PDA

View Full Version : What kind of engineer should you be

rubah
10-21-2009, 05:13 PM
What kind of engineer should I be? - Hunch (http://www.hunch.com/engineer-types/)

I forgot all about this site xD Looks like some people took up where I left off in making this quiz, so take it xD

scrumpleberry
10-21-2009, 06:43 PM
Biomedical!

Vermachtnis
10-21-2009, 06:47 PM
Aerospace! Then Structural. Then Biomedical.

Del Murder
10-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Computer engineering followed by computer science.

Rodarian
10-21-2009, 07:05 PM
Biomedical?! Hmm I don't think the quiz realizes that sometimes leave a DNA markers on my bedsheets!:rolleyes2

Yar
10-21-2009, 07:08 PM
Civil Ingèniuer, biomedical then Computer science

rubah
10-21-2009, 07:15 PM
I"m proud of you guys; no "not an engineer"s yet :D

Agrias
10-21-2009, 07:25 PM
Aerospace Engineer!!!

Meat Puppet
10-21-2009, 07:33 PM
doctorate in thugology

Jessweeee♪
10-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Electric!

demondude
10-21-2009, 07:48 PM
Biomedical

The Space Pope
10-21-2009, 08:23 PM
Choo-choo!

Aerith's Knight
10-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Computer Engineering, but there isn't Physics in there, so it shouldn't count! :'(

Mogi
10-21-2009, 09:07 PM
Computer O:

Denmark
10-21-2009, 09:15 PM
Physics is not engineering, AK, hence its exclusion.

Electrical, Computer Science, Computer Engineering. CompE should be before CompSci at the very least and probably before EE.

Freya
10-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Computer but I don't like math sooooo I doubt any engineering would be good for me.

Tavrobel
10-21-2009, 10:16 PM

I think he's trying to say that unless there is a form of or practice of Physics in the field, it can't be considered a form of Engineering.

According to the chart, I should be an Industrial Engineer, a Biomedical Engineer, or a Petroleum Engineer. I would have to say that based on my choice of majors, this is not entirely inaccurate.

blackmage_nuke
10-21-2009, 10:21 PM
Im studying to become a computer engineer at the moment, but the site said i should be a petroleum engineer.

Madonna
10-21-2009, 10:35 PM
If you skip everything, you get computer science!

Denmark
10-21-2009, 10:43 PM
There is physics in Computer Engineering, but not Computer Science. CompE = hardware = computer applications of EE = physics.

Momiji
10-21-2009, 11:01 PM
Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering.

pfffff hahahahahaha, right, right.

NorthernChaosGod
10-22-2009, 12:29 AM
Aerospace, then computer, then electrical.

ljkkjlcm9
10-22-2009, 02:47 AM
Aerospace, structural, computer...

of course when I did study engineering for 3 years, it was Aerospace, but then i realized... I don't want to be an engineer that much.

So now, I'm Human Development lol

THE JACKAL

Moon Rabbits
10-22-2009, 06:46 AM
Computer engineer / computer science / biomedical engineer.

Too bad I'm going into Socio/Anthropology.

Aerith's Knight
10-22-2009, 11:42 AM

Then why do I get to put Ing. (Eng. or Engineer in English) before my name after my BSc in Physics?

And to clarify, a BSc doesn't just give you lectures in physics. I was taught Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Programming and Mechanical Engineering. Because you need all of them to actually build an experiment.

Madame Adequate
10-22-2009, 12:54 PM
Aerospace fgj.

Then Computer science, then Structural Engineering.

Quindiana Jones
10-22-2009, 01:54 PM
Computer, Electronic and Electrical.

Breine
10-22-2009, 02:00 PM
Aerospace. Then biomedical and structural.

AeroSPACE!

Ramza Beoulve
10-22-2009, 02:22 PM
1. Computer Engineer + 2. Electronic Engineer + 3. Mechanic Engineer = Mechatronics Engineer, actually my current career. (Also, Industrial Engineering as Wild Card)

Awesome :p

Quindiana Jones
10-22-2009, 06:56 PM
Haha that's amazing Ramza.

rubah
10-22-2009, 09:43 PM

Then why do I get to put Ing. (Eng. or Engineer in English) before my name after my BSc in Physics?

