PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Age: Origins (My new love <3)

The Summoner of Leviathan
11-05-2009, 09:44 AM
So who here is playing Bioware's newest epic fantasy RPG?

I am pretty fricken addicted to it at the moment. Been a while since I have been THIS addicted to a game. It feels good, in the "I know this is not good for me, but I love it anyways" sort of way.

Currently playing as a Rogue, Human Noble. :D I want to play as a Dalish Elf later, or maybe even a City Elf! :D

So who else here is addicted? I mean I know there are Bioware fans around here. I can't be the only one who is playing this. Though I am surprised that this is the first thread I have seen about it (in EoFF)! Then again, I did not put much effort into looking!

JKTrix
11-05-2009, 02:09 PM
Too busy playin'
JKTrix's Player Profile | BioWare Social Network (http://social.bioware.com/playerprofile.php?nid=2262162326&game=dragonage)

The online integration is neat, but right now it does take a while. 'Up to an hour' my foot. Maybe it'll speed up once the game gets a little older.

Dreddz
11-05-2009, 04:18 PM
I'm on the fence between this and Tekken 6. I like the idea of sinking 100's of hours into a game so what I'm hearing about Dragon Age Origins is good so far. Although I can't help but be reminded of Oblivion (which I hated).

11-05-2009, 04:23 PM
It is quite the different experience than Oblivion. Combat wise, it is much more tactical, allowing you to pause and give out commands, or do it in real-time. The plot, as far as I know about either while might be superficially similar, they differ (the whole evil invasion thing). Oh, and the characters? You just can't help but invest into them. Also, there are some hilarious points too.

Dragon Age: Origins, to me, has a lot more personality than Oblivion. At least that's how I feel so far. It just sucks you in. :D

Dignified Pauper
11-05-2009, 05:02 PM
I love it. I'm Human Warrior Noble. But I'm not liking my character. I may switch to a mage.

Bolivar
11-05-2009, 05:32 PM
I'm really really hyped for this. Once I heard about the Gambit-like system that bioware has been an innovator of, I was hooked.

Gonna wait a little while though, I got Demon's Souls going on at the moment and the BFBC2 beta hits in less than 2 weeks.

McLovin'
11-06-2009, 02:23 AM
How is this game compared to Demon's Souls?

Gilghamut
11-06-2009, 03:37 PM
I've got a Human Noble Champion at the moment, and am loving the game. This game is just epic, and loved the battle at Ostegar.

To me, the depth of the world and the way the story is presented puts Oblivion to shame.

JKTrix
11-06-2009, 03:42 PM
How is this game compared to Demon's Souls?

They are both RPGs, but there isn't much similarity between them.

As far as how I feel about Demon's Souls and Dragon Age, I love them both. Note I am playing on the PC, and I've heard that the PS3 version of Dragon Age is kind of buggy.

Bolivar
11-06-2009, 05:31 PM
Can any of you guys speak about the combat system a little bit. I guess you can tell from my last post I'm a little giddy about the gambit-like system, I guess Bioware has their own name for it as they've been doing it for a hwile now, but the ability to make pre-set commands predicting how combat will occur.

Raistlin
11-06-2009, 05:41 PM
I've heard this game is pretty awesome, so I may have to get it after this semester's over. I should not tempt myself before exams.

It seems like most people here are fighter classes. Has anyone tried a magic-based class?

11-06-2009, 05:44 PM
The gambit part is a lot similar to FFXII's, though the whole thing is accessible from the get go (i.e. no need to buy gambits :P). You have some preset behaviours which are dependent on your character's class as well as room for custom sets too. FYI, the gambit system is called "Tactics".

That aside, the combat system is somewhat RTS. You can manually select any of your four party members, by doing so you override their Tactics. You can also pause anytime and go from each character to give them their next move (where it is moving, changing targets, using specific skill, etc...). You can also do this in real time too, just depends how fast you are at switching and such. Also, each characters can have two weapons set up. Like my Rogue dual wields (long sword and dagger) and his secondary is bow and arrows, another example is Alistar (is a PC you find early in the game, not spoiler since you find can go to the official site and it has had all the PC characters' names for a while now) who I have with Sword & Shield on primary and Two-Handed on Secondary. Switching between them is smooth and easy.

