PDA

View Full Version : studyin' abroad.

Moon Rabbits
11-19-2009, 07:06 PM
have you ever done it? i got a newsletter from my university today about this and i was thinking about doing the japan or italy one; maybe kenya. ANYWAY, i'll earn a full year credit in only 6 weeks if i do it; i'm just wondering what (if any) experiences anyone here has had with studying abroad :S I'm confused as to what they'll even be marking us on?! edit: nvm, 3 hour classes every day for the duration of the trip.

black orb
11-19-2009, 07:17 PM
i'll earn a full year credit in only 6 weeks
>>> Sounds good, can you explain how that whole credit system works?, im curious about that..http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/rodv/Luca-Walk-Front.gif

Breine
11-19-2009, 08:38 PM
Never done it, but I've always been interested in it.

Linus
11-19-2009, 10:08 PM
I studied abroad in Australia for 5 months and wrote my Honors thesis about it.

It was cool, I guess.

Raistlin
11-19-2009, 10:15 PM
In undergrad I originally wanted to study abroad in Spain, but none of the programs would give me enough credits for my majors. So instead I did an internship program in D.C., which was fun.

~*~Celes~*~
11-19-2009, 10:31 PM
Rye would be able to talk to you, she's currently studying abroad in England :jess:

I've always wanted to study abroad but since I'm not currently in school that's not much of an option :p

Moon Rabbits
11-20-2009, 12:58 AM
i'll earn a full year credit in only 6 weeks
>>> Sounds good, can you explain how that whole credit system works?, im curious about that..http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/rodv/Luca-Walk-Front.gif

Dunno about other places outside Canada, or even outside my uni but ... I need something like 24 full credits (ie. 4 years of study) to get my degree. Each class I take and pass gives me either 1 full credit (takes the whole school year to complete) or 1 half credit (takes 1 semester [half the year]) to complete. I also need a "diversity requirement" or something like that - ie. I need a full credit in the sciences, social sciences, and humanities in order to get my degree - despite my program.

A full credit in 6 weeks is dayyyyyyum fiiiiiiiine.

rubah
11-20-2009, 01:11 AM
Been there, done that, didn't get the t-shirt or the credit, but am pleased all the same.

Christmas
11-20-2009, 01:14 AM
I LIKE MY COUNTRY TOO MUCH TO LEAVE IT!!! :bigsmile:

Yar
11-20-2009, 02:27 AM
I think it's mandatory that I study abroad, which would make sense considering I'm a Japanese major. :p

Bunny
11-20-2009, 02:38 AM
I've studied two broads but my girlfriend didn't like it.

BA DUM PSSH

Yar
11-20-2009, 02:59 AM
I've studied two broads but my girlfriend didn't like it.

BA DUM PSSH
thats just gross youre just gross

Kirobaito
11-20-2009, 04:12 AM
I studied in Fall 2008 at the University of Edinburgh. I loved the experience, loved the city, and loved the people. I got 13 hours of credit taking 3 classes. Doing it in Japan or Italy would be quite different than doing it in the UK, though.

Rye
11-20-2009, 12:03 PM
Doing a year in University of Reading right now.

I'm not sure how well my credits will work out, since the University seemed to forget to mention that despite me being an English major (I can't take secondary education credits abroad, since it wouldn't be American education training), I'm not allowed to take more than two English classes this year. Good job telling me that after I've already enrolled, hahaha.

I found a class that counts as a potential loophole, and I'm trying to knock out my other general education classes out, but I'm pretty much looking at a lot of summer classes and really hefty class loads when I return if I want to graduate on time. I'm not very optimistic about my credits at all. Good thing I was slightly ahead on my credits before I left, so I won't be so completely tragically behind (though who knows how that will work, since I'm not only hoping my credits will go back well to my home university, but I'm also transferring to another university from there, so I may just get royally screwed and not have any count except for my two English classes. LOL!!!!)

But it's worth it. I'm glad I decided to stay on for two terms instead of one. It just wouldn't have been enough time if I hadn't. I only have 3 more weeks this term already! The experience is really wonderful.

Suggestion: Go somewhere where their money is weaker than the dollar. Trust me. Everything is way too expensive in England, and it's doing my head in.

Also, I recommend Italy, if only just because most people in Italy speak English. Try University of Bologna. It's a gorgeous city, it's where my family is from, and I think UoB is one of the best universities in Italy. It's close to Milan, Florence and Venice! And it doesn't get too hot, since it's near Switzerland!

Aquila
11-20-2009, 06:24 PM
have you ever done it? i got a newsletter from my university today about this and i was thinking about doing the japan or italy one; maybe kenya. ANYWAY, i'll earn a full year credit in only 6 weeks if i do it; i'm just wondering what (if any) experiences anyone here has had with studying abroad :S I'm confused as to what they'll even be marking us on?! edit: nvm, 3 hour classes every day for the duration of the trip.

I suggest you to go to Italy. If you're doing about arts or languages & Cultures. Well, Italian sounds good , and I like Latin too.

Shoeberto
11-20-2009, 06:28 PM
There's a program here at the university where you basically go with a tour group through different parts of Japan for a month and get six credits. I'd really like to go on it sometime but I'm not sure when I could work it out. Maybe summer after my senior year or something, idk. I think it'd be fun though.