PDA

View Full Version : A Tale of Two Clouds: the Cloud Strife/Cloud of Darkness dilemma

SuperMillionaire
10-23-2009, 03:17 PM
I can rip through your darkness. - Mr. Strife to the Cloud of Darkness
You dare face me with a clouded heart? - the Cloud of Darkness to Mr. Strife

Since there are two "Clouds" in the game, we need to refer to them differently. I notice that they don't mention surnames as often in the English version as they do in the Japanese version, tending to assume that simply mentioning "Cloud" refers to Mr. Strife. What do we call Mr. Strife when both he and the Cloud of Darkness are present at once? Perhaps "the other Cloud?" Have any of you guys noticed this dilemma?

FaithWontFall
10-23-2009, 04:19 PM
Im not far enough to have noticed that problem.
I think Mr. Strife as you call him should be refered to as Cloud and the Cloud of Darkness as Strife seeing as Strife is more negative and can be better associated with the Darkness guy. :)
Clouds an all round good name, who doesnt like clouds? So therefore good Cloud just gets called that.

SuperMillionaire
10-23-2009, 04:50 PM
Well, white clouds, at least...

Wolf Kanno
10-23-2009, 05:26 PM
Most people refer to Cloud Strife as simply Cloud while Cloud of Darkness is referred to its initials as CoD. Not too difficult to remember :cool:

SuperMillionaire
10-24-2009, 05:35 AM
Aha, yes, to contrast the Final Fantasy VII hero and the Final Fantasy III villain, "Cloud" refers to Mr. Strife, while "the C of D" is an initialization of the title of the Cloud of Darkness.