PDA

View Full Version : Should I try X-2 OR XII?

King Edgar
11-09-2009, 06:43 PM
I am a former FF fanatic. It really ran my life during my mid-teenage years. I own all of I-X, plus Tactics, TA, and X-2. I've beaten I, IV, and VI-X. My three favourites are probably VI, VII, and IX.

I have fallen out of gaming for the last few years, but it turns out I am going to the FF Distant Worlds concert in Chicago next month, so I'm starting to catch the bug a bit again. I've not played much of X-2 or XII. Which should I play (first)? I already own X-2, and while I really enjoyed X and its plotline, I can't remember much of it so I don't know if X-2 interests me much at the moment. However, is its main quest fairly short? I am more of a story/music guy, so I'm not concerned with hardcore getting everything in the game accomplished.

I've hardly played any of XII at all, just the demo years and years ago. The battle system turned me off, but I"m willing to give it a try if the game world and story and soundtrack immerses me.

Which do you recommend I spend time with this Thanksgiving and Christmas break?

Raistlin
11-09-2009, 06:51 PM
I will not discuss X-2 on the grounds that I still refuse to acknowledge its existence.

Anyway, if you're going to play both anyway, it doesn't matter at all in which order you play them. FFXII is very much a gameplay-oriented game. I too am more of a story kind of person, but even I at least enjoyed playing FFXII because of its engaging gameplay. However, if you don't like that aspect of the game... it's probably not right for you. Some of the characters are interesting (if minimally developed), and the plot is ok, though haphazardly moved only through disconnected cutscenes. So the rest of the game is "ok," but it's the gameplay which makes it worth playing, at least once (I doubt I would want to go through it again). And it is definitely NOT a quick play, so if that's what you desire at the moment, you probably shouldn't play it first.

Slothy
11-09-2009, 07:49 PM
I've hardly played any of XII at all, just the demo years and years ago. The battle system turned me off, but I"m willing to give it a try if the game world and story and soundtrack immerses me.

The demo only represented at best a fraction of the final games battle system. I'm not sure how anyone could not like it to this day though considering you can pretty much play it any way you choose and it was like a breath of fresh air after years of the tired old turn based systems.

Also, the story in FFXII isn't like the other games; it's very good and has plenty of depth and even more than enough character development but it is spartan in it's approach to telling it all. It doesn't waste hours on needless cut scenes. Instead it says what needs to be said then gets back to letting you play the damn game. This was also a change I appreciated greatly in XII. It also features the deepest and most developed world of any entry in the series. If you like finding out the backstory of the worlds in these games you will love XII.

Overall, I will go on record as saying that XII is the best game in the series since IX and easily in my top four or five in the series. Maybe even top three depending on my mood. Few games are as rich, enjoyable and satisfying as this one, especially after sinking over 80 hours into my first play through.

Kyros
11-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Overall, I will go on record as saying that XII is the best game in the series since IX and easily in my top four or five in the series.

I would agree just as X was the best since IX and VI was the best since V and II was the best since I...

Anyway if youve played X you might as well play X2 first I would think. Plus you already own it. Theres a ton of stuff to do in it but if youre ONE OF THOOOOOSE PEOPLE that just goes straight through the story and ignores all the sidequest stuff then I would think its pretty short (though I guess most of the FF's in this case would be a lot shorter if you did this).

Slothy
11-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Overall, I will go on record as saying that XII is the best game in the series since IX and easily in my top four or five in the series.

I would agree just as X was the best since IX and VI was the best since V and II was the best since I...

Anyway if youve played X you might as well play X2 first I would think. Plus you already own it. Theres a ton of stuff to do in it but if youre ONE OF THOOOOOSE PEOPLE that just goes straight through the story and ignores all the sidequest stuff then I would think its pretty short (though I guess most of the FF's in this case would be a lot shorter if you did this).

A wise guy huh? :p

Allow me to clarify by pointing out that IX is my second favourite in the series after VI and the only other game I'd even consider giving top three status to besides XII would be IV, though nostalgia aside I'd probably go with XII over it. XII is one of the best in the FF series and far and away better than entries like VII, VIII, X or the first three in my opinion.

Also, I wouldn't really recommend X-2. I did enjoy the battle system a lot, in fact I think it's one of the better battle systems in the series, but as far as story and characters go it's not just a poor excuse for a sequel to X, it's a pretty poor excuse of a game.

PeneloRatsbane
11-09-2009, 08:49 PM
X-2 is kid of cringe worthy, If you like Yuna Massaging Leblanc and making her moan then its the game for u
I'd suggest XII, the story is political and some of the characters are soso but i think its a really great game

leader of mortals
11-09-2009, 09:04 PM
Well, if you like story, FFXII is for you. The main story for FFX-2 might be 10 hours on a slow day, while 12 has a very good, involving story(although it may take a bit to get into)

The main difference is tone, however. 12 is a very serious tone with a little comic relief. In 10-2, I think everything might be comic relief:eep:

Dont get me wrong, I liked X-2, but it is really incomparable to the rest of the series. It would be like trying to compare Maplestory with WoW.

Wolf Kanno
11-10-2009, 03:25 AM
Its difficult to appreciate X-2 if you can't remember X, but for me, what little connection X-2 does have for X mostly spits on its face. The serious side of X-2 is ridiculous and utterly stupid, the silly side is pretty fun if you either enjoy Yuna, Rikku, and Lulu... I er mean Paine or if at least you know how to ignore them.

The battle system is a mix mash of good ideas and bad ideas all rolled into one and a majority of the game is basically sidequests as opposed to actual plot.

Concerning XII, I pretty much agree with Vivi22 that its possibly one of the best entries in the series despite being one of the most radically different in terms of design and tone. About the only problem XII really has is that the pacing is a bit off. There is actually a fair amount of plot and character development in the game but it lacks narrative monologues like other entries and these scenes tend to be separated by hours of gameplay. If you don't have a good memory, you tend to lose track of the plot cause it could be two to three hours before you get your next story scene once the game hits its stride.

Shiny
11-10-2009, 03:39 AM
If you're a straight male older than 16, I'd stay clear of FFX-2 as it's a very girly game. I think the battle system is better in FFX-2, but if you're going for more of a storyline that has characters you can at least some what relate to, play FFXII.

Bolivar
11-17-2009, 06:38 PM
XII is the more important game. Be advised - it's not really like VI-X at all. Others are right in that the story moments can be few and far between, discouraging for a game that bears the title "Final Fantasy", but what story moments you do come upon are incredible. The plot is very well done and the voice acting might be the best ever in a game.

Christmas
11-17-2009, 10:56 PM
X-2 (http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-x-x-2/71730-ffx-2-truth.html)

theundeadhero
11-18-2009, 12:04 AM
If you're looking for a quick, fun play through with a fast pace then I would recommend X-2.
If you're looking to lose yourself in an FF world that involves an investment of time and dedication I would recommend XII.

Other then that, it all comes down to individual opinion about what's good or not about either game.

Formalhaut
11-18-2009, 05:06 PM
Ok. I Admit. X-2 Is Pretty Girly. And Yes It Ain't The Best FF Or Sequal To X In The World.

HOWEVER. It Does Have A Decent Story, And In My Opinion One Of The Best Theme Tunes In FF (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6NILyB2KA8). Yes, It Is Girly Kind Off. Yes, You Do Massage Leblancs Back, But How You Ended Up Massaging Leblancs Back Is Quite Funny (Dressing Up As Leblancs Goons.. Infiltrating.. I Say No More) The Story Is Not All Cheesy Too. There Some Areas In The Game That Are Serious And Sad. Remember The Calms Started Now. Let Yuna Let Her Hair Down She Just Defeated Sin Forever. So What If She Wants To Frolick About In Her Songstress Costume Or Prance About In A Theif Outfit. Give Her A Break!

Anyway, The Battle System Is Fun Too. Sidequests? There Are MANY.

Theres The Via Infinito, Which Is 100 Floors Of Pure Monster. Once You Reach The 100th... Well A Clue Will Do.

Earthquakes Have Tremors.

The Storyline Is Decently Sized. Blasting Through The Missions Is Less Than 50% Of The Game (Got That From The Piggyback Guide. Yes I Have It) Meaning 50& Is Sidequests And Tiny Small Bits Like A Cutsence.

Anyway, FFX-2 Aint That bad.

silentenigma
11-20-2009, 04:23 AM
Use X-2 as a coaster for your drink while you play XII.

Mirage
11-20-2009, 04:41 AM
FFX-2 is fun if you value gameplay more than story and music!

BG-57
11-22-2009, 10:47 PM
FFX-2 will always be the poor stepsister to FFX; if you can get over that it's fun.

FFXII is a very good and solid game.

Mirage
11-23-2009, 12:07 AM
I thought combat in FFX-2 was a lot more fun than in FFXII.

Quindiana Jones
11-23-2009, 12:43 AM
You have good favourites. So I would suggest playing X-2 if you want to die inside, but play XII if you want to play a truly incredible game.

Barraza
11-23-2009, 07:56 AM
It's kind of funny that we're all saying FFX-2 was girly, but I played it as a seventeen-year-old male because it was girly. As in filled with hot women in scenes that were meant to be hot. You can see Leblanc's nipple, for God's sake.

But still, XII is a lot better. Of course, I love both of them, though, for wildly different reasons. People who hate one or the other kind of miss the point. (Besides, they're still bitching that it isn't as good as VII, which isn't exactly the best game in the series.)

Fynn
11-23-2009, 04:29 PM
Play X-2 only if you are prepared not to take it seriously. Enjoy the gameplay and try to enjoy the humour and try to ignore the rest. The only other good thing about X-2 is that it is probably the least linear JRPG I have ever played.
XII is sadly lacking in the humour departament, but it's a superb game nonetheless. The story is deep, though not so outright about it, and the gameplay is magnificent.
So basically, it's your call on what to play first.

silentenigma
11-24-2009, 05:41 AM
You have good favourites.

Black Magic Shopkeeper
11-25-2009, 05:17 AM
People who hate one or the other kind of miss the point. (Besides, they're still bitching that it isn't as good as VII, which isn't exactly the best game in the series.)

Oh, how right you are.
No, you shouldn't really be troubled by whether to play the games or not OR what order to play them in. Personally, I dislike them both for perplexing reasons, but then again I'm certain other people would like them.

It all depends on what theme you would prefer.