PDA

View Full Version : ASHTANGA FLOW

Moon Rabbits
11-01-2009, 08:20 PM
I was in the chats being stupid and talking about yoga in between poses as I did yoga. Do you do yoga? I do yoga. I enjoy yoga. Except for after yoga when my muscles ache with the fury of one thousand furious things. I do Ashtanga flows. I think I enjoy the butterfly pose the most, and sun salutations. There is this really intense pose where you sort of stand like you're sitting in a chair and have your hands stretched above your head like you're praying or something. It hurts like smurf. I wish I was better at yoga than I actually am.

SO, DO YOU DO YOGA?

scrumpleberry
11-01-2009, 08:27 PM
I do some casually from time to time. I'm pretty good at it, partially because my joints overextend lol. I have pretty good balance and flexibility because I have been doing it in bits and bobs for years. I have no idea what school or principles I'm doing it from. It's mainly things I've ripped off of other people and random books and FITNESS DVDs and stuff so I'm not doing it like a proper yogi or student of yoga. I don't like the sun salutation because I'm no good at the timing and rhythm of it. I want to hold some poses longer than I've held others - and that's not good for your chi flow apparently.

Yoga is totally fabulous :bigsmile: After a proper good yoga sesh you feel excellent. I enjoy it very much.

rubah
11-01-2009, 08:29 PM
hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe

At one point in my life, it was my fondest dream that I might achieve nirvana by doing Yoga.

Freya
11-01-2009, 08:37 PM
I did do it for a bit but now I have to get over breathing issues before I can do it again. :p

I have horrible balance and i'm super clumsy so it's pretty hard for me to do in the first place.

Rye
11-01-2009, 09:42 PM
iv'e nver tried it! I'm afraid I'll fart during yoga.a!

Parker
11-01-2009, 11:08 PM
Since the above poster stole my post, I'll be serious.

I've never tried yoga as such but I've played around with the whole cross-legged meditation (more like sitting, relaxing and trying to think of nothing) and body stretching kind of thing a few times. It's very refreshing although I'm not too seriously into it.

Christmas
11-01-2009, 11:11 PM
I like yoga and practice it daily until I heard it will turn you into something like this.:

http://www.linkmesh.com/imagenes/temas/street_fighter/dhalsim_flaco.jpg

I stopped Yoga immediately. :(

Shlup
11-01-2009, 11:14 PM
I love yoga. I took it for PE credits in college and it was just all-around great. Increasing flexibility and strength while relaxing and constantly changing positions really keeps my attention and is awesome. And it ends with a freaking nap!!

I have done yoga a bit since that class, but not enough. I wanted to start again but then I sprained my ankle over a month ago and it's still not well enough for me to really do anything yet.

If it promised to turn me into Dhalsim, though, I'd push through the pain. You know you want it, Christmas.

Vermachtnis
11-02-2009, 12:33 AM
Yoga looks painful. I'm just not bendy enough.

Shlup
11-02-2009, 12:35 AM
I wasn't bendy at all when I started (and have lost my bendiness again entirely). I went from not being able to reach my toes by like six inches to being able to grab them with my whole hand.

rubah
11-02-2009, 12:41 AM
I can do that anyway :(

Shlup
11-02-2009, 01:34 AM
WELL GOOD FOR FREAKIN' YOU. :|

Momiji
11-02-2009, 01:34 AM
I'm too stiff to do something like yoga. I won't bend, I'll probably break. :(

Moon Rabbits
11-02-2009, 01:52 AM
I'm too stiff to do something like yoga. I won't bend, I'll probably break. :(

That's the point! When I started I had horrible balance and flexibility. Now I'm like a silly noodly straaaaaaaw~

Quindiana Jones
11-02-2009, 01:18 PM
Why should I do yoga? (Interesting tone of voice, by the way)

Rye
11-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Yeah, in all soberness and seriousness, I wanna know why yoga is good too. I'm somewhat interested and I wanna hear it straight from you guys!

How expensive is it?

Breine
11-02-2009, 01:42 PM
I met a British girl in China, who's now a good friend of mine, that does yoga. She taught me some very basic stuff and I've done those casually a couple of times, but that's about it.

