PDA

View Full Version : The Ballad of Gay Tony

Psychotic
10-29-2009, 03:03 PM
It's coming out today! If you don't know what it is, it's the latest episodic DLC for GTA IV...a full 18 months after the game came out. gj Rockstar.

The original IV was decent enough, but was kind of pap if you compared it to the sublime Saints Row 2. However, The Lost and the Damned came out and it was fantastic and fixed a lot of :bou::bou::bou::bou: that was wrong with IV in the first place, and so I expect Gay Tony to be mind-blowingly awesome. As satchel charges and parachute jumps are making a comeback, I think my expectations will be realised.

Plus, you can't go wrong with camp!

Downloading it now. :excited:

Formalhaut
10-29-2009, 03:30 PM
How could you say the main game IV was decent! It was incredible! Critics loved the game. Gamespot gave it a 10, I loved it. What was so wrong with it?

Moving on, I do like the various episodes. Unfortunatly, I don't have a 360, so I can't play it :(

Psychotic
10-29-2009, 03:41 PM
The main problem with it was that a lot of the missions were linear and couldn't be solved in additional ways, like in GTAs of the past. The worst thing about that was that in nearly all the car chases, enemy cars were invulnerable up to a certain point which was completely smurfing ridiculous imho. I also simply did not care about the story halfway through. Roman, Jacob, Brucie, all of those missions were great and the characters were fun. Then you start working for Francis and Phil and whatnot and I just uggggh. Oh, and the soundtrack was the worst in GTA history.

Plus if you've ever played SR2, you'll know that co-op, ridiculously customisable characters and vehicles, and a metric ton of different weapons are what every sandbox crime game needs. That's not to say IV was terrible, it wasn't. But it's a solid 8/10 kind of game rather than a perfect 10.

TLAD had a better story, fixed the stupid broken chases, added some very decent songs, had some absolutely sick weapons (lookin' at you, grenade launcher!) and driving around on a bike was just damned rad as hell.

Markus. D
10-29-2009, 09:44 PM
Yummmm moar GTAIV.

Psychotic
10-29-2009, 09:52 PM
Seems decent so far. A lot of shooting and a man can't complain about that.

At one club, I got drunk off my arse, fell down the stairs and knocked two girls with me, all in a hilarious ragdoll ball. I think I killed one of them. At the other one, I walked in with an automatic shotgun and let rip. There was a stampede for the door (which was where I was opening fire from) and the game even lagged because so many people were charging at me to escape. It was glorious.

JKTrix
10-30-2009, 01:11 AM
Apparently the disc-based version features an entirely new radio station that the DL ver. does not?

Meat Puppet
10-30-2009, 07:14 AM
God damn it I want this. Unfortunately, because of Microsoft’s buggered MS point system, I have to buy U.S MS points off of eBay. Wouldn’t be as much as a problem, but PayPal is taking irregularly long to process my transfer and now it’s the weekend and I gotta wait until working days again and I am sad.

(and in case you were wondering: Yes, it is grotesquely small. One time, a girl jumped out of a window as soon as she saw it.)

Madame Adequate
10-30-2009, 10:35 AM
Getting this :bou::bou::bou::bou: as soon as Rye finishes whatever she needs to do online.

If class wasn't about one of the two most important books in my entire degree subject (Clausewitz's On War) I would be certain to skip it.

Shattered Dreamer
10-30-2009, 02:22 PM
I wonder do Rockstar have any plans to release this & the Lost & Damned on PS3?

Psychotic
10-30-2009, 03:56 PM
No. Microsoft paid a truckload of money to make it exclusive. Wouldn't surprise me if there was more DLC in the works for both consoles, though, but TLAD and TBOGT are 360 only.

Mind you, the Fallout 3 DLC was supposed to be a 360 exclusive too.

Shattered Dreamer
10-30-2009, 04:25 PM
No. Microsoft paid a truckload of money to make it exclusive. Wouldn't surprise me if there was more DLC in the works for both consoles, though, but TLAD and TBOGT are 360 only.