JKTrix
11-06-2009, 07:13 PM
I'm playing a mage. I posted this link earlier, if you have the game sign up for a free account and link your own profile. As long as you play online, it will update your progress there

JKTrix's Player Profile | BioWare Social Network (http://social.bioware.com/playerprofile.php?nid=2262162326&game=dragonage)

Combat is the basic 'click a target, click a skill, let it rip'. The strategy stems from that. If you played FF12 you would be familiar with it (if you never played something like Neverwinter Nights before). You can pause whenever you like to think about your next step, which is probably going to be required more often than not. The Tactics ('Gambits') are okay, but you will want to micromanage your troops if you want to keep everyone alive. Some of the battles can be pretty rough, and if you take your eyes off of one of your teammates for one second they can probably die.

The position of your party members seems pretty important too. You can tell them to go somewhere and stay there, doing something until you tell them otherwise. Useful when you want your archers to stay perched in one spot, mages in another spot and let your melee guy go in and smash things. Particularly when you come up against enemies who can damage multiple people in one hit, having all your guys bunched up together is a bad idea.

The battle I'm taking part in now, the staff my mage has has zero effect on the enemy, and I had just sold my other staff prior to that. So he's stuck with just his spells, which drain his MP pretty quick while my archer, other mage and weak knight do the bulk of the damage. I like that you recover your HP and MP periodically when you are not 'engaged', but more often than not when you're fighting waves of enemies, the next wave will engage you before you can even start regenerating.

I find myself taking Morrigan out of my party when I plan to go persuade someone to do good stuff. Her approval rating drops quick.

11-06-2009, 07:56 PM
It annoys me to know end that she gets pissed because you decide to help Redcliff and she disapproves, but the only way to get into the castle, as far as I know, is to help them. Other than that, I love listening to her and Alistar bicker. :D

JKTrix
11-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Yeah, Redcliffe is where I am now, fighting in that 'Night' battle. I can get past the first part fine, because that's where all the actual warriors are. But when I have to go fight the militia, it's hard to keep my guys alive. Gonna try a few different 'strategies' based on what I have, which is not much.

Iceglow
11-06-2009, 10:33 PM
I definitely want this game, the biggest question I have to decide on is whether to go get the PC version and play it on my laptop (yes it'll run I'm like 99% sure. Officially my graphics chipset won't be supported however, I am green accross the board for everything including Crysis on reccomended system specs) or go get the 360 version and play there.

NeoCracker
11-06-2009, 11:23 PM
I love having Morrian, Aliester, and The bard girl you pick up before redcliff, I forget her name.

Morrigan and her constantly bicker about whether or not 'The Creator' exists, which is hilarious as it sounds like a real life atheist and theist arguing.

and of course Morrigan and Alister are freaking hilarious, as well as Aleister and your dog if you were a noble.

Though nothing beat out me bedding an elven maid and the conversation I had as a Human Female noble with my family. XD

Fergison: 'You'll understand when you have a man in your life.'
Me: 'No Less then three I'd hope.'
Fergs wife: That would be a disgrace to your family, but if it's true make sure you are discreet.'
Fergison: 'I don't know how I should take that.'
Fergs wife: 'As advise from a practical women dear.'

Vyk
11-07-2009, 01:35 AM
I loved the conversations in Baldur's Gate... I can't wait for this game. But they weren't taking anymore reserves, and apparently were swamped for the collector's edition. Which is what I wanted. Now I won't get the reserve goodies. And... Have to wait for the next batch to ship in :/ Guess its good that its popular. More likely a sequel

ljkkjlcm9
11-07-2009, 01:58 AM
I just bought this for my PC, despite having so many games, I have 0 on my brand new gaming Laptop. I looked at the requirements when I was buying the game and laughed (EX: needs 1 gig RAM and I have 6 gigs? lol)
Having heard that the PS3 version is a bit buggy, and having my laptop with nothing on it, made this a clear cut choice. Plus with 5 other PS3 games that need playing time, I didn't need to add another to the mix. But now when one of my roommates is playing my PS3/Wii or their 360, I can play this on my laptop.

