2009, 01:40 AM
What's the multiplayer like?

Really good. I don't even want to compare it to Metal Gear Online or Gears of War because the movement is just so free flowing, it's really easy to get in and out of aiming, you can even run around someone, encircling them while you blind fire. What really differentiates it is that it's a really vertical game. You're always finding new stuff to climb (you can climb just about anything) and finding new areas to take position. Overall the controls are really tight.

All I'm going to say about the single player is that the reviews were right; this is probably one of the best action games ever made. The graphics were already incredible in the first one, but now it looks like they've added 6 or 7 extra layers of polish.

The game-play is crazy. The game just keeps bombarding you with new kinds of situations and combat styles. By the time you get back to the jungle-based combat of the first game, it's just so much more refined that you just lose your mind. The puzzle solving is also stepped up a couple knotches, it's not as obvious anymore but it's still intuitive and rewarding.

Story, not much to say, it's continuously immersive with tons of plot twists to keep you guessing. The voice acting goes without saying. It's clearly a contender for best performances of all time in a game.

With puzzle-solving, platforming, competent shooting, stealth, a roller-coaster story, not to mention a cohesive multiplayer expereince, this is video games at its finest.

Slothy
10-15-2009, 11:42 AM
I'm going to tentatively name Uncharted 2 my game of the year. The only other possible competition I can see it having is Modern Warfare 2 in my eyes. Not to say there aren't still some awesome games to come out this year, but finding anything this refined and polished, and more importantly, fun from start to finish will be pretty damn hard.

Depression Moon
10-15-2009, 02:35 PM
I'm on Chapter 22 I think now. There's some crazy unexpected stuff in here. Wish I could get a Wifi signal so I can level up farther than level 2. I noticed the farther you get ahead in the game the more it feels like a game. In the beginning and middle chapters the cutscenes were more frequent. I must sound stupid complaining for more cutscenes, but I just like more story. It's still one of the best games I've ever played.

Rocket Edge
10-15-2009, 02:49 PM
From what I've been hearing, I really need to get this game. Unfortunately, with T6 & MW2 coming out soon, I'll probably have to wait til' December, but I'll definitely be getting it.

JKTrix
10-15-2009, 10:08 PM
"There's a guy above you! There's a guy above you!"

"..."

"There's a guy below you. There's a guy below you."

Just got my copy from gamefly about an hour ago.

Bolivar
10-15-2009, 10:42 PM
"There's a guy above you! There's a guy above you!"

"..."

"There's a guy below you. There's a guy below you."

Just got my copy from gamefly about an hour ago.

lol that was amazing.

JKTrix
10-15-2009, 10:58 PM
I'm having issues with the jumping/climbing. Every time I go somewhere that I should be able to cling onto that the game doesn't let me, it just breaks the experience. There've been a couple of scattered instances already, but I just got to Borneo with Sully. There's a tree with treasure on it, but there isn't anything around it that I can jump onto and climb up on. Maybe it's something I can go back to, but it is frustrating to leave something I can see right in front of me.

Slothy
10-15-2009, 11:47 PM
You have to shoot that treasure down actually. There were a few instances where it seemed like you should be able to climb things but couldn't when I played through, but it only bothered me a bit because I played Assassin's Creed. I can see why they did it though; Uncharted 2 is still very much a linear experience and letting you climb anything even if it goes nowhere would just make things confusing for the player since it'd be harder to find where you need to go. It does break the immersion a bit, but there aren't many good ways around it in a game as detailed as Uncharted 2.

LunarWeaver
10-16-2009, 01:34 AM
So far loving it. The first game was wave after wave of enemies. It was good, but it got tiresome. This game feels more like there's an interesting context or cool environment and dialog during the action sequences. They don't feel as bland.

Into the acrobatics too. It's nice that he will only reach out his hand if there is something he can successfully jump to. If he does nothing that means he leaps to doom. I know that has been done before I love it all over again. I also like the hint system too. Can't find the ledge you're supposed to climb in the huge room? Just press up when Hint appears and it will show you where it is. It takes away a lot of tedium and running around. Though I try not to use it when I'm mid-puzzle in case it gives away too much.

I haven't dipped into the multiplayer but I will eventually. The co-op, anyway. I imagine a lot of people run and gun in circles around you and have mastered it. I don't even want to imagine death matches because I suck at them and there's always at minimum 2-3 people that are Gods at it. I love games that do co-op. The Beta was super fun so I know I'll get into it. Earning money to buy perks is a real motivator.

