PDA

View Full Version : Oprah Winfrey will quit her daytime talk show in 2011

SuperMillionaire
11-21-2009, 02:29 PM
Oprah Winfrey is going to quit her talk show in 2011 after an incredible 25 seasons. I remember seeing all of these really touching stories on the show, and many Hollywood celebrities are also really sad to see her go; even fellow talk show hosts are paying homages to her.

Share all of your fond memories of the show here.

Breine
11-21-2009, 03:05 PM
After 25 years of doing the same thing she's probably looking for a chance to do something different. It'll be interesting to see what she comes up with.

Raistlin
11-21-2009, 04:12 PM
How will she control the minds of all middle-aged housewives?

Bunny
11-21-2009, 05:17 PM
How will she control the minds of all middle-aged housewives?

With her next show that will be the exact same thing in a different time slot.

SuperMillionaire
11-21-2009, 05:36 PM
After 25 years of doing the same thing she's probably looking for a chance to do something different. It'll be interesting to see what she comes up with.

She'll be starting up her own television network soon.

Moon Rabbits
11-21-2009, 08:07 PM
Finally the throne is clear for Tyra.

Rocket Edge
11-22-2009, 01:10 AM
I've only seen the show a handful of times, because it really can be too much. The word self-esteem has never been thrown out as much as Oprah does, or holding hands with women crying over something. Still, it did cover things that were really interesting at times. I remember seeing a show entitled 'animal miracles' and it was great. It showed dogs rescuing their owner in their time of need even when their pet was in danger.

Been a long time since I seen the show actually.

Shlup
11-22-2009, 01:14 AM
I like the poop episodes.

Miriel
11-22-2009, 01:15 AM
I can't imagine a world without the Oprah show. :o

Say what you want about Oprah, she's been one of the greatest influence on pop culture in our lifetime. I think she's a little nutty for sure, but I loved how she would shine light on important matters. Like the show she did about puppy farms.

Also, The Time Traveler's Wife was one of her book club selections and it ended up being one of my favorite books ever. So there.

Barraza
11-22-2009, 01:36 AM
Like Supermillionaire said, she's just moving from a single show to her own network. They've been kicking that idea around for years.

I have no idea what an Oprah television network would entail. It's kind of scary. I went through a period of grudging respect for Oprah and then a total distaste for her. I don't hate her or anything. She just seems phony. Either she's playing it up for success' sake or she really, really needs to get out of the "self-realization" period and do something a bit more useful.

If she turns into a business tycoon instead of a TV host (or at least, focuses on the business aspect), we might get a very different idea of Oprah.

RedPouch
11-22-2009, 04:05 AM
Kathy Griffin's turn.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

NorthernChaosGod
11-22-2009, 06:31 AM
I wish she would retire. Oprah sucks.

SuperMillionaire
11-22-2009, 08:28 PM
Oprah is also an incredible philanthropist; I remember back in 2005, after Hurricane Katrina ravaged New Orleans and the rest of the Gult Coast; she did her show live from the Astrodome there, and I remember this famous quote she stated: "These people are not refugees; they are survivors, and I think the government owes them an apology."

Bunny
11-22-2009, 09:03 PM
You really like semi-colons.

Moon Rabbits
11-22-2009, 09:37 PM
Kathy Griffin's turn.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

No, TYRA.

Quindiana Jones
11-22-2009, 10:09 PM
One down....

SuperMillionaire
11-23-2009, 11:54 AM
And of course, who can forget that Oprah endorsed Barack Obama as our president! And then, several months later, she just interviewed Sarah Palin, the former Alaskan governor who was John McCain's running mate.

G13
11-23-2009, 12:23 PM
I like the poop episodes.

she's a little nutty

:bigsmile:

I watched it sometimes when Dr. Phil was on it. It's too much when an older woman is talking about her husbands ideas of sex consists of.

She's leaving in a few years, all I can say is yippee. Now I won't have to suffer those annoying commercials with happy-fun-time in the beginning and awful tragedy at the end, or my mother watching an episode and feeling it her duty to tell us about it all through dinner.

Breine
11-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Kathy Griffin's turn.

No, TYRA.

Tyra is just such an Oprah wannabe, though.

Bunny
11-23-2009, 04:07 PM
Tyra is a condescending whore without a single ounce of intelligence.

Quindiana Jones
11-23-2009, 05:29 PM
I vote we send Jeremy Kyle over there.

SuperMillionaire
11-24-2009, 01:32 AM
Oprah is also a businesswoman; in fact, she's among the richest women in the world!

Markus. D
11-24-2009, 02:07 AM
The only talk shows I like are Ellen and Rove Live (the latter of which has recently seen it's final show).

