PDA

View Full Version : Art rock super group. :o

Moon Rabbits
11-29-2009, 09:25 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_8ieo3ajfzp4/SP6ooulSGBI/AAAAAAAAACQ/waAIE7q6B-8/s400/zola+jesus+poor+sons.jpg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTE9pQ-53sc)

+

http://rockstarjournalism.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/thissongheader1.jpg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqL716m26m0)

+

http://www.bzangygroink.co.uk/images/A2004/xiu.jpg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OijWHn3L8Ss)

=

http://cdn.stereogum.com/img/former-ghosts-unfolding.jpg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VXLnwHCmtk)

Those are links, so listen, learn, love!

Are there any fans of any of these musicians here? Because they're all sooooooo awesome. Somehow I'm doubting it, though :(

eestlinc
11-29-2009, 10:01 PM
Xiu Xiu is pretty good. The new project is probably good too.

charliepanayi
11-29-2009, 10:07 PM
I have heard a fair bit of Xiu Xiu, some of it is a little too abrasive for me, but Fabulous Muscles is a pretty good album.

The best 'supergroup' is still Broken Social Scene!

Breine
11-29-2009, 10:27 PM
I've heard some good things about Xiu Xiu, so I need to give them more of a proper listen than I have up until this point. Gave Zola Jesus, Freddy Ruppert and Former Ghosts a quick listen too, but it's getting late here and I'm tired.. so I'll wait until tomorrow to give it a proper go.

What I did manage hear was pretty promising and interesting.

Moon Rabbits
11-30-2009, 12:24 AM
I've heard some good things about Xiu Xiu, so I need to give them more of a proper listen than I have up until this point. Gave Zola Jesus, Freddy Ruppert and Former Ghosts a quick listen too, but it's getting late here and I'm tired.. so I'll wait until tomorrow to give it a proper go.

What I did manage hear was pretty promising and interesting.

Imo, Freddy Ruppert's solo stuff is merely "meh." Nika Roza's Zola Jesus is fucking amazing though. And I'm a really big fan of Ruppert's work in Former Ghosts (he's pretty much the 'front man' of the band).

And I'm a complete hysterical angsty wrist cutting teenager for Xiu Xiu.

guffman
12-02-2009, 12:20 AM
wow... this might be the most pretentious post i have ever seen on this board...

charliepanayi
12-02-2009, 07:23 AM
wow... this might be the most pretentious post i have ever seen on this board...

Yes, god forbid someone talk about music that isn't known to millions.

NeoCracker
12-02-2009, 08:02 AM
I was thinking about commenting on each song individually, but the same thing came to my mind for each one of those tracks.

The music playing was nothing but annoying, and just plain unpleasant to listen to.

Moon Rabbits
12-02-2009, 08:20 AM

I'm glad I took the honor. I'm failing to see the pretension, though. Was it when I called the music "fag art rock?" Cuz I was kind of aiming for that to be ironic or something, I don't actually enjoy or use the term "art rock." Or was it when I talked about the musicians here:

Imo, Freddy Ruppert's solo stuff is merely "meh." Nika Roza's Zola Jesus is smurfing amazing though. And I'm a really big fan of Ruppert's work in Former Ghosts (he's pretty much the 'front man' of the band).

And I'm a complete hysterical angsty wrist cutting teenager for Xiu Xiu.

I ... I don't get what I did that was pretentious there either. Just stating an opinion. I wonder if I would be pretentious if I said something like "Hollywood Rose's stuff is merely meh but I'm a really big fan of Axl's work in Guns n Roses." Seriously I'm confused. Similarly, I thought that "hysterical angsty wrist cutting teenager" sort of made it clear I don't take myself that seriously.

Or maybe you think I'm pretentious just because of the music that was posted. I listen to Lady Gaga and Madonna, and saw Britney Spears in concert, love~~ Maybe you should look up the definition of pretentious, though :( I'm not the one putting myself up as though I deserve some sort of recognition or like my musical taste is of more importance than someone else's ... you apparently think yours is, though. :love: :love:

Also @charliepayani - I've never gave BSS a proper listen :( I don't really know any of the musicians involved though ... mostly I like them because they're from my city > _ > ~~~ tee hee~~ I know the one guy is / was dating Feist though, which is kinda neat.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-02-2009, 10:13 AM
Was it when I called the music "fag art rock?" Cuz I was kind of aiming for that to be ironic or something, I don't actually enjoy or use the term "art rock."

Ironic or not, you can't use epithets of hate around here.

Breine
12-02-2009, 07:00 PM
I like what I've heard of Former Ghosts' work. "Hold On" and especially "The Bull and the Ram" are good. That Nika Roza has a really interesting voice. Looking forward to getting more into her Zola Jesus project.

I thought Freddy Ruppert's solo thing, This Song Is A Mess But So Am I, was okay. I liked "Peregrine" and "Lonely Way" the best. But yeah, it seems like he's better in Former Ghosts.

Moon Rabbits
12-02-2009, 07:12 PM
I like what I've heard of Former Ghosts' work. "Hold On" and especially "The Bull and the Ram" are good. That Nika Roza has a really interesting voice. Looking forward to getting more into her Zola Jesus project.

I thought Freddy Ruppert's solo thing, This Song Is A Mess But So Am I, was okay. I liked "Peregrine" and "Lonely Way" the best. But yeah, it seems like he's better in Former Ghosts.

The songs that Nika Roza sings on in Former Ghosts are awesome. The Bull and the Ram is one of my favorite songs period - her voice is sooooooo strong~~~ She reminds me of Kate Bush, in a way. In Earth's Palm is the other song she does vox for, it's also great.

Momiji
12-02-2009, 07:36 PM

You clearly haven't really looked around much here, have you?

Anyway I listened to some of that stuff. Not too bad. :)

guffman
12-02-2009, 10:14 PM
i dont care about the music im not calling that pretentious im calling your post pretentious.

Are there any fans of any of these musicians here? Because they're all sooooooo awesome. Somehow I'm doubting it, though

you just assume that no one has heard of your music... thats what is pretentious to me. i have heard these bands before, and i am sure lots of other people on this board have as well. it's just insulting to people to assume that your musical knowledge of indie bands is superior.

Moon Rabbits
12-02-2009, 10:22 PM
i dont care about the music im not calling that pretentious im calling your post pretentious.

Are there any fans of any of these musicians here? Because they're all sooooooo awesome. Somehow I'm doubting it, though

you just assume that no one has heard of your music... thats what is pretentious to me. i have heard these bands before, and i am sure lots of other people on this board have as well. it's just insulting to people to assume that your musical knowledge of indie bands is superior.

Oh lovey~~ I wasn't assuming my musical knowledge of indie bands is superior. I don't listen to that much indie music at all - pretty much these artists~~~ You or charliepayani probably have far more extensive knowledge in that regard. I said that because, in all honesty, I wasn't expecting fans of this kind of noise to frequent a Final Fantasy message board. And I wasn't asking if they've heard of the music, either, I was asking if they were fans. Xiu Xiu is a very abrasive band that a lot of people have a seething hatred for ;)~ Either way, I still don't see the pretension - it's not like these are popular bands.

I'm going to resume listening to Lil' Mama now, baiiiiiiiiiii, love youuuu~

charliepanayi
12-02-2009, 11:00 PM
Yeah to be honest, I wouldn't expect to find many Xiu Xiu fans on your average forum. And it was a jokey statement by Moon Rabbits when all is said and done, so I think it's rather harsh to call them pretentious.

Aurey
12-02-2009, 11:51 PM
Wow, this is thread weird (and not just because of guffman)- I just started listening to Zola Jesus recently. Really digging her stuff, especially New Amsterdam. Reminds me of U.S. Girls, except with a good singer.

Never heard of Former Ghosts, sounds kinda interesting. Although I did go through a huge Xiu Xiu phase a couple of years ago, I haven't listened to anything after Air Force, so I have no clue what they've been up to. Fabulous Muscles and Knife Play are great albums tho. As for This Song is a Mess and So Am I... could never get into him.

guffman
12-03-2009, 06:13 AM
Yeah to be honest, I wouldn't expect to find many Xiu Xiu fans on your average forum. And it was a jokey statement by Moon Rabbits when all is said and done, so I think it's rather harsh to call them pretentious.

ok maybe i was being harsh, but i just hate hipsters so much. and not that i am calling anybody one, but when the name dropping of obscure bands starts to fly i just get sick. you know? no one is better than anyone else based on what they listen to, unless its nickleback. in which case you should just stab out your eardrums, not really like your using them...;)

krissy
12-03-2009, 07:22 AM
is it still name dropping if you actually like all the obscure bands?

guffman
12-03-2009, 07:10 PM
i dont know, it all depends on the situation. see i just have a hard believing that anyone besides pitchfork likes this sort of crap. but than again no one really likes my :bou::bou::bou::bou:ty music either... oh well... to each his (or her) own.

The Man
12-04-2009, 07:46 AM
Several of my favourite artists have less than 10,000 listeners on last.fm. This makes me kvlt or something.

Also Pitchfork give hipsters a bad name by being so pretentious, but there actually are quite a few people that like the music on its own merits rather than because Pitchfork tells them to.

A bit more on-topic, I haven't heard any of the artists in the OP. I should probably remedy that.

guffman
12-05-2009, 09:31 AM
Also Pitchfork give hipsters a bad name by being so pretentious, but there actually are quite a few people that like the music on its own merits rather than because Pitchfork tells them to.

i am sure this is true, i just have a hard time believing it... some people just love to be told what to like and hate.