PDA

View Full Version : Little urges you get from playing games for long periods of time.

Jessweeee♪
11-10-2009, 06:56 AM
Go!

Tetris is by far the worst offender, I'm sure most of you will agree. You play for a good long while and then you're subconsciously thinking of what piece would best fit in the area you're looking at. I could use an L shaped one here between my desk and the wall, placed upside down.

Of all the games I've played, Katamari takes second place. I first started playing when I was learning to drive. Even before I had the confidence to drive to the driving school myself, I would have the urge to grab the wheel and steer my dad's truck into the traffic cones to roll them up. I still refuse to use music from the Katamari soundtracks when burning CDs for driving with. They're such perfect driving music, too.

The only other one to stick with me was one from the GTA series. Nothing too illegal, just this weird thing I always do in the games. Whenever I came to a stop light on foot and a pick-up truck happened to be there, I'd try to get the guy to jump onto the back and see how long he'd stay on, and where the truck would go. The last time I went to the post office (or maybe it was the convenience store), I came across a truck at a stop sign and nearly took a step forward to do that very thing.

Quindiana Jones
11-10-2009, 08:18 AM
I like banging prostitutes, then running them down when they get out the car and stealing their money. :bigsmile:

Mirage
11-10-2009, 09:06 AM
Sometimes after playing unreal tournament, I stop and wonder how random people would look like if splattered to a wall with a flak cannon.

Madame Adequate
11-10-2009, 10:11 AM
After playing any game which lets you shoot out glass I wander around mentally shooting every pane of glass I see. And by mentally I mean making a gun with my fingers like a six year old.

Elly
11-10-2009, 12:54 PM
playing SimCity has caused me to look at street layouts and neighborhoods in a new way, always thinking what would be better than what's already there... recently i went to San Antonio, Tx and the street layout made me wanna cry, it was horrible, like the streets were designed by a blind retarded monkey scribbling lines on a piece of paper and calling it a road network, none of it made any sense, where i live now the streets are a perfect grid...

G13
11-10-2009, 01:43 PM
After playing games like Elder Scrolls and Fallout 3 I feel the need to "save" before doing something that might be considered harmful to my health if things go badly.

After I played Star Wars Bounty Hunter I did the little jetpack jump thinking I'd keep going for some reason and fell down a flight of stairs. I did it without even thinking and felt rather stupid when I explained to the onlookers what had just happened.

Shoeberto
11-10-2009, 05:05 PM
After playing any game which lets you shoot out glass I wander around mentally shooting every pane of glass I see. And by mentally I mean making a gun with my fingers like a six year old.
Splinter Cell makes me size up lights and whether or not I can shoot them out.

GTA games always make me wish I had a button to do a rear-view mirror look while just running around on foot.

Skyblade
11-10-2009, 07:56 PM
playing SimCity has caused me to look at street layouts and neighborhoods in a new way, always thinking what would be better than what's already there... recently i went to San Antonio, Tx and the street layout made me wanna cry, it was horrible, like the streets were designed by a blind retarded monkey scribbling lines on a piece of paper and calling it a road network, none of it made any sense, where i live now the streets are a perfect grid...

The streets weren't designed for the high population that developed around them. The city grows and expands, but the roads never get restructured. Probably because ripping them down and rebuilding them from scratch to fit the amount of traffic they need to hold nowdays would be too costly, and interrupt business too much while the retrofit was going on. But that's why in a lot of places that started out as small towns, the road systems are really terrible.

Jessweeee♪
11-10-2009, 08:45 PM
My hometown feels like it was built in Sim City.

Flying Mullet
11-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Urban legend says that when the city planner sat down to design the downtown area for San Antonio that he was piss drunk.

I Took the Red Pill
11-10-2009, 09:27 PM
some of my dreams occur from the first person interface of halo 3, br and all.

Moon Rabbits
11-10-2009, 09:36 PM
You guys are weird.

All I ever get is moving arrows when I blink or close my eyes after playing DDR for a few hours. That's not an urge, though.

Yeargdribble
11-10-2009, 09:37 PM
I recently played a spate of NES games on emulator. Most were shmups and were ridiculously difficult. I programmed quicksave and quickloads onto my controller and spammed them constantly back and forth to get my way through the games...

Then I tried playing Metroid Prime and kept trying to tap my the Z button on the nunchuk (analogous to left shoulder) and B on the wiimote (analogous to right shoulder). It took me a good 30 minutes to stop trying to mess with save states while playing.

Raistlin
11-10-2009, 10:30 PM
You guys are weird.

Yeah, seriously.

Iceglow
11-10-2009, 10:32 PM
I learnt everything I know about retail shelf plans from Tetris that game sets you up for life if you play it right.

I also look at the world after playing MGS and think about how I could get from a - b without being spotted I have to admit Queensway tube station is going to need a chaff grenade or two.

NeoCracker
11-11-2009, 05:49 AM
Pft, you're all odd. Thoughts like this only serve to hurt us as gamers, as it lets others think we allow games to influence us.

I hope all of you get rolled up by a Katamari! :mad2:

Wolf Kanno
11-11-2009, 06:06 AM
I stopped playing GTA the day I was driving home from my job at the time, after playing GTA3 all night (you heard me right) and I saw a guy walking on the sidewalk. I had to stop myself from driving on the curve to run him over in his silly little suit.

After playing MGS for so long, I like to hide in cardboard boxes when I find them. My co-workers think I'm weird :eep:

Levian
11-11-2009, 06:32 AM
The only one I can think of right now is that when I was younger I would always walk up stairs in the same tempo as they would in the Resident Evil 1 stair loading screen.

Iceglow
11-11-2009, 09:08 AM
The only one I can think of right now is that when I was younger I would always walk up stairs in the same tempo as they would in the Resident Evil 1 stair loading screen.

so in other words it could take you an age to go up 10 stairs?

leader of mortals
11-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Well it isn't really an urge, but I often, after playing games like oblivion, where I could easily save wherever I wanted, I always think "there's no need to worry about doing this because I could always reload if I need to..." then "Oh, crap, I cant reload..." then I wish I could:D

Jiro
11-11-2009, 12:43 PM
I like to horde crap like I would in an RPG. Playing Rainbow 6: Vegas makes me scout rooms pretty effectively. After a long time of playing, I tend to slide along walls by instinct, and peek around corners. I like to do this from time to time anyway and tell people I'm looking out for zombies. They think I'm crazy but if they happen to appear at that exact moment, I'll be the only one (of them) ready.

I sometimes have trouble moving across games though, after a long period of playing. I remember playing Morrowind for ages, and then playing Halo 2 at a friend's place. I kept "jumping" and died from explosions :( the other big one is trying to melee with B/Circle. Funnily enough that happens most playing R6: Vegas where B is the goddamn grenade button :mad2:

blackmage_nuke
11-11-2009, 01:46 PM
When im moving in a large crowd I pretend im in a danmaku and the people are bullets and i get extra points for getting close without touching them.

Also from playing chess when i see tiles on the ground in the form of a grid I walk in L shapes like a knight

Also when im walking sometimes i walk up behind into someones "slip stream" and pretend i get a speed boost to rocket me around them, a handy hint i learnt from mario kart.

P4ine
11-11-2009, 02:06 PM
Ehw, I think there are quite some to think of..

But the most significant one would be imagening like every object engending sounds when they move or collide with another object.
Be it a punch from Street Fighter II, a jump from Super Mario World or something else. I've assumably been doing this like all the time I've lived so far.

Sometimes I actually speak the sounds out loud what makes the people around gaze at me.. what in turn is extremely annoying, but well, guess that's what I get :D

Old Manus
11-11-2009, 02:14 PM
I've played the Resident Evil games so much that I'm always subconsciously thinking about how I would get out if zombies busted into the area. What Levian said, too.

Soon I'm going to start walking around in a tank-like fashion.

~*~Celes~*~
11-11-2009, 05:14 PM

I lol'd :p

After playing The Sims 2 pretty much 24/7 for a week during summer vacation once, I started imagining I was a sim being controlled by a player, ended up cleaning the whole kitchen without thinking about it...it was weird.

Lionx
11-12-2009, 02:32 PM
When driving i usually think of Street Fighter stuff, theories in my head and being able to play certain situations out in my head to 'advance' without really playing. Like based on experience what the guy would probably think in this situation..and what can i do to mix it up. This only works if i know the game engine well enough to say 'that wouldnt/might work'....

<<< Dork

Bolivar
11-12-2009, 03:00 PM
used to think about how to stay behind people/out of their peripheral vision, behind columns etc when i first really got into MGS.

Would imagine the camera getting behind me and starting up the car/radio GTA style last year when IV came out.

VexNet
11-12-2009, 03:20 PM
I think I've gotta agree with most of what Jessweeee♪, Samson, Guardian XIII, Iceglow, Wolf Kanno, Levian and Bolivar say. I've been very well known to live in my own world most of the time.

From time to time I like thinking up scenarios that might happen. If I got involved in a war, I would like to think up ways to survive, If this world and the imaginary world combined (The ultimate crossover arc!) Sometimes even the Zombie Apocalypse (I loved the Zombie level in CoD:WaW).

I used to think up scenarios as if I was the main character of my own RPG. pick the right option etc..

It's mostly speculation to think of when I'm bored and/or on my own to entertain myself.

MadeOfApples
11-28-2009, 09:59 PM
Every time I enter a building, I instantly scan for every possible exit and threat. Its really not a bad or strange urge but still one that I developed from years of nonstop video games. Plus those strange urges to sneak around in shadows.

The worse thing I developed from playing video games is how I now horde EVERYTHING because of my years of playing those point-and-click adventure games as a child. Everything had a use in those games; in life, not so much.

Quindiana Jones
11-29-2009, 12:03 AM
I only just realised that my obsession with knowing where every security camera, hiding area, ambush point and exit is comes from the influence of games and movies. I will always be ready should I need to hide from terrorists with access to cameras. Or if I ever need to leave in a hurry, which is genuinely useful.

Also, the Assassin's Creed method of getting through crowds FREAKING WORKS. People don't appreciate it much, but who cares? ZOOM!

Slothy
11-29-2009, 12:50 AM
I stopped playing Gran Turismo 3 while I was in Drivers Ed. It had me thinking too much about the best way to keep my speed up in turns and whatnot. I won't say it's not useful for learning actual cool stuff like driving lines and such, but instructors and parents don't like it when you treat every trip out on the road like a race.

Whenever I play Mirror's Edge I also get the urge to run, climb, and jump off of stuff. In fact, when I first got it I would think about the best way to scale buildings and run across the rooftops I'd see on my way to work.

Sephex
11-30-2009, 07:40 AM
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s26/Sephex/megaman.png

Raistlin
11-30-2009, 08:13 AM
Haha, I can relate to that, considering last spring my roommate and I were playing through a lot of the old Megaman games again. Good times.

I don't think anything ever made me want to throw my controller as much as sports' games, though.

eestlinc
11-30-2009, 08:26 AM
Need for Speed II: Hot Pursuit always made me want to run from the cops and then ram them off a cliff.

Raistlin
11-30-2009, 04:57 PM
That would be Need for Speed III, eestlinc. Get it right, because it was one of my favorite racing games ever as a kid.

Jessweeee♪
11-30-2009, 05:35 PM
The only racing game I ever liked.

Kyros
11-30-2009, 08:16 PM
am I the only one who has never thrown a controller or done anything really b/c of gaming rage? I may get a little annoyed but just sigh and then stop holding myself back. For instance, when omega weapon in FFVIII got 3 turns in a row while my entire party was hasted one time I decided I was going to stop trying to beat him w/o aura in which next fight I had quistis as healer and squall/rinoa limit breaking his face in for a few mins straight ftw.

Elly
11-30-2009, 10:34 PM
nope, you're not the only one, i've never thrown a controller... usualy when it gets close to that point i put it down for a little while and try again later when i've had time to calm down... $30+ a piece is just too much to be destroying on a regular basis...

Shattered Dreamer
11-30-2009, 10:53 PM
Playing Fifa with my mates & losing 3-0 leads going on to lose on penalties pi$$es me off!

Playing COD online & getting killed by a grenade the moment I respawn 8 times in a row!

Both these give me the urge to throw the mouse/controller out the window!

Jessweeee♪
11-30-2009, 11:59 PM
Those weren't the kind of urges I meant, guys, but okay :confused:

Depression Moon
12-01-2009, 12:24 AM
I have gotten urges after playing Uncharted 2 to climb some random builidngs when I have a 30 min wait downtown when I wait for the bus. I also often have dreams about FF or Street Fighter.

krissy
12-01-2009, 01:39 AM
every time i see squirrels and crows and crap
i want to beat them with a stick
because im poor and need some money