My idea is that I have a good solid game to play on all my platforms. PS3 has Demon's Souls, Wii will have New Super Mario Bros to play later this month with my girlfriend and roommates. So all in all, I'm covered on every home console basis (DS not sure which game to get yet).

THE JACKEL

Dignified Pauper
11-07-2009, 04:35 AM
The dog is by far the best character.

"You found a piece of cake? Do you expect me to eat this? I'm not going to eat any 'found' cake."

or when you go to Deremir the first time, he finds a boy, and the main character says "You need to take him back where you found him. No, you can't keep him." in reference to the boy the dog found.

Quindiana Jones
11-07-2009, 07:46 AM
I definitely want this game, the biggest question I have to decide on is whether to go get the PC version and play it on my laptop (yes it'll run I'm like 99% sure. Officially my graphics chipset won't be supported however, I am green accross the board for everything including Crysis on reccomended system specs) or go get the 360 version and play there.

Ditto. Though, to be honest, if I do choose PC it'll be my first PC game in a long time, so I don't know if my graphics stuff is up to date. I'm not much of a techie, so any help would be appreciated. I'm running on Direct3D 9, if that means anything. O_O

Regarding the game, it does look incredible. And I'm just reading the Gamespot review now. Might even buy it today. I've been meaning to find a good reason to get rid of my DS. :D

Alex151
11-07-2009, 04:29 PM
If I wasn't so broke right now I would definitely have this game. It looks awesome, me being a huge fan of Oblivion, Mass Effect, Kotor's, and Baldur's gate. I put no thought into it at first because I thought it was only for the PC. I have to be careful though, because Assasin's Creed 2 comes out soon, and I don't want to be sucked into games too much, which always happens(then I end up being late for work, and things just go down hill). I will be looking into Dragon Age soon though.

McLovin'
11-07-2009, 07:10 PM

Ditto. Though, to be honest, if I do choose PC it'll be my first PC game in a long time, so I don't know if my graphics stuff is up to date. I'm not much of a techie, so any help would be appreciated. I'm running on Direct3D 9, if that means anything. O_O

Regarding the game, it does look incredible. And I'm just reading the Gamespot review now. Might even buy it today. I've been meaning to find a good reason to get rid of my DS. :D

Start - Run - dxdiag
Compare your settings to the game's recommended settings.

Quindiana Jones
11-07-2009, 07:48 PM
:love:

11-07-2009, 07:56 PM
I meet the minimum settings but I am just under the recommended settings and I play it just fine with high graphic settings. According to Vista, the minimum scoring is 4.0 and the recommended is 5.0; mine is 4.1 and I play it without a problem and with good graphic settings.

Iceglow
11-07-2009, 10:41 PM

Start - Run - dxdiag
Compare your settings to the game's recommended settings.

OR....

Just go to this (http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/srtest/intro.aspx) link. It might require active X for it to work (using Internet Explorer on my vaio atm so can't really check because I feel lazy about firefox) select or type in the game name and click "will it run?" and wait for results. I used that for my computer and I fail only on chipset according to their listing but then they're comparing to the box requirements and having read these at work (god sometimes I love my jobs simplicity and advantages) I can see that it does say on the box that my chipset being intel won't necessary being unsupported but the game should run on most models. The site breaks down the requirements on graphics cards and then tells you where your card fails to meet specs. Mine is green just the brand is red.

Depression Moon
11-07-2009, 10:51 PM
I haven't played an RPG outside of FF ina lonng time. Is the PS3 version good for me?

f f freak
11-08-2009, 01:25 AM
I plan on getting this for Christmas, though I'm so excited about it I may have to use some of my birthday money I have to buy it now, especially because reading about it here makes me want it so much more.

Iceglow
11-08-2009, 01:26 AM
I haven't played an RPG outside of FF ina lonng time. Is the PS3 version good for me?

The game is 360/PC only. So No.

Shlup
11-08-2009, 01:28 AM
My friend is addicted and has told me I would love this game. He says the characters are very interesting.

Iceglow
11-08-2009, 01:36 AM
A lot seem based on the Asgard the gods of the celts/norse if I haven't missed my mark. That automatically makes a game have interesting characters.

Shoeberto
11-08-2009, 01:45 AM

Actually... (http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Age-Origins-Playstation-3/dp/B001IK5TJI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1257644655&sr=8-3)

I've heard the PS3 version has a handful of bugs, but nothing that's really game breaking. Reviews have been basically putting the PC version at the forefront with the 360 and PS3 version at about level ground.

McLovin'
11-08-2009, 03:31 AM
Just bought the PS3 version. We'll see how it goes!

11-08-2009, 04:51 AM

Probably mistaking the fact that the PS3 was originally delayed to the 17th of November though like a week or two before it's schedule release on PC and 360 (Nov. 3rd), they announced that the PS3 version would no longer be delayed.

Iceglow
11-08-2009, 12:04 PM

Probably mistaking the fact that the PS3 was originally delayed to the 17th of November though like a week or two before it's schedule release on PC and 360 (Nov. 3rd), they announced that the PS3 version would no longer be delayed.

Actually it was kinda me being a little lazy. I hadn't bothered to check release dates online for PS3 (should've done so but meh) I'd gone on what I'd seen at work, we had no copies for PS3 so yeah sometimes being lazy makes me wrong.

Booga
11-08-2009, 12:16 PM
Mr Booga has been going on about it, and I have to admit it sounds pretty awesome. I'm considering it on PC.

Shattered Dreamer
11-08-2009, 12:31 PM

Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 - GameSpy (http://ps3.gamespy.com/playstation-3/dragon-age/)

Ah nope! Here's some info on the PS3 version!

Mirage
11-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Basically, the most important thing you need to look at when buying games for PC is the graphics card. It's usually no problem that the other parts of your PC are a bit below the requirements if your graphics card can keep up.

Having just tried this game with a Geforce 8800 GT, i can say that it's no problem running it at high graphical details, 2x AA and high textures, which puts the graphical quality on par with, or greater, than the consoles.

McLovin'
11-10-2009, 06:20 AM
The game is great so far. I hope that at you learn all your talents in the end or at least be able to redeem them somehow if you chose something rashly.

The gambits aka Tactics are pretty important I'd say when you've got a bigger party with lots of abilities at their disposal because you are only given like 5 slots and you have way more abilities than that so it kinda makes your uncontrolled characters new abilities useless if they don't have a new Tactics slot to accommodate for it.

One beef is the damn woman, they all have the same broad shouldered build, teh fuck.

Loony BoB
11-10-2009, 01:48 PM
I've played a lot of it as normal difficulty but got annoyed with how close to impossible some parts were and ended up switching to Easy, and since found things much more to my liking. Having said that, the area I'm in (let's just say single character looking for his lost friends and killing demons to get to a Sloth or someting) is now insanely easy and I've switched back to Normal again. I think they could have managed the difficulty for certain parts a little better, although I understand a new patch resolves this issue so there you go.

Really enjoy the game. Very much so - and yeah, the conversations that involve your dog are the best (assuming you're a Human Noble).

Dignified Pauper
11-10-2009, 02:06 PM
I restarted as a Human Mage which is vastly overpowered. I haven't died where I usually do. AND MICROMANAGING saves lives.

Loony BoB
11-10-2009, 04:00 PM
If you restarted after the recent patches then the main reason that you'll feel vastly overpowered would be because the difficulty on Easy and Normal has been made easier because they were too difficult earlier on.

I've only played as human warrior (pre-patch) so far, myself.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
11-11-2009, 04:32 PM
Am I the only one who got a dog that wasn't a human noble? I'm pretty sure you can get the dog no matter what race you are, if you simply do the side quest. I got him as A Dalish Elf Warrior. The conversations between the dog and Alistair and the dog and Morrigan are hilarious.

As for the game, I am finding it thoroughly addicting. I have started both the Dalish Elf and Human Noble origins, and much more enjoy being an elf. I didn't really care much for my human noble, so he is an ass.

Best part yet, hearing Tim Curry's voice as Arl Howe.

Gilghamut
11-12-2009, 03:33 PM
One of the best surprises for me is hearing Cam Clarke's voice in the game (Liquid Snake MGS 1 and 2).

Orzammar is a damn good section, especially with the dungeon you have to go through to get the Dwarves on your side.

