PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving

Flying Mullet
11-24-2009, 03:19 PM
Just a basic thread to discuss Thanksgiving for those of use that are celebrating it.

We're having our Thanksgiving potluck at work today and I'm looking forward to the ham, turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, apple pie and all of the other good food that comes with it.

Then I get to do it all over again on Thursday! :bigsmile:

Yar
11-24-2009, 03:30 PM
I have a day off of work and school omg.

Khimbar2775
11-24-2009, 03:33 PM
for the past 25 or 26 years, im not entirely sure, i myself am only 21, my family, and two other families to which all three are closely tied together, have always had Turkey Day together. i dont know Thanksgiving without them. and every year, it gets bigger; what with all the children getting married and having their own children.

Thats why I love Thanksgiving much more so than Christmas or Halloween, or any other holiday, as a holiday. Also, I unconsciously associate my mothers death with Christmas, because she died on the 21st of December when I was nine years old, but thats a different story. :P Turkey Day has always been more family-oriented in my opinion, because it was beyond jsut my own family.

Raistlin
11-24-2009, 07:02 PM
I'm meeting my dad and his fiance in D.C. for an early Thanksgiving dinner, and then going to my mom's for the rest of the long weekend. I think we're planning a second pseudo-Thanksgiving on Friday.

Moon Rabbits
11-24-2009, 07:23 PM
Thanksgiving is in October you fucks.

Yar
11-24-2009, 07:45 PM
Thanksgiving is in October you smurfs.It's called Columbus Day you smurf

Flying Mullet
11-24-2009, 08:02 PM
Thanksgiving is in October you smurfs.
I'm only half smurf, but you say that like it's a bad thing.

rubah
11-24-2009, 08:15 PM
I just got home to my parents' house for thanksgiving <3

I'm thankful my cat is seeming to adjust!

(and I can't wait for turkey <3333)

The Summoner of Leviathan
11-24-2009, 08:18 PM
Thanksgiving is in October you smurfs.

Miriel
11-24-2009, 08:25 PM
I love Thanksgiving! Except... not really into traditional Thanksgiving food. No one in my family is into Turkey. I just like the general concept of friends/family coming together and being reminded of all the things you should be thankful for.

I'm cooking dinner for my family and this is the menu:

Starters:
Artisan bread + garlic olive oil
Whole leaf Caesar salad

Main:
Whole roasted filet mignon (aka Chateaubriand)
Marinated prawns

Sides:
Creamy herbed potatoes
Roasted new potatoes
Sweet corn
Garlic green beans
Grilled onions, red bell peppers, mushrooms.

Desert:
Apple dumpling crisp
Beignets

I'm also making a mini-thanksgiving dinner for a few close friends. Menu for that dinner:

Supremes de Volaille aux Champignons - courtesy of Julia Child
Loaded mashed potatoes
Green salad
Rice pilaf
Strawberries + homemade whip cream

So excited! Going out today to buy some decorations.

theundeadhero
11-24-2009, 09:45 PM
I made two pies today!

One failed badly :p

Shlup
11-24-2009, 09:55 PM
Thursday I'm going to my mother-in-law's, Saturday to my father's, and Sunday to my grandma-in-law's.

I'mma need to break out my fat pants.

P.S. Artichoke casserole. *drool*

NorthernChaosGod
11-25-2009, 05:15 AM
I'm having dinner with my parents, then going for desert to my aunts house where most of my family will meet up for drinks as well.

Raistlin
11-25-2009, 06:00 AM
I'm cooking dinner for my family and this is the menu:

Starters:
Artisan bread + garlic olive oil
Whole leaf Caesar salad

Main:
Whole roasted filet mignon (aka Chateaubriand)

You had me convinced there. Can I come to your place for Thanksgiving?

Vermachtnis
11-25-2009, 06:05 AM
I'm gonna eat and watch Mythbusters all day.

~*~Celes~*~
11-25-2009, 03:13 PM
my family always goes to my grandparents' house for thanksgiving and we eat lots. Being that I'll probably still be sick, I won't be eating much, if i even go at all. :(

LunarWeaver
11-25-2009, 08:43 PM
Thanksgiving combines everything I dislike into one: Family, children, fat people, and food. It is my biggest nightmare. So I don't do anything, if that wasn't guessed.

But I'm going to :jess: so this post isn't such a downer.

Rye
11-25-2009, 08:45 PM
I'm not celebrating for the first time this year, since I'm in England. I don't really like Thanksgiving, but mostly because most Thanksgiving foods are icky to me.

Bunny
11-25-2009, 08:53 PM
I'm going to my girlfriend's family's house or something and having thanksgiving with all of her extended family. And writing papers.

Flying Mullet
11-25-2009, 09:35 PM
I had Thanksgiving food at work yesterday, then those leftovers today, then I will repeat it all tomorrow! :love:

I love Thanksgiving food. :)

NorthernChaosGod
11-25-2009, 11:16 PM
I don't see how could not like Thanksgiving food!

I'll eat leftovers for at least two days. Sometimes up to a week.

Depression Moon
11-26-2009, 12:16 AM
Going to an aunt's house for all the good stuff. Looking forward most to the corn casserole, mac 'n' cheese, and sweet potatoe casserole and pies.

I think I'll be going to see Ninja Assassin with my brother too.

I'll eat leftovers for at least two days. Sometimes up to a week.
Ditto.

rubah
11-26-2009, 12:27 AM
we eat our thanksgiving meal as lunch, and mom doesn't like to get up at 6am to cook, so everything is in the oven now <33333333

IT SMELLS NOM

Jojee
11-27-2009, 07:42 AM
We went to asian people's house where they acted really un-asian, and prayed and served us turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, bread, pumpkin pie, and etc. ^_^

Barraza
11-27-2009, 08:23 AM
Went to my extended family's house. It was a little awkward, but the food was good (if exceedingly traditional). I remember the beer a little better.

Nice house, actually. Now I get to have Thanksgiving 2.0 tomorrow with the same people - at my house. Break out the carne asada. (lol mexicans).

Shlup
11-27-2009, 08:27 AM
Played board games with my in-laws and I won every time. Woot!

Barraza
11-27-2009, 08:31 AM
Played board games with my in-laws and I won every time. Woot!Played a weird (board?) game called "What's yours like?" Has anyone ever heard of it? It's pretty awkward to listen to your aunt ask your gay cousin what his is like. (Incidentally: about an iPod).

What board games were played?