And to clarify, a BSc doesn't just give you lectures in physics. I was taught Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Programming and Mechanical Engineering. Because you need all of them to actually build an experiment.

Well, I'm going to chalk it up to international standards. In the US you have to take the FE and PE exams (fundamental of engineering, professional engineering) before you can call yourself Engineer.

The Summoner of Leviathan
10-23-2009, 04:46 AM
Computer, Material Science, and Petroleum. Wild Card: Structural.

Aerith's Knight
10-23-2009, 07:22 AM

Well, I'm going to chalk it up to international standards. In the US you have to take the FE and PE exams (fundamental of engineering, professional engineering) before you can call yourself Engineer.

That sounds strange, as engineering is such an enormously wide concept, how could you on earth make a standartized exam for it. It's not like a Mechanical Engineer knows the same as a Biomechanical Engineer. Unless that exam is so basic (skill-wise) that they both know it already.

But I've had exams in EE, ME, and the such, so perhaps it was just inserted into my curriculum.

But you've made me curious, how do you define the rest of the sciences (Physics, math, chem majors) if not as Engineer?

Quindiana Jones
10-23-2009, 10:07 AM
Scientist and Mathematician? :bigsmile:

rubah
10-23-2009, 05:14 PM

That sounds strange, as engineering is such an enormously wide concept, how could you on earth make a standartized exam for it. It's not like a Mechanical Engineer knows the same as a Biomechanical Engineer. Unless that exam is so basic (skill-wise) that they both know it already.

But I've had exams in EE, ME, and the such, so perhaps it was just inserted into my curriculum.

But you've made me curious, how do you define the rest of the sciences (Physics, math, chem majors) if not as Engineer?

Scientists.

More on the FE: Fundamentals Exams - NCEES (http://www.ncees.org/exams/fundamentals/)

It's definitely not a basic test. My senior friends have been drilling away at review sessions and packets. Some of the stuff they haven't even thought about since freshman year xD Anyways, eight hours of ._. Supposedly they pass the top 40-60%, regardless of how they score, so I plan to take it with a bunch of dunderheads :}

Blue Harvest
10-23-2009, 08:26 PM
Computer science, electrical engineering, compiter engineering. And structural engineering as a wildcard.

Aerith's Knight
10-23-2009, 10:19 PM

Scientists.

More on the FE: Fundamentals Exams - NCEES (http://www.ncees.org/exams/fundamentals/)

It's definitely not a basic test. My senior friends have been drilling away at review sessions and packets. Some of the stuff they haven't even thought about since freshman year xD Anyways, eight hours of ._. Supposedly they pass the top 40-60%, regardless of how they score, so I plan to take it with a bunch of dunderheads :}

Ah, as such. Well, I guess such a term would be more correct for research scholars (that was what I was called on my visa application form last time).

The FE almost sounds like a bar exam for lawyers. Sounds awful. But then again, in the final 6 months I'm in now, I have to work on a research project, such as can be found in business and such, to see if I measure up to work in a research enviroment. Maybe it's the exam form of that, a combination of everything you've learned.

Shiny
10-24-2009, 10:48 PM
Computer Engineering (also called Electronic and Computer Engineering or Computer Systems Engineering) is a discipline that combines both Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. Computer engineers usually have training in electrical engineering, software design and hardware-software integration instead of only software engineering or electrical engineering.

If I became a computer engineer, I'd make sure not to give Pro Tools 50 different preferences.

black orb
10-24-2009, 10:56 PM
>>> A good for nothing engineer.
in other words I got the "you are not be suited to engineering"..

Christmas
10-25-2009, 01:05 AM
I pressed "Skip this question" for EVERY question and I still got Computer Science. Funny stuff. :bigsmile:

Jiro
10-25-2009, 01:20 AM
Computer Engineering / Biomedical Engineering / Computer Science
Wild card - Structural Engineering

I should count myself lucky that it thinks I'm fit to be any kind of engineer.