PDA

View Full Version : I fucking hate tetris

NeoCracker
11-10-2009, 04:47 PM
It's nothing but a prolonged menial task, and the fact so many people like fitting shapes into holes like a damned chimp confounds me.

Flying Mullet
11-10-2009, 04:52 PM
Did you lose while waiting for a long skinny block to show up?

NeoCracker
11-10-2009, 04:53 PM
Not for many years. I actually wasn't to bad at the game for the brief period of my life I actually played it. :p

Shattered Dreamer
11-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Someone who hates Tetris holy smurf! I couldn't tell you why I like Tetris but it's as addictive as hell!

Jessweeee♪
11-10-2009, 07:17 PM
I hate it because everyone seems to be better at it than I am :(

Flying Mullet
11-10-2009, 07:27 PM
I forgot to add:

Maybe Tetris hates you! :monocle:

x~Agita~x
11-10-2009, 09:39 PM
What. You hate Tetris. For the sake of it? There's nothing much /to/ hate. Hating is just going to make you use lots of energy for no reason ^^ Go play some Tetris. Go on, now! *shoves you a controller and watches*

Rostum
11-10-2009, 09:47 PM
Ok.

Momiji
11-10-2009, 10:09 PM
I like games that don't play themselves for you and actually require reflexes and awareness :V

Freya
11-10-2009, 11:37 PM
I think of the tetris theme when I'm putting groceries on the conveyor belt at the store :bigsmile:

Tetris is awesome.

Araciel
11-10-2009, 11:54 PM
It's nothing but a prolonged menial task,

Like Final Fantasy?

rubah
11-11-2009, 01:51 AM
The music is badass at least, right?

NeoCracker
11-11-2009, 04:38 AM
It's nothing but a prolonged menial task,

Like Final Fantasy?

Sure, until you look at the fact that there is some variety in what you do, ever changing scenery and music, multiple ways to go about doing things, and a story.

But sure, I guess at it's core it's exactly the same. :greenie:

JKTrix
11-11-2009, 05:14 AM
Let's turn this into a game. Pick any video game and boil it down to its core concept.

Like Sonic. All you do is run to the right. How's that fun?

Tongue-in-cheek of course. This isn't meant to start arguments.

Also, this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwC544Z37qo).

I just noticed that the swear filter does not apply to the URL of this thread...

NeoCracker
11-11-2009, 05:43 AM
this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwC544Z37qo).[/spoiler]

As much as I hate tetris, that was epic.

Barraza
11-11-2009, 05:44 AM
Personally, this is the reason why I love Tetris. It's useless.

Agent Proto
11-11-2009, 06:28 AM

Holy crap. That was awesome. I watched that in its entirety and I am just so amazed. This guy is like a Tetris god of some sort. xD

Also, I don't hate Tetris. The game is fun and easy to pick up, but there are some versions of Tetris I do hate.

Wolf Kanno
11-11-2009, 06:33 AM
I really enjoy Tetris, it requires good reflexs and quick wits. Thus it has more going for it as being a fun title than a lot of games out there now. It also helps fulfill the needs of the little OCD gremlins that live in each and every one of us. :D

Momiji
11-11-2009, 06:49 AM
Personally, this is the reason why I love Tetris. It's useless.

Such unusual logic can be applied to any video game.

black orb
11-11-2009, 06:21 PM
>>> Is funny how Alexey Pajitnov became a millionaire just because of tetris..http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/rodv/Luca-Walk-Front.gif

Skyblade
11-11-2009, 07:12 PM

Holy crap. That was awesome. I watched that in its entirety and I am just so amazed. This guy is like a Tetris god of some sort. xD

Eh, I wasn't too impressed until the end. In my family we were brought up being told that using piece preview is cheating. :D Using three piece preview, and being able to hold a piece until you want to use it would be much, much worse, no matter how fast you go. Doing it invisible, however, was kind of awesome.

Momiji
11-11-2009, 09:24 PM
uh

you kind of need a piece preview when you can't even see the pieces fall, let alone when they're invisible

Skyblade
11-11-2009, 09:46 PM
uh

you kind of need a piece preview when you can't even see the pieces fall, let alone when they're invisible

They were falling that fast because he was dropping them. This is obvious when you look at the points where he messes up. Around 40 seconds in, he drops a blue block down and shifts it into place in a gap he had created by mis-dropping a piece. If they were fallling that fast because of the level's speed, that shift would not have work, it would have taken too long. Since it's him controlling the drop speed, the drop speed isn't a valid reason to be using piece preview.

Anyway, yes, it's fast and very well done, but I would like to see how well he does without piece preview.

Momiji
11-11-2009, 10:16 PM
I suppose you aren't familiar with Tetris: The Grand Master. That really is how fast the blocks are falling at the highest level.

It starts off slow, but instead of the level going up every 10 lines like in the original game, the level (max 999) goes up every time you drop a piece and every time you clear a line, with the exception of each time you go the next hundreds digit, which is entirely based on lines cleared. After level 500, there is no airborne phase of the blocks; they instantly appear at the bottom.

