PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 games of 2009

NeoCracker
11-27-2009, 09:52 AM
True, tis a little early, but since next to nothing is coming out in the next couple months worth mentioning (Spirit Tracks probably being the only exception) seems like a good a time as any to start on our lists.

10. Katamari Forever (PS3)

I am likely the only person to put this on my list, and I can understand why others wouldn't. It's a mindlessly simple game, and it has barely changed at all from it's predescessors. However, the game manages to still look great, include some fun modes, including Classic Katamari, and included a jump feature. The game manages to hold onto the humour of the others, keeping me laughing and enjoying the game all the way through.

9. Batman: Arkum Asylum (PS3, X360)

The biggest reason this is on the list is finally we have a batman game that feels like batman. The stealth is very well done, and the normal battle system runs smoothly and is a wonder to behold. The music and artwork are all awesome as well, and the voice acting as marvously done.

One of the biggest problems with this game are the combat can possibly get old after a while. While it's fun, solid and fluid, it tends to get repetitive.

The other is detective vission. As great a feature as it is, it'll be on a LOT, and you'll end up missing out on the amazing level design in favor of combat efficiency.

Finally, the biggest problem, is the dissapointing boss battles. Honestly, the only fight that wasn't underwhelming were the scarecrow levels. The Scarecrow levels were imaginate, and managed to keep a strong Nightmarish feel, as a world created of Scarecrows fear toxins should be. Killer Croc, who is massively hyped in game, is little more then a 'run away' type fight, and don't even get me started on "The Joker' fight.

Overall though, what makes this game good is done amazingly well.

8. Demon Souls - PS3

This game is awesome, pure and simple. It's challanging, its beautiful, and its highly customizable. The character and monster designs are great, and many of the boss fights are imaginative and fun as hell.

The biggest issue of this game comes from one o fit's greatest strengths, it's challanging. As fuck. This game is made to make use of the multiplayer soul summoning. The problem is, many times you'll find yourself in need of another players help, but you must wait until you can actually get another player of similar level to you, and that can take a while. A long while. And if you don't have an internet connection, you are essentially screwed.

7. Blazblu: Calamity Trigger (PS3, X360)

This, to me, is the definitive 2D fighter. The artwork is beautiful, the story is probably the best of any fighter I've ever played, and the game play is smooth. Though it only has a roster of 13, there's plenty of fun ways to play each character, so you'll never find yourself getting bored. The fighters are all very definitive and unique in the way that they play, much more so then in most fighting games.

To be honest, the only reason this game isn't higher is I've always had a preference for 3D fighters, and while I can't find many problems with this game, it's just not a Genre I enjoy as much as others. Though the fact it made it on my list is definately a sign of it's greatness.

6. Brutal Legend (PS3, 360)

Easily the biggest reason to love this game is the world. It has what is easily one of the most beautifully rendered and imaginative worlds in any game I have ever played.

The humor is definitely top notch, and the music selection, as well as the option to stop playing the songs you don't like while riding your Druid Plow, is simply amazing. The VA's are also surprising, getting the Likes of Ozzy, Rob Halford, and Lemming to all come in and do voices.

What keeps this game down is the gameplay. Don't get me wrong, the gameplay is very well handled. But the pure 'action' portions of the game are kind of dull when compared to other action games out there. Well done, but not that good. The RTS segmants, the real imaginative portion, kind of falls too. Again, it's very fun and imaginative, but it is a big focus on the RTS, and not enough on the action. The problem with this is that it doesn't stack up to a full on RTS, so it shouldn't have put as much focus on that portion. Again, it's very well done and fun to play, it just falls so short of what it could have been.

5. Muramasa: The Demon Blade (Wii)

This game is pure, Sidescrolling win. The only game I felt was a better side scroller was Odin Sphere. The graphics are beautifully drawn. It may not be as graphically powerful as games on the other system, but that doesn't stop it from looking damn beautiful.

The combat, like most others on this list, is very smooth. Though it does get repative.

The games biggest flaws are the following.

While combat is awesome and fun, it's only ever fought on one flat surface, a few layers of flat surfaces. Rarely do you get a full area of Baddies to run through and beat, mostly it's just in a small area at a time.

The other problem is most of the 6 endings are rather boring. Mind you, the good ones are awesome. Very awesome. But some of them just feel like they weren't even trying, making a lot of the extra effort to get those endings feel like wasted time.

Overall, however, this is easilly one of the best Wii games to date, and a must play for any Wii owner.

4. Tekken 6 - (PS3, X360)

This is the definitive Tekken experience. It plays smoother then any other Tekken to date, the graphics are very polished, and it's added even more characters.

There isn't much to say other then if you like Tekken, you'll like this game. If you never got into tekken before, you probably won't like this game.

