PDA

View Full Version : New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Yeargdribble
11-15-2009, 07:51 PM
I'm surprised no one seems to be talking about this. I guess there's not that much to say, but I'm finding the game to be amazing. I'm planning on playing it completely 2-player with my wife and so far we're having a lot of fun. She wasn't even certain she was going to like it, but after getting going she's loving it.

There are so many extra things that having multiple players lets you get away with and it makes collecting star coins much easier as well as collecting red coins in time.

Coin Battle was ridiculously fun and my wife beat me a few times as well.

Anyone else enjoying the crap out of the game?

ljkkjlcm9
11-15-2009, 09:13 PM
I ordered it through Amazon for the 10 dollars off a future game purchase(AKA I was just able to pre-order FFXIII for 46.99 on Amazon), so I should be getting it tomorrow.

By the end of this week I will be busy with every system. Phantasy Star Zero for DS, Assassin's Creed 2 for PS3, NSMB for Wii, and Dragon Age Origins for my Laptop.

Not to mention all my other unopened games that I have sitting around(4 actually, 3 PS3, 1 Wii)

This is definitely a game I will be playing with groups of friends, my girlfriend, and my roommates though. I'm definitely looking forward to it.

THE JACKEL

Yeargdribble
11-16-2009, 01:19 AM
Yeah, I decided to grab it alongside Muramasa: The Demon Blade at Toy 'R Us with their Buy 1 Get 1 $20 off thing.

I'm also in the same boat of having a lot of catching up to do.

Levian
11-16-2009, 02:23 AM
Another 5 days for us Europeans. I'm definitely going to 4 player the heck out of this one, and it'll be awesome because 4 player anything is awesome.

Bolivar
11-16-2009, 03:48 AM
If I had a Wii, I'd get it, no question. I got to play it at a game expo in phillly about a month ago where literally the only display worth checking out was Nintendo, and I had a blast playing this game. I loved the DS predecessor and got nearly all the medals in it, this game seems to have only expanded on that philosophy by a lot.

Yeargdribble
11-16-2009, 04:32 AM
I have to say it's quite difficult. After playing a bit of World 2 my wife and I ran into a number of really rough spots.

ljkkjlcm9
11-17-2009, 01:21 AM
So after playing with my roommates when I got it in the mail today, must say I totally love it. And I'm glad it's 4-player, NOT ONLINE. It's honestly way more fun having the people right there with you. My roommate and I kept dieing on 2-2 while trying to get all the Star Coins, and then laughing hysterically as we accidentally kill eachother when trying to work together. Having other players on screen adds a whole additional level to the game. I love this game, and when I have my party friday, we're definitely playing this game.

THE JACKEL

Evastio
11-17-2009, 04:02 AM
So much for making this thread myself...

It's nice to see this game getting a lot of love though. :love:

I don't own it yet, but I've played it two player. It's really awesome being able to go through the mushroom kingdom side by side with someone else. It may be slow at times waiting for each other, but it's worth it for me since I care more about sharing the fun than the convenience. Don't get me wrong though, having a partner definitely comes in useful (especially when it comes to turning partners into turrets, clearing out the screen using synchronized ground pounds, letting your partners light the way in dark caves, giving each other boosts, etc).

I was cooperating with the guy I was with though, so I didn't experience much of the competitive aspect. He did try to throw me into a hole in this castle with moving gates, though I didn't die or get hurt from it at all. Even if I'm playing against 3 other people who are making the game into a slaughterfest, I'm not going to turn my backs on the other players. At least... that's what I'd like to think.

I also like how even the mushroom house minigames are multiplayer. It may be a bit of a problem for the 1UP minigame (players hogging the lives rather than splitting them up between each other), but not for the matching up minigame (unless one of your partners are really unlucky).

Also, here's the New Super Mario Bros. Wii Official Site (http://mariobroswii.com/) for those who are interested.

