PDA

View Full Version : I am going to be doing a marathon of Final Fantasy games.

Barraza
11-21-2009, 10:42 PM
Beginning Black Friday. FF1-12. Minus 11, plus X-2 and Crisis Core.

I'm still working on the schedule, but my friend and I are going to be doing it. I am very excitable.

Has anyone else attempted anything similar, before?

Christmas
11-21-2009, 11:06 PM
No and good luck!! :bigsmile:

Levian
11-21-2009, 11:08 PM
That's gonna get rough! :D Hope you're not planning on getting everything in each game :p

I've never done a Final Fantasy marathon, just completing one game at a time seems to be hard enough work for me. I have however done a Silent Hill marathon with a buddy who had never played SH before. We played them in a weird order though, it was like 4, 2, 5, 3 and then 1 last. Because that's the order in which the games got available to us. we got through them all in 12 sittings. His preference of the games turned out like this: 5, 2, 1, 4 and 3.

Good luck on your quest!

Christmas
11-21-2009, 11:10 PM
Ya, listen to the poster above, he hardly makes long post, he did it specially for you! :bigsmile:

Barraza
11-22-2009, 01:25 AM
I remember BOU did something similar in that he went through and beat them all, but he didn't do it in order. So I don't even count it.

It's going to be

FF1 (PSP)
FF2 (PSP)
FF3 (DS)
FF4 (DS)
FF5 (GBA)
FF6 (GBA)
CC: FF (PSP)
FF7 (PS1)
FF8 (PS1)
FF9 (PS1)
FF10 (PS2)
FF10-2 (PS2)
FF12 (PS2)
FFT (PS1)

And about a month later, FF13 should be coming out.

But that's coincidental, really.

Kyros
11-22-2009, 01:53 AM
within the past month I've beaten VII and VIII, played through IX and X up to right before the final hr or 2 of the games (taking time for random sidequests and item hunting etc), and I'm playing fft: wotl atm getting all the extra characters :)

Marshall Banana
11-22-2009, 02:05 AM
That sounds fun! You should post updates as you play!

Eden-Oden
11-22-2009, 02:16 AM
[Oh Thats nice

Raistlin
11-22-2009, 02:32 AM
Wow, that's going to be tough after a while. Good luck, though.

Levian
11-22-2009, 02:53 AM
Isn't it going to be hard playing with someone else with a handheld? I'm imagining you'll take turns having sore necks. :p

VeloZer0
11-22-2009, 07:08 AM
It's a lot easier if you play the earlier ones on an emulator and can blow through them in a day easily with frame-skip :)

At one point I was going to try to beat all of the games in one sitting (one game a weekend, no food/drink/sleep until it is completed), but it fell apart after I did FFVII. The next one I was going to attempt was FFX, and I decided I didn't really want to play X again.

Slothy
11-22-2009, 12:42 PM
His preference of the games turned out like this: 5, 2, 1, 4 and 3.

My mind boggles at the idea of someone liking Homecoming more than any other SH. Just feels wrong.

Anyway, I assume you guys will be doing this in shifts if you're actually going straight through them all, unless you just plan on doing one then sleeping, then another.

Either way, I'd recommend the PSP version of FF Tactics if you can get your hands on it. The translation is far better than the PSX version and it's got some extra stuff in it as well. The cut scenes and voice acting (only during the cut scenes mind you) were really good too.

Levian
11-22-2009, 03:29 PM
His preference of the games turned out like this: 5, 2, 1, 4 and 3.

My mind boggles at the idea of someone liking Homecoming more than any other SH. Just feels wrong.

Well, the spot for the first was pretty tight between 5, 2 and 1. imo, 5 really isn't that bad compared to the others if you don't have any history or nostalgia attached to the others. It's probably my 3rd favorite.

Barraza
11-22-2009, 10:18 PM
Sorry, I should clarify. We're both doing this on our own, but we're following the same timeframe. He actually set this up for himself, so I'm just copying him, actually. Because I always meant to do so.

I'll upload the entire schedule once it's set up, to give you an indication.

Slothy
11-23-2009, 12:45 AM
Well, the spot for the first was pretty tight between 5, 2 and 1. imo, 5 really isn't that bad compared to the others if you don't have any history or nostalgia attached to the others. It's probably my 3rd favorite.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Homecoming is a bad horror game by any stretch. It's got more than a few problems with it but it has some really cool areas and monsters and the Silent Hill atmosphere still shines through sometimes, it just really doesn't hold a candle to the first three with or without nostalgia affecting the opinion if you ask me.

Freya
11-23-2009, 05:52 PM
Hope you guys don't get bored/annoyed with all the random battles :/

Fynn
11-23-2009, 06:32 PM
I tried to do something like this in the summer. I beat I, II and III, started IV, but got bored, since I had finished it not long before. :cry:

Barraza
11-23-2009, 06:57 PM
I figure we'll last until halfway before 2 is completed. I hated 2.

