PDA

View Full Version : is my monitor dying?

~*~Celes~*~
11-28-2009, 06:31 AM
Sometimes when my computer sits idle long enough for the screen to go black (i have it set to do that instead of a screen saver), I can't bring my computer back out of it. The monitor's power button is green, stating that it's on, but no matter how many times i click my mouse and hit keys on the keyboard, it doesn't come out of idle mode.

Could this be my monitor dying? I checked and it didn't seem like any of the cables were loose but I could be wrong.

BTW, this is a recent thing. It's only happened twice so far, and simply turning the monitor off and turning it back on fixes it.

Slothy
11-28-2009, 12:21 PM
Well if turning it off and on fixes it then it's definitely a monitor problem. It might be on it's way out but as long as that simple fix works I wouldn't be too bothered worrying about it. Just keep in mind that you might have to replace it if it suddenly gets worse. I'd start saving now.

~*~Celes~*~
11-28-2009, 05:18 PM
Well if turning it off and on fixes it then it's definitely a monitor problem. It might be on it's way out but as long as that simple fix works I wouldn't be too bothered worrying about it. Just keep in mind that you might have to replace it if it suddenly gets worse. I'd start saving now.

exactly as i figured :\

It was a little harder to resurrect this time around, I had to do it quite a few times. I think it does have something to do with the cables though cause as soon as i moved it, it was easier to resurrect..

Mirage
11-28-2009, 05:28 PM
Could be that your PC isn't "waking" the monitor up properly too, perhaps. And as you said, poor connectivity. Try unplugging the display signal cable (the one between the PC and monitor) in both ends and reattaching them.

~*~Celes~*~
11-28-2009, 05:33 PM
Ok, I'll try that and I'll update on how it works.

~*~Celes~*~
11-28-2009, 05:44 PM
Well, I reattached the cable as you suggested, even flipped it so the end that was inserted into the pc is now inserted into the monitor. Doubt it will help any but oh well :p

Shall see how it works. Didn't have any trouble turning it back on, but who knows.

Slothy
11-28-2009, 06:21 PM
Hmm, if it is the cables you might want to try a new one. Maybe borrow one from someone if you can to try out. It'd be cheaper than a new monitor if that is the problem.

~*~Celes~*~
11-28-2009, 06:23 PM
if the problem persists, that'll be my first course of action. If that doesn't fix it, I think I'll need a new monitor. I probably shoudn't have much trouble finding one exactly like my current one used (Dell '04 17" flatscreen *waits for the DELL IS CRAP WTF GET NEW COMPUTER NAO group to show up*) and, thus, rather cheap, so at least I won't be spending a million $$ if it does die! :jess:

~*~Celes~*~
11-28-2009, 07:38 PM
update: I just pulled my pc out of idle mode for the first time since re-connecting the cable as suggested and I had absolutely no difficulty. Thanks for the help Ståle and Vivi, you guys rawk :kiss:

Mirage
11-28-2009, 09:58 PM
Did you remember to fasten those two screws on the connectors?

Btw your new monitor wouldn't have to be the exact same as your old one. Practically all monitors sold today use the same cables.

~*~Celes~*~
11-28-2009, 10:17 PM
yes i did, hehe.

And, well...erm, yeah. I didn't think about that one...How silly of me :p

Shadow Bahamut
11-28-2009, 10:23 PM
Btw your new monitor wouldn't have to be the exact same as your old one. Practically all monitors sold today use the same cables.

This is true, but beware of extreme cheapo tat. I've always maintained that if you go middle of the range, you can't go far wrong. If something is too cheap, it usually means its been made with cheap materials by cheap labour. If its too expensive, you're throwing money away to someone who's rather undeserving. So, i stick to the middle. Usually its a good brand name, i'm currently using a HP w2216 flat monitor, which isnt "cheap", but it's not as expensive as the equivalent samsung.

~*~Celes~*~
11-28-2009, 10:28 PM
i shall keep that in mind sweetie, thanks.

Black Magic Shopkeeper
11-29-2009, 05:42 AM
For the record, I misread that as "Is my mother dying".

Tra la la. Anyway, my monitor might be dying as well. Probably because my cat likes to sleep on top of it. Every now and then the Monitor's "Menu" screen will pop up and get in the way, and sometimes when I hit the Menu button on the Monitor to shut the menu OFF.... it doesn't do it. The connection is fine.
That cat is squishing my monitor by the hour.

How long do you bet it has?

~*~Celes~*~
11-29-2009, 10:50 AM
:o I assure you my mother is in perfectly good health but that is amusing and I can see why you'd see that instead xD

I bet your monitor will last...hrm...3 weeks!

Shadow Bahamut
11-29-2009, 01:07 PM
i'd rather bet on it being a software issue rather than the actual monitor tbh...

~*~Celes~*~
11-29-2009, 01:08 PM
WELL WE CAN PRETEND

Black Magic Shopkeeper
12-01-2009, 02:18 AM
YEAH, DAMMIT.
I think software issues are more expensive than simply replacing the monitor.

God, and I'm so poor. TT_TT

Mirage
12-01-2009, 02:39 AM
They're not, just reinstall :p.

Black Magic Shopkeeper
12-01-2009, 04:17 AM
Oh.

But seriously speaking, how would the Monitor's menu have anything to do with software? The menu buttons on the monitor do nothing but adjust screen shape, screen size, rotation, sleep, and light/darkness...of the screen.

On the monitor.

Shadow Bahamut
12-01-2009, 08:55 PM
Oh.

But seriously speaking, how would the Monitor's menu have anything to do with software? The menu buttons on the monitor do nothing but adjust screen shape, screen size, rotation, sleep, and light/darkness...of the screen.

On the monitor.

oh, i thought you meant a menu in the computer system...

I CANT HELP I'M AN ARTARD! :colbert: