PDA

View Full Version : Synaesthesia

Yar
11-12-2009, 01:07 AM
So, long story short, I told someone that I think that the number seven is orange. I really didn't think anything of it, but she was surprised. "omg! Do you have synesthesia? That is so cool!" My response was "what is synesthesia?"

So, do you associate uncommon things with each other? Honestly I think it might be why I have a good memory.

Freya
11-12-2009, 01:19 AM
No I don't. Ask psy, my memory is horrible. :/ I don't associate anything with anything. My memory is so crappy. t takes someone to jog my memory for a bit before I remember it.

Levian
11-12-2009, 02:29 AM
æ

Please don't use our alphabet

Raistlin
11-12-2009, 02:42 AM
I have a really good memory... for certain things anyway. I don't consciously associate things; I just remember them.

One exception is names. I cannot remember names of acquaintances I meet -- it will often be weeks of seeing the same classmate briefly before I remember their name consistently. It's probably associated with the fact that I don't give a crap about every random person I meet.

nik0tine
11-12-2009, 02:49 AM
I interpret sounds as colors, and to a much lesser extent numbers and letters. I think the numbers and letters, however, isn't real synesthesia because I think both '7' and and 'A' are red and there are obvious social reasons for that.

I see no justification in feeling that the key of G major is red, though, even though I do.

rubah
11-12-2009, 02:56 AM
æ

Synesthesia (also spelled synæsthesia or synaesthesia, plural synesthesiae or synaesthesiae)—from the Ancient Greek σύν (syn), "together," and αἴσθησις (aisthēsis), "sensation"

pfft your alphabet. Ever read Æsop's Fables? :D

Yar
11-12-2009, 03:04 AM
æ

xD I didn't put that there! :p

Jessweeee♪
11-12-2009, 03:41 AM
It's not exactly synesthesia, but for the longest time whenever someone said something like "good night" to me, I would picture pots and pans.

Jojee
11-12-2009, 04:13 AM
Maybe~~
http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-chat/110682-what-color-does-your-food-taste-like.html

Levian
11-12-2009, 05:59 AM
æ

Synesthesia (also spelled synæsthesia or synaesthesia, plural synesthesiae or synaesthesiae)—from the Ancient Greek σύν (syn), "together," and αἴσθησις (aisthēsis), "sensation"

Hey, if you love it so much why don't you put it in your alphabet? No? Didn't think so! thinking yer too good for the æ. :roll2

Bunny
11-12-2009, 07:30 AM
I'm colorblind so I don't associate anything with colors.

krissy
11-12-2009, 07:33 AM
after rez i associate beats with shooting geometric shapes

Jiro
11-12-2009, 09:07 AM
I know I do (associate uncommon things with eachother), but I can't really think of any specific examples. I associate people with colours I guess.

Actually hang on I have some examples. Usually I associate songs or movies or games (or parts thereof) with people or other things. A friend (who had moved away) once called me while I was playing FFVI. I was in Figaro Castle at that point, so I always remember him when I play that part.

Rantz
11-12-2009, 11:56 AM
It's not exactly synesthesia, but for the longest time whenever someone said something like "good night" to me, I would picture pots and pans.

:|

Booga
11-12-2009, 12:47 PM
I associate music and colour, one of my friends who works in lighting said I'd be really good at gig lighting because of this.

Badge
11-12-2009, 01:12 PM
I associate music and colour, one of my friends who works in lighting said I'd be really good at gig lighting because of this.

Most musicians and anyone infact would probably relate colours and music (chords, keys, notes etc) because of the 'feel' or 'texture'. I'm currently doing some composition work on seasons and because of this I am relating chords and colours. So for summer I would use 'warm' notes, major keys, which to me are red, yellow, orange etc, then winter 'cold', blue, minor, diminished, etc.

I think things like this are greatly influenced by memory and the subliminal mind....mebbe :)

Timekeeper
11-12-2009, 02:44 PM
Most musicians and anyone infact would probably relate colours and music (chords, keys, notes etc) because of the 'feel' or 'texture'.

Not me. Not in the slightest...

This might explain a lot about my lack of musical abilities.

rubah
11-12-2009, 03:41 PM
æ

Hey, if you love it so much why don't you put it in your alphabet? No? Didn't think so! thinking yer too good for the æ. :roll2

I have put it! That's why I edited the thread title :D

Yar
11-12-2009, 03:44 PM
I'm colorblind so I don't associate anything with colors.I'm colorblind too! :D That's what's so weird about it. xD

And it's not just numbers either. Letters; and now that I'm learning Japanese... :(

Meat Puppet
11-12-2009, 04:21 PM
i see black ppl as lollipops :confused:

PeneloRatsbane
11-12-2009, 04:29 PM
:D I've got this. When I was a little girl my family thought i was crazy and would ask me what colour each number was as like a whimsical little trick, i think the thought i was just eccentric, I was shocked to learn that people thought it was strange. Then like 5 years ago my friend saw a documentary on it and rung me up to say "hey ur not as crazy as we thought"
LoL
1-white
2-yellow
3-bright green
4-pink
5-red
6-blue
7-orange
8-Dark green
9-black
10-grey

and it goes on, letters as well