PDA

View Full Version : White Mage Hoody

Yeargdribble
11-19-2009, 09:22 PM
So my wife really likes hoodies and the traditional white mage garb gets her all hot. One day I was looking at one of her mostly white hoodies and thinking it would be fairly simple to add the red trim and make it look like a geektacular white mage hoody.

I'm fair at sewing but I'm not professional. I have access to a machine. White type of fabric would you suggest (I was thinking a type of felt). Any other tips?

Flying Mullet
11-19-2009, 09:25 PM
Felt or fleece would probably work best. Also, make sure you can match a thread color to whatever material you choose for the actual sewing.

Christmas
11-19-2009, 10:47 PM
Marshall Banana might know! :kaoclove:

Markus. D
11-19-2009, 10:55 PM
Definetly Felt... but don't stray off finding the right color/texture either, make it look fantastique.

Leeza
11-19-2009, 11:18 PM
I think felt might be a bit too stiff. There are a lot of variations in fabrics out there right now. Go to a major fabric store and check them out. If all else fails, then there is always felt. :cat:

And yes, make sure you match the thread to the fabric colour...and prepare yourself for some possible hand stitching.

Marshall Banana
11-20-2009, 02:33 AM
You don't necessarily have to use a no-fray fabric.

I would choose a softer, thinner fabric. To avoid frayed edges, I'd make the triangular/pointy trim beforehand (two pieces stitched and turned inside out in order to hide the seams); then, I'd sew it to the hoodie.

Yeargdribble
11-20-2009, 05:22 AM
In a lot of art the triangles are not separated by white at the seams as in

=======
VVVVVVVV

where there is a solid border of red beyond the triangles. In some others, like the graphic for the forums there is space.

Some simply have the triangles but where each corner it touching the next.

I was originally planning something like the first type, but I think it will be incredibly difficult because I would have to tuck the edges under and sew them.

I like Marshal's idea of just using two pieces and reversing it rather than my idea of folding cutting wide Vs and then folding them up to the point and sewing them down.

I suppose it would be possible to form entire long pieces, but I'm already quite concerned about consistency from one triangle to the next.

EDIT: Another thought about making the cotinuous type that I mentioned at first would be to let the triangles slightly overlap at the bottom, but I'm afraid the required stiching might take away from the effect.