PDA

View Full Version : The Eternal Reading of Names Wrong

Forsaken Lover
10-20-2009, 06:57 AM
So I'm sure a lot of people here have seen it called the Lifa Tree but it is the Iifa Tree. I had that one covered. Then i just realized a couple days ago I've been calling it Deilvert when it's Oeilvert. As much as I play this game I'm pretty embarrassed I just realized this.

You ever had any similar experiences with FFIX's cooky names?

Kyros
10-20-2009, 07:12 AM
I've heard people pronounce Zidane like Zi-dahn-eh, which sounds retarded to me.

Wolf Kanno
10-20-2009, 08:23 AM
After playing Dissidia I was saddened to learn that I have been pronouncing his name incorrectly... I always thought it was Zee - Dane when its actually Zi - Don :(

Course its no where near as bad as my butchering of Ultimecia's name...

Quindiana Jones
10-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Zi-dahn. Gar-net. Vee-vee. Am-uh-ruhnt. Eye-ko. Queen-uh. Sty-ner. Fray-uh. I pronounce Oeilvert in French, because it sounds better that way and looks as if it should be said that way anyway.

Marky Tee
10-20-2009, 11:54 PM
i always thought zidanes was just the same as the footballers?

Skyblade
10-21-2009, 12:09 AM
Zi-dane is the only one I pronounced wrong, but, even after playing Dissidia, I still want to pronounce it that way (instead of Zi-dahn), because that's how it's spelled, dangit.

McLovin'
10-21-2009, 12:50 AM
Used to call him Zid-zan. :D

Vermachtnis
10-21-2009, 01:54 AM
I pronounce them Monkey butt, Big Head, Pinty hat, rusty, rat face, Quina, no pants, and crazy hair.

Depression Moon
10-21-2009, 02:54 AM
Zi-dahn Am-uh-ruhnt. Eye-ko.
These three just sound stupid. It could be that the english developers or the voice actors just pronounce them wrong, but even if they didn't I'm still going to pronounce them like everyone else does, because they just sound better.

Kyros
10-21-2009, 03:55 PM
those are right (pretty sure Eiko is supposed to be a long E though) but doesnt meant everyone pronounces them that way

Quindiana Jones
10-23-2009, 11:00 AM
English is a Germanic language in many respects, and as such "ei" has always been pronounced "eye" for me. Ee-ko sounds stupid to me. As done Zi-dayn. What a ridiculous way to say it.

And how can you not pronounce Amarant "Ah-muh-ruhnt", DM? I suppose this is the same "bastard" thing. English say "bah-stuhd" whereas many Americans say some variation of "bah-staaarrrrrrrrrd". xD How do you say Amarant?

Skyblade
10-23-2009, 04:40 PM
English is a Germanic language in many respects, and as such "ei" has always been pronounced "eye" for me. Ee-ko sounds stupid to me. As done Zi-dayn. What a ridiculous way to say it.

Funny, because in English, that is how "dane" is pronounced. Just like "thane", "lane", "cane", and every other word ending with "ane" in our language.

Dane  [deyn]
–noun
1. a native or inhabitant of Denmark.
2. a person of Danish descent.
3. Great Dane.
4. a male given name.

Dane is never pronounced "dahn" the way it is in Dissidia, not even when it is prefixed by "Zi".

Kyros
10-24-2009, 12:46 AM

And how can you not pronounce Amarant "Ah-muh-ruhnt", DM? I suppose this is the same "bastard" thing. English say "bah-stuhd" whereas many Americans say some variation of "bah-staaarrrrrrrrrd". xD How do you say Amarant?

Amarants name in Japan is Salamander :P I think its funny when they change names all together like this.