PDA

View Full Version : My sound won't work

LunarWeaver
11-30-2009, 11:55 PM
I got bombed by more trojans and malware than I can count out of nowhere. Long story short, it destroyed my computer to the point I had to put in the XP disc and reinstall it. I put in a Drivers disc and installed those.

Life seems in order save for my audio. It tells me I have no sound card whatsoever but I do. There isn't even volume control in the bottom right corner.

So I call the guy who built it and is a technician. He says go to System/Hardware/Device Manager. There's a ?! on PCI Device. He says that's bad. He says the Drivers disc will do it. I say I already did that. He said turn the computer off with that disc in it and boot it up again. Nothing happened. Did he mean the XP disc? I don't know. The computer already thinks I have installed 3 different versions of XP and I have to pick one when I boot it up. I'm thinking I shouldn't do it again as I clearly smurfed something up the first time. He was totally unhelpful and didn't even stick around to see if I needed more help.

It's a mess and he didn't help. What the smurf is PCI. I'm on the verge of technology emo dramatic suicide, so if anyone can help, please do. I am not tech savvy, so talk to me as if I am a retard btw.

Raistlin
12-01-2009, 12:14 AM
Three different versions of XP? It sounds like the first step should be reformating your harddrive and reinstalling Windows.

LunarWeaver
12-01-2009, 12:14 AM
Ok, I searched all over for a solution before bothering you guys, then continued to do so. I finally found some obscure forum with a fix called sp33867.exe. I figured wtf do I have to lose. Anyway, it worked. Funny that when I get exasperated enough to post it here I find a solution directly after.

Jesus Christ.

Yeah it still does think there's 3 of them. But I'm not messing with it anymore. Windows XP #2 is functioning just like it should. So whatever. I cba with it anymore. It's good enough for me.

Rostum
12-01-2009, 12:34 AM
You should really just format your computer and reinstall Windows...