Well I suppose I can live & hope but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Madame Adequate
10-30-2009, 04:27 PM
Downloaded it this morning. I will be playing it this evening :jess:

Psychotic
10-31-2009, 03:32 PM
Beat it last night. Cracking stuff. Yusuf Amir is a god damn badman hero legend forever.

This DLC reminded me of a hybrid between Vice City and San Andreas. The glitz and the glamour combined with completely over-the-fucking-top missions and weapons. It seems to me that everyone thinks their problems can be solved by Luis and satchel charges!

Was also nice that it had a happy ending, unlike IV and TLAD which were both depressing. I also like how each man has killed someone that another hates:

Niko killed Ray, who tortured Johnny and Jim.
Johnny killed Evan, who Luis hated because he was a prick dragging Tony down
Luis killed Bulgarin, who fucked Niko's :bou::bou::bou::bou: up for him

Was good to finally get revenge on that last one!

I think IV would have been ridiculously sick if they'd cut Niko's story down (remove Pegorino, Playboy X, etc.) and replace that time with the two DLC story arcs. I much prefer these shorter bitesize sections, I think.

Rye
10-31-2009, 03:59 PM
Gay Tony is much better than regular IV!

I'm stuck on the helicoptor mission at the start. It SUCKS. :mad2:

Psychotic
10-31-2009, 05:22 PM
Watch Princess Robot Bubblegum on the TV. It is brilliant and rips anime faggotry to pieces. I love it.

Shiny
11-01-2009, 02:52 AM
Really? I thought TLAD paled in comparison to GTA IV. It had a pretty predictable storyline. I'm hoping The Ballad of Fat Tony won't be as short as TLAD was.

Madame Adequate
11-01-2009, 01:21 PM
Really? I thought TLAD paled in comparison to GTA IV.

You thought wrong.

Momiji
11-01-2009, 02:10 PM
Watch Princess Robot Bubblegum on the TV.

*watches on YouTube*

anime faggotry

Merchandising!

Psychotic
11-01-2009, 05:34 PM
Really? I thought TLAD paled in comparison to GTA IV. It had a pretty predictable storyline. I'm hoping The Ballad of Fat Tony won't be as short as TLAD was.It is as short as TLAD.

But then I think GTA IV would've been the business if they'd cut Niko's story down some (bye bye Pegorino, Playboy, and all the other useless twats I don't give a smurf about) and replace them with TLAD and TBoGT. I like these shorter, episodic things better. I mean, Jacob, Roman and Brucie are supposed to be Niko's best friends but you pretty much never see them again for the rest of the game apart from the odd mission unless you want to go on man-dates. Hell, same with Dimitri. He's the big bad and he disappears off the face of the Earth for three quarters of the game. Compare that with TLAD and Ballad, the bikers and Tony were a presence throughout and the storyline is better for it.

Madame Adequate
11-01-2009, 06:40 PM
Agreed completely with you Paul. Packie and his lot were great but otherwise, most of the business after Broker and Dukes is a bit hollow. And I have my own issues with the denoument of the game which are seperate from that complaint.

Iceglow
11-01-2009, 07:34 PM

Microsoft paid for a time delay not a golden handcuffs afaik also the game of the year edition is the only way the ps3 is getting the dlc and if you think about the legal side of it theres probably someway of them arguing that fallout 3 game of the year is a different game entirely from fallout 3.

Rye
11-01-2009, 09:47 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-RAB MONNEEYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Meat Puppet
11-02-2009, 12:17 AM
YAY an AA-12 with explosive rounds. Something else I would going to write but I forgot. 2nd dominican protagonist. Umm... god damn it, I really can’t remember.

Yeah, the exclusivity of the DLC to the Xbox 360 is only as exclusive as III, Vice City, and San Andreas were to the PS2

Shiny
11-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Hahahah, Yusef is my favorite so far. I also noticed how the beginning missions are a lot harder than the other games. Dayum.