PDA

View Full Version : Did any one here watch the original 1975 little Mermaid?

Fire_Emblem776
11-20-2009, 03:24 AM
I remember when I was a kid I saw the little mermaid on VHS, it wasnt the happy Disney version. It was the original version thats faithful to the story. Years later I wanted to watch it again. My parents threw out the VHS X_X

After finally looking around for a copy, i found a vhs, but it was the edited version :mad2:

Looking further into it, because I know I saw the uncut version in english. It was released in the late 70s by Starmaker.

A dvd was released a few years ago, but the quality horrible, and its full screen:mad2:

Eventually I found out the DVD was released in Europe, with the original Japanese audio, and Spanish track. But no English. Right now Im adding the uncut VHS audio to the PAL dvd. SO far it looks great.

I didnt know this was anime when I first saw it.

YouTube - The Little Mermaid 1975 Toei original- Marina's song when a mermaid comes of age DVD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nMGbOR0XsQ)

guffman
11-20-2009, 03:30 AM
...wow. i am really interested in this. how can we get our hands on it when you are finished?

Fire_Emblem776
11-20-2009, 03:35 AM
Just send me a PM because I don't think were allowed to post downloads to an ISO.

TheAbominatrix
11-20-2009, 04:58 AM
Oh yes, I have a friend's English VHS in my living room right now. Amazing movie, beautiful animation and great music. I'd love to see it in Japanese, Shlup has been after that thing for ages.

I love that this version follows the original tale, sea-foam and all.

Momiji
11-20-2009, 05:10 AM
This looks rather interesting.

guffman
11-20-2009, 06:21 AM
i remember the original story... i think. doesn't it involve her dieing and something about her cutting her legs off or some :bou::bou::bou::bou:... maybe i'm just making that up.

TheAbominatrix
11-20-2009, 08:28 AM
xD No, no legs being severed.

If the Prince marries someone else, Marina (the little mermaid) will turn into sea foam and be dead and all. The night of his wedding her sisters have sacrificed their hair to the sea witch to get a potion to turn Marina back into a mermaid. All she has to do is kill the prince and wet her legs in his blood. She cant, of course, because she truly loves him. As the sun rises she turns into sea foam, and the prince realizes too late that she was the one who had saved him at the beginning, and she was the one he loved, etc etc.

Fire_Emblem776
11-21-2009, 01:13 AM
So far im doing good ^_^ I also found the Italian dub track, and going to add it since their is so much space left on the dvd.

Shlup
11-21-2009, 01:18 AM
I loved this movie!! My teacher showed it in class in third grade. I've been trying to get a copy on DVD but every time I see it on eBay it goes for like $60.

Christmas
11-21-2009, 02:21 AM
Ya! Topless Ariel ftw! :ariel: