PDA

View Full Version : Official US and European Main Theme Song~

The Summoner of Leviathan
11-13-2009, 06:10 PM
So in a recent video released by Squeenix, (http://www.joystiq.com/2009/11/13/final-fantasy-xiii-launches-march-9-2010-on-ps3-xbox-360/)they announced that Leona Lewis will be doing the official English theme song for the European and NA release. It will be the song "My Hands" from her new album "Echo" that is to be released Nov. 16th of this year.

:D

FYI, you can find the song on Youtube (Thanks Lekana/Freya!).

Discuss! :D

Freya
11-13-2009, 06:30 PM
:) I like the song. I don't get why all the fanbois are all "OMIGAWD THIS RUINS IT! This doesn't fit the game!" Well how do they even know unless they've gotten an advanced copy of the game to have insight that others lack!

I think they can complain later about how crap the song is but let it actually play in the game first! Then you can say it does or doesn't fit.

JKTrix
11-13-2009, 06:37 PM
Don't care for the song really, but it's not that big of a deal.

In other news, Microsoft has launched a HARDCORE advertising blitz over Twitter. Xbox.com | Final Fantasy XIII (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/splash/f/finalfantasyXIII/)

Dreddz
11-13-2009, 07:01 PM
Can't believe Square actually made that video. I mean, it was cool that they showed some new footage, and announced the release date. But man, there is something so lame about that host. Was it really necessary to be that smug?

In other news, Microsoft has launched a HARDCORE advertising blitz over Twitter. Xbox.com | Final Fantasy XIII

I hope Microsoft try not to get their hands all over FFXIII and treat it like their own game like MW2. Its cool that its on the 360 and all, but FFXIII should be headlined on the PS3.

EDIT - Oh yeah, and that song. Its pretty forgettable to be honest.

JKTrix
11-13-2009, 08:09 PM
That's exactly what's going to happen. MW2 isn't the only major multiplatform game MS has plastered themselves all over.

Realistically though, the long-time Final Fantasy fans are still going to buy it for the PS3.

Wolf Kanno
11-13-2009, 08:26 PM
How interesting... So the U.S. and PAL regions get a western singer and song for the main theme.

I don't care for it personally, it sounds like the generic girl pop music I have to listen to everyday at work. Course I haven't like a "Main Theme" song in the series since IX but oh well.

Seraphic
11-13-2009, 10:59 PM
I dunno, if you think about it,they've had pop songs for themes before, just that it was by a j-pop star.
I don't really know how I feel about the song being the main theme since they always try to make instrumentals and other songs that coincide or build up to it, and I just don't think an instrumental of this song would be compelling enough for the game.
But I agree, we should wait and see what the games like before judging.

scrumpleberry
11-13-2009, 11:25 PM
Tbh, listening to this song, it's like no different from using J-pop. Shrug!

I still love the ambient theme music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M7lcDf_0e8) on the official site majorly. So as long as the majority of the soundtrack is awesome, I don't mind.

Raistlin
11-14-2009, 12:33 AM
I don't care for it personally, it sounds like the generic girl pop music I have to listen to everyday...

Yeah, definitely. But it's hardly a deal-breaker for me. Although it is kinda weird that they're changing up some of the music for the Western releases.

Jiro
11-14-2009, 01:27 PM
This is a strange change of plan, but I see no faulting it. The only thing that would annoy me is if the Japanese version's theme is better than this song. But even so, it's not a big deal. I like their attempt at something different, at least for them.

UnzXAnime Junkie
11-14-2009, 10:15 PM
I cant wait till march 9 2010 FF13 commes out in north america YESSSSSS Good Bye SOical Life

ljkkjlcm9
11-15-2009, 09:16 PM
I feel the most important music isn't usually the theme anyways. The songs that stand out to me are really Battle/Boss themes. The song isn't bad, but nothing spectacular either.

THE JACKEL

Levian
11-15-2009, 10:19 PM
I'm not bothered at all as they're probably not going to play this song every time we use a Hi Potion. I bet they'll play it once throughout the whole game, like our other lyriced FF themes, and that'll be all.