Markus. D
11-12-2009, 09:45 PM
Morrigan.

leader of mortals
11-13-2009, 01:22 AM
I'm guessing that if I am not connected to xbox live, I won't get the patch?

ljkkjlcm9
11-13-2009, 05:35 AM
Personally, I'm looking forward to the absurdity of having a 3-some (they really put that in the game? lol)
I have only gotten to the first camp spot, but from there I went and did the Warden's keep DLC.

THE JACKAL

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
11-16-2009, 07:18 AM
Personally, I'm looking forward to the absurdity of having a 3-some (they really put that in the game? lol)
I have only gotten to the first camp spot, but from there I went and did the Warden's keep DLC.

THE JACKAL

I'm kinda pissed. I missed the threesome with my first character. Good thing I have two more characters coming for it. ;)

Madame Adequate
11-16-2009, 09:58 AM
I definitely want to get this.

Loony BoB
11-16-2009, 02:05 PM
Going by YouTube, you can go one more than a threesome.

Croyles
11-24-2009, 06:53 AM
I have this game for the PC and I have to say: omg, im in love with it. Ive already spent around 50 hours on it. Just beat Orzammer or whatever its called (i did that one last out of the 4). Now i need to get to the landsmeet.

Great game. So many reasons why i love it but its too early in the morning so i will just say Lesbian action in 'escort' parlor.

McLovin'
11-24-2009, 11:34 PM
Oghren and Wynne are win.

* Oghren: Ah, Wynne... Care to partake of Oghren's fine homebrew? It's the drink of the gods.
* Wynne: Mm, ale, is it? And I hope it's brewed hygienically?
* Oghren: Of course! I may not know clean from a beggar's ass when it comes to most things, but I don't mess around with my ale.
* Wynne: Very well, let's have a taste.
* Oghren: Well? Well? What do you think?
* Wynne: Very nice.
* Oghren: You like it? well, I never...
* Wynne: Attractive amber color. Nutty flavor, slightly sweet, just a hint of toastiness. There's some spice to it... I'm finding hard to place...
* Oghren: Yes? Yes?
* Wynne: Is it... cloves?
* Oghren: Cloves! By the stone, you're a lady after my own heart. if I weren't buckled into this armor, I'd take you round the corner and... well, you know.
* Wynne: Give me more ale?
---------------------------------
* Wynne: Why do you occasionally refer to Alistair as a "little pike-twirler?"
* Oghren: Why? Has the little pike-twirler taken offence?
* Wynne: It's just a curious description.
* Oghren: Curious? (Snorts) Bah. it's entirely true. What, you haven't seen him twirling his pike? Goes at it when he thinks no one's watching. Knocks about in the trees like there's no tomorrow. Caught him just the other day. Blushed all the way down to his navel, then couldn't find his shirt. I swear he's going to hurt himself one of these days, the way he wors that thing.
* Wynne: I don't want to hear this anymore, do I?
* Oghren: I keep telling him, pikes are for sticking things at long range, aye? Horses and such. Not for twirling like a sissy-girl.
* Wynne: Wait, you're talking about an actual pike? Like a spear?
* Oghren: Obviously. What else would I be talking about?
* Wynne: I can't imagine.

and also the dialogue exchange when talking to him in camp on one of the occasions he's drunk, and he's going on about the dog stealing his pants. That is the funniest part of the game so far I swear.

NeoCracker
11-25-2009, 01:57 AM
As funny as Oghren and Wynne are, nothing beats Zevrin and Wynne. Every conversation they have is Zev very directyly hitting on Wynne, including like, a minute conversation about her bosom. And the lines

"I'm old enough to be your grandmother"
"You say that as if it were a bad thing."

Vyk
11-25-2009, 01:59 AM
All the stores quit selling the Collector's Edition. So I resorted to Amazon, who seems to have it in abundance. Supposedly. Hopefully it'll arrive tomorrow. That conversation with Wynne reminds me of my ex-... A dry matter-of-fact sense of humor

Araciel
11-26-2009, 08:21 AM
I like game.

I play daily.

No time make more words.

Croyles
11-26-2009, 08:39 PM
I like game.

I play daily.

No time make more words.