Here's a playthrough of someone playing the first game in the series.
Part 1 (levels 1-513) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSwL9YtCyeg)
Part 2 (levels 493-Complete (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8JwEQGw1P8)

Iceglow
11-11-2009, 10:17 PM
this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwC544Z37qo).

That is insanely epic, I am gobsmacked.

blackmage_nuke
11-11-2009, 11:53 PM
I dislike tetris due to its random nature, so peice preview atleast gives the game a stronger element of strategy rather than luck. Anyway *goes to play tetris on eoff comunity*

edit: also imo actually being able to utilise 3 peice preview would be rather difficult, thinking 3 moves ahead would take quite abit of training before it would actually help you.

Skyblade
11-12-2009, 12:45 AM
I dislike tetris due to its random nature, so peice preview atleast gives the game a stronger element of strategy rather than luck. Anyway *goes to play tetris on eoff comunity*

edit: also imo actually being able to utilise 3 peice preview would be rather difficult, thinking 3 moves ahead would take quite abit of training before it would actually help you.

To know how to strategically place all 3, yes, but it offers a substantial help to anyone regardless of skill level by serving as a gauge indicating how safe it is to build up right now. If you know that you don't have a straight line or even any L blocks, incoming, you will likely be a lot less likely to build up a huge stack, since you can get messed over by not having anything to clear out the lines you're building up. If you know you have one incoming, though, you can play a little less recklessly.

That is only multiplied when you have the ability to hold a particular piece until you need it.

Anyway, yes, it was an impressive display, especially at the end, as the invisible mode was psycho, but I am still interested in seeing more high-end Tetris without using piece preview. When I played the old, basic version back in Windows 3.0, I always turned off piece preview, and could still reach the highest levels. It was much more challenging than with piece preview, and I'd like to see how these guys do without that feature.

Raistlin
11-12-2009, 12:59 AM
Eh, I wasn't too impressed until the end. In my family we were brought up being told that using piece preview is cheating. :D Using three piece preview, and being able to hold a piece until you want to use it would be much, much worse, no matter how fast you go.

But as has been mentioned, that makes it much more of a game of skill, planning, and foresight instead of just reflexes and random luck.

I haven't played Tetris in many years. Not particularly fond of it, but I understand why some people like it so much.

Tavrobel
11-12-2009, 01:03 AM
thinking 3 moves ahead would take quite abit of training before it would actually help you.

lol no

You think at least three moves ahead (hopefully) when playing just about any turn-based RPG. You can predict damage amounts, and do instantaneous calculations in your head; even if you can't subtract 4 large numbers and get the right answer, you do get a sense of what is going on. Three piece preview is just an extension of that. An apt analogy would be driving; being able to see three feet ahead of you is much better than not being able to see at all. Otherwise, in my country, this is what I like to call "causes accidents." So, uhh, yeah, three piece preview takes a lot of the challenge/randomness of it. I wouldn't go so far as to say it makes the game less fun, a strategic mess, or that it's cheating. Depending on your definition of "time" I would say it takes all of two and a half lines.

Playing a lot of Tetris gives you skills that transfer to real life. I'd like to see someone being able to pack an house's worth of furniture into the smallest U-Haul without wasting space. Ohh wait, I can see me doing that all the time.

Momiji
11-12-2009, 01:14 AM
This thread made me download buy a copy of TGM1. It becomes too much for me around Level 180-ish. Tetris never was my strong game, even though I love it.

Raistlin
11-12-2009, 02:46 AM
lol no

You think at least three moves ahead (hopefully) when playing just about any turn-based RPG. You can predict damage amounts, and do instantaneous calculations in your head; even if you can't subtract 4 large numbers and get the right answer, you do get a sense of what is going on. Three piece preview is just an extension of that. An apt analogy would be driving; being able to see three feet ahead of you is much better than not being able to see at all.

I suppose what you said would be remotely analogous to Tetris if it wasn't being played at the speeds in that video. But in this case it's not.

The Man
11-17-2009, 11:35 AM
this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwC544Z37qo)
holy smurfing :bou::bou::bou::bou:

ReloadPsi
11-17-2009, 11:56 AM
I'm totally with NeoCracker here.

Just because you're good at something doesn't mean you have to like it. It's just one of those games where people accuse you of not giving it a chance, so out of spite you complete it (just to give it a chance) and then turn around and say "It's still :bou::bou::bou::bou:".

The Man
11-17-2009, 11:58 AM
That's true, but where the argument falls apart is that Tetris isn't :bou::bou::bou::bou:.

ReloadPsi
11-17-2009, 12:04 PM
That's true, but where the argument falls apart is that Tetris isn't :bou::bou::bou::bou:.

Well I suppose I was talking in general really. I'll admit that I do actually quite like Tetris :)

Ultima Shadow
11-18-2009, 02:06 PM
No other game has ever bored me as much as Tetris has. Combined with the fact that it's so ridiculously popular (making it ridiculously overrated in my eyes), this results in Tetris being my personal number one most hated game. So yeah, I'm with Neo 100% on this.