If we lose this, it'll be on his end. I've already beaten them all variously throughout the years, but he hasn't. He's a FF7 kid. Poor guy.

Fynn
11-25-2009, 02:06 PM
I figure we'll last until halfway before 2 is completed. I hated 2.

If we lose this, it'll be on his end. I've already beaten them all variously throughout the years, but he hasn't. He's a FF7 kid. Poor guy.

And yet you have an Emperor Mateus avatar ;)

Personally, I wasn't a great fan of FFII after the first playthrough, but after playing the PSP version it has consistently grown on me. I love how they fleshed out the system.

Not to mention it has one of the most awesome characters of all time! (points at avatar, sig and username)

Black Magic Shopkeeper
11-26-2009, 12:25 AM
I actually started a marathon of my own last week. I'm STILL on FFI, but I'm nearly at the middle. I think I'll try and make it so I get each game done in the shortest time possible.

As for FFII, I've always been very untroubled by it. Difficulty is actually what I WANTED from FFII, and that's what I got. I am pleased.
Then again, seeing that shopkeepers were no longer green guys with hooded robes made me a very, very sad little person.

Barraza
11-26-2009, 01:49 AM
I admit I never played the PSP version of II, so maybe I'll like it more than the terrible NES game.

As for Mateus, it's because he's just a giant badass in Dissidia, so I think I'm forgiven for liking him. run amok

Rocket Edge
11-26-2009, 02:39 AM
Best of luck. Although I adore the series I probably wouldn't have the patience for it!

Barraza
11-27-2009, 08:33 AM
Started. FF1. Lich kicked my ass: apparently bringing three warriors wasn't a great idea.

Did they make the game more balanced in the PSP version? It seems to me that the warriors in this version are a lot less useful. (In the NES version, a party of four is like auto-game-win.)

VeloZer0
11-27-2009, 05:19 PM
I read that they buffed magic, but I also heard that about the GBA version, and magic still blew just as much. Didn't they also remove the Mithril/Silver Sword from Elfland? (Don't remember the exact name, you know the one I am talking about.)

Barraza
11-30-2009, 07:31 AM
Beat the game tonight at around level 55. I'm going around doing all of the extra dungeons I never really did; tomorrow, I begin FF2. Which I am now excited to try out on PSP.

My friend, expectantly, hated FF1. But he's beginning a blog, which is supposed to be explaining everything.

Final Fantasy Progress Tracker (http://antonyaurelius.blogspot.com/)

We are giant badasses, by the way.

Black Magic Shopkeeper
12-01-2009, 05:16 AM
...You're fast.

I only just got the Levistone. xD
Though I am doing it the hard way: Grinding to the next rounded level before each boss. Fought Marilith at lv 40. xD

Barraza
12-16-2009, 07:26 AM
Deep (?) into Final Fantasy III today. It's going really fast, but not as fast as we were hoping. I imagine it'll speed up once we get into "good" Final Fantasy: even though the games are longer, Famicom-era Final Fantasy is so goddam boring that it's hard to play for more than an hour.

...You're fast.

I only just got the Levistone. xD
Though I am doing it the hard way: Grinding to the next rounded level before each boss. Fought Marilith at lv 40. xDThat is amazingly high-leveled, so you're basically a badass.

jezzicaz789
02-24-2010, 05:15 AM
I remember BOU did something similar in that he went through and beat them all, but he didn't do it in order. So I don't even count it.

It's going to be

FF1 (PSP)
FF2 (PSP)
FF3 (DS)
FF4 (DS)
FF5 (GBA)
FF6 (GBA)
CC: FF (PSP)
FF7 (PS1)
FF8 (PS1)
FF9 (PS1)
FF10 (PS2)
FF10-2 (PS2)
FF12 (PS2)
FFT (PS1)

And about a month later, FF13 should be coming out.

But that's coincidental, really.

Thank you for the post.
Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

hitman1984
02-24-2010, 05:36 PM
interesting thing to do, but i hope you don't get burnt out over playing Final Fantasy can do that lol, but good luck with it.

Mo-Nercy
02-25-2010, 11:50 PM
I did something similar for only the FFVII Complilation when Crisis Core came out. I played through it over about a week, played through FFVII again in about the same time, watched Advent Children straight after and played through Dirge of Cerburus the next day.

Anyway, best of luck to you with your challenge. =]

Tokimadoushi
02-26-2010, 08:44 AM
I'm going to be joining you guys. I'm starting FF1 today. It's going to be:

FFI & II GBA
FFIII DS
FFIV, V & VI GBA
FFVII, VIII & IX PS
FFX, X-2 & XII PS2

I'll probably take a break when XIII comes out over here in March, depending on when I can get my paws on it. Good luck to all of us! :choc: