PDA

View Full Version : gem box

littlewolf
11-12-2009, 05:32 PM
hey everyone i know its considered a rare item but is it possible to get more than one gem box or Economizer without a game cheating device

Flying Mullet
11-12-2009, 06:03 PM
Economizers can be stolen from the Aquila (http://figarocastle.homemade-websites.com/ff6/enemies.php?singleEnemy=Aquila) in the Phoenix Cave and are dropped by Brachosaur (http://figarocastle.homemade-websites.com/ff6/enemies.php?singleEnemy=Brachosaur) in the Dinosaur Forest. You could also wager your Gem Box for an Economizer at the Coliseum, but that would be incredibly stupid.

There is no way to obtain more than one Gem Box in the SNES and PSOne version of FFVI. But in the GBA version, you can steal a Gem Box (called a Soul of Thamasa in the GBA version) from the last Glutterns in the Soul Shrine.

You can also play around with Relm's Sketch bug in an attempt to gain hundreds of either of the items, but there's no guarantee of what you'll end up with, or if any of your saves will be erased.

EDIT: My hosting site is in the process of moving servers right now, so the links for the enemies might give you a 404 error until the move is completed.

Saber
11-12-2009, 11:35 PM
What ^ he said is true. Although it would be cool to have a rare way to obtain the gemboxs there is not.

SNES = sketch bug
ps1 = Gameshark
GBA = soul shrine

Those are they ways to get what you want.

blackmage_nuke
11-13-2009, 10:20 PM
If you run the snes version on an emulator you could also use a rom hack but unfortunately theres no other way

Umaro_Smash
11-14-2009, 09:07 PM
If you run the snes version on an emulator you could also use a rom hack but unfortunately theres no other way

For SNES, you can use the Game Genie code AA24-E7D8. This code makes each enemy drop an item after battle. Each enemy has two possible items it will drop, one that it will drop regularily (like 80% of the time) and one that it will drop rarely.

If you use that code and fight a Rhobite, it will usually drop a Dragon Horn, but on occasion will drop a Gem Box.

So there's another (cheating) way of getting a Gem Box in the SNES version.

I don't usually use Gem Box, it makes the game way too easy, especially when paired with an Economizer.

blackmage_nuke
11-15-2009, 10:17 AM
Which is why the game conveniently only gives you one :p

Zeromus
11-16-2009, 10:16 PM
Economizers you can get many... I have about 6 economizers in my "all life" save in my Snes catridge of FFVI... I got some of them from the Brachosaurs at the Dinosaur Forest, and the others in the Phoenix cave (where you get Locke in WoR) from the Aquilas. It's difficult to find an Aquila, but when they appear, it's easy to steal the economizer (easier than getting them from the Brachosaurs)... I used to control them with Relm and then steal from them with Locke, with the thief enhancer relics, and specially equipped to hit low hp amounts, so I didn't kill the Aquila until I had gotten the economizer... Curing her if necessary...
It took me a lot of time collecting my economizers, but I love the relic *-* ...

About Gem box, I'm almost sure that you could get more than one, If I'm not wrong, there was some item you could exchange at the coliseum for a Gem box, I don't remember well... I will try to check again in my saves... But I'm almost sure you could get more than one... =/ ...But well... If you guys say you could get only one, I can believe you, but I still have the impression I got a gem box at the coliseum once... =/
Maybe I'm confusing it with something else (even thought is hard to confuse a gem box xD...but well, it's been a while since the last time I played FF6)... I will surely check my saves again... =/

Umaro_Smash
11-16-2009, 10:32 PM
Economizers you can get many... I have about 6 economizers in my "all life" save in my Snes catridge of FFVI... I got some of them from the Brachosaurs at the Dinosaur Forest, and the others in the Phoenix cave (where you get Locke in WoR) from the Aquilas. It's difficult to find an Aquila, but when they appear, it's easy to steal the economizer (easier than getting them from the Brachosaurs)... I used to control them with Relm and then steal from them with Locke, with the thief enhancer relics, and specially equipped to hit low hp amounts, so I didn't kill the Aquila until I had gotten the economizer... Curing her if necessary...
It took me a lot of time collecting my economizers, but I love the relic *-* ...

Funny you say that, because I'm the opposite. I picked up 10 economizers just from fighting Brachosaurs (got lucky, I guess) and rarely try to get them from Aquila because I find that's just too hard to find them. Is there any place in the Phoenix Cave where Aquila shows up more often?

Zeromus
11-17-2009, 01:13 AM
Funny you say that, because I'm the opposite. I picked up 10 economizers just from fighting Brachosaurs (got lucky, I guess) and rarely try to get them from Aquila because I find that's just too hard to find them. Is there any place in the Phoenix Cave where Aquila shows up more often?
I don't remember a place in specific in the Phoenix Cave when I was playing, but I can tell you I prefer and recommend Aquila over Brachosaur. Cause for Aquila you need to steal and for Brachosaur you need them to drop the item for you... And we can control stealing more than dropping rates...
So, being both of them rare enemies, even thought Brachosaurs appear a little bit more often than Aquilas, Aquilas will always give you an economizer when you steal them (if you apply the correct strategy: High thief enhances, High luck percentages and don't killing them 'til stealing them)... but Brachosaurs won't always give you an economizer by dropping it after a battle and you have less things you can do to make them drop it...
In other words, you can fight 30 Brachosaurs and get less economizers than fighting 5 Aquilas... =)

The Man
11-17-2009, 11:39 AM
Economizers are useless. Just use Osmose; it's so consistently effective in this game that it completely eliminates the need to conserve MP.

Christmas
11-17-2009, 11:43 AM
Is the time of Atma Weapon with Offerings not the trendy thing in the new version of FF VI? :(

Zeromus
11-17-2009, 08:37 PM
Economizers are useless. Just use Osmose; it's so consistently effective in this game that it completely eliminates the need to conserve MP.
I prefer not losing turns in casting Osmose and just not being worried about how many MP I have left when traveling between save points =)!

The Man
11-18-2009, 08:59 AM
Even if you use Ultima every freaking turn, you can still go twelve turns without having to use Osmose. What's the point of wasting a relic spot to save a turn every four battles when you can put something actually useful like a Ribbon in there?

Kyros
11-18-2009, 11:00 PM
Gem box is nice but genji gloves + offering always does it for me :)

Zeromus
11-18-2009, 11:28 PM
Even if you use Ultima every freaking turn, you can still go twelve turns without having to use Osmose. What's the point of wasting a relic spot to save a turn every four battles when you can put something actually useful like a Ribbon in there?

And how are you going to recover mp every 4 battles in a dungeon where the save points are kinda distant (when you'll have at least more than 4 battles, maybe 8, 16, or more between save points)... I don't like to make abuse of recovery items, I usually have few of them in my item lists and they are kept aside waiting to be used in a dangerous moment in a boss battle... The reason for this is just because I don't want to have to mind about how many elixirs, or whatever I have left...
Of course you can dedicate a battle to recover mp using Osmose, but I just prefer to fight freely and don't mind about how much mp I have left, and then recover it sleeping at a save point just if I need it... and then going again to fight without thinking about it...
This way I can even be hours visiting lots of different dungeons and different places without the need of stopping to recover and that makes really nice the journey =)...

And BTW, why do you need so much a relic spot if this game have very powerful stats for the characters?

Anyways... Of course it depends on how you like to play... It depends on how much magic users you use in your party and how do you like to fight the battles...
I, as I said, prefer to not worry about how much of this or that thing I have left and just fight....

I have been playing with parties configured mainly on strength, and there of course I make no use of economizers cause it's not necessary to use much magic, of course I make the use of strength or fighters related relics... But if it is about magic users we are talking about (that is the context in a thread about economizers and gem box) I really think and recommend the use of economizers is a very good option...

Is there something better than having all magics, even the more expensive ones, to cost 1 mp?
If I were to a store and the store keeper offered me all his articles, even the more expensive ones, at $0.1 it would be awesome xD!

Anyways, it's a thing about choices... We choose what we think it's more comfortable for us :B

Saber
11-19-2009, 03:19 AM
In other games 1 MP isn't as special, but in this game you get the option of 1 Mp per spell and two spells at a time. It works very nicely as does genji/offering. Can it make the game easy? Yes, but it doesn't hide the fact that its a nice set up. I remember in FF10 Yuna and Lulu had 1 Mp cost on their weapon but with the fighters it wasn't worth it to me. So pretty much its a nice set up but to some it isn't worth it.

I see the point on how using Osmose wastes a turn. I've been fighting a long time on the veldt and Having one MP cost in my opinion is better then wasting a turn for all characters that need MP. I how ever don't have Economizers on all my characters and to know that Osmose works is a blessing. I just don't diss the economizers/gembox combo at all. Its fast its easy and I can just rely on one character to spam spells. Save the others MP if I need it.

The Man
11-19-2009, 07:34 AM
People seriously have enough trouble with battles in this game that using Osmose occasionally is a serious hindrance to progress? Let's face it, you're not going to be casting Ultima every round except maybe in some of the toughest boss fights, so with 500 MP you probably won't need to recharge MP more than every ten battles or so. Hell, I rarely even find myself casting spells above level two, simply because they're so cost-ineffective above that level in this game (if memory serves, FFV is the only game from this era where higher-level spells are more cost-effective).

Obviously everyone's playing style may vary. I can see the point in using an economizer in a long stretch of grinding, like say on the Veldt, or if you're running a low level game, but in normal combat it's pointless as long as you pay attention to your MP level, which is a trivial task.

Saber
11-19-2009, 07:59 AM
Truthfully though I've played the game like 3 or 4 times and have never really used Osmose. I think it is a great spell and should be more valuable throughout the Final Fantasy series. I loved the Drain just as much and in FF8 where you could junction it to your status attack was brilliant. You just can't beat two spells for 2 MP in this game.

Flying Mullet
11-19-2009, 12:46 PM
Okay, okay, we get it. You're each very attached to your style of play. :smash:

RedPouch
11-25-2009, 01:20 AM
Without the Celestriad I end up using Osmose pretty often. For better or worse, this basically allows you to use your most powerful [and most MP-consuming] spells and keep your party fully healed on a very regular basis without consequence. This makes the game rather easy. Add this to the fact that gaining access to Ultima, Curaga, Arise, and Reraise is quite easy once you get the second airship, and the entire last half of the game is made extremely easy.

Osmose is basically like having an unlimited supply of X-Ethers. Do people actually even use Tents in this game?

The Man
11-25-2009, 02:53 AM
I don't think I've used a tent in the world of ruin since like the first time I played the game. Maybe a couple in the world of balance.

Christmas
11-25-2009, 02:54 AM
I uses tent, just to see the various different tents that is setup by different characters! :bigsmile:

Flying Mullet
11-25-2009, 01:06 PM
I use tents when leveling in the Dinosaur Forest, but that's about it.

Saber
11-25-2009, 04:29 PM
I perfer sleeping bags over tents in Dino forest cause I like to either keep 3 of my characters stoned or just level 1 up at a time. Tents though is something I loved about FF games. I mean healed at save points can make it a little too easy.

silent_symphony
11-25-2009, 04:45 PM
Sleeping Bags are nice to use, but Tents are better(same effects though).. And yeah like Christmas said, there are various styles depending on who is the leader of your party..

Flying Mullet
11-25-2009, 04:55 PM
If you never use tents then you can't discover the various color combinations they have for various characters. :(

Greatermaximus
12-04-2009, 03:10 AM
You'd think Kefka'd equipped himself with it instead of leaving it a tower to steal. Thank goodness he doesn't know double ultima and/or the vanish doom trick like we do.

Not worthy of a topic but as for equipment did the Hero Rings pair like the Earrings? And late game some equipment isn't good anymore anyway. And everyone and their mother has done offering gengi glove at some point.

Sorry but I have to point this stuff out. ;)

Flying Mullet
12-04-2009, 05:35 PM
You'd think Kefka'd equipped himself with it instead of leaving it a tower to steal.
Kefka was so arrogant and sure of himself in his god-like status that he probably thought that a trinket like the Gem Box was beneath him and it would be seen as a sign of weakness to rely on it. (At least, that's my way of justifying the fact that the developers offered a powerful relic as a reward for a tricky dungeon ;))

Not worthy of a topic but as for equipment did the Hero Rings pair like the Earrings?
You know, I don't know. It would be fun to do some analysis of this later in the game when you have two of each and see what happens. Take a character to the Dinosaur Forest so you'll have a decent chance of fighting the same enemy continuously (Tyranosaur) and then cast 5-10 of the same spell, once with no relic, then with one Earring, then two, and then with one and two of the Hero Rings. Then to top it off, one of each the Hero Ring and the Earring. Put the numbers in a spreadsheet and see how they all average out.

I think you just gave me a mini project for later today. :p

EDIT: Okay, it's done: http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-vi/128510-earrings-atlas-armlets-versus-hero-rings-case-study.html

RedPouch
12-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Speaking of Kefka and leveling off of dinosaurs in that silly forest:

Kefka Really Didn't Expect You to Spend Thirty Hours Leveling Up Before Fighting Him | Hardcasual (http://www.hardcasual.net/2009/10/16/kefka-really-didn%E2%80%99t-expect-you-to-spend-thirty-hours-leveling-up-before-fighting-him/)

Maybe some of you have read this already, but it made me laugh when I read it.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden">[!]Session data[/!]<input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Flying Mullet
12-09-2009, 01:03 PM
Sabin counters by punching Kefka’s face off.
My favorite line. :)

The Man
12-10-2009, 04:39 AM
That was great.