PDA

View Full Version : Booster and prevent floor damage materia

Saber
11-08-2009, 08:55 PM
I just seen on the final fantasy wikipidia that there are these two materias you can get from hacking or using a cheat device. Booster, which is pretty much null earth, causes earth attacks to cause 0 damage. While the other, which is more odvious, means you won't get hurt from those spikes in Gi Cave. These materias are built in the game but you just can't get them in story.

I've never been a fan of cheating devices but lately I've been wanting to exp with them to get some things. Aeris, Sephiroth in FF7 as well as these new materias. Beatrex from ff9, edea and seifer from ff8 are a few. Although I'd have to say I wouldn't use them for leveling up my characters and what nots. I like the exploring and grinding. Though it would be cool to get those characters.

Skyblade
11-08-2009, 09:46 PM
I can see why they removed them. Both of those are too small to be worthwhile. Earth damage can already be nullified by Titan or Quake + Elemental, and environmental dungeon damage is extremely rare, and definitely not worth an entire materia over. Unless we were to entirely rebuild the dungeons...

MJN SEIFER
11-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Yeah, the only times I can think of "Prevent Floor Damage" (would they really have called it that?) being useful is Ancient Forrest and (as you said) the Gi Cave.

I don't know why an anti-earth Materia would be called "Booster" either, unless it hasn't translated well...

Raistlin
11-08-2009, 10:11 PM
I don't know why an anti-earth Materia would be called "Booster" either, unless it hasn't translated well...

And that never happens!

I haven't heard of these before. I suppose it's possible, but they do sound awful boring.

Skyblade
11-08-2009, 10:14 PM
Yeah, the only times I can think of "Prevent Floor Damage" (would they really have called it that?) being useful is Ancient Forrest and (as you said) the Gi Cave.

They would have, as a placeholder. If they had the idea for the materia, and added it in for testing and such, they could have given it that name just as a placeholder. When it turned out to not be worthwhile, they just left it alone and didn't put it in the game, so it still has the placeholder name. Things like that can survive even through translations.

Booster, though, I'm not sure of either.

Mercen-X
11-11-2009, 04:44 PM
Maybe, someone just thought it was funny.

edit: I had a dream that I was using an alternate version of Zack and was about to enter a boss-battle for control of a ship from a talking bird. I look at my stats and observed that I had four materia: 3xCommand and 1xIndependent. The first command materia was called Crim and it had a description next to the name that made me feel that it wouldn't be very powerful so I started a mini-game that hoped would boost my stats...

ANYWAY... if you came across a command materia called "Crim" what would you expect it to do?

ReloadPsi
11-17-2009, 12:39 PM
Booster could be a mistranslation of whatever the Japanese is for Float. Which I think might be Levitate, I don't remember. Weird though; normally the "Nullify Earth" and "Negate Floor Damage" powers are in the one spell.