PDA

View Full Version : I love this song but I just can't stand the lyrics!

Jessweeee♪
11-05-2009, 11:03 PM
I think some language has a word specifically for this.

YouTube - Save this World - PSU:Ambition of Illuminus Remix (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOXfdyQIJOc)

Is what inspired me to make the thread.

So go! Post yours!

Moon Rabbits
11-05-2009, 11:21 PM
Weird, I was talking in the chatroom just a moment ago about how I hate when this happens.

Particularly, I was talking about Siren Song by Bat for Lashes. I actually really love the song, and all the lyrics, except for one single line that always ruins the song for me: "The stars were exploding eyes."

I don't know what it is about the line, it just infuriates me though.

Alex151
11-06-2009, 12:52 AM
I love a lot of the Protest the Hero songs, but some talk about killing God and what-not, and I'm not too down with that. Their music sounds fantastic, they're very talented, but there's just too many anti-God lyrics through-out their cd's for me to dig it too much.

Jessweeee♪
11-06-2009, 04:45 PM
A lot of Linkin Park and recent Green Day also fall into this category x.x

Raistlin
11-06-2009, 05:35 PM
I generally don't care about lyrics, and only how they sound in a song. I rarely pay much attention to the words themselves. I think some of my favorite songs have rather annoying, stupid, or disturbing lyrics.

A recent example: my college roommate showed me a song by an obscure metal band Serenity called "Dead Man Walking" which I really liked. A couple of days later I actually listened closely to the lyrics and realized it was a song about a guy asking his friend to help him commit suicide. The lyrics are O_o but the song itself is great, so I don't care.

Rebellious Eagle
11-06-2009, 07:22 PM
I like a lot of Nickelback songs bu some of theme are rather obscene for me. :/

Levian
11-06-2009, 07:48 PM
and recent Green Day also fall into this category x.x

Yah, especially the American Idiot CD. It can get too political and omg let's rebel-y at times

guffman
11-12-2009, 01:24 AM
I like a lot of Nickelback songs bu some of theme are rather obscene for me. :/
BAN!
Nickelback is not acceptable under any circumstances.

Pete for President
11-12-2009, 08:07 AM
"Home" by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zero's comes to mind. The whole song is awesome, until there's some really really cheesy romantic spoken word thing interrupting it all. Lame.

NeoCracker
11-12-2009, 08:15 AM
Bad lyrics will kill a song for me. I can only forgive lyrics up to a certain point before the music, no matter how good, is un listenable.

Wolf Kanno
11-12-2009, 09:49 AM
I feel this way about Megadeth, if they didn't have vocals I would love them cause their music is awesome but its destroyed by its singing.

Raistlin
11-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Oh, I should qualify my previous statement about ignoring lyrics: an exception is the voice of the singer. If the voice grates on my nerves too much, that can ruin a song for me. It just generally doesn't matter to me what the lyrics themselves are.

Necronopticous
11-12-2009, 04:02 PM
"Home" by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zero's comes to mind. The whole song is awesome, until there's some really really cheesy romantic spoken word thing interrupting it all. Lame.
It's a shame that that section of the song comes off as lame. It's actually really sweet, but you're kind of getting it out of context there. They say different things during that part all the time when they play it. If you watch videos of that song live you'll probably hear something different each time. "Do you remember the night we wrote this song?" It kind of chokes me up a little.

~*~Celes~*~
11-13-2009, 04:40 PM
"Lips of An Angel" by Hinder. I love the singer's voice, I love the rhythm, I love everything about the song except the lyrics. As soon as I found out it was a song about a guy cheating on his girl I decided I didn't like it as much as I thought :(

demondude
11-13-2009, 05:28 PM
I would say Linkin Park, but I hate their music anyway so ... :p Jessweee was on the right lines with Green Day though.

Shattered Dreamer
11-13-2009, 09:30 PM
YouTube - Flyleaf - Beautiful Bride (from Memento Mori) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_0KBdOmX8M)

I love Flyleaf but sometimes the religious theme in the lyrics drives me soft especially in the above song!

I Don't Need A Name
11-13-2009, 11:25 PM
YouTube - Flyleaf - Beautiful Bride (from Memento Mori) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_0KBdOmX8M)

I love Flyleaf but sometimes the religious theme in the lyrics drives me soft especially in the above song!

Yeah I see your point on that one. Sometimes it grates a bit.

The Man
11-17-2009, 11:12 AM
I can generally ignore lyrics I hate if they're unintelligible. Which probably explains why so much of my playlist is metal with unintelligible vocals. Actually I generally have no problem listening to musicians whose viewpoints I completely disagree with - it helps remind me that the other side is still human, even if I despise their ideals.

Markus. D
11-18-2009, 08:21 PM
I really don't focus on lyrics, rather... how they sound in synergy with the music is what I judge.

Laddy
11-18-2009, 08:57 PM
Wow, I hate Linkin Park, Hinder, Green Day, Nickelback, AND Flyleaf.

The Man
11-19-2009, 07:36 AM
Green Day is the only of those artists that's any good, and they're still kind of overrated.

Jessweeee♪
11-19-2009, 07:41 AM
I didn't make the thread to talk about whether or not you all like certain bands, I wanted to talk about songs that you enjoyed even though you didn't like the lyrics :(

LunarWeaver
11-19-2009, 02:30 PM
I listen to a lot of pop music, so definitely lyrics that are terrible. I go to people like Amanda Palmer or Regina Spektor or something if I wanna put on headphones and hear nice jibba jabba. I listen to If U Seek Amy or Umbrella if I want something catchy yet completely retarded.

Crop
11-20-2009, 01:57 AM

Yah, especially the American Idiot CD. It can get too political and omg let's rebel-y at times

Ugh, I hate all bands that make songs like that. Like "let's fight the system, rise up". As if they'd be leading the charge. I'm sure they're pretty happy with how they system has worked for them, they'd be papping their pants if there was a mass uprising.

NorthernChaosGod
11-20-2009, 02:24 AM
I feel this way about Megadeth, if they didn't have vocals I would love them cause their music is awesome but its destroyed by its singing.

Megadeth is amazing. Shut up. :mad2:

The Man
11-20-2009, 05:42 AM

Ugh, I hate all bands that make songs like that. Like "let's fight the system, rise up". As if they'd be leading the charge. I'm sure they're pretty happy with how they system has worked for them, they'd be papping their pants if there was a mass uprising.

Just because they've been financially successful under the system doesn't mean they have to like it. People can have other motivations than self-interest, you realise.

Crop
11-21-2009, 12:31 AM

Just because they've been financially successful under the system doesn't mean they have to like it. People can have other motivations than self-interest, you realise.

I do, but somehow I think they're doing it to feed off of everyone else's hate for the system.
Hell, I'm no big fan of it at the moment, but if I was rich for some reason, I wouldn't want things to change for me.

The Man
11-21-2009, 12:47 AM
I personally doubt it, mostly because there's a long history of social protest in punk rock (hell, rock in general), which Green Day, despite their obvious influence from popular music as well, seem to have been quite sincerely influenced by.