PDA

View Full Version : How is the translation?

DarkMassacre
11-24-2009, 11:45 PM
I've never played Final Fantasy Tactics (unforgivable sin, I know) and recently felt like giving it a try. I was wondering if I should play the PSN or PSP version. I don't have a PSP now so if I chose it I'd have to wait. I know that there is extra stuff in the PSP version and extra stuff is always nice but I can do without it. However, I'm a real stickler for a better translation when I can get one. I can stand bad translations (as long as they aren't too bad, I did play JRPGs in the 90s so I can stomach them). I don't mind the psudo-Shakesperian thing they added to the game, so don't bother mentioned that as a pro or con (unless it really enhances or drags down the script). So, I guess what I'm trying to ask is, is the original Playstation version's script really that bad or should I go ahead and download the game tomorrow? Or should I stay far away from it and wait until I get a PSP and just get WOTL?

Khimbar2775
11-24-2009, 11:56 PM
Well, ill say this:

when i was growing up, FFT was one of the games that i lived and breathed (among FFVII and Secret of Mana). And the translations are *perfectly* reasonable. seems like perfectly plain english. and a fair amount of extras to begin with.

I also own the PSP version, because i, over time, lost my PSX copy. You are right in guessing theres a Shakepearian accent thrown over the translations, and the extras, that *I* am aware of, are two additional classes (Onion Knight and Dark Knight, i think both are from FFIII) and two additional "Special" characters. Luso (who is apparently form the FFTA games, im not sure, ive never played them) who is a direct clone of Ramza, class wise, and also Balthier (from FFXII, as far as i can see, he is a Mustadio clone with some Thief stealing abilities as part of the class as well).

the PSP version also has animated cutscenes and gives voice to the characters, which i thought was really cool.

And that is all of my information i can offer to help.

Raistlin
11-25-2009, 02:20 AM
The original version is perfectly playable. The PSP version is definitely more polished and it has some extra stuff thrown in, but I and many others considered FFT one of the best in the series before the PSP even existed.

NeoCracker
11-25-2009, 02:31 AM
I love the original FF Tactics, but I don't see how anyone could call that script good compared to the PSP remake. The English was, in many places, terrible, and at times just plain silly. Such as the line 'Rebels plotting rebellion'. The PSP script is much, much more polished and reads far better.

That asside, however, it's basically the same game. If you're going to get a PSP, and you either don't have an issue with small screens, or have the cords to hook it up to the TV, get the PSP version. Though if small screens bother you, and you can't hook it up to the TV, go ahead and stick with the PS1 version, cause as unpolished as the script can get, it's still not so bad that it will make you hate the game, and it's still easy enough to figure out whats going on.

Wolf Kanno
11-25-2009, 05:04 AM
The only way you can screw yourself is by not playing it. Both versions are great but in terms of translation, the PSP version is much better though I do miss some of the Japanese (Hokuten/Nanten) but the "old english" VO for the PSP version works wonders for immersion and the cutscenes are gorgeous.

I tend to move towards the PSP version cause its got the better translation and the extra features are quite nice but in the end, you can't really go wrong with either entry.

McLovin'
11-26-2009, 07:27 AM
Well you can get a a PSP and buy it and then you'll be able to buy a lot more games given that you have the console now whereas if you buy the PSN version, that's all you get.

BG-57
11-26-2009, 02:14 PM
A note to completionists: the PSN version is much easier to get everything, for several reasons:

1) Fewer things to get.

2) There are exploitable glitches that the PSP version fixed.

3) Some PSP items can only be acquired through cooperative gameplay.

Khimbar2775
11-26-2009, 04:47 PM
A note to completionists: the PSN version is much easier to get everything, for several reasons:

1) Fewer things to get.

2) There are exploitable glitches that the PSP version fixed.

