PDA

View Full Version : Up (spoiler)

Boosk
10-29-2009, 11:20 PM
I saw Pixars 'UP' last week and I have to admit it made me weep. Not just cry; sob my heart out. It's such a beautiful story about love, loss and new friendship. I started crying right at the start when Mr. Fredrickson meets Ellie as kids, then none stop from there (I think everyone in the cinema heard me cry out, sobbing when he opens the book near the end and sees Ellie had added all those photos and written a messgae "start your own adventure"...) It's got everything you need in a film; comedy, tears, things for the kids, things for the adults!! Perfect film, in every way!!

Anyone else had this reaction?

smittenkitten
10-30-2009, 12:25 AM
Actually for the first time I didn't cry... I was like wtf why am I not crying? I really enjoyed the movie though I do not think it was amazing but I will give it 6/10. Well worth watching and it will give you some laughs. I think I didn't cry because I cried the day before to Lady and the Tramp when poor Trusty gets knocked over by the carriage... :whimper:

Madame Adequate
10-30-2009, 10:32 AM
Rye and I both cried like children whose candy had been stolen and then a man said he would give us candy if we went with him but we went with him somewhere and there was no candy only photography and it was cold :(

Quindiana Jones
10-30-2009, 10:37 AM
I don't think any other member here knows the sound of a kidnapped child crying, MILF. O_O

Boosk
10-30-2009, 10:48 AM
i think I even cried a little after I got home...

Rye
10-30-2009, 10:54 AM
I could not stop crying.

Favorite Disney movie? Possibly.

Favorite Pixar movie? Definitely so.

I love how they handled having an older gentleman as a hero. It was so respectful and wonderful. I love how they also dealt with the issues of integrity at the end of life and looking back to find your life having been full of meaning. Someone writing the story likes Erikson!

They also managed really adult issues (blood in Disney? I gasped) really well. Kudos.

Also, it was just a hilarious movie.

VexNet
10-30-2009, 02:31 PM
as Nathan Fillion says:
"Robot test #12. Go see Pixar's UP. If your date doesn't cry, robot."

The trailer for the movie was epic!

I think my problem with UP was that I went in with too high expectations, so I didn't enjoy it as much as I wanted to.

I adored the really funny scenes in the movie where it was just the old man, the boy and/or the dog who talks. Those three together made the movie very enjoyable, xD
and the emotional scenes for him and ellie were VERY well written and put together, the start and end are perfect examples of brilliant storytelling for him and his soul mate. <3

but I really disliked all the action scenes (seemed like it was made to be converted for the video game) and the really bad gags (like the dog with a high voice) but I guess those are made for the younger kids? D=

the two old man fight at the end would of been so much better if it wasn't so action-based either, when they both held up their weapons up in the air and the back clicks was very funny, if they made the whole scene about how it's OLD men fighting, I think that it would of been much more enjoyabale ^^; but that's just me~ xD

Shlup
01-25-2010, 03:06 AM
I finally caved and watched it.

And I will never, ever do so again. Hrumph!

LunarWeaver
01-25-2010, 03:19 AM
I thought the movie was cute, but I didn't come anywhere close to crying. I always wanted to be a robot, and now I am, it seems. World domination forthcoming.

TheAbominatrix
01-25-2010, 03:42 AM
Good movie, not at all my favorite Pixar but I wept during a good portion of the beginning. My fiancee took me to see it for my birthday and fell asleep 5 minutes in so I was sobbing hysterically all alone in a movie theatre wearing those stupid 3D glasses. Ugh.

The Man
01-25-2010, 04:13 AM
Up lived up to Pixar's usual high standards. I don't think it's their best but it's certainly a masterpiece.

Rad Bromance
01-25-2010, 04:16 AM
I didn't enjoy it quite as much as other Pixar films, mainly because the talking dogs. That pretty much ruined the movie for me.

Before that though, it was doing fantastic. The beginning was incredibly sad, and filled with subject matter I've never seen in a kids film.

It's a good movie but it would of had a much stronger effect on me without the talking dogs.

Miriel
01-25-2010, 04:43 AM
I LOOOOOVED the talking dogs! Just about died from the cuteness of Dug. "I was hiding under your porch because I love you." :love: Crossing my fingers that Pixar makes a full on movie about puppies one day.

Up was not my favorite Pixar film (that would be Monster's Inc) but definitely a lot of fun, and so beautifully poignant. I said this in another thread but the Married Life montage was perfection.

The Pixar studio is just a few streets down from where I live. They don't give tours though, but one day I'm gonna get inside there!

blackmage_nuke
01-25-2010, 05:11 AM
Hey lets kill an old man and steal his blimp, dont worry its justified as the old guy is crazy

That said I enjoyed it alot.

The Man
01-25-2010, 09:21 AM
The talking dogs were awesome.

Rad Bromance
01-25-2010, 03:52 PM
I LOOOOOVED the talking dogs! Just about died from the cuteness of Dug. "I was hiding under your porch because I love you." :love: Crossing my fingers that Pixar makes a full on movie about puppies one day.
Oh sure, Dug was great. I would have been perfectly fine if he was the only one, but the fact that talking dogs became a prime element of the story combined with the emotional rollercoaster the rest of the film was just didn't do it for me.

It wouldn't have been a problem if the whole movie was talking dogs, like All Dogs Go to Heaven, Lady and the Tramp, etc.

That's just me though! :D

Shlup
01-25-2010, 06:29 PM
That's just me though! :D

And me. I was like no wonder this old dude hasn't caught the bird yet, he spends all his time inbreeding dogs and making collars so they can talk.

Del Murder
01-26-2010, 12:40 AM
Up was pretty good. One of my favorite movies of 2009. I hope it gets some Best Picture attention.