I think you hit the nail on the head there :)

demondude
11-27-2009, 08:24 PM
I started with Human Noble but the dog scares me. :( wtf is it supposed to be?

I Took the Red Pill
11-28-2009, 07:53 PM
I'm playing Dwarf Noble and thoroughly enjoying it. :-$

McLovin'
11-28-2009, 10:35 PM
Soloed the Archdemon as Oghren and 50 dwarves, ha that was fun.

sephireland
12-02-2009, 10:18 AM
I'm a Dalish Elf, I spit on you humans :) Great game.

Madame Adequate
12-06-2009, 01:58 PM
I'm playing Dwarf Noble and thoroughly enjoying it. :-$

Same. The game is brilliant and I found a copy for just £30 yesterday fgj.

DK
12-06-2009, 04:12 PM
Yeah I picked this up on friday afternoon and have done literally nothing but play it since. Playing as an Elf mage, because I like big spells. And there are some god damn sweet ass big spells in this game. <3

Shale is one of the greatest team mates of all time

Madame Adequate
12-07-2009, 10:58 AM
I restarted just to see another opening. Human mage lady.

Magic is fucking awesome in this game.

Bunny
12-07-2009, 06:39 PM
I have an Elf Mage but I might start over as a Dwarf Commoner Rogue because I missed the ability to become a Blood Mage. Or I might just suck it up, make another mage and unlock it on that character. I don't knoooooow.

I do want a dwarf rogue though because they are amazing.

demondude
12-07-2009, 10:00 PM
Dwarf commoner origin is my favourite.

Shadowdust
12-09-2009, 05:57 AM
I'm totally addicted to this game. I was excited to recently find that a healthy amount of mods have already been released for the game by users. I've already morphed Morrgian and Leliana into better looking versions of themselves, closer to the appearance from the Sacred Ashes trailer. Plus, there's already a mod for adding additional shape shifting forms. :D

First time through, I played the male human warrior. Second time through, I'm playing as a female elven rogue. It's been fun so far. I'm really glad that Bioware didn't include a good/evil type gauge in this game. It seems like the choices you make are similar to The Witcher where it's more about the consequences of your actions rather than if they're good or evil.

Madame Adequate
12-13-2009, 10:50 PM
Well it turns out that Dragon Age is inexplicably one of the very few 360 games which are region coded.

Which means I will not in fact be playing it at all over my nice long Christmas break in which I intended to spend a lot of time play Dragon Age because I had a nice long Christmas break.

:colbert:

Bunny
12-14-2009, 12:41 AM
Which means I will not in fact be playing it at all over my nice long Christmas break in which I intended to spend a lot of time play Dragon Age because I had a nice long Christmas break.

That sucks. Looks like you have spend time with your girlfriend. Boohoo.

My only complaint about Dragon's Age is the lack of intelligence with the computer controlled characters. I enjoy exerting a certain amount of control over all of the characters but it is ridiculous how much hand-holding I have to do.

"Alistair, I want you to attack the big group of mobs right there, okay? No. What are you doing. Why are you attacking a wall. Stop talking to the barrel. What the hell Alistair you're going the wrong way! No! Monster! MONSTER! Thanks you asshole, now Morrigan is dead."

Shadowdust
12-14-2009, 01:54 AM
I never really had my characters act too dumb. I just made sure I took advantage of the tactics menu and they do a pretty good job of protecting each other.

Iceglow
12-26-2009, 08:29 PM
hmm I got this baby for christmas I'm loving it :D

Quindiana Jones
12-28-2009, 12:55 PM
Is it worth bothering with it on the 360? Or should I just spend a billion million pounds getting a new PC? ;)

McLovin'
12-29-2009, 12:46 AM
New PC will be useful in the long run at least.

Bunny
12-29-2009, 01:31 AM
Is it worth bothering with it on the 360? Or should I just spend a billion million pounds getting a new PC? ;)

Honestly, I have no idea how the game would run on the 360. I just don't see it running as smoothly on a console as it does on the PC without severe changes. I'd just get a new PC and get DA and Borderlands. <3

McLovin'
12-29-2009, 02:29 AM
It runs fine on the PS3. Biggest fault is that you can only use 6 spells at a time which is retarded since you have like 30 so on a computer that wouldn't be a prob.