And for those who haven't played the game yet, the Ice Flower isn't as redundant as you think. Even though the penguin suit has more abilities, the Ice Ball power isn't as effective for it. With the penguin suit, you cannot pick up the ice blocks that are formed by freezing enemies. Also (from what I read, though I wasn't able to notice if it was true myself) the ice flower can shoot more ice balls consecutively than the penguin suit and the enemies stay frozen longer with the ice flower.

Gameplay Tips:
- When you're in a level with wind, you can crouch so you won't move at all (though don't do this on a slope for, obvious reasons).
- In multiplayer, synchronized ground pounds are your best friend. If you have a lot of Pokeys (cactus enemies) on screen and you do one, you all get an extra life after every eighth Pokey body part or enemy that was on screen. Hopefully that'll give your competitive friends the initiative to cooperate temporarily, if just for the extra lives.
- On that same note, Yoshis will now eat all Pokey body parts above the one they're currently swallowing, so eat the bottommost one to get rid of them quickly. The Yoshis also retain the ability to hatch powerups. (I don't completely know how it works, apparently Pokey body parts can trigger it as well as Yoshi berries)
- In multiplayer (if you're cooperating), do NOT throw barrels at each other, because they will hurt your partners.
- The Fat Koopa kids retain their ground shaking jumps from previous games, so be in the air when they land. Otherwise you'll be open to their spell shot.
- Do NOT go near urchins when they're breaking out of their ice cubes you froze them in, since they go all nuts. I learned that the hard way.
- If you're playing adventure mode, keep in mind that fighting over coins of any kind is pointless (since the coin total is the same for everyone and it doesn't count who got how many coins or which star coins), unless you want the most coins for bragging rights.
- In multiplayer, when you're in a bubble you can shake the Wii Remote to get yourself closer to someone and pop yourself out. You can also use fire balls and ice balls to pop bubbles (though when cooperating don't do this over a hole). You can also stick yourself in a bubble by pressing A or B, which is useful in cases like letting someone go through a really hard part alone without any interference, saving yourself from a hole or enemy, or boosting someone to a higher area and catching up with them by becoming a bubble and having them pop it. You also retain your current powerups when going in a bubble so you'll still have your propellor power, penguin suit, etc. (regardless of whether you're cooperating or competing, don't do this when everyone is dead or in a bubble since you'll start the level over from the beginning, unless you want to mess everyone else over)

That's all the hints I can think of for now. Well, except for recommending that you stick to adventure mode for cooperating and free for all for competing. I think in free for all, the lives amount get reset to five after each level, so it'd make more sense to stick with free for all so you can stock up on lives for cooperating, and be carefree about losing lives on free for all.

There's also the Secret World 9: Rainbow Land. There's eight levels, one for each world, though the levels don't neccessarily represent each world. For each level, you need to get all the star coins in that world to unlock it. So get all star coins in World 1 to unlock 9-1, World 2 for 9-2, etc. There's no bosses, though the levels are quite challenging. Rainbow World is quite similar to the special world in Super Mario World, wtih how it's layed out and how it warps from different regions (like lava in one level, ice in the next, so the stage type isn't consistant). As soon as I heard it was Rainbow Land, I was really hoping it'd be like Rainbow Road from Mario Kart games, visually within the levels. Oh well, multiplayer cooperative is more than enough for me to like this game.

On one final note (my final not was supposed to be 5 paragraphs ago), this has been my Wallpaper for quite some time now. I was planning to use one of the Official Site Wallpapers, but when I downloaded them, it failed to extract for some reason.

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2009/152/960544_20090602_790screen013.jpg

Yeargdribble
11-17-2009, 05:43 AM
A few more bubble tips

-As long as someone else is alive on the screen, feel free to use the bubble to save yourself from a fall into a hole or near collision with an enemy.

-Bubbles are also immensely useful for getting Star Coins that are out of the way. For coins that may otherwise require a Propeller Suit or Koopa shell, just jump toward the coin and quickly activate the bubble after gathering the coin but before falling into a hole/spikes/enemy.

-Note that collected items (those which can be used on the map screen) will apply to all characters so don't be stingy and feel that you'd be wasting them. One goes a long way.

It's now practically second nature for me and my wife to use the bubble when we've miscalculated a jump or some such.