PDA

View Full Version : Eyes on Awkward Moments

Unbreakable Will
11-10-2009, 04:34 PM
So I'm a college freshmen, and I have Communication 100, well we have to give two speeches for the class and we are on our first one this coming week. I skipped class for two days ( I hate it) and came on the day that we picked numbers for the speech orders, guess who got number one >.>
Well he made me get up in front of the class and look around (to get used to it he said) and had me look everyone in the eyes and act like I was talking with my hands and whatnot. It was one of the most awkward moments I've had at college, right up there with tripping over nothing and sitting alone everyday and hearing someone talking about it.

Have you ever had to do a speech?
and
Whats been one of your most awkward moments?

NeoCracker
11-10-2009, 04:41 PM
There was this one time I was talking to myself, but I ot to a point I couldn't think of a response and there was this awkward silence that followed.

The Last Oath
11-10-2009, 04:46 PM
I recited a line from The Lion Witch and the Wardrobe (cartoon version) outloud while thinking it in english class once. I guess you could call that akward cause the whole class was quite but it was preety funny. :)

Shattered Dreamer
11-10-2009, 05:05 PM
Yep I had to give speeches a few times in my freshman year of college. One time I turned up quite drunk to put it lightly & because the topic was so boring I hadn't bother doing any work. So while I was waiting for my turn I thought of some points on the topic & got up & winged it. I got a B for my public speaking so I was really happy:D

Jessweeee♪
11-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Hahaha I'm taking that class, too. I was supposed to deliver the first speech yesterday, but I hadn't even started on it so I just slept in. I'm 100% for sure failing now.

:(

demondude
11-10-2009, 06:57 PM
The 'ol hug-handshake mistake gets me every time.

Raistlin
11-10-2009, 07:10 PM
I was in a play for 8th grade and when I was on stage with a classmate the script called for certain props to be brought on, but the numbskulls backstage misplaced them so they were delayed for a few minutes. We tried to keep up some semblance of conversation onstage to make it seem natural, and we were told afterward it looked perfectly fine, but it sure felt incredibly awkward.

I usually do pretty well with speeches and presentations - at least if I put forth any effort.

P4ine
11-10-2009, 10:31 PM
oh yeah, it was on my uncle's fiftieth birthday when they held some kind of powerpoint presentation, which had some pictures and information about his past and so on. however, i had started to have a stretch and yawn and then it happened: all of sudden a belch cleaved through my gullet and sounded astonishingly strepitously through the room. the silence that followed was undescribably embarrasing, i'm telling you this had happened in front of like fifty people.

i have been yawning and stretching extremely carefully ever since, jeez

Christmas
11-10-2009, 10:38 PM
Just end every speech with the middle finger signage, that's what LITTLE MANUS alway do. :bigsmile:

Namelessfengir
11-10-2009, 10:50 PM
the stares.... makes me want to stab their eyes

Parker
11-11-2009, 08:15 AM
I am pretty good at speeches I come across as well-spoken and confident and elegant (as one prof told me). This is great until someone talks to me afterwards and I turn into the shivering, stuttering mess I always turn into on a one-to-one basis.

Jiro
11-11-2009, 09:05 AM
Once I said good morning to a player I was refereeing and it was 9pm. That made me feel like a complete dick. I have since worked on my conversation skills to a point where I can tell what time of day it is.

Rye
11-11-2009, 09:32 AM
A speech like a presentation?

I've never had a speech proper, and I dunno how good I'd do with that if I had to memorize stuff, but I love making presentations. I like them better than speeches because I always plan little things, like putting random stuff on people's seats before and saying that x people with that thing represent the statistic of people who've had a child taken from them by the government because their gay partner died and they didn't have custody per y number of people or what not. Plus I love making powerpoints.

I love presentations, even though I have a bit of a lisp and I get tongue tied easily. xD

Rantz
11-11-2009, 01:41 PM
Once I said good morning to a player I was refereeing and it was 9pm. That made me feel like a complete dick. I have since worked on my conversation skills to a point where I can tell what time of day it is.

Once, many years ago, I stepped onto the school bus and greeted the bus driver as I usually do, with "good morning"... Except this time I was walking in my own thoughts that my brain when startled with a greeting opportunity uttered "goodbye" instead. Then I was like, huh? By the time I realised what had gone wrong I had already received my crazy-person glares and whatnot.

My friend made a Facebook update today saying how he walked right into a pole while changing the song on his iPod and was helped back up by a group of amused Spanish tourists.

Breine
11-11-2009, 03:09 PM
I've done loads of presentations and such throughout my school years. I sometimes get really nervous, and other times I don't mind at all. It varies a lot.

Proper speeches at parties and such are not my thing at all, though. I'm just not that good at that stuff. My older brother is fantastic at giving speeches, though.

Unbreakable Will
11-11-2009, 03:28 PM
Well I have to memorize most of my 5-min speech while putting ordered prompts for myself on 3x5 notecards. Hopefully it will go over well, I picked the topic Maslow's Human Needs Theory and Why it is Relevant, it's a pretty good topic if I do say so myself.