The next time I see her I'll make her teach me some more because I actually really want to get into it.

Moon Rabbits
11-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Yeah, in all soberness and seriousness, I wanna know why yoga is good too. I'm somewhat interested and I wanna hear it straight from you guys!

How expensive is it?

Why should I do yoga? (Interesting tone of voice, by the way)

Where I go, it's $15 per class ($3 of that is to rent a yoga mat cuz I don't have one). At the studio I go to you can pay $20 though and get a whole week of classes.

There are a million reasons to do yoga! It improves your balance, flexibility, circulation, builds and tones muscles (I've been working on my core), wakes you up in the morning, and makes you just feel good in general. After a 45 minute flow I feel all bouncy and happy~~ It's great in the morning before I go to school.

edit: And it's just fun exercise. I can never do weight training because I get bored after like 10 minutes of reps. Yoga keeps my attention because you have to focus on holding the poses, and you're always changing what you're doing!

Rye
11-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Is it true that it works you pretty good? I hear that from people, and I was never sure if I should believe or not.

Moon Rabbits
11-02-2009, 03:58 PM
Is it true that it works you pretty good? I hear that from people, and I was never sure if I should believe or not.

Oh my god!! Yes! When I'm doing yoga on my own, I keep at a relatively slow pace so I don't work up TOO much of a sweat - but after an hour or so of poses, I can feel my muscles and I am a bit sweaty.

When you do it in a class setting, though, my GOD! I remember the first class I went to (this was only about a month or so ago), and half way through I was DRIPPING with sweat. I was breathing heavy and my muscles felt like someone was stretching them in opposite directions. I've been told that Ashtanga is better for actual toning of muscles and working out, but I've never really done Hatha or whatever the other school is called so I don't know for sure.

The "chair" pose in particular makes me want to die. (http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/493)

Rye
11-02-2009, 05:04 PM
I think I might try it then, when I'm back in the states and have a job that can actually pay for it. It seems pretty nice, and I do need help relaxing. I just was always put off by it because I don't like the kind of people who use yoga as a means to just spend money, like $100 yoga pants and a $500 mat and all that jazz.

Shlup
11-02-2009, 06:40 PM
I can't imagine that you wouldn't love it, Rye. And it's worth going to the classes. Since I took it for PE in college I've been doing just videos or by myself at home and it's still awesome, but less so.

I really want my freaking ankle to heal so I can start again. I had just started again after a long time of not doing yoga when I sprained it.

Moon Rabbits
11-02-2009, 07:18 PM
I can't imagine that you wouldn't love it, Rye. And it's worth going to the classes. Since I took it for PE in college I've been doing just videos or by myself at home and it's still awesome, but less so.

I really want my freaking ankle to heal so I can start again. I had just started again after a long time of not doing yoga when I sprained it.

Yes, I agree. I do it at home (just some sun salutations and various stretches and twists), and to videos, but it's just not the same as the class setting.

Rye
11-02-2009, 08:29 PM
I'd definitely go to classes, I have a really weird inability to do work out tapes. I tried it once and I felt so self-conscious, even in my house alone. xD

scrumpleberry
11-02-2009, 08:32 PM
I'm the opposite! I feel mega self-concious in classes but work out tapes I'm like YEAH LET'S GO COME ON RAWR

Shlup
11-02-2009, 09:29 PM
And once you take a few classes you'll know some routines to do at home. Like it's nice to do five sun salutations when you wake up in the morning.

rubah
11-02-2009, 11:08 PM
I like to touch my toes every morning when I wake up 8) it usually pops my back really well :D

My friend and I did a yoga tape once at my house. I didn't get a whole lot out of it, but I understand feeling self-conscious in your own house.

Christmas
11-03-2009, 10:44 AM
http://www.yogaelements.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/yoga-sex-cover.jpg

RYE, YOU SHOULD TOTALLY LEARN IT, YOU AND ME!!! :kaoclove:

Rye
11-03-2009, 03:26 PM
One on one lessons!?