Overall, a nice mixture of elements and cool :bou::bou::bou::bou: is always happening. I couldn't even play Tomb Raider Underworld because it was so far behind. Other action/adventure games with acrobatics tossed in need to learn from this game.

Quindiana Jones
10-16-2009, 07:21 AM
I honestly didn't think that this game was going to be that good from the trailer. It looked like it was going to be another "we'll do everything" game that fails miserably on all accounts. But after reading your guys' reviews, I might give it a look.

When I have money, that is.

JKTrix
10-16-2009, 09:01 PM
The title screen image is flipped, I think. The statue is holding the dagger in the wrong hand.

Just finished it. My favourite parts (and now that I remember, my favourite parts of the first Uncharted) are when you are 'tomb raiding' the ancient structures. The designs of the temples and whatever are gorgeous.

Now that I know you're supposed to shoot down some of those treasures, I might go back and nab them.

Did have issues. The 'acrobatics' were great when they worked, but I've just been spoiled by many other games that are more free with their environments. Vivi mentioned Assassin's Creed, but there's also stuff like Mirror's Edge and Infamous. I understand the need to contain the levels, but there were a few places where I could not climb on something that I should be able to.

I think I caught the game off-guard sometimes when I turned around when they weren't expecting it. They had already loaded the level in front of me and started to unload the level behind me--but they were pretty quick to re-load the stuff I had already passed. Wasn't nearly as bad as Halo.

It's similar to Batman: Arkham Asylum in the way it takes a bunch of elements from other games and puts it into itself. I had more fun with Batman, but part of that is because I actually don't like Uncharted's characters that much. If I were to scale my personal pros and cons between Batman and Uncharted, they would probably be about equal.

I really enjoyed playing it on my TV with DTS surround. It certainly lives up to the presentation hype.

Depression Moon
10-17-2009, 03:52 AM
Did any of you take a look at some of the bonus features? Naughty Dog really put a lot into this. They put in almost every concept art they did for this game, all the original trailers, a bunch of behind the scenes stuff and a video demostrating what it's like to work for their company. I think I'll show this game to my animation and gaming class sometime next week.

JKTrix
10-17-2009, 03:55 AM
DM are you on now? Let's party up

Depression Moon
10-17-2009, 03:57 AM
Nah, I can't get a signal on my PS3 unfortunately. This connect i'm using now is too poor for my PS3 to keep me signed in. I usually scan for connection and that only works every once in a while.

JKTrix
10-17-2009, 04:00 AM
Oh, so you're using someone else's internet? That's kind of funny.

Depression Moon
10-17-2009, 04:02 AM
you know any tips on getting connect? My brother's Wii seems to not have any problems getting signals and I'm hungry for Uncharted 2.

JKTrix
10-17-2009, 04:06 AM
Get Your Own is probably the best idea :p then you can position the antenna any way you want (or even, preferably, stick a cable into your system). There's not a whole lot you can do if you're 'stealing' someone else's wifi.

Check your bro's wii, if it can connect right now (check the news or weather or shop channels), put your PS3 where his wii is and try again. If it can't, whoever you're piggybacking on probably put a password on it.

Depression Moon
10-17-2009, 04:08 AM
I tried putting it at the same place he did before. Didn't work. I guess I'm screwed.

Dreddz
10-17-2009, 10:14 AM
Got to Chapter 7 last night. Pretty good so far. Although I don't think the game really works as a stealth game. Maybe thats just me.

I plan to get into the multiplayer once I've finished the campaign. Which hopefully Ill blitz through today. It'll be good to get some co-op going with you guys.

Slothy
10-17-2009, 12:55 PM
Got to Chapter 7 last night. Pretty good so far. Although I don't think the game really works as a stealth game. Maybe thats just me.

That's probably because there are only a handful of places where you're supposed to use stealth, but I love the stealth system when you're expected to use it. Stealth in the first game was almost impossible so at least they made it work in this one, plus you usually get rewarded for stealth kills with additional weapons like grenades.

JKTrix
10-17-2009, 05:27 PM
Hey, I'm up for some Uncharted partying. Sooner rather than later because I only rented this game.

