PDA

View Full Version : Mario Sucks

Shlup
11-23-2009, 02:41 AM
TheAbominatrix and I are trying to think of a single Mario game that isn't good. I can't think of any.

Can yooouuu?

ETA: Play the game that Levian posted!

Levian
11-23-2009, 02:49 AM
Take this quiz to list all the mario games:

Can you name the Mario Games (U.S. Releases)? - sporcle (http://www.sporcle.com/games/mario_games.php)

the ones you couldn't think of probably suck.

Shoeberto
11-23-2009, 02:53 AM
Super Mario Land is, from the gameplay to the art, clunky and awkward. It also really doesn't have much in common with any other game in the series and I believe was handled by a completely different team. I don't like it much, personally, but I know a lot of people do.

Raistlin
11-23-2009, 02:59 AM
Take this quiz to list all the mario games:

85? Jesus christ.

I will agree that all of the popular Mario games are good. The other 70 or so probably suck.

Shlup
11-23-2009, 03:06 AM
That was a fun game! I got 44/85. Super Mario Galaxy 2 isn't on their yet, nor is the new Wii game.

The Mario preschool games look awesome. I admit that I haven't played most of the Mario sports games, though I hear they're good. And I didn't know Mario had a Dance Dance. I demand "Mario is Missing!" for MS-DOS.

Vyk
11-23-2009, 04:31 AM
Those CDi games probably count here.. (which is good 'cause they don't count for anything else)

eestlinc
11-23-2009, 04:43 AM
Mario Paint was pretty lame. And the original Mario Brothers, pre-Super, was not good either.

Does the original NES Tennis count as a Mario game? Or Donkey Kong?

Yeargdribble
11-23-2009, 04:46 AM
Mario's Time Machine and Mario's Missing! both come to mind. Outside of such blatantly educational games I think pretty much all Mario titles end up being pretty solid.

Shlup
11-23-2009, 04:50 AM
Educational Mario sounds awesome.

And Mario Paint was awesome.

TheAbominatrix
11-23-2009, 05:04 AM
Mario Paint was hours of coloring fun! Plus it a mouse!

And I dug Mario is Missing, though it was pretty simple to beat. I like learning.

It's a wonder I'm still so dumb :/

xD

The Man
11-23-2009, 05:23 AM
I will agree that all of the popular Mario games are good. The other 70 or so probably suck.

Yeargdribble
11-23-2009, 06:08 AM
I loved Mario Paint. I spent countless hours on almost every facet of that game as a kid.

JKTrix
11-23-2009, 06:09 AM
I got 71/85. There are a few of the ones I missed I genuinely didn't know about, but other ones like Mario Kart Advance I didn't get because I couldn't remember the title.

The Retronauts podcast this last week was about Mario and they mentioned a handful of the more obscure ones

Wolf Kanno
11-23-2009, 06:34 AM
I don't think there is terrible Mario game though quality in the titles do tend to vary sometimes (Looks at Mario Kart). I'll second the Mario is Missing game, its easy, its short, its hardly educational (Play Where on Earth is Carmen San Diego if you want a real educational game :p )and its a shame that Luigi gets stuck with being the lead.

Seriously, its like whenever Nintendo makes a game using the Mario franchise that they are not so sure is really good, they make Luigi the main character instead. Poor Luigi... :(

JKTrix
11-23-2009, 06:43 AM
That's one of the cool things about New Super Mario Bros Wii. If you utterly fail as Mario and die like 8 times on a level, Luigi will show up and show you how it's done (if you let him).

The Man
11-23-2009, 06:55 AM
I always liked Luigi more than Mario. I can't have been the only one, can I?

Shlup
11-23-2009, 07:00 AM
I've always likes Luigi better too. He's charmingly befuddled.

Necronopticous
11-23-2009, 07:07 AM
New Super Mario Bros was ass.

Christmas
11-23-2009, 11:30 AM
The Mario RPG isn't that bad, the seven stars or something was it? :bigsmile:

Levian
11-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Seriously, its like whenever Nintendo makes a game using the Mario franchise that they are not so sure is really good, they make Luigi the main character instead. Poor Luigi... :(

Hmm, can't think of more than two games where he was the lead. Luigi's Mansion is just plain awesome though.

and you beat me by 2 mario games, Shlup. :(

The Man
11-23-2009, 11:46 AM

Super Mario RPG was awesome.

Slothy
11-23-2009, 03:01 PM

I thought of quite a few that do indeed suck.

As for specific examples, Mario Kart Double Dash and Wii were both quite broken and craptacular.

Raistlin
11-23-2009, 04:02 PM

I consider that one of the mainstream, popular ones. It was a great game.

Breine
11-23-2009, 04:13 PM
Mario kicks ass.

Yeargdribble
11-23-2009, 05:48 PM
I always liked Luigi more than Mario. I can't have been the only one, can I?

I'm the same. Mario is pretty generic to me. I think the fact that Luigi isn't the protagonist most of the time (which admit it, Mario is a Chrono Trigger-esque protagonist with a tad more personality) allowed him to be fleshed out more and I find him a bit more endearing for that reason.

Depression Moon
11-23-2009, 05:49 PM
I have a terrible memory I only got 41. I don't know how I forgot the Mario Party series. That would've gotten me like what 8 free answers?

I knew I missed more of the sports games but I just couldn't remember their names. I almost forgot about all the RPG games too. Oh man I feel awful.

Marshall Banana
11-23-2009, 07:47 PM
I'm still waiting for a Super King Koopa game in which Bowser is playable and the hero.

Kyros
11-23-2009, 07:48 PM
The mario where you ran around and had to pick up stuff and throw it to kill stuff sucked hard imo. I hated that game. I think it was mario 2 but could be wrong.

Marshall Banana
11-23-2009, 07:51 PM
The mario where you ran around and had to pick up stuff and throw it to kill stuff sucked hard imo. I hated that game. I think it was mario 2 but could be wrong.
I like that game, because it allows you to play as the princess!

Bolivar
11-23-2009, 08:26 PM
I don't know if there were any mario games that were bad, even Super Mario Land 1 (2 and 3(Warioland) were awesome!) and the newer Mario Karts are still playable and have a potential to be enjoyable.

KentaRawr!
11-23-2009, 08:45 PM
I got 55. I didn't know about a lot of them, but the rest I couldn't remember the name of. And the zomglolcrapeducation games just didn't occur to me. :p

Anyway, the zomglolcrapeducation games aren't too hot.

Lawr
11-23-2009, 09:48 PM
I'm still waiting for a Super King Koopa game in which Bowser is playable and the hero.

Isn't he a good guy in Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story?

Freya
11-23-2009, 10:33 PM
This web series makes luigi and mario and wario and all the super smash bro's people much cooler.

News - ThereWillBeBrawl.com (http://therewillbebrawl.com/)

Shattered Dreamer
11-23-2009, 11:46 PM
Super Mario Brothers 2 on the NES sucked so bad I hate it so so intensely!

Marshall Banana
11-24-2009, 12:11 AM

Dunno. Maybe.

I want another game in which Bowser isn't completely stupid, too.

Shlup
11-24-2009, 12:40 AM

I thought of quite a few that do indeed suck.

As for specific examples, Mario Kart Double Dash and Wii were both quite broken and craptacular.

Nooo! I <3 both those games!

I <3 that game too! 'Cause the characters had different specialties.

Raistlin
11-24-2009, 03:55 AM

I <3 that game too! 'Cause the characters had different specialties.

I loved it, too. I admittedly played it the SNES remake (On Super Mario All-Stars) the most, but I played it a ton as a kid.

JKTrix
11-24-2009, 04:19 AM

Dunno. Maybe.

I want another game in which Bowser isn't completely stupid, too.

If you didn't already love Bowser by time you played Bowser's Inside Story, you will probably love him afterwards.

Bowser is big and dumb, but he is awesome.

Marshall Banana
11-24-2009, 04:38 AM
Oh, and I want to kill Toads! I hate them more than anything in the world.

PrincessRosalina
11-26-2009, 11:01 PM
Some Mario Games may be suckish but i know my favorite Mario Games are Luigi's Mansion, Mario Kart Wii and Super Mario Galaxy :3 I know probably some ppl dislike it cause they make a lot of Mario Games that we all can't keep up with.