... and while I don't watch Oprah, you can't deny that she's DEFINETLY one of the most influencial people ever to exist.

Shiny
11-24-2009, 04:32 AM
Finally the throne is clear for Tyra.
Let's be best friends 4eva.

Breine
11-24-2009, 04:52 PM
Ellen is the best talk show host out there.

SuperMillionaire
11-24-2009, 05:59 PM
The only talk shows I like are Ellen and Rove Live (the latter of which has recently seen it's final show).

... and while I don't watch Oprah, you can't deny that she's DEFINETLY one of the most influencial people ever to exist.

Hey, are you from Australia? Because Rove Live is an Australian talk show.

I don't know who I think should take Oprah's place when she leaves, but I would say that it's better to pick Tyra Banks over Kathy Griffin.

NeoCracker
11-25-2009, 04:37 AM
Now that Oprah is gone, this marks the return of SPAAAACE GHOOOOST! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdQfvIjdMv0)

NorthernChaosGod
11-25-2009, 05:54 AM
Now that Oprah is gone, this marks the return of SPAAAACE GHOOOOST! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdQfvIjdMv0)

YES!

Shiny
11-25-2009, 06:45 AM
Ellen is the best talk show host out there.
Ellen is witty. I like it her and her dancing. And I like Tyra cuz she's insane and it's funny.

Black Magic Shopkeeper
11-25-2009, 07:07 AM
Ellen is very funny, yes. ^^
But she SO cannot dance. Known fact, I know.

As for Oprah... After Charla Nash, I... can't accept Oprah's existence anymore. She just went too far this time.

SuperMillionaire
11-25-2009, 07:07 PM
I was watching The View on ABC this morning, and they said that perhaps Oprah's best friend, Gayle King, could take her place when she leaves. Perhaps that would be a good choice.

Miriel
11-25-2009, 09:47 PM
Ellen is amazing. But her show and Oprah's show are completely different. Oprah will make you weep. I mean god damn, she throws all these things at you, dying puppies and orphaned children etc etc. Ellen makes you laugh and feel warm and cuddly.

Tyra is bat:bou::bou::bou::bou: insane.

NeoCracker
11-25-2009, 09:51 PM
Ellen is amazing. But her show and Oprah's show are completely different. Oprah will make you weep. I mean god damn, she throws all these things at you, dying puppies and orphaned children etc etc. Ellen makes you laugh and feel warm and cuddly.

Tyra is bat:bou::bou::bou::bou: insane.

Thats why we need Space Ghost.

Like when Moltar was kidnapped by Your Mom, or when Zorak was torn between being with his love and being eaten, or leaving her behind and living. ;_;

I cried for weeks.

SuperMillionaire
11-26-2009, 04:02 PM
Oprah also produces Rachael Ray's show on ABC, and she's kind of like oprah in that she likes to help people; yesterday, I also saw her preparing a meal for a town in Ohio that is struggling really hard in this punishing economy.

Ouch!
11-26-2009, 07:14 PM
Oprah also produces Rachael Ray's show on ABC, and she's kind of like oprah in that she likes to help people; yesterday, I also saw her preparing a meal for a town in Ohio that is struggling really hard in this punishing economy.
When did you become an ad bot for Rachel Ray and Oprah?

SuperMillionaire
11-27-2009, 03:34 PM
When did you become an ad bot for Rachel Ray and Oprah?

What exactly are you talking about?

Shauna
11-27-2009, 08:40 PM
Kathy Griffin's turn.

No, TYRA.

Don't worry, Tyra is fierce. She'd be able to fight for her right to that space!

SuperMillionaire
11-28-2009, 04:16 AM
Yes, Tyra does talk about similar issues on her show. Or perhaps Montel Williams could make a return to TV talk shows after Oprah leaves...

eestlinc
11-28-2009, 05:19 AM
she is leaving the show to run for vice president.

SuperMillionaire
11-28-2009, 07:39 PM
she is leaving the show to run for vice president.

No, she endorsed Barack Obama as president, and then later had former vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin on her show.

Shauna
11-29-2009, 01:18 AM
I'm fairly sure eestlinc wasn't being serious with that post...

Raistlin
11-29-2009, 02:30 AM
At least I hope not.

eestlinc
11-29-2009, 02:36 AM
No, she endorsed Barack Obama as president, and then later had former vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin on her show.
even if were being serious, that would be a fairly unpersuasive rebuttal.

SuperMillionaire
12-01-2009, 12:02 AM
even if were being serious, that would be a fairly unpersuasive rebuttal.

Just making sure.