PDA

View Full Version : Chrono Cross Questions...

IXVI
10-14-2009, 06:33 AM
Ok, so as some of you may know, me and my girlfriend like to play alot of RPGs together. Especially SquareEnix/Final fantasy stuff. Anyways, getting to the point, I just ordered Chrono Cross and I wanted to know a few things:

1.Can you change your names in Chrono cross?

2.Is there still the option of putting in a 2nd player like there have been for FF4, FF5, FF3/6, FF9, etc. (For those of you who don't know this trick, or think i'm lying or hacking, just go to the Config./Configure/Configuration whatever you wanna call it and set what characters you want for the 1st and whatever characters the 2nd player wants.) I notice FF7 didn't have that, and Chrono trigger didn't either (unless there's something i'm not aware of..) So i'm hoping Chrono cross atleast has Multiplayer.

3.Are all 45 characters hard to get?

4.What are your guys's opinion on this game? (Those who HAVE played it.)

Shotgunnova
10-14-2009, 07:13 AM
1) Yes. You can rename characters when they're invited, and later, find a secret room in Viper Manor where this function can be done, too.

2) No. The game's 100% one-player-only.

3) There aren't too many that are "hard" to get -- most have relatively simple recruitment methods. It's just that there's so many available, and some can only be obtained on certain branch paths, that it seems more complicated than it really is. Getting some of the characters' Lv7 techs can be difficult, on the other hand...

4) It's wonderful, the music in particular. Toward the end the game kinda speeds up the pacing and shovels a bunch of info down the player's throat, but it's not horrible or anything. The other thing I see people complaining about is that most characters say the same thing, just in a different accent -- yet the same people who decry that don't realize the practice is done in nearly all RPGs (as someone who's transcribed scripts before, I can attest to this). Overall, it's one of the PSX's greatest treasures, but people who want it to be Chrono Trigger II end up being disappointed...but that's their own fault.

NorthernChaosGod
10-14-2009, 08:12 AM
I'll only answer the last two, since the first two have already been sufficiently answer.

No, none of the characters are hard to get; you will have to play through again on New Game+ though to get all of them. I know you will have to do at least one play through on NG+ but I don't remember if more is necessary. It's just exploring different paths.

And it's a very good game, it has wonderful music, a great story, and nice gameplay. You should enjoy it.

Elly
10-14-2009, 12:22 PM
to get every character you need to play the game three times... there comes a time when in Spriggs house you can pull in characters from previous playthroughs... by the third playthrough you can have every character, except for Lynx and Harle...

IXVI
10-14-2009, 03:17 PM
to get every character you need to play the game three times... there comes a time when in Spriggs house you can pull in characters from previous playthroughs... by the third playthrough you can have every character, except for Lynx and Harle...

Wait, I thought you could recruit Harle? if you turn in to Lynx or something...??

Kyros
10-14-2009, 05:12 PM
I'm pretty sure you can, but it's not like she's that great or anything =/

IXVI
10-14-2009, 05:36 PM
I'm pretty sure you can, but it's not like she's that great or anything =/

I'm a big collector so..YEAH SHE IS >;<..jk

Vermachtnis
10-14-2009, 06:19 PM
Well she joins automatically. Put she ain't permanent. There's a rumor of how you can keep her. But it's a rumor.

Elly
10-14-2009, 09:16 PM
Harle only joins your party while you control Lynx, you can't get her back through the rift in Sprigs house while you control Serge...

Del Murder
10-14-2009, 11:41 PM
Pretty sure there is a way to get Harle back if you beat the game during a New Game+ with her in the party (while you are Lynx). Start another New Game+ on that game and then I think you can get her when you get all your other characters back. Not 100% sure since it's been a while but I'm pretty sure I have a saved game at the end with her in my party.

Wolf Kanno
10-14-2009, 11:47 PM
Harle leaves your party for story purposes though. It wouldn't really make sense to have her back in your party when you fight the Final Dragon... That's why I'm not surprised you can't retrieve her.

Del Murder
10-15-2009, 04:54 PM
I looked it up and I'm pretty sure that if you do what I said above, and use the Chrono Cross or whatever after she leaves, then she'll be back.

Shotgunnova
10-16-2009, 10:50 AM
Yeah, you can "recruit" her through the ChronoCross/Temporal Vortex method, but her inclusion isn't story-related (of course) -- can't be two places at once! That's why she doesn't get any lines when party members chime in, including during the ending.

IXVI
10-16-2009, 05:00 PM
would you make out with harle? sorry, i felt like bein' dumb..

NorthernChaosGod
10-16-2009, 08:20 PM
I totally would. She's hot.