The story, while good for a fighting game, is bogged down by a sup-par campaign mode. It is basically a slightly improved Tekken Force mode, though it's not good enough to be used for the main Campaign.

Thats really all there is to say about this one.

3. Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (DS)

This is another one there isn't much to say about. Most people already have their opionions on Dragon Quest. This, to me, is easily the funnest one. The story is very well told, taking place over the course of the main characters life, from the time he was a young boy, to the final battle in which he already has two young kids.

With the inclusion of a third bride, this remake easily trumps the original.

There are many monsters you can use to form your parties, though saddly the selection of human characters is painfully small and uninteresting, your family are likely the only ones you'll ever use.

And, on a final note, Deborah is HOT. :love:

2. inFAMOUS (PS3)

I wasn't sure if this or DQV should be at number 2, and if you ask me on a different day, I'd probably put that one at 2 instead, so you could call my choices for 2 and 3 a tie.

Infamous is easily one of the best action games to date. The battles aren't just run in and smash things, with some timed dodges and blocks like the others. This is a third person stratagy game that involves using your enviroment, ducking behind cover, and adjusting stratagies depending on where you are fighting, and what it is you are fighting.

The graphics in this game are beautiful. The world design perfectly sets up the mood of the game. You really feel as though the city has been slowly diving into chaos since the Lock Down.

It also has arguable the best story of any Action game to date, and is my favorite one at that. It is original, dark, twisted and fun. Though that does lead to one of the games biggest issues, the moral system. In the end, no matter what you did it doesn't effect much of anything, and the only purpose it really served was to pick the powers you wanted. This game would have been much better off fixing a more solid story and dropping the alignment, then letting you chose the path your powers grew yourself.

The only other flaw in this game is big. The auto-ledge grabbing. Don't get me wrong, this system works so amazingly well in combat I don't want it gone, but outside of combat it's nothing more then a hassle. It takes far to long to scale a building, and causes the overall world exploring to be dragged down significantly due to how often cole will be grabbing Ledges for no reason, which is even more annoying when trying to climb down a building.

A simple option to hold down a button so that cole wouldn't auto-grab could fix this however, but alas tis to late to include it I'd imagine. :(
#1, I give an honorable mention.

Mad World. Now this game is amazing, Actually, theres almost nothing wrong with this game. The graphics and art flow amazing and look beautiful, the characters are fun, the dialogue and voice acting is superb, and it has some of the best combat ever. It's simple, it's fun, and you feel like you're accomplishing something.

The humour is even better then that of Brutal Legend. The announcers always have something funny to say, and while some things get repeated a lot, it manages to stay amusing the whole time, and every boss fight you are garunteed to hear one announcer talk about how that boss once did something to his nuts. :p

Hell, even the credits are pure comedy gold. It's 4 minutes of the announcers :bou::bou::bou::bou: talking everyone in the credits.

So you may ask why does a game I give so much praise not even make my list?

Because this game has one massively glaring flaw that I can't over look. There is no reason this game shouldn't have matched, if not beat inFamous on my list, but the fact remains it only took me 3 hours to beat the game. And this game doesn't have a Multiplayer mode thats worth playing. There is no excuse for a 3 hour campaign in a game with a single player focus, and a multiplayer afterthought.

Now, you will get my #1 later, as well as another honorable mention, after I'm off work, cause if I keep writing now I'll be late. :p

Slothy
11-27-2009, 11:56 AM
Interesting list. I think it shows our different tastes that you have some one there that I wouldn't even rank near my top ten. I would give my top ten right now, but it will have to wait until after Christmas instead since I know I'm getting four games released this year that I'm really looking forward to (including Demon's Souls and BlazBlu which made your list). All I could say for certain is that both Uncharted 2 and L4D2 would be on it somewhere. After those I'd need to do some thinking.

Meat Puppet
11-27-2009, 12:47 PM
4. The Lost and Damned
3. Left 4 Dead 2
2. The Ballad of Gay Tony

Aerith's Knight
11-27-2009, 12:52 PM
Tekken in the top 5?

Puh-lease, doing something 10000 times in the exact same way with hardly any story at all... That's hardly a game. That's Wii-sports for violent types.

Jiro
11-27-2009, 01:26 PM
3. Left 4 Dead 2

I can't agree with you on this because the Australian copy is butchered :mad2: Oh and I haven't played it. But I can guess well enough and if it's an improvement on the first one then I won't argue with it's placing.

Slothy
11-27-2009, 02:22 PM
3. Left 4 Dead 2

I can't agree with you on this because the Australian copy is butchered :mad2: Oh and I haven't played it. But I can guess well enough and if it's an improvement on the first one then I won't argue with it's placing.

Looking at the Wikipedia entry on it they really did butcher it didn't they. It's a shame too because I can honestly say that it's ten times better than the original, with the new gore and dismemberment effects being highly entertaining and probably the best I've seen in any game. Ever.