Sword
11-16-2009, 04:21 AM
One thing different about this from other theme songs is that this is a very generic western pop song that would be (as standard) listened to by girls who wouldn't even know what FF is. The other themes that were in english were more like "nice" or "beautiful" songs like FF8, FF12, and even The Bouncer (The Bouncer's theme song is awesome. FF8/12 not so much).

On a side note: Leona Lewis looks aweful in that photo they used in the announcement video. Is that the album cover or something?

Moon Rabbits
11-16-2009, 11:05 AM
Cool! I like Leona Lewis.

Freya
11-16-2009, 06:29 PM
One thing different about this from other theme songs is that this is a very generic western pop song that would be (as standard) listened to by girls who wouldn't even know what FF is. The other themes that were in english were more like "nice" or "beautiful" songs like FF8, FF12, and even The Bouncer (The Bouncer's theme song is awesome. FF8/12 not so much).

On a side note: Leona Lewis looks aweful in that photo they used in the announcement video. Is that the album cover or something?

Really? Do you pay attention how many girls LOVE FF? xD I mean look at the female ratio on this forum alone. We're pretty unique with all the females we have.

Maybe it would actually BRING people to FF. "Oh my boyfriend has a xbox and I heard my fav artist leona lewis did the theme song, maybe i'll get that game so I can play a game too Now we can bond over gaming!" If that's the type of girls you're referencing.

And yeah I think that's the cover of the album.

Ouch!
11-16-2009, 07:08 PM
Really? Do you pay attention how many girls LOVE FF? xD I mean look at the female ratio on this forum alone. We're pretty unique with all the females we have.

Maybe it would actually BRING people to FF. "Oh my boyfriend has a xbox and I heard my fav artist leona lewis did the theme song, maybe i'll get that game so I can play a game too Now we can bond over gaming!" If that's the type of girls you're referencing.

I think you're really overestimating how significantly this choice will impact the game's consumer-base, but I understand what you're getting at.

At any rate, the song is alright, but nothing I particularly care for. Then again I haven't particularly cared for many of the Final Fantasy vocal theme songs, so I'm not particularly concerned.

Sword
11-17-2009, 07:57 PM

I wasn't talking about girls in general, I said "girls who wouldn't even know what FF is". Specifically the types in the attached picture.

Anyway I can't see this song suiting any FF. It sounds like a track from a Disney film!

Edge7
11-29-2009, 05:22 AM
Well, personally I prefer the japanese version. This song really just sounds plain, I could probably listen to this on any r&b station I tune to. I'm not saying that My Hands it's a bad song or that Ms. Lewis is a bad singer, I just feel a tad ripped off. Like Square just said "hey let's change the theme for western audiences" and slapped someone else's song in the game.

Also, I heard that the theme being replaced was the only Uematsu song in the game, being a rapid Nobuo fanboy, I'm a little mad about that.

Nifleheim7
11-29-2009, 05:55 AM
Personally what worries me the most so far (in terms of audio) is the English voice acting.Judging by the English trailers i have a very bad feeling about it.

For the song i don't really care.I'll probably mute my tv when it starts playing.:D

Necronopticous
11-29-2009, 06:38 AM
If this song is your greatest worry about Final Fantasy XIII then I can only logically conclude that you missed the gameplay footage.

Nifleheim7
11-29-2009, 08:06 AM
^Are you referring to me?:confused:

Necronopticous
11-29-2009, 08:55 AM
That was a general statement.

Edge7
11-29-2009, 09:12 PM
If this song is your greatest worry about Final Fantasy XIII then I can only logically conclude that you missed the gameplay footage.
Aww.... but I like the juggling ADD-esque combo making ATB system. I feel it combines the best of FF12 (which I didn't really like) and previous games.

On a side note, I've found that I actually like the song to an extent ... They just could've at least had Leona Lewis sing something actually made for the game, or sing an americanized version of the theme, like they did in the Tales games (either they make an orchastrasted piece or they remake the song without the vocals) or the Kingdom Hearts games (Passion->Simple and Clean, Hikari->Sanctuary).