Iceglow
12-29-2009, 11:54 PM
No you can use all your spells on the ps3/360 the simple soloution to this is to set the radial menu to toggle instead of hold, holding the button gets tiresome and if your finger slips oops wrong action, toggling removes the hurried hassle of selecting the wrong spell/item/action you just take some time (however much you need) cue the action and then press the radial menu button once and away we go.

On 360 I have to say, the game looks beautiful and runs smoothly, I've seen instances of texture lagging on rare occassion when a lot is going on (admittedly this was during the military camp in Ostagar at the start of the game (it's not really a spoiler since EVERY character, regardless of background goes there) The lag was caused by me running round the camp as a lunatic to approach the dog warden he didn't appear even though his axe and shield hung in mid air and I could talk to him, I waited like a second or two and he appeared so no biggy, seen much worse happen in Fallout 3 and Oblivion on PC, PS3 and 360 so I aint too fussed over my ability to texture lag the game) The only other thing I'm not sure if it exists on the pc due to the fact that the paging files and resources available generally outstrip the consoles in any case is that area's tend to have a mini load session to make sure the area you are about to enter displays perfectly rather than how some games end up with major clipping because you progressed faster than the cache could handle thpugh for pc I guess this is dependent on the machine in question not the game.

McLovin'
12-30-2009, 02:21 AM
When you're playing a game you usually don't want to pause the game to cast a spell which is what I meant by 6 spells at a time since you can cast those instantly. Going to the radial menu and then to the spell menu to then find the spell takes more time than necessary.

Iceglow
12-31-2009, 01:37 AM
I disagree, the fights I've had (currently I'm according to the games log 20% of the way through the game or so) generally are moving pretty fast (normal difficulty) I find that without some micro management to prevent my party members from doing something ridiculously stupid during combat I've been forced on many occassions especially when theres multiple traps and enemies in an area to micro manage by pausing the game regulary to make sure I select the correct target/action for the character in question. Pulling up the radials is no more or less time consuming than the old Bioware designed system from KOTOR or KOTOR 2, or if we were to look at the JRPG genre, not too much of a stretch from ATB guages, an action is completed and though the character could continue with their AI the radial menu is called up and you can micro manage.

Iceglow
01-08-2010, 01:12 AM
Ok, so 2 things here that probably shouldn't be done, 1) bringing this thread up with a bump after it's been a while since anyone posted in it and 2) double post... but it's with good reason.

Ok, so I freaking love this game, the game is insane it's just epic it's one of the few games I have ever said "I must have the DLC for this title" I have both Warden's Keep and ofcourse because my game came with the code, I have the god of tanking that is Shale. I also know that as soon as the Return to Ostagar pack comes out I will be downloading that and giving it a good thrashing too. I was just wondering however if anyone else noticed something I did.

In the Warden's Keep DLC, post completion of the story to it (about an hour or two's extra storyline) you get to re-visit the area whenever and find that the trader who you helped in the first place has moved in to the keep with his family and has since opened shop. Aside from the two new shops here you also get a chest for storing excess items in and a new sword made which frankly is ridiculous (I am talking about the star metal weapon, which basically consists of a level 8 weapon) I noticed that the party chest aside from making the game a hell of a lot easier (I only brought 2 backpacks on this character, 1st one before entering the Koscari Wilds and the 2nd just after my return from them and before the Joining, these two are the two cheapest backpacks in game costing a mere 60 silvers each) Once I had completed ostagar and Lothering I headed off to Warden's Keep and then to collect Shale. I now merely go back to Warden's Keep often to swap items out and in of the chest which is when I noticed that after I stored my starting Dalish Armour set in the chest there and went to do the Circle Of The Magi when I returned to there to stash further items in there the very same starter armour had gone from being "Rough" to being "Reinforced" and many other items have upgraded since then, has anyone else encountered this mightily beneficial bug? I know the chest isn't meant to do that but it sure as hell is pretty awesome.

~*~Celes~*~
01-08-2010, 01:26 AM
I'm seriously considering getting this :D

Jessweeee♪
01-08-2010, 08:32 AM
ENCHANTMENT!

Iceglow
01-08-2010, 09:45 PM
ENCHANTMENT!