Rocket Edge
11-27-2009, 02:55 PM
Tekken in the top 5?

Puh-lease, doing something 10000 times in the exact same way with hardly any story at all... That's hardly a game. That's Wii-sports for violent types.
What are you talking about? Playing Tekken among other games with such intention is for casual gaming with friends so you can have a laugh. Wasn't gaming always on that basis more or less since the PS1 came out? Anyway, I don't have a list because I only bought 3 games this year, all at Autumn.

3: FIFA 10
2: Tekken 6
1: Modern Warfare 2

Yeah.. not really much chance of competition there. I'll be getting Uncharted 2 at xmas so the number 1 slot will hopefully be reshuffled.

Psychotic
11-27-2009, 05:27 PM
cba to do 10 but in no particular order

- Resident Evil 5
- Halo 3: ODST
- Ballad of Gay Tony / TLAD
- UFC 2009 Undisputed
- PES 2010 (sorry Donal)
- Scribblenauts
Oh and Point Lookout for Fallout 3 if DLC is allowed. Which it should be. :colbert:

Assassin's Creed II may join this list if I play it before 2010.

Shoeberto
11-27-2009, 07:23 PM
Christ, I just realized that I don't think I've played a single new game from 2009. Well, aside from GTA Chinatown Wars on DS, which was a pretty fantastic game.

I could probably do a pretty well qualified top 10 list from 2008, though, seeing as how most of the games I've purchased recently came out then.

Depression Moon
11-27-2009, 08:05 PM
I haven't played too many this year and so my list will be short.

Street Fighter IV
Tekken 6

Out of the two I would have to put T6 up higher. SF is better with it's online features and it has more battle options, but to me the game feels it has balance issues and I generally stink at it, some people say it;'s because I choose to play with weak characters like C. Viper, Rose, and Dhalsim, but I think it's just my skill.

I had a lot more fun learning new characters in Tekken and it didn't involve going crazy because I found it impossible for a month to do any of Chun Li's moves versus in Tekken which has a larger command list. I can do roughly 90% of most characters' moves.

Tekken 6 also has a deep customization option. Some character barely have any choices though.

NeoCracker
11-27-2009, 08:29 PM
Interesting list. I think it shows our different tastes that you have some one there that I wouldn't even rank near my top ten. I would give my top ten right now, but it will have to wait until after Christmas instead since I know I'm getting four games released this year that I'm really looking forward to (including Demon's Souls and BlazBlu which made your list). All I could say for certain is that both Uncharted 2 and L4D2 would be on it somewhere. After those I'd need to do some thinking.

Admittingly I have yet to play the Uncharted games, so for all I know that could be on my list were I to give it a try, its just I have and had way to many pre-orders to pay off, and to much other things to get, so Uncharted took a back seat to everything else.

And, for to finish my list, I give the number one spot to Dragon Age: Origins.

I am a huge RPG buff, as many of you may know by now, so this was an obvious pick for me. It fits my favorite Genre of gaming, it gives me a lively cast of characters to form a party with, and it's one of the only games that, outside of Multiplayer, I've wanted to do multiple playthroughs of.

Don't think I'll go into to much details, as by now most people already know if they'd like it or not, and why it is just so awesome.

Markus. D
11-27-2009, 08:32 PM
5. Median XL
I can't go back to Diablo II, I've adapted to Median XL and it's Assassins that like to peg cryo lasers...

4. Street Fighter IV
I'm just so happy to see this game existing, it really is quite wonderful.

3. Touhou 12.3
Possibly the greatest fighting game I've played ever, I love the coverage aspect, I love the need to zone with danmaku, it's different and it works.

2. Ballad of Gay Tony
It really gives an oomph to a game that has been pwning all sorts of face all year.

1. I know it is from way back but... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7SlEEPhEWA) *click*
It will probably be my favorite RPG of all time... the latter half of the game is constantly unfair and it's been a pleasure going through it multiple times on multiple difficulties with different toons.
If anyone ever crosses this game and wants to experience the deeper storyline, choose: "No Me, No Kormir."
A free Necro does sound tempting, but Margrid The Sly is far more interesting... and you'll be missing important events in the general weave of things.

Shattered Dreamer
11-27-2009, 08:44 PM
I haven't played 10 games released in 2009 so in no particular order:

Fifa 10
Batman Arkham Asylum
Tekken 6
Resident Evil 5
GTA: Chinatown Wars

Depression Moon
11-27-2009, 09:32 PM
oh snap man thanks neo for reminding me of something. I forgot I have3 Uncharted 2 as well and I just played it this morning. I cahnge my mind and pick this as my best of the year. T6 is great, but Uncharted 2 shows what video games can really be.

