PDA

View Full Version : 2010 RPG Avalanche

JKTrix
10-26-2009, 04:13 AM
Was just browsing some release lists for various systems, and I noticed that there are a *lot* of rather high-profile RPGs potentially coming out next year. If I had a little more time I would provide more information on each of them, but I think just a list will show.

I'll start with the obvious heavy hitters, and those most related to this site. Final Fantasy 13 (PS360), Final Fantasy 14 (PC...?), Final Fantasy Gaiden (DS), Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (PSP), Dragon Quest 6 (DS) and Dragon Quest 9 (DS) are ALL supposed to come out next year. That alone would likely be enough for an RPG fan to blindly declare 2010 as 'the year of the RPG'. But there's more.

Some of these don't yet have release dates and might not actually come out next year, and some of these have not even been announced for international release
Click the platform to expand

Mass Effect 2
Fallout New Vegas
Alpha Protocol
Star Wars: The Old Republic
Guild Wars 2
Diablo 3

Alpha Protocol
Resonance of Fate
Ar Tonelico 3
Last Rebellion
Atelier Rorona
White Knight Chronicles

Mass Effect 2
Alpha Protocol
Resonance of Fate
Fable 3

Sakura Wars (Wii/PS2)
Shiren the Wanderer (Wii)
Tales of Graces (Wii)
Arc Rise Fantasia (Wii)

Valkyria Chronicles 2
Phantasy Star Portable 2
Ys 7
The Last Ranker
Lunar: Silver Star Harmony
Persona 3 Portable
Princess Antiphona's Hymn
.hack//Link

Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver
Golden Sun 3
Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey
7th Dragon
Sands of Destruction
Infinite Space
Shining Force Feather
Ninokuni: The Another World

My personal 'top' list: Mass Effect, Dragon Quests 6/9, Old Republic, Sakura Wars, Shiren the Wanderer, Golden Sun, SMT Strange Journey, 7th Dragon, Kingdom Hearts. 12 games that I would likely buy blind (if I could afford it), plus a bunch more that interest me enough to buy if I were rich. And this is just RPGs (mostly Japanese), there are lots of other games in other genres coming next year that I also want.

Tough time to be out of a job.

Mirage
10-26-2009, 04:23 AM
FF14 is gonna be out on PS3 too.

Bolivar
10-26-2009, 04:35 AM
Right now White Knight Chronicles is my top game, have to see how XIII's battle system turns out, and I might be into Dragon Quest VI and IX depending on if I get V anytime soon, probably not.

But I'll probably still be playing Demon's souls and Dragon Age Origins to bother with any of this.

Vermachtnis
10-26-2009, 04:46 AM
The DS is looking great. Strange Journey, HeartGold, Sands of Destruction, and Golden Sun 3. I'm also looking forward to .Hack//Link, Ar Tonelico 3, Persona 3 PSP, and Sakura Wars on the others.

Psychotic
10-26-2009, 05:17 AM
Fallout: New Vegas is also for the PS360 and that is going to be my pick of the bunch. Mass Effect 2 is also drool-enducing.

Markus. D
10-26-2009, 05:20 AM
Guild Wars 2, P3P and Diablo 3 are at the top of my list.

... but Diablo 3 is probably going to be 2011...

Jessweeee♪
10-26-2009, 05:27 AM
P3P :</>D!

If I can ever afford the other games on my list ;_;

Skyblade
10-26-2009, 05:44 AM
Just wondering why the long wait...

And is there actual confirmation of the 2010 release of Golden Sun DS? It vanished after E3, and I can't find any other news on it.

Dreddz
10-26-2009, 12:39 PM
At the moment I'm planning to buy White Knight Chronicles, FFXIII and Valkyria Chronicles 2. There is also Deus Ex 3 which has been one of my most anticipated releases since it was announced. Unfortunately there is little to no info on that game and I'm almost starting to think its going to be cancelled soon.

Loony BoB
10-26-2009, 01:33 PM
I'm playing Lost Odyssey at the moment and I wish Mistwalker were putting another home console game out soon. :( Sadly, it's just a DS Blue Dragon thing.

More than likely I'll be getting...
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIV
Mass Effect 2
Fable 3

If FFXIII Vs. gets good reviews I might buy a PS3 and get into that, too.

Jiro
10-26-2009, 02:46 PM
Oh good grief. Hopefully I'll have a job by then. I don't even want to go and count how many of those games I borderline need to have.

black orb
10-26-2009, 06:07 PM
>>> PS3 + FF13, I hope I can get something like that the next year..

I was also hoping to see the PSP "Tales of Rebirth" arround here but it looks like fate still conspiring against me..:mad:

tidus_rox
10-27-2009, 03:09 AM
You forgot Nostalgia for the DS :)
I was HOPING Demon's Souls would tide me over for a bit... until the next good game comes out (already finished Uncharted 2). Too bad I am too NOOB to even beat any of it... ugh it is so frustrating! haha! I am not giving up yet, though! :)

Slothy
10-27-2009, 11:30 AM
At the moment I'm planning to buy White Knight Chronicles, FFXIII and Valkyria Chronicles 2. There is also Deus Ex 3 which has been one of my most anticipated releases since it was announced. Unfortunately there is little to no info on that game and I'm almost starting to think its going to be cancelled soon.

This reflects my thoughts fairly accurately. I'll eventually get Mass Effect 2, but I'll probably wait until it's $15 or so. If I had spent more than that on the first game I would have felt ripped off to be honest.

And I'm really hoping that FFXIII surprises me and is really good because from what I've been seeing in videos so far the characters and voice acting seem pretty meh. The combat looks like it might be interesting though. I honestly can't say anything about the story since I've been avoiding knowing too much about it, but I've definitely been very put off by the voice acting so far. At this point I've been pretty spoiled by games like Uncharted, Half-Life 2, and more where the voice acting doesn't sound like a half-assed after thought.

*Devore*
10-27-2009, 02:15 PM
Some many great looking RPG's. Its too bad that I don't have a PS3 or FFXIV would be at the top of my list. I'll just have to be satisfied with old republic, Sakura Wars, Tales of Grace, Phantasy Star Portable and .hack//links. :]

Madame Adequate
10-27-2009, 02:29 PM
Mass Effect 2, New Vegas, and FFXIII are all high on my list of needs.

Loony BoB
10-27-2009, 02:30 PM
I've just read yesterday evening that Mistwalker do have something 'big' on the go and it's in it's "final stages". They're keeping everything under wraps, though... Sakaguchi has said in his blog about the project...

I am working hard on a new project.
Now we just started going into the final phase of the production.
No matter what, I will make it really good....

I can't access the other articles that relate to it from work but yay for new games from Mistwalker. =]

JKTrix
10-27-2009, 03:21 PM
You forgot Nostalgia for the DS :)
I was HOPING Demon's Souls would tide me over for a bit... until the next good game comes out (already finished Uncharted 2). Too bad I am too NOOB to even beat any of it... ugh it is so frustrating! haha! I am not giving up yet, though! :)

Nostalgia is already out. This is about 2010.

How far are you in it? Still struggling against the first boss (if you even got that far)?

If you have gotten to the first boss and you're not a magic user already, use the 'Turpentine' you get from some of the enemies to enchant your weapon. Even with the shields, those beasts are quite weak to it.

Things to look out for if you don't have 'em already: the Thief's Ring (makes you harder to detect) and Cling Ring (gives you 75% health instead of 50%) can both be found before the first real boss.

I love me some Demon's Souls.

Nifleheim7
10-28-2009, 02:35 PM
Indeed,there are lots of JRPG's coming out next year.But i think i'll wait for their prices to drop,at least for the majority of them since i already have a quite big backlog of games to play/beat and there are also many games from other genres that are higher in my priority list:/

However i'll buy (day 1) the following:
3D Dot Game Heroes
Valkyria Chronicles 2
Ninokuni (if it gets localized)

Rocket Edge
10-28-2009, 03:25 PM
FFXIII
FFXIV
White Knight Chronicles

Those are the only three for definite. I'll have to look into other RPG's further before making my decision to purchase.