Yes I have need of your skills at this time...

Gilghamut
01-09-2010, 12:55 PM
There's gonna be an expansion coming for this, and it's looking to be released on March 16.

http://www.incgamers.com/News/20327/dragon-age-origins--awakening-new-screens <- Some info and screens showing new enemies

http://www.incgamers.com/News/20321/dragon-age-origins--awakening-announced <- More info and source for the release date

Iceglow
01-09-2010, 10:16 PM
Yeah Awakenings looks pretty sick, before that we've gotta go claim back Ostagar though (Return to Ostagar DLC should be out this month)

Blue Harvest
01-11-2010, 11:12 AM

QFT. "If you're done talking, let's go find some humans to push off a cliff"

I really don't like Sten though. I wish I'd left him in Lothering to get eaten by Darkspawn.

Bunny
01-11-2010, 06:49 PM
I really don't like Sten though. I wish I'd left him in Lothering to get eaten by Darkspawn.

Just make sure to bring popcorn on your next play through.

Iceglow
01-11-2010, 09:57 PM

QFT. "If you're done talking, let's go find some humans to push off a cliff"

Sten like Morrigan is easy to displease with your choices, generally however for a callous or a evil character Sten is a very good companion since all he will care about is taking down the blight. It can lead to great scenes if you take Sten to bigger conversations with people such as Redcliffe when you're deciding on how best to help the Arl's son. Or the circle of mages, it's also a really easy way to get the intimidate/persuade checks done if you're after the trophy/achievements for that because Sten will generally challenge your decision, especially if it won't immediately help you to tackle the blight. If you're a rogue or mage however he's an awesome tank.

Shadowdust
01-12-2010, 07:48 AM
I miss the days when I could talk to Shale. After booting up my game one day, any time I spoke to Shale, the dialog options come up from when he was inactive and I get warped outside of the playable portion of the map. Which leads me to have to restart the game. It's really disappointing since I was really getting him to like me.

~*~Celes~*~
01-18-2010, 04:35 PM
ok i've had this game for i think about a week now and i think i'll like it once i actually sit down to play it~

Skyblade
01-18-2010, 05:09 PM
Thinking about getting this, but before I do, is there an option to turn the blood feature off? Everything I've seen shows it as annoying and distracting.

Ouch!
01-18-2010, 06:44 PM
Thinking about getting this, but before I do, is there an option to turn the blood feature off? Everything I've seen shows it as annoying and distracting.
There's the option to turn off "persistent gore." I'm pretty sure that just stops the blood from staying splattered all over your characters after battle, but it definitely makes the cutscenes a little less strange.

Skyblade
01-18-2010, 07:19 PM
There's the option to turn off "persistent gore." I'm pretty sure that just stops the blood from staying splattered all over your characters after battle, but it definitely makes the cutscenes a little less strange.

Good. I don't really understand why they thought that would be a positive feature.

McLovin'
01-18-2010, 08:18 PM
Cas when you are melee and you're doing a finishing move and your blade cuts through the flesh of your opponent; the gore makes the kill so awesome.

Iceglow
01-19-2010, 02:06 AM
You can always just keep Dog in your party and have him clean you up, however that means you're clean but Dog and everyone else in the party is blood soaked through and through.

Aerith's Knight
01-19-2010, 08:52 PM
Just started again as an Elven mage. Opening sequence is much more awesome than human noble.

I feel like taking the affinity in the most destructive magic possible. :P

Iceglow
01-20-2010, 01:23 AM
Unfortunately a lot of the enemies you'll want to use magic on in the game are demons ect and they'll nerf any and all fire spells you have, even though they're the most damaging therefore it's good to go for a lightning/cold mage rather than a fire, though fire is freaking awesome to use in regards to dark spawn and humans.

Ouch!
01-20-2010, 01:36 AM
It also helps that it's a lot easier to stack like +55% cold damage than it is to stack any other type of damage.

Depression Moon
01-20-2010, 02:47 AM
Not sure if anyobody already answered this, but is the mod tool set for this game available for PS3 or is it PC only?

~*~Celes~*~
01-29-2010, 03:51 AM
I have fallen in love with this game! :o Playing the Dalish Elf story mode right now :D