3) Some PSP items can only be acquired through cooperative gameplay.

like having five people dual-wielding Excaliburs and Save the Queens? :D

BG-57
11-26-2009, 11:49 PM
Actually no, but that sounds like fun. :D

I used the dupe glitch mainly for copying the best Samurai swords. Made Draw Out totally worthwhile as a skillset. And yes you could go and Catch them in Deep Dungeon, but it's a lot of time to spend on item farming.

VeloZer0
11-27-2009, 05:01 AM
I took the time to catch items I wanted to equip, but catch-farming items do use in Draw Out? That would be hardcore.

BG-57
11-27-2009, 02:17 PM
That's why I didn't bother. But it changed the dynamics of Samurai because the top tier swords were so rare, I was afraid to use them. Whereas by duping them it made the whole skillset much more attractive.

Khimbar2775
11-27-2009, 08:33 PM
i completely understand BG-57.

everytime i played through FFT, i would always buy three of each samurai sword, one to equip, and two to draw from. and if one broke, i only used it out of necessity until i could replace the broken one. :P

VeloZer0
11-27-2009, 10:45 PM
Only 3? I bought like 8-12

Khimbar2775
11-27-2009, 11:22 PM
i only had one samurai at a time usually, :P when i eventually had more, i would, at that point in time, have 6-8 as well. but of all my clearings of FFT, i only went through the entirety of Deep Dungeon twice. (once on psx, once psp, actually) i missed the old psx names though the second go around

BG-57
11-28-2009, 02:08 AM
The best salute to Apocalypse Now I've ever seen.

I usually tried to have at least 10 of each until my Gil stash became enormous due to overleveling.

VeloZer0
11-28-2009, 02:34 AM
I have heard that the Deep Dungeon level names reference Apocalypse Now, but the only know I know of are MLAPAN (Napalm backwards) and NOGAIS (anagram of Saigon), which are just Vietnam war references in general. Do any of the other level names have any significance?

BG-57
11-28-2009, 02:46 PM
Terminate: comes from the CIA phrase 'terminate with extreme prejudice', code words for assassination.
Delta: refers to a river delta, where much of the fighting took place.
Valkyries: refers to 'Ride of the Valkyries', an operatic piece by Wagner that is blared from helicopters as they strafe a village.
Tiger: the boat crew encounters a tiger.
Bridge: The Do Long bridge is an American outpost.
Voyage: the whole movie is a voyage to find Kurtz.
Horror: Kurtz's final words are: 'the horror, the horror'.
End: self-explanitory.

Khimbar2775
11-28-2009, 03:43 PM
well put BG-57, well put...
i never actually saw "Apocalypse Now" until far after i read "Heart of Darkness," so i obviously drew lots of comparisons when i watched

BG-57
11-28-2009, 04:10 PM
I guess what baffles me is the inclusion in this game, unless the game makers happened to be fans of that movie.

The whole Reis/Beowulf subplot was cut whole cloth from another movie: Ladyhawke, where the heroic knight and his lady were cursed by a poweful preist and both transformed into animals (he into a wolf, she into a hawk). The sadistic twist is that one transforms at night the other during the day, so they're never together as humans. It's a very enjoyable film, although the keyboard soundtrack really dates it.

Bolivar
11-30-2009, 06:37 PM
I like the original translation better on PSOne/PSN. The Japanese names for things like the Knights are just cooler, and I like the quirky mistranslations/weird sentences because it just has that raw feeling to it.

My recommendation would be the original but I've seen a lot from the PSP version and I would say they both have advantages over the other. You really can't go wrong.

Kyros
11-30-2009, 08:57 PM
PSP has Luso, which is Ramza with an innate "poach" with his squire class. Everything else aside, this makes the PSP version better end of discussion. You also get Balthier, which is pretty cool though I dont care to use him, and theres several extra things to do like the Beowulf/Reis extra stuff that was mentioned (you can steal SUPER ULTRA MEGA FAT loots from this).

*I also decided to try Reis on my current file only to find out she has the best stat growth in the game so now I am amazed (take that Orlandeau!).