Dreddz
11-27-2009, 11:05 PM
I cant do a top 10 just because I have a hard time actually knowing if I enjoyed one game over another. Ill just list the games that stood out for me this year.

Killzone 2
Persona 4
Shatter
Flower
Street Fighter IV

You can also add Motorstorm Pacific Rift and COD4 to that list if we're counting games released prior to 2009. I'd probably say I had the most fun with Motorstorm this year to be honest.

Nifleheim7
11-28-2009, 04:31 AM
1.Demon's Souls

v

2.Uncharted 2
3.Gran turismo PSP
4.Resident Evil 5
5.Flower
6.Dissidia Final Fantasy

Some other games that i bought this year and enjoyed (but didn't spend enough time on them to have a solid opinion) are: Dragon Quest V,Monster Hunter Freedom Unite,FFIV:The After Years,FFCC:Echoes of Time and Little King's Story.

EDIT:Oh and i forgot Tekken 6.This was the disappointment of the year for me.

ljkkjlcm9
11-28-2009, 04:56 AM
Is it sad that I don't remember all the games from this year that I purchased?
The memorable ones include (kinda in order)
Demon's Souls PS3
Assassin's Creed 2 PS3
Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story DS
Muramasa: The Demon Blade Wii
New Super Mario Bros Wii
Dragon Age Origins PC
Infamous PS3
The Conduit Wii
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time DS
Scribblenauts DS

that's a decent top 10, good mix of Wii (3 games) PS3 (3 games) DS (3 games) and PC (1 game)
There were definitely more great games, like Borderlands, or Metroid Prime Trilogy, but these are probably the most memorable for me.

THE JACKEL

Bolivar
11-28-2009, 05:13 AM
Hmm, well top 10 favorite in no order:

inFAMOUS
Killzone 2
Modern Warfare 2
Demon's Souls
Battlefield 1943
Uncharted 2
Batman
MAG - played just as much in the beta as full games.
God of War collection count?

Still haven't played ACII, Borderlands, or DA: Origins, I'm sure they'd fit on there somehow. I guess maybe top 5 i could come up with an actual list...

Vermachtnis
11-28-2009, 07:35 AM
6. Mana Khemia 2
Again fun game with great music. I liked the soundtrack more than the first. Really the only downside is that it's kind of a rehash of the first game and Lily and Whim got on my nerves. Favorite character was Et and Ulrika.

5. Devil Survivor
Turn based RPG plus Tactical RPG was awesome. And it's Atlus so it's pretty hard. Stupid Beldr. And with 7+ endings and fusing and our old friend Lucifer showing up, there's plenty to do after the initial romp. Favorite character was Midori.

4. Unthinkable Natural Law
Like Markus said. This was a fun fighting game. And you get to fight a giant cat fish. Utsuho may just be one of the most funnest characters to play as ever.

3. Persona 4
Fun game with lots to do and excellent voice acting. Pretty good length too. And a very nice soundtrack. Loved all the characters too. Favorite character is Chie.

2. Ar Tonelico 2
Amazing soundtrack. Interesting characters. Easy gameplay. AMAZING SOUNDTRACK. I love the music to this game. One of my major complaints though is Lady Cloche is a pretty cool character deep down. Problem is she's in full tsun mode when you meet and don't see her cool side until after you're locked out of her ending. Favorite character was Mir.

1. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon
Gotta love that title. Dunno what it is that made me put it at top, but something about this game just stands out above the above. Maybe it was the super cool box with Raiho Plus, maybe it was the soundtrack, maybe it was the story, maybe it was Moh Shuvuu. Yea it was probably Moh Shuvuu. Anyway they really amped up the combat in this game. You can summon two demons to fight along side you and the LAW<->CHAOS scale is in it as well. Also if you put enough time and effort you can have almost any demon with any move set. So yeah I kept Moh Shuvuu with me the entire game and she never got weak.

NeoCracker
11-28-2009, 11:11 AM
Had Persona 4 been released in 2009 in the US it would definately have made my list, though here it came out in December 2008. :p

Croyles
11-29-2009, 05:21 AM
I got 7.

7. Fallout 3
6. inFamous
5. Batman Arkham Asylum
4. Killzone 2
3. Assassin's Creed 2
2. Dragon Age: Origins (PC)
1. Uncharted 2

If I had played them yet I would might of put Demon's Souls and Torchlight in there too.

I Took the Red Pill
11-29-2009, 05:24 AM
Dragon Age: Origins and Borderlands are the only new games I've put any sort of time into recently. And they both rock my world. :choc:

Meat Puppet
11-30-2009, 07:56 PM
3. Left 4 Dead 2

Mighty Ape: Buy Left 4 Dead 2 (Uncut) (Xbox 360) (http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/Xbox-360/Left-4-Dead-2-Uncut/2810528/) or something similar