Yunalesca
11-29-2009, 10:35 PM
The song's grown on me quite a bit, actually. I heard it in a very good AMV that combined some of the trailer footage. Overall, I don't like Leona Lewis' music, but I can put up with this one I think. Especially if the game takes a bittersweet/sad tone (which it's looking like it might).

Regarding the voice acting, I'm somewhat glad to see Troy Baker penned as Snow's VA (over on IMDB), because he tends to be pretty good with voice acting. Not sure about the others though. I've played some games with REALLY BAD voice acting and seen them through...I wish they'd give the option to switch between Japanese and English acting though, just in case the English really is awful.

Garnie
11-29-2009, 11:54 PM
Don't care for the song really, but it's not that big of a deal.

In other news, Microsoft has launched a HARDCORE advertising blitz over Twitter. Xbox.com | Final Fantasy XIII (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/splash/f/finalfantasyXIII/)

thats so crap the uk cant get the little chocobo >:(

I like the fact that square are trying something new and the song it self is quite good. although it worry's me a little how there going to incorporate it into the game. like what was said, it does sound like that sticking it in for the sheer hell of it. Square have been disappointing me recently. when they brought out 12 they promised excellent story and fab graphics! what they really meant was that the took so much time making fantabulos graphics they forgot to make the story. doy lol.

sephireland
12-04-2009, 10:34 AM
The trade mark incessant scale raping that made Lewis popular is all over this and it's frankly, AWFUL. However, as has been pointed out, it's not a big part of the game and will not stop me playing it.

Fynn
12-04-2009, 11:54 AM
Well, personally I prefer the japanese version. This song really just sounds plain, I could probably listen to this on any r&b station I tune to. I'm not saying that My Hands it's a bad song or that Ms. Lewis is a bad singer, I just feel a tad ripped off. Like Square just said "hey let's change the theme for western audiences" and slapped someone else's song in the game.

Also, I heard that the theme being replaced was the only Uematsu song in the game, being a rapid Nobuo fanboy, I'm a little mad about that.

That song is not Nobuo's. Nobuo was supposed to compose the theme song, but in the end he didn't. However, he will compose the entirety of the FFXIV soundtrack.

As for the song, it's pop. Be it jpop or western pop, I don't consider pop actually music. It's not a large part of the game, so it's not that big a deal, but pop will stay an unnecessary waste of brainspace in my eyes.

Bolivar
12-04-2009, 08:46 PM

Yeah, but not all girls like that kind of music, and I would venture and guess that most on this site don't like that kind of music.

The kind of people that like Leona Lewis probably have no interest in Final Fantasy.

The song's ok, though!

Moon Rabbits
12-06-2009, 03:54 AM

That song is not Nobuo's. Nobuo was supposed to compose the theme song, but in the end he didn't. However, he will compose the entirety of the FFXIV soundtrack.

As for the song, it's pop. Be it jpop or western pop, I don't consider pop actually music. It's not a large part of the game, so it's not that big a deal, but pop will stay an unnecessary waste of brainspace in my eyes.

What. That doesn't even make sense.

Fynn
12-06-2009, 12:49 PM

What. That doesn't even make sense.

To me it does. I just look for different stuff in music... But this topic is not about my views about music. It's about why people love or hate the new song.

Mirage
12-08-2009, 01:21 PM
That's like saying "I don't consider hollywood action movies to be movies". I don't care if you like it or not, but to say something that is definitely music isn't music just cause you don't like it just makes you sound either extremely arrogant, or just extremely illogical.

On topic:

I don't care about the theme song of FF13, but then again that crap in FF12 wasn't too good either.

Super Christ
01-09-2010, 09:52 PM
It irks me a bit, mostly because it smacks to me of marketing douchebaggery. "We don't have time to record an english version of this song, and why would americans want to hear a song in japanese? Throw some other pop song in instead!"

It isn't going to ruin the game experience for me, but I would prefer it to be as close to the original game as possible, except with english text and voice actors.

'Course, what would be really awesome is if in the menu they had the option to change the language, like they do in FF1 for the PSP.

PeneloRatsbane
01-12-2010, 09:27 PM
I love this song, i got it on my ipod and i think it really beautiful and actually far better than i thought it was the first time i heard it.