Some of the stealth stuff was kind of week. The act of stalking itself was fine, but there were a few instances where a guard's unconscious body was in *plain sight*, and other guards walked by as if it didn't exist. I noticed much later in the game that they would notice a dead body, though.

Maybe I should play again on a higher difficulty.

Slothy
10-17-2009, 05:51 PM
I'll have to add some of you to my friends list. Since I'm currently an unemployed bum I have plenty of time to play Uncharted 2 online when I'm not out job hunting.

JKTrix
10-17-2009, 06:09 PM
Here's an early example of one of those instances where there's a spot I'm sure I'm *supposed* to be able to climb, but can't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1mdor6Bt4I

I saw Dreddz pop online then offline right after I recorded that just now.

Dreddz
10-17-2009, 08:10 PM
I don't think it is a good idea for me to play till my family evacuate my living room. I tried playing with Jktrix and it was hard as hell trying to keep up with the game. Co-op does seem pretty neat though, and its definitely a lot harder than single player.

JKTrix
10-17-2009, 08:32 PM
I need to go eat some food :P be back in around an hour. Good games with Vivi and Dreddz. Co-op is *rough*

Edit: it would really help if we could communicate somehow. I have multiple 'microphones' for the PS3, but I'm guessing y'all don't. Is your computer near where you play your PS3? Do you have a microphone for your computer? Failing that, we could all just go into a chat room somewhere and type it out :P

Edit Edit: Actually, there's a chat room built-in to the PS3. If you have a USB keyboard with a long enough cable, that could work too. If we don't do voice communication.

Slothy
10-17-2009, 08:54 PM
I need to go eat some food :P be back in around an hour. Good games with Vivi and Dreddz. Co-op is *rough*

Edit: it would really help if we could communicate somehow. I have multiple 'microphones' for the PS3, but I'm guessing y'all don't. Is your computer near where you play your PS3? Do you have a microphone for your computer? Failing that, we could all just go into a chat room somewhere and type it out :P

Edit Edit: Actually, there's a chat room built-in to the PS3. If you have a USB keyboard with a long enough cable, that could work too. If we don't do voice communication.

Those were some fun games, even with moments where I apparently dropped about a hundred IQ points and rolled right off a cliff. :D I definitely enjoyed making it past level 5 on co-op though. Can't tell you the number of people I've been paired with who do nothing but run off on their own and die.

Unfortunately, my computer is about 50-70 feet from my PS3. I don't have a mic that really works with the PS3 either. I have the one that came with Warhawk and the old PS2 Socom mic (which I believe should work) but never really managed to get them working. I'll give it a shot tomorrow I guess and see if I can get one working. Unfortunately I don't have the cash to go out and buy a USB mic right now. My keyboard also isn't USB since it just came with an old computer and never got used until I moved out since we had one already so PS3 chat is out.

And about that video you posted, I've never run into anything that bad in game but I guess I just wasn't looking. I've seen plenty of ledges on walls that looked grabable but weren't, but nothing that blatantly wrong. I'd be tempted to say it's an error that slipped through testing myself.

LunarWeaver
10-17-2009, 09:11 PM
I beat it and the final lines of this game were hilarious.

I'm going multiplayer now. I have a mic but I rarely use it because random people aren't exactly nice. I'd probly use it with any of you. If anyone wants to bother to add me I'm NoctilucaPlus but I'm not very good at this game even on Easy. You'll end up saving me more than shooting and get pissed :desu: So beware if you ever do. I only ever do the co-op stuff too. I am the ultimate killjoy.

Depression Moon
10-18-2009, 12:00 AM
Yeah you have to be careful with the mics. I overheard a kid and another guy one time on multiplayer talking. The guy was asking the child what city he lioves, what school he goes to and what grade he lives in. The kid actually told him everything too and he was actually 13, which I would have thought he would've known better than that.

I messaged him and told him that wasn't too smart and he just sent me this. o:

Yeah the game's a lot more interesting with mics. multiplayer matches are boring without them and co-op objective is just plain epic and hard.

JKTrix
10-18-2009, 02:37 AM
Pardon my crunching. I haven't eaten all day :P I'm actually eating... Trix cereal

Dreddz
10-18-2009, 03:23 AM
Yeah, using mics is kind of essential. I have a bluetooth one around here somewhere which Ill look for. I'm really digging the co-op missions, seeing as they are pretty long and have a decent challenge. The rest of the multiplayer seems pretty standard.

There is also something a little off with the controls which I can't place my finger on. Some of the platforming is a little awkward.

krissy
10-18-2009, 03:26 AM
There is also something a little off with the controls which I can't place my finger on.

aahahahahahahha

sorry thread, i'm done
continue

JKTrix
10-18-2009, 03:33 AM
The platforming *is* awkward. That's a complaint I had :P all those times both Dreddz and I fell to our death was because of weird jumps and stuff. I think the two of us collided in mid-air at one point and fell into a bottomles pit

LunarWeaver
10-18-2009, 05:16 AM
I've had my share of flailing about. Drake doesn't have much... snap to his movements. It all feels slippery or something. I couldn't think of a better word for it :(.

Slothy
10-18-2009, 11:58 AM
I had my first instance of accidentally hitting a button in years last night. Nothing like scratching an itch then accidentally hitting L2 while putting my hand back on the controller, blowing myself and one team mate up with a grenade at the start of a deathmatch round to get things off on the right foot.

Guy probably thought I was either an idiot or an ass and I wouldn't blame him in the slightest to be honest.

Depression Moon
10-18-2009, 07:43 PM
The platforming *is* awkward. That's a complaint I had :P all those times both Dreddz and I fell to our death was because of weird jumps and stuff. I think the two of us collided in mid-air at one point and fell into a bottomles pit

I don't know. I just think you guys sucjk no offense. I made it there no problem and watched y'all fall to your death twice. It look like you were trying to make jump all the way from the top to the bottom. and I had to kill all those guards by myself lol.

Dreddz
10-18-2009, 08:26 PM
Just finished the campaign. Stellar all round. Really have to give props to Naughty Dog for what they managed to pull off in this game. They are truly blurring the line between cinematics and gameplay. The very last interactive sequence in the game was absolutely outstanding. How they managed to get this game looking this good with no installation and have no loading screens whatsoever is beyond me. They put nearly every other developer to shame.

Highlight for me was probably the ice cavern. Not a particulary interesting chapter for most of the time but the scenerary just blew my mind.

LunarWeaver
10-18-2009, 08:45 PM
Man the co-op where you need to get the treasure from point A to point B is smurfing hard XD And long too. So far Objective is by far the most fun I've had. Need more money! Compulsion! The Fal is my favorite machine gun. Pressing in the right stick can give good headshot opportunities.

Slothy
10-19-2009, 12:51 PM
Man the co-op where you need to get the treasure from point A to point B is smurfing hard XD And long too. So far Objective is by far the most fun I've had. Need more money! Compulsion! The Fal is my favorite machine gun. Pressing in the right stick can give good headshot opportunities.

Gold Rush is hard. I can handle survival if I hole up somewhere where I can watch all of the entrances and have a quick escape route (making the Sanctuary my favourite for it), but I just can't seem to get past level 6 or 7 in Gold Rush. Even going along paths where enemies don't tend to go I find I'll run into someone with a shotgun or the Gau-19 by level 6 or so and then it's just a pain. It's even worse when my teammates are random dudes who insist on running off on their own rather than helping to cap the treasure.

And it seems that my lack of luck with explosives was continuing yesterday. As if blowing myself up with an RPG on the last round of a Survival game wasn't bad enough, a few games later my cat rubbed against the L2 button and made me throw a grenade at the wall in front of me. It's one thing to accidentally blow myself up, but now even my cat is out to get me.

Edge7
10-20-2009, 12:02 AM
Have yet to get this game. Definitely my number one most wanted (number two is Metroid Prime Trilogy). I played the multiplayer beta, and I was impressed. Can't wait. Sorry 'bout short choppy sentences. The enviroments look stunning, and I'm really excited about the stealth system (Sly and Metal Gear Solid are among my favorite game series). Also, Sully's one of my favorite video game characters, so that's one more reason to love this game.

Bolivar
10-20-2009, 11:40 PM
So what's the deal. Are we getting an EoFF game night in a private match or not?

Slothy
10-20-2009, 11:46 PM
I'd be up for that. Most nights or days work for me as long as I don't have prior plans.

Dreddz
10-21-2009, 09:17 PM
It would be good to get some matches going with a few of us. Now that I've beat the single player and played some more multiplayer I'm not half bad. At least compared to the people I've been playing with/against.

I'm surprised no-one is talking about the games machinima. I checked it out last night and there is a crazy amount of stuff to fiddle with. Seems like Naughty Dog really put a lot of effort into it and no-one really gives two :bou::bou::bou::bou:s.

LunarWeaver
10-21-2009, 10:30 PM
I just cannot get past level 6 in gold rush or survival :( Goddamnit.

Slothy
10-21-2009, 11:06 PM
I just cannot get past level 6 in gold rush or survival :( Goddamnit.

We'll have to team up for some Survival then. I've beaten it on the Sanctuary, The Plaza and almost beat the Lost City once. Only reason I lost that was that I accidentally blew myself up on level 10 on my teams last life early on and the other two couldn't hold it down and finish the round. Survival is surprisingly easy if you hole up somewhere and let the enemies come to you. Somewhere you can watch all entrances and escape quickly if need be is best, with the Sanctuary being the easiest of them for me so far. I'm fairly confident I could beat it by myself if I had to.

LunarWeaver
10-21-2009, 11:21 PM
:O! I played with 2 pretty decent people and we holed up in this house, but the lack of communication killed us. We all tried to kill whomever instead of each watching an exit for full protection. The competition for the most kills ended up ruining us. If we had headsets on we probably would have done it.

Other times someone dies and I rush in to save them and die too. You'd think I would learn to assess the situation first, clear out some enemies or recognize a lost cause when they're far away, but I never do. And other people do the same to me XD I need to wear my headset and just be like this time you ain't gonna make it folks, just forget about me.

I'll be on about 7 if you happen to be around. Any time I'm on you can invite me to anything that's co-op and I'll drop what I'm doing and hop in if you ever want to. I don't send out invites to anyone coz I'm afraid they'll be busy with deathmatches or something but I always accept them.

Slothy
10-21-2009, 11:41 PM
Other times someone dies and I rush in to save them and die too. You'd think I would learn to assess the situation first, clear out some enemies or recognize a lost cause when they're far away, but I never do. And other people do the same to me XD I need to wear my headset and just be like this time you ain't gonna make it folks, just forget about me.

That's usually what gets me too. On some of the levels I've gotten kind of used to what direction the enemies tend to come from and know of some fairly safe ways to get my butt across the map (on Sanctuary in particular), but other times I'll try and just get my butt handed to me. I've completely given up on trying to save someone if there completely on the other side of the map. Unless there are almost no enemies there's never enough time to get to them.

I'll be on about 7 if you happen to be around. Any time I'm on you can invite me to anything that's co-op and I'll drop what I'm doing and hop in if you ever want to. I don't send out invites to anyone coz I'm afraid they'll be busy with deathmatches or something but I always accept them.

I won't have time tonight though I'll probably manage to get some games in tomorrow and on the weekend. If I see you on I'll send an invite. I like all of the game modes but co-op is my favourite (not to mention the most lucrative when you win) so I'm more than happy to play it with someone I know.

Depression Moon
10-22-2009, 02:32 AM
I'm up for some too. Coo-op is hard on normal. I'm good on Easy.

You know you can check to see if they're in a match already.

I admit I fed up the rescuing part the last time I played. It was the village and I had the Gattler and I weas shooting the armor soldiers when both my teammates died. I should've just kept shooting until the soldiers died and then rescued them, but for some reason I thought I could just run up in the middle of the shooting and still save them. One shotgun fire and we lost the game.

Slothy
10-25-2009, 12:21 PM
So I proved that Gold Rush is not impossible yesterday; just almost impossible. There must have been some stars aligning or something because I ended up in the Lost City with a teammate that was really good, another that wasn't great but he stuck with me while I was carrying the treasure, and I found the routes that enemies almost completely avoid. You can cross most of the level underground and you won't see anyone, then use the stairs on each side of the level to get up to the higher parts since they never seem to go to the stairs either.

We were working so well together that when I turned a corner and saw a guy with the Gau-19 standing in front of me and ran back behind the wall like a coward they popped around the corner and killed him in about 15 seconds and we were moving again. I doubt I'll ever see team work like that again without getting a party from my friends list together.

Depression Moon
10-26-2009, 01:39 AM
I got a mic now, so we can communicate with each other a little better.

LunarWeaver
10-26-2009, 02:05 AM
I have yet to get past 6 on Gold Rush. I tried just now and it was a catastrophe :jess:

I hate when I'm playing objective and someone dies one time, whines